The Shadows Fall

Aurbere

Hey everyone! I am continuing my fan-fic series with the third installment in The Master's story.

If you missed the previous ones, give them a read.

Part 1: The Breaking Point

Part 2: The Darkness Waits

This should prove to be my 'Revenge of the Sith,' which means that people are going to die. Can't say who, but deaths are unavoidable. Let's get underway then, shall we?

The Master's thoughts will be written in Italic

Prologue

The Herald of Death- Bridge

The Master stared out into space. Chiss Star Destroyers had moved to the Herald of Death's flanks in a wedge formation. His students prepared their ships for war.

War... I have been witness to far too many wars. I have stood by and watched the galaxy tear itself apart, taking a passive stance of helping one side over the other when the answer is right in front of me.

The galaxy will be plagued by wars for all time so long as a weak government and corrupt Jedi Order are all that stand to protect it. I will change that. The galaxy needs to change.

I am that change.

The holoprojector on the armrest of The Master's throne sparked to life, projecting the pale blue image of The Brain.

"Master. The connection is established."

Coruscant- Gilad Pellaeon Memorial Hospital- Mental Ward

Luke Skywalker entered the reception area of the Mental Ward of Gilad Pellaeon Memorial Hospital. There were no visitors to be seen, only a lone receptionist stood behind a desk in the pristine white room.

The receptionist was a beautiful young woman, who must have just been hired. She was of slight build, though she was nearly Luke's height. Her black hair was tied back by a ribbon, and her blue eyes looked over to him through rounded glasses.

"Master Skywalker!" She said waving him over. "I heard that you may be on your way."

Luke approached the desk, placing his hands on the warm durasteel. "Yes, I am here to see Nek Bwua'tu."

The receptionist typed something in on the small datapad she was holding, while she stepped out from behind the desk. "Of course. The transmission from the Chief of State's office said that you were here to see him. Before we go, I should warn you that his mind is severely damaged, but remains intact enough for him to ramble about some sort of dagger and Coruscant." The receptionist turned toward the door at the far end of the waiting area, waving for him to follow.

Luke followed her through the door labeled 'Mental Ward.' He had been sent by Chief of State Wynn Dorvan to help the Admiral recover from his experience with The Master. Luke had told him that other Jedi were better Jedi healers than he, but Dorvan insisted.

The receptionist stopped at a silver door labeled 'Bwua'tu' on her left. "He's in there. If you can, please help him. No one else has been able to."

Luke knew it was no coincidence that Bwua'tu would be untreatable. The Master had used his dark powers to remove a powerful obstacle from his path, no medicine could cure the shadow that had fallen over him. Luke only hoped that he could salvage the Admiral's mind.

Luke entered the chamber. There was only a flat bed to speak of, with the Admiral cowering behind it, shaking in fear. The Admiral's graying fur was thinning, his eyes darkened, but wide with perpetual terror. Images were scrawled on the wall, all of them resembling some sort of dagger.

Nek quickly leapt up, waving Luke over with his left hand and pointing at the largest image with his right. "The dagger! Black as the void! It will stab into Coruscant, and destroy everything." The Admiral's ramblings were ineligible to some, but Luke knew what it was.

The Master planned to strike Coruscant and possibly destroy the planet.

Nek Bwua'tu traced the outline of the dagger image with his index finger. "Black as the Void." He whispered. "It heralds the coming darkness."

Luke reached out with his right hand, reaching out to the Admiral's mind with the Force. He touched Nek's surface thoughts. His mind was fragmented, but intact enough to support his insane ramblings. Luke reached in deeper, following the darkness to its source. He found a swirling storm of darkness and, hiding behind it, a menacing shadow.

Luke pulled away, detaching himself from the Admiral's mind. This darkness was unlike anything he had ever seen. It had taken Nek Bwua'tu's mind and dominated it, but it had a possible unintended side-effect. Bwua'tu's ramblings had given Luke a glimpse into The Master's plans.

He will strike Coruscant, and he will strike it hard.

Luke heard footsteps rushing towards him. He could feel the receptionist's distress.

"Master Skywalker, you need to see this!"

The Master righted himself in his chair. The Brain had hacked into the galactic communications network of the Galactic Alliance, allowing The Master to broadcast a transmission to every planet in the Galactic Alliance.

It was time for the next step in The Master's plan. The final move before his war began.

Coruscant- Gilad Pellaeon Memorial Hospital- Mental Ward

The receptionist pointed to the wall-mounted vidscreen on the right wall of the waiting area. The vidscreen displayed The Master's image in full color.

"Citizens of the Galactic Alliance. You know who I am, so I will not bother with introductions. I have a message for you." The Master coughed once before clearing his throat. "Many of you have been witness to wars. Many of you know of people who have lost loved ones because of war."

"I tell you now, that the fault lies in your leaders. They are responsible for your loss. When the Vong invaded, the poor leadership of New Republic leaders led to inaction and uncoordinated military responses, which, in turn, led to unnecessary deaths." The Master coughed again, louder this time. He shifted in his seat before continuing.

"But your leaders are only a single part of the problem. Look to your Guardians of Peace- the proud Order of the Jedi. They are corrupt as well. Their actions and their arrogance have caused even more deaths."

