RP - your legacy name

PantheraMorag

Hi

I've been wanting to post about this for a while, but the old forum was scary..

After I read about the legacy system I've been thinking a lot about how to incorporate it with my different (planned) characters, and the fact that I want to play different types of aliens.

I see the legacy name as just that, a legacy, made by one character, and being available for others as a sort of title, because they come from the same background and follow the same ideals.

[short RP-story]

My main; Faan is an imperial agent, coming from a working class family, so poor and over-worked that they weren't able to support their children. Being on her own from around age 12, Faan exhibited great survival skills, both cunning and combat, and was recruited into the army, and later being chosen as an intelligence operative.

While she supports the idea of the empire, she has a problem with authority and especially with people who use their power to abuse others. While she will lie, deceive and fight to accomplish her mission, she never forgets where she came from.

She takes a new surname (legacy name) to signify how far she has come, and the new beginning she made for herself, while respecting the traditions of her clan.

[\RP-story]

I see my legacy name as a title for those who came from nothing (slavery, poverty, orphanage), and endured a hard and depressing childhood, and want to become something more. Hard working, skeptical, and always in support of the little man.

I do see that this story pigeon holes me a bit;

All my characters must be alien (and I also want the racism sub-plot, though this isn't a problem as I was planning on all-alien anyway)

All my characters will be light-side (though my Jedi might take some dark side points)

All my characters will concistently try to choose the option that protect innocents

Most if not all my characters will have an authority problem

(finding light-side or at least "the empire is not always right" aligned guilds on my server seems a bit tricky at the moment)

But this is the way I feel the legacy system will work for me, while keeping my immersion and RP-story.

How are you dealing with the legacy name and several characters?

Well, though other races intrigue me, I figure that I'll create one of each class for the Republic, and make them all human, because in my backstory, I coincidentally gave my Jedi Consular three brothers...and there are three other classes for me to play, so...yeah, I accidentally set myself up for that one. Plus, in most MMOs, whether I RP or not, I like to make my characters related.

I'm probably not going to be treating my legacy in any in-character way. No "of the XX legacy" and no last names. Mostly because I had come up with some last names unique to my characters (whose bios got lost in the wipe so I can't link to them but oh well).

However, there are some ways you could handle it:

• Literal familial relationship: it's all near-human races after all
  • Philosophical relationship: perhaps they share a common interest/outlook (e.g., the Nietzsche legacy)
  • Organizational legacy: if otherwise unrelated characters can share a guild membership, they could also have a more personal membership in an organization
  • Rivals: if you want your legacy to cross the faction divide, you could make them rival groups fighting over a macguffin (e.g., hidden treasure) or a personal conflict (e.g., murderous feud)

If I were going to do this I would probably do it around the rivals approach. For example, the Capulets and Montegues of Romeo and Juliet could be part of a legacy centering around their feud commonly called "Verona" after the territory they fight over or the more personal "Mercutio" after the first victim we see in the events of they play. The Greeks and Trojans could have a feud legacy called "Helen" after the stolen princess. And so on.

Actually, "contested territory" could probably be it's own way of doing it. A common and opposing claim--perhaps opposing individually and not along faction lines--could work. I mean, it's not like your characters are ever going to meet each other. Others will simply interact with various persons who all claim to be the heir or rightful owner of "Sprizen End Run" or whatever, called "Sprizen." Your characters would all be presented as "[name] of the Sprizen legacy."

I'm simply hiding the legacy name if the character isn't part of the family.

I'm probably not going to be treating my legacy in any in-character way. No "of the XX legacy" and no last names. Mostly because I had come up with some last names unique to my characters (whose bios got lost in the wipe so I can't link to them but oh well)

I tend to base my characters and backstory around the game play of the game, so when BW tells me all my chars are linked and get benefits from the legacy, then all my chars on that server are part of my legacy (note: I'm not at all saying this is how it should be for other, I'm purely talking about myself and my gaming preferences).

I also try as much as I can to IC when questing, and let my quests influence my character. Probably because I usually play MMOs like I play single-player RPGs, like I'm living the story of my character through the game.

However, there are some ways you could handle it:

• Literal familial relationship: it's all near-human races after all
  • Philosophical relationship: perhaps they share a common interest/outlook (e.g., the Nietzsche legacy)
  • Organizational legacy: if otherwise unrelated characters can share a guild membership, they could also have a more personal membership in an organization
  • Rivals: if you want your legacy to cross the faction divide, you could make them rival groups fighting over a macguffin (e.g., hidden treasure) or a personal conflict (e.g., murderous feud)

If I were going to do this I would probably do it around the rivals approach. For example, the Capulets and Montegues of Romeo and Juliet could be part of a legacy centering around their feud commonly called "Verona" after the territory they fight over or the more personal "Mercutio" after the first victim we see in the events of they play. The Greeks and Trojans could have a feud legacy called "Helen" after the stolen princess. And so on.

Actually, "contested territory" could probably be it's own way of doing it. A common and opposing claim--perhaps opposing individually and not along faction lines--could work. I mean, it's not like your characters are ever going to meet each other. Others will simply interact with various persons who all claim to be the heir or rightful owner of "Sprizen End Run" or whatever, called "Sprizen." Your characters would all be presented as "[name] of the Sprizen legacy."

I like your ideas, the rival families approach sounds very interesting and unique, I'd love to see how such a story would develop.

Edited by PantheraMorag

I understand the issues some people have with it, however, personally, I usually just try to find a way to make stuff like this work for me, worst case scenario, I'll just turn it off the chars it doesn't fit.

I got my Legacy name a few days ago, and tried to pick something that could work for several different type of characters. Having 2 already, I've actually managed to make it work for both of them, without any relation between them what so ever.