Lag in Combat - Normal or buggy?

Cluisanna

Hey, I'm relatively new to this game, and having the following problem:

Nearly always in combat deaths are delayed by around a second, which is only mildly annoying when it is the mobs that are dying (usually I will hit an ability, the mob doesn't do anything, I hit another one and before that reaches him he does the death animation, so this usually just results in wasted abilities). However, I have also noticed quite often something similar when I die, and that is quite frustrating. Usually it goes like this: I am fighting one of those horribly large mob groups that can't be dodged, despite the fact that I only have two AOE abilities - and that although I am a tank! ... but I digress. Like I said I am fighting a group of mobs, my health gets lower and lower, it's around 15%, the enemy's is too, I think "ok one more hit" and BAM I am dead - not because the enemy's attacks are so strong that they take away 15% of my health, but because apparently I always get the damage of several seconds at the same time, compressed. At least that is what I think.

Am I just imagining this? Is this normal? Usually in games you can lose nearly all of your health and still survive, but in this game as soon as I am below 20% health I may as well just lay down and die because that will happen anyway.

I hope my explanation makes sense and I am looking forward to your replies.

Unfortunately the combat engine isnt all that great for this game. There are several known bugs...just a few off the top of my head:

-failure to fire: even though you press the key the ability wont activate, but a partial animation will play

-damage doesnt always register or possibly the combat text doesnt show them as misses/avoided

-ability activation delay, not as bad as failure to fire but it is still annoying

For classes that have casted or channeled abilities it doesnt seem as bad. But when i play my melee character like my Marauder where it is all instant cast abilities in between waiting for the GCD the problems are more noticeable.

I've noticed some spikey behavior in combat lately too. Never long enough for the latency meter to pick up on it, but very noticeable halts at certain times. Usually when starting an animation. As was said, the engine isn't the best optimized (in fact, it was hacked to bloody hell to use in an MMO) so there's more than a few issues around.