The Master coughed again. "The Jedi have become arrogant, believing themselves to be all-powerful. When an entity of unimaginable power struck the galaxy, the Jedi considered her just another foe to defeat. Their foolishness allowed the entity to create chaos on Coruscant."

"They believed the Second Galactic Civil War to be just another war for them to fight in, just another crisis for them to deal with. Their arrogance and flawed ideals has led them to make impossibly foolish decisions. They allowed the Sith- sworn enemies of peace and freedom- to continue their foul existence."

"The collective foolishness and arrogance of your leaders and the Jedi Order has allowed the Imperial Remnant to grow into a full-fledged Empire."

"Even now the Sith, and the new Empire under the leadership of Jagged Fel plan to overthrow the Galactic Alliance and return the galaxy to the darkness it felt under the reign of Emperor Palpatine."

The Master coughed again, bending over in his seat as his lungs spasmed. He cleared his throat and returned to an upright position. "But this does not have to be your future. You can do something about it. Join me in my fight to unseat your corrupt leaders and cleanse the corruption of the Jedi Order."

"I will put an end to war. I will unite the galaxy under one rule. The new Empire and the Sith will be defeated, and the galaxy will be at peace."

The Master's voice rose, compelling Luke to join him. The Master's voice was eloquent, alluring. Luke knew many would fall prey to his words.

"If you believe as I do, then join me. Bringing peace will not be easy. It will take one final war, but, together, we can unite the galaxy. United, we will defeat the Sith and this new Empire. Together, we will finally save the galaxy!"

The Master's image vanished from the vidscreen, leaving static in his place.

Luke placed a hand on the receptionist's shoulder, pouring some of his energy into her. "Don't listen to him. He's lying. This is a ruse."

She swallowed and nodded. "You'll stop him, won't you?"

Luke didn't answer. He knew it wouldn't be so simple.

The Master fell into a fit of coughing. He cupped his mouth over his hands. He pulled his hands away, and saw blood spots on them. "Why is this happening to me?"

"Because you're dying." A voice from behind him answered.

Edited by Aurbere

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I was kind of expecting a little more of an evil plan than the old "Communications Override Request" for the people to rise up against their government...

Well I guess it's a good thing that that's only the beginning. The stoy has a long way to go. This part of the plan is just to make his replacement of the Alliance a bit easier.

Though, I'm pretty sure future actions will make that more difficult.

Edited by Aurbere

Well I guess it's a good thing that that's only the beginning. The stoy has a long way to go. This part of the plan is just to make his replacement of the Alliance a bit easier.

Though, I'm pretty sure future actions will make that more difficult.

It's more that the story hasn't really focused on any setup for a mass uprising, so it's a jarring transition to swallow as a reader. There's been a lot of ducking around in the shadows without any clear outcomes aside from capturing the prism and using it as a battering ram.

It's more that the story hasn't really focused on any setup for a mass uprising, so it's a jarring transition to swallow as a reader. There's been a lot of ducking around in the shadows without any clear outcomes aside from capturing the prism and using it as a battering ram.

I didn't want it to be expected. I didn't want to build up to it, because it is something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To The Master, the people don't matter. They are tools for his ascension. If his speech didn't stir the masses, then he doesn't care.

What truly matters, is what he does during the war. That's what is being focused on.

I didn't want it to be expected. I didn't want to build up to it, because it is something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To The Master, the people don't matter. They are tools for his ascension. If his speech didn't stir the masses, then he doesn't care.

What truly matters, is what he does during the war. That's what is being focused on.

Hmmm. There's a certain level of foreshadowing that makes revelations about a certain character's plans satisfying, but on the other hand if something doesn't matter to the viewpoint character (the Master, in this case) then you're left sort of detached from the plot. Since the focus was on the speech, it seems like it should matter. Otherwise, wouldn't the focus be on the parts of his plan that the Master cares about?

Hmmm. There's a certain level of foreshadowing that makes revelations about a certain character's plans satisfying, but on the other hand if something doesn't matter to the viewpoint character (the Master, in this case) then you're left sort of detached from the plot. Since the focus was on the speech, it seems like it should matter. Otherwise, wouldn't the focus be on the parts of his plan that the Master cares about?

That's a good point, however, I'm just getting started. You'll just have to see how the plan unravels.

That's a good point, however, I'm just getting started. You'll just have to see how the plan unravels.

That is the difficulty in writing elaborate plots. I don't know if it's like this for you, but I'm constantly fighting the temptation to just set the galaxy ablaze right away and start the mayhem.

That is the difficulty in writing elaborate plots. I don't know if it's like this for you, but I'm constantly fighting the temptation to just set the galaxy ablaze right away and start the mayhem.

I really do want to get into the action right now, but it's not going to happen yet. Rest assured that the galaxy will be (almost literally) on fire later on.

Been busy of late so I haven't been able to give this a read... I couldn't help but think of Grievous when reading that chpt. :D looking forward to more!

Dangnabit, you have to make the time! No just kidding, read at your own pace.

But, yeah, I guess he did give off a Grievous vibe. That was completely unintentional, but also cool that you pointed that out.

Chapter 1

Dying!?

The Master spun his chair around to face the intruder, but saw nothing. There was nothing, but shadow.

"I'm surprised you haven't died yet. Your corruption is great, but you cling to life." The voice spoke again. A bright light began to shine in the center of the room. Manifesting itself in the center of the dark room was a spirit, a ghost returning from the netherworld of the Force. The spirit's body manifested, revealing its identity- The Master's daughter. "Perhaps your body is stronger than I thought?"

The Master was shocked. "You're here? How?" He ignored what she said about him dying, this revelation was too great to go unnoticed.

The Harbinger strode forward two steps. The shadows around her undulating. "I had a revelation upon my death." Luminous was she. A light in the shadow... his shadow.

The Master slowly stood up from his chair, his body severely degraded by the dark side. "A revelation? I know you were at peace upon your death. What did you see?" The Master supported himself with a tall black cane.

The Harbinger paced, slowly circling him. "I saw what you would do if you were successful, and I saw you fail."

Fail? Impossible.

"Failure is not possible. My victory was shown to me by the Force!" The Master was defiant. He did not believe what his daughter was saying.

She continued pacing, stroking her spiritual hand across his shoulders as she passed behind him. "You saw what you wanted to see. The future is always in motion. You saw one path, and convinced yourself that that was the truth." She stopped in front of him. "But it doesn't have to be that way."

Perhaps she is here to guide me. A voice from beyond to ensure my victory. Perhaps not, we shall see.

"What do you mean, child?"

"You can end this now! You have lived for a whole millenia. Your time is over. The galaxy no longer needs you." She backed away, back to the center of the room, the shadows bending around her.

Why does she say this now? What has happened to her?

"You know I won't do that, Milana" He defiantly replied, speaking her real name for the first time in years.

She nodded to herself, bowing her head low. "At least you remember my name." She raised her head back up. "I take comfort in the fact that you consider me more than a tool."

The Master returned to his chair, his body unable to remain standing for long. "Of course I remember your name. You're my daughter, the flesh of my flesh." The Master was upset with her attitude. She had changed, and he did not approve.

Could her 'redemption' have so drastically changed her?

"Then join me. Give in to the Force." She pleaded. "The galaxy is safe in the hands of the Jedi Order."

The Master coughed. "It's not that simple." He said before coughing again. "I can protect the galaxy. I have the tools to unite the galaxy under one rule."

"And you will cast a never-ending darkness upon it." Her spirit began to fade, the darkness began to close in around her. "You will probably die before that happens. I hope you see the wisdom in my words." And with those parting words, her spirit vanished, once again leaving The Master in the shadow.

I will not be dying anytime soon. I'll make sure of that.

Coruscant- Jedi Temple- High Council Chambers

Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker surveyed the Council Chambers. Too many empty seats, and too few Masters sat with him in the round chamber. Master Cilghal's seat sat empty while she worked to heal the mind of Admiral Nek Bwua'tu. Jedi Masters Saba Sebatyne, Octa Ramis, and Barrakt'l were preparing Alliance forces for war. Kam Solusar was dead, and Tionne, overcome with grief, stayed in her quarters. And Kyle Katarn and Jaina Solo were still on a mission, tracking down The Master's agent.

The only Jedi Masters to meet him were Kyp Durron and Corran Horn.

"Gentlemen, I take you have read the reports?" Luke queried.

Corran Horn stroked his greying beard with his right hand. "Yes. The Chiss movements in Deep Space, especially."

"That, and the military reports sent to us by Supreme Commander Wedge Antilles." Kyp added.

Luke was still surprised that Wedge would even take the position of Supreme Commander of the Alliance Defense Force after Nek Bwua'tu's mind was crippled. It would seem this new crisis was rallying even the oldest veterans. "War is coming, and it threatens to take the galaxy into darkness once again."

Silence overtook the the chamber as they each pondered what this war would cost them. They were facing an enemy with many tools at his disposal, and the strength in the Force to match. Deceptive was he, his mind focused on the greater goal. To defeat him, they would have to think like him.

"However, our enemy is overconfident. His attack on Admiral Bwua'tu has given us a glimpse of his plans. The Master moves to strike Coruscant."

Kyp Durron pushed his greying hair back off his forehead. "Perhaps we can set a trap for him. Keep our strongest fleets in the Core Worlds and ambush him when he attacks."

Luke pondered the idea. He knew that the Jedi would have to once again lead armies into battle, but what would be the cost. "We will discuss this matter later. For now, we must prepare ourselves to face the coming war."

This enemy they were facing was deceptive. Capturing him only led to more destruction. Luke knew the only way to stop The Master was to defeat him in battle. He knew that he would be forced to cut The Master down.

The Master's Will- Command Chamber

The Brain stood in front of a large holo projector, studying the many images that were displayed before him. Holographic images of credit transfers, purchases, The Master's secret projects, and all other records The Master had him keep track of. The Brain's cybernetic implants on his scalp glowed bright orange as they processed the data.

He then came across a list detailing the allies The Master had accumulated over the many years. Mandalorians, the Hutt Cartel, the Chiss, Collicoids, Kuat, and members of Operation Eleven.

The Soldier's holoimage appeared next to the list. Even when miniaturized, The Soldier held an imposing form. Incredibly muscular and very tall. Certainly he was stronger than The Brain, but he had no concern for physical strength. He preferred advancing his mental skills over his physical ones.

"How goes the search?" The Soldier asked, his voice synthesized by the holo projector.

"Good, I am studying all of The Master's dealings as we speak." The Brain continued to examine the records in front of him.

"Remember, we need to know what The Master's plans are. When we finally unravel that secret, there will be no need to wait for The Master to 'lead' us to victory." The Soldier grew impatient every day. Even with the Chiss rallying to the cause, The Master still waits.

The Brain continued studying the records until he came across something that he had missed. "Hang on." His brain and cybernetics processed the data. "The Master made a very large purchase of high grade explosives. These records indicate that he spent over one million credits to purchase a large quantity of Baradium."

"It could just be for our armies."

"Unlikely." The Brain replied. "Too much Baradium for an army already fully equipped. The Baradium is most likely being used for Baradium fission devices."

The Soldier cursed under his breath. "Those things can destroy planets! I didn't expect The Master to invest in such weapons. How many devices are we looking at?"

"Exactly five thousand."

The Soldier cursed again. "And where is he keeping these things."

"Unknown. I will continue searching."

"See that you do." The Soldier's voice changed, darkened. His image vanished from view.

Defender-class shuttle

Jadec pulled the Defender out of hyperspace at the designated coordinates. In the distance, he could see something that completely surpirsed and amazed him. :I think you should come look at this!" He yelled to the Jedi.

Jaina Solo quickly ran into the cockpit and looked out of the viewport. "By the Force."

Edited by Aurbere

Darth Malak comes to mind...

That would be too obvious. No. I will pursue another path. You will have to wait and see. I have several alternate paths for this story to take, but we shall see which one ends up being put forth.

Chapter 2

Defender-class Shuttle

Gazing out of the cockpit of The Master's personal shuttle, Jaina Solo set her eyes upon something terribly magnificent.

A massive ringed structure adorned with heavy defensive turbolasers shined its powerful light beams upon a mighty vessel. Like a dagger floating in space, the mighty vessel sat docked with the massive shipyard. It was black as the void of space. The areas of the hull untouched by the shipyard's light beams were nearly invisible, the interior lights were like stars when viewed from a distance.

Spread across the dagger-like ship were countless weapons systems ranging from turbolasers to heavy missle launchers.

"Stars..." Jadec said to himself. "I've never seen anything like it." He leaned back in the pilot's chair, bewildered expression on his face.

Jaina couldn't take her eyes off of it. "How could he build something so massive? It's larger than any vessel on record!"

"This was a bad idea." Jadec said to himself, as if he had completely forgotten that Jaina was there.

Jaina Solo was not going to give up after coming so far. "No. We're going in. If I can defeat The Master here, we can end the war before it begins. Stop him from unleashing this vessel on the galaxy." Jaina was determined now more than ever. "Take us in."

For the sake of the galaxy, she was going to stop The Master... once and for all.

The Master watched his personal shuttle drift towards one of his flagships many hangars. He knew what Jaina Solo was here for. He knew that she was going to kill him.

The Master's Voice leaned down to him. "Your personal vessel is preparing to land, my lord." His voice rumbled as he spoke. His body continued to be corrupted by The Master's darkness. His face, the half that was visible under his sloped helm, showed purple lines stretch across it. His lips were cut in several places, dried blood caked onto the wounds.

"I am aware." The Master said, waving his servant away. "Greet our guests. Bring them to me."

The Voice bowed as he backed away, headed for the bridge door.

The Master returned his gaze to the stars.

"Many worlds to conquer. Many plans to fulfill. I anticipate a long war with the Jedi, but it will be a futile resistance. I am the Master of War. The Master of all things. It is foolish of them to think they could defeat me at my own game. They do not understand that this war is only game. The galaxy is a dejarik board, waiting for the first piece to be moved. The Jedi foolishly think they are playing the game against me, that there are two players in this game of dejarik.

Fools. I am the only player.

The Crusader- Meditation Chamber

The Lore-master sat cross-legged in the center of the round chamber. Several holocrons of varying design lined the walls of the chamber. In front of her sat a large pile of old manuscripts and holobooks. To her right she set down her holocommunicator, which projected The Soldier's image.

She flipped through the old pages of the book on her lap. "It is possible my brother never finished writing The Master's musings."

"The Historian was always thorough in his work, and never left things unfinished. The answer is in there." The Soldier sounded almost deperate.

"Is The Master's power so important to you? What do you seek to learn from these texts?" The Lore-master asked as she set the book aside. "Do you think The Master would tell my brother his weaknesses?"

"I do indeed. When we find the secrets to his immortality, we can find a way to stop it."

She brushed her black hair back behind her ears. "We all posses the same technique for immortality, Soldier. Can we not find the weakness to our own immortality?" She already knew the answer. "Of course not. He only taught us how to use it." She answered herself as she picked up another book. She studied the worn pages, laughing on the inside. The Historian loved the feeling of paper. He almost despised the technological advancements made in documentation.

"Keep searching, lore master. Alert me when you find the secret, and how to counter it." He said to her. His image faded from the small disc.

The Lore-master flipped open the book. "I certainly hope he doesn't start to think himself superior to the other Watchers." She said to herself.

The Herald of Death- Hangar 19

Jaina Solo stepped off of the boarding ramp of The Master's shuttle, lightsaber in hand as she approached the same figure that taunted her on Cinnagar.

The twisted being bowed his head slightly. "Welcome, young Jedi. My master bids you welcome to his new flagship, and asks that you may meet him in person."

Jaina suspected a trap, but sensed no deception from the disgusting creature. She eyed the six security droids that had spread out behind the figure. Each of them held their blaster rifles at the ready in case she resisted. She clipped her lightsaber to her belt. "Fine. Take me to him."

The figure smiled a twisted smile as his head twitched left. "Follow me."

Jaina Solo and The Master's Voice entered the bridge. The expansive room was large. Hanging in the air was a dark shadow that crackled with red lightning every few seconds. The shadows gathered around her as she entered the room, prepared to overtake her at any moment. At her feet was a purple haze that crackled with blue lightning at the same rate as the red lightning above. The haze shrouded her feet, making them almost completely invisible to the eye.

She saw The Master waiting in a large chair. He looked horrible. His body decaying from his dark side corruption. Never had she seen the dark side destroy a man's body so visibly.

The Master got up from his chair slowly, leaning on a black, gnarled cane for support. "So you have come at last. The murderer of my daughter stands before me." The Master's Voice exited the bridge.

Jaina activated her blue lightsaber. "Yes, I am here. I'm here to end your war before it begins." She moved forward slowly, prepared to defend herself against any attack.

The Master stood still, letting Jaina close the distance between them. "Are you now?" The Master tried to laugh, but coughed violently. "Do it!"

Jaina hesitated. It was too easy.

The Master moved closer, so close that his chest was nearly touching the tip of her blade. The scent of burnt cloth filled the air. "Do it. Know that I will destroy you if you don't."

She couldn't afford to delay. She was prepared to do what was necessary. With a simple wrist movement, she plunged her blade into The Master's chest.

The Master exhaled loudly, blood trickling from the corner of his mouth. Jaina removed her lightsaber, letting The Master fall to the ground.

The Master, the most powerful foe the galaxy had faced in decades, was dead.

The Herald of Death specs are as follows:

Length: 45,000 meters

Width (Stern): 10,000 meters

Width (Bow): 2,000

Height: 10,000 meters

Engine Units: 15 engines

Hyperdrive: Class 2 (Primary)

Class 6 (Back-up)

Shielding: 10 KDY ISD-72x deflector shield generator domes (Plus several internal shield generators for back up)

Hull: Durasteel-reinforced Alusteel

Armament: 5,000 Turbolaser batteries

5,000 Ion cannon batteries

5,000 Heavy Turbolaser batteries

2,500 Long-range Turbolaser batteries

2,500 Heavy Ion Cannon batteries

1,000 Point-defense cannons

1,000 Concussion Missle Launcher Systems

100 Tractor Beam emitters

Complement: 500,000 Droid Starfighters

300,000 Droid Starbombers

100,000 Landing and Supply Shuttles

100,000 Heavy Assault Tanks

1 million battle droids

Crew: 100 maintenance droids

Onboard Factory: Capable of manufacturing anything ranging from cosmetic items to small assault frigates.

Also, I think, when I start on the Prequels, I'll make The Historian like myself.

Edited by Aurbere

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the (very) long delay. I got sick, and then I had some other issues to take care. However, I'm back with Chapter Three.

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 3

The might vessel moaned as if it felt its master's death. The shadows above Jaina Solo grew darker, the bursts of red lightning intensified. She felt the darkness close in around her, threatening to overtake her once again. Jaina centered herself in the Force, causing the darkness to falter ever so slightly.

The vessel moaned once again as the shadows retreated. Jaina heard a loud hiss as the paneling of the floor in front of The Master's throne began to open. The squeal of hydraulics echoed in the empty chamber as a large glass tank rose from the opened floor.

Within the tank was a being clad in silver armor. His robes were dark, protected by pieces of armor in several places. Plated gloves with talon-like fingers on his hands. The shin-guards of his steel boots had a single row of small spikes leading from the top to the ankles. His torso was protected by a thick piece of armor stretching from his collar to his waist. His head was wrapped in a lofty helm, a dark hood covering its sloped crown. His elongated mask was expressionless, with only two holes for eyes to see through.

The being radiated with an aura of darkness, its power washed over Jaina, attempting to drown her in darkness. He raised a hand to the glass. He pressed his gloved hand against the glass, shattering it with his touch. Glass flew across the room.

The being stepped out of the tank, his footsteps made Jaina feel like the ground was shaking. He turned his head to The Master's corpse.

"Ah." Cold and metallic was his voice. The hollow voice sent shivers down Jaina's spine. "So the experiment was a success."

The Master's Will- Command Chamber

The Brain panned through the various holoimages that hovered above the rotund holoprojector. The images were displaying the various financial dealings of The Master. The Brain hoped to find the location of the large stores of Baradium that The Master had procured.

The Soldier's miniature holoimage appeared next to the financial records. "Anything?"

The Brain pressed a small red button on the projector, causing the images to disappear. "Yes, actually." He paused for a moment as his cybernetics sorted through the information. "It would seem that The Master made these devices vanish."

The Soldier crossed his arms. "I thought you said you found something. We have no time for this!" The Soldier said, disgruntled.

The Brain pressed another button, causing The Soldier's image to enlarge to his normal size. "Sometimes the lack of evidence is itself evidence." He saw The Soldier roll his eyes. "Allow me to elaborate. Judging from the information that I have gathered, The Master procured the assistance of smugglers to smuggle the devices onto convoys traveling major trade routes. From there the devices vanish."

The Soldier stroked his large chin with one of his bulky hands. "Interesting. So you think these devices have made their way into the Core Worlds?"

"I cannot say."

"Find out. Use the intelligence network. Surely The Master moved those devices with members of the network."

"I wish I could find out, but there are facets of the network that The Master hid from me. He most likely did this in case of my defection. Very wise of him."

"But bad for us." The Soldier pointed at him. "Find these devices and-" They then felt a tremor in the Force. The darkness shifted. "Just find those devices." His image faded.

The Brain pondered the shift in the Force. It was sudden, but the feeling quickly faded. He believed the tremor was caused by The Master.

"By the Force." Jaina Solo said under her breath as she slowly backed away from the dominating figure. She raised her lightsaber in defense, the blade's light dimming under the pressure of the darkness.

The being examined his body, raising his gloved hands up. He paused for a moment, then dropped his hands to his side. "I must confess that I prefer the more modest clothing of the Jedi." His voice, hollow and icy, sent a chill up Jaina's spine. "But the creation of fear in others is a useful tool to exploit."

"Your-" A lump formed in Jaina's throat. She suppressed the fear that encroached on her. "How did you do this?" She could sense The Master's presence in that armor. The fear that his presence created would overwhelm any normal person, and she could feel the fear push against her mind, pushing her to submit to The Master.

"It is not a rare technique. I simply encased my spirit in this shell." He then laughed. It was a hollow laugh that made Jaina cringe internally. "You... killing me freed my spirit." He laughed again. "Thanks to you I can now unleash my full power. I am now free of the limitations of a mortal body. I have limitless power! Now you will experience the full power of the Force, commanded by it's true Master!"

The Master raised a hand and unleashed a blast of pure dark side energy. Jaina barely had enough time to produce a Force Barrier to protect herself. The attack sent her flying into the bridge doors.

The Master reached out a hand towards his former body, calling his lightsaber to him. "Come forth, Jedi. Now you shall feel my wrath." He said as he activated his lightsaber, the blade as red as the lightning that periodically lit the shadows above their heads.

The Master slowly sauntered toward Jaina as she slowly rose to a standing position. He dragged his blade across the floor, creating a long scar in the floor.

Jaina brought her blade up, prepared to face the darkness.

The duel is coming up in Chapter Four.

Edited by Aurbere

Nice to see you writing again!

It's definitely good to be writing again.

Chapter 4

The shadows followed him as he approached. His red lightsaber leaving a long scar on the floor as he sauntered ever closer. The eye holes in his mask began to glow a deep red, showing murderous intent. The shadows wrapped around him, and he had an aura of unnatural shadow.

Jaina raised her lightsaber up as the darkness closed in around her. The Master flicked his wrist, bringing his lightsaber up for a downward stroke. Jaina was prepared for it. She raised her lightsaber up in defense, catching The Master's strike. She thought she was prepared for the attack, but even attacking with one arm, The Master was able to knock her off balance.

She quickly recovered, guiding The Master's blade down and making a quick riposte to his armored torso. The Master clumsily stepped back to avoid the strike, batting Jaina's lightsaber down with his own. It was then that she saw The Master's weakness. He had yet to acclimatize to his new form. He was slow and clumsy.

She leapt into a series of quick flurries, attacking The Master with a series of well aimed strikes. The Master could barely block them all. She brought her blade in a horizontal strike from her left, striking the unarmored portion of The Master's arm.

The Master slowly backed away, realizing what had just occurred in their short series of blows. He reached his remaining hand to feel the singed cloth. The smell of burnt clothing tainted the air. The Master reached out with the Force to collect his severed arm, lightsaber still in hand. He lifted the severed portion up. Then strands of cloth reached out from both sides, intertwining together and reconnecting.

The Master laughed the same hollow laugh that made her shiver as he flexed his arm. "Interesting technology that the Rakata created." He returned his gaze to her. "Did you really think it would be that easy?" He laughed again, reactivating his lightsaber. "You cannot hope to defeat me."

Jaina then realized that she could not defeat The Master alone. She backed away, towards the bridge doors. They closed as she approached.

"There is no escape, Jedi." The Master declared. He slowly approached her, backing her against the bridge doors. "Fight or surrender. The end remains the same."

He brought his lightsaber down in a downward stroke, the red blade slamming down on her own blade. He pulled his lightsaber back and quickly struck from the right in a diagonal strike. Jaina blocked the attack, guiding it away and into the bridge doors.

Jaina made a horizontal strike aimed at The Master's head. The Master quickly pulled his lightsaber out of the door in time to barely block the blow. The Master retaliated with the Force, slamming Jaina into the bridge doors. He then brought his lightsaber down. The Master's lightsaber slammed into Jaina's, forcing her down.

She summoned the Force to her aid, pushing The Master's lightsaber back, giving her room to spin away, catching The Master's right leg mid-spin.

The Master retaliated in kind, batting Jaina's lightsaber away and making a glancing cut on her leg. Her yelp of pain was quickly cut off when The Master wrapped his free hand around her throat, lifting her up from the ground.

"What did you think you were going to do?" The Master queried, digging his talons into her neck. "Kill me? Like you killed my daughter?" He raised her higher. "What more can you take away from me?"

As darkness closed in on her, she reached out with the Force. Calling the shattered glass from the containment vessel that had housed The Master's new form and sent it hurtling into him. The glass shards embeded themselves into The Master's side, many of them deflected by The Master's armor.

The Master shrugged the attack off, and tightened his grip on her neck. "You alone are at fault. Your actions have invoked my wrath. And now your Jedi Order will fall. I will stain the galaxy with the blood of the Skywalker family!"

Jaina began to gasp for air, fighting the encroaching darkness. But she couldn't, she let the darkness take her.

The Unstoppable- Bridge

The Soldier paced in front of his comrades, his cape flowing behind him. "My friends, we are in a difficult position."

The rest of The Watchers murmured in agreement. The Brain stepped forward. "Yes, we are. Watching The Master's battle with the Jedi, and sensing his dramatic increase in power, has revealed much."

The Guardian nodded. "Like how we are no match for him?"

The Soldier's head snapped to her. "Alone, yes. Together, we are unstoppable. We have a plan in motion to bring him down. We just have to adjust."

The Beastmaster shook her head in frustration. "You can't feel it? There's a hidden power within him. It's greater than anything I have ever felt. It's terrifying. Your plan is doomed to fail."

The Soldier quickly approached her. "You think we will fail?" The Soldier questioned her, his eyes burning into her.

She did not break away from his gaze. "Yes. The dark side is his possession, and he belongs to the dark side. What you just saw was nothing."

The Soldier backed away. "I understand. But we will not stop. The plan moves forward." The Soldier turned to The Lore-master. "Find away to stop him. I trust you will be able to find something." He walked down the line of Watchers, stopping at The Brain. "Keep searching for that Baradium, and try to access The Master's and The Harbinger's portions of the intelligence network."

The Soldier dismissed them with a nod, returning his gaze to the stars. He watched the Chiss starfighters swarm around The Master's new flagship. It was an impressive vessel. The Soldier longed to see what the ship could do after taking several decades to build.

But soon that ship would be his to command.

Edited by Aurbere

The Master just took BAMF to another level! :D

In the immortal words of Count Dooku: "This is just the beginning!" :cool:

Chapter 5

The Herald of Death- Medical Center

The darkness began to fade as Jaina regained conciousness in a white room. She was strapped to a leaning table. She tried to move, but found her body unresponsive, as if she was frozen.

The Master stood in front of her, leaning over a small table that held an assortment of medical tools. He looked up to her. "Ah, so you finally join us in the land of the living." He moved towards her, pushing the table away.

The Master studied her, noting her inability to move. "The unresponsiveness of your body is my doing. I injected you with a powerful toxin that targets your voluntary funtions, but decreases your resistance to pain." He raised a clawed hand up to her face. "Which means-" He said as he dragged one of his sharp talons down her cheek. "You can't move, but your pain is greatly intensified."

He moved his hand up to the metal band that kept her head pinned to the table. "This-" He said, twice tapping the band. The sharp sound ringing in Jaina's ears. "Is a Neural Disruptor. It disrupts your mental ability to use the Force."

The Master took a step back. He wanted her to respond. There was no enjoyment in torturing a mute victim. He waved his hand, using the Force to relieve her of the poison. "Tell me, why do you think I spared you?"

She struggled against her binds at first, but found them to be too difficult to break. She groaned softly as she ceased her efforts. "Because your a monster who delights in hurting people."

The Master chuckled at her bravado. "No. I could have so easily killed you during our battle, but I did not. I let you live." He backed up to the table with the medical tools. "Getting revenge in such a way seemed so... unsatisfactory."

The holocommunicator next to the steel entrance door flared to life, projecting a holoimage of Thrawn. "My lord, Kyle Katarn has been sent back to the Alliance, and their pilot friend is ready to be interrogated."

"Excellent." Kyle Katarn would be a messenger to Luke Skywalker.

Thrawn's image disappeared, and The Master returned to the medical tools. "As I was saying, my revenge will be much sweeter than a simple killing." He glided his hand over the tools until he set it on a sharp scalpel. "I will turn you to my side." He said as he picked the silver tool up.

"It will never work!" Jaina said defiantly.

"Really? My vengeance will be you killing your friends and allies. I will have you cast aside your beliefs and join me in my crusade." He walked towards her.

"You'll have to kill me." She solemnly said.

"Let's test that, shall we?" He said, touching the sharp blade to her skin. "When I am finished, you will willingly serve me." He said as he began to cut.

The Valiant- Bridge

Saba Sebatyne sat motionless in the center of the bridge, blocking out the bustling of the crew and the bleeping of computers. She focused her senses outward, piercing the thick veil that had protected the coordinates that Jaina Solo had sent them. She felt a considerable power, a dark energy that swirled like a raging storm. It was a terrible feeling, one that made her feel ill.

Kyp Durron's pacing irritated her. She blocked it out, tightening her focus on the darkness that the Galactic Alliance fleet sped towards. Despite her powerful senses, she could not perceive the total vastness of this dark power.

"Jaina must have been captured by the enemy. We need to end this now!" Kyp said, stirring Saba from her meditations.

Saba slowly got up from her position. "Several fleetz are on the way. Together, we will stop this 'Master.'"

"Master Jedi!" One of the helmsman called out. "We're coming out of hyperspace. Picking up something huge on the scanners."

The blue blur of hyperspacepeeled back, replaced by the black void of space. Across the distance, the bridge crew gazed upon a black spear of massive size.

"Stars..." A crew member whispered.

"Look at the size of that thing!"

Saba studied the black vessel. "'Black as the Void...'" Saba recited Nek Bwua'tu's words thoughtfully.

Kyp Durron averted his gaze. "Do you think that is what Nek was talking about?" He returned to the black ship. "Seems like it."

The Alliance fleet drifted closer to the mighty vessel, prepared to engage it.

The Master set the bloodied scalpel down on the table. Jaina Solo's arms were badly wounded with several long, deep cuts. Blood was draining down her arms, dripping off her hands.

Thrawn's image reappeared next to the entrance. "My lord, a Galactic Alliance fleet comprised of one dozen heavy assault ships has arrived."

The Master had sensed their arrival in the Force. "Hold fire until I give the order."

Jaina tried to laugh. "I sent the location of this place to the Alliance." She said softly, wincing in pain.

The Master wasn't concerned with the arrival of a Galactic Alliance fleet. He turned his attention back to Jaina. "You won't mind if I conduct an experiment, will you?" He paused, gathering his energy. "This will require your aid. I will be drawing on your mental strength for this experiment."

He concentrated his power, drawing on Jaina Solo's strength of will and mental strength, fueling his ritual.

The Valiant- Bridge

Kyp Durron felt it coming toward him. A dark shadow racing from the black vessel that floated before them. Suddenly, an image of The Master appeared before them.

"Another successful experiment." The Master studied his hands. "And in human form. Very impressive."

Kyp recoiled, stunned by The Master's appearance. "A Force Phantom!"

"What iz your purpose here, phantom?" Saba demanded, not phased by The Master's appearance.

The Master's luminescent form was surrounded by bright red sparks of Force energy. "Intimidation, perhaps?" The Master approached Saba Sebatyne. "Do Barabels feel fear? You will."

Kyp Durron put a hand on his lightsaber. The Master quickly acted, lashing out with a powerful Force Push.

"I wouldn't attack me if I were you. I am drawing on Jaina Solo's energy to create this phantom. Attack me, and she pays for it. Given her physical and mental state, I doubt she could handle it." The Master laughed.

"You're a monster. Free her now, and surrender!" Kyp yelled.

The Master laughed again. "No. If you want the young Solo, come and get her." The Master laughed again as his phantom vanished.

Edited by Aurbere

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay. I advise reading the previous chapter so you can catch up (just in case).

Chapter 6

The Master sat in his throne, his back to the bridge doors. He stared out of the viewport, watching the Alliance fleet carefully. They made no move to attack, no move to surround his flagship.

The shuttle carrying the two Jedi Masters had already landed in his ship, and he could feel them closing in on him. He was ready for them. They could not hope to defeat him in the center of his power. He was unstoppable, immortal. They fought only because they had to.

The Master keyed three yellow buttons on his left arm rest. The arm rest projected a small holo image of Thrawn.

"What is your command, my lord?" The Chiss admiral asked, his voice synthesized over the transmission.

The Master tapped the end of his right arm rest with his long talons. "Keep an eye on these Alliance ships. I will be unavailable for a time."

"Yes, my lord. And what of Solo?"

He ceased the tapping. "Jaina Solo has continued to resist. I have hidden her and ordered medical droids to tend to her wounds. After I deal with the two Jedi, I will resort to mental assaults." The Master disliked the use of Torture by Chagrin, but felt that it would be the key to finally pushing Jaina Solo over the edge, and into the arms of the dark side.

"Of course, my lord."

The Master felt the presence of the two Jedi enter the bridge. He deactivated the communicator. "So you finally arrive." He spun around to face them. "Welcome to my domain... Kyp Durron."

Bastion- Imperial Citadel- Communications Center

Emperor Jagged Fel straightened his tan uniform. He stood next to the large holoprojection unit at the center of the Communications Center of the Imperial Citadel. The Fel Empire stood on the brink of another war, and the incoming communication from Chief of State Wynn Dorvan only made him nervous. He wanted to keep his new Empire out of this war, but that seemed like a fleeting dream.

He had lived in war his entire life. The feeling was familiar to him, but his duties as Emperor required him to look out for his subjects. Another war would only hurt his Empire. This 'Master' was bent on causing chaos. He had openly called out the Fel Empire, making an official declaraction of war against the galaxy itself. War was inevitable.

Wynn Dorvan's image appeared before him, the blue-ish image projected from the robust holoprojector. "I am receiving your transmission, Emperor Fel."

Jagged Fel waved his hand, a silent command for the various communications officers to leave the room. "Wynn, I'm going to skip the formalities here." He leaned over the holoprojector. "This isn't looking good, Wynn." He said under his breath.

"When is it ever?" Wynn replied. "I have just received word from Commander Antilles: They have found The Master." He said, a hint of hopefulness in his voice.

Jag's head snapped up. "Where? How?" His heart was lifted. Perhaps the war could end before it began.

A slim arm reached into the image, handing the Chief of State a datapad. "It was the Jedi that found him. I'm transmitting these coordinates to you now."

Emperor Fel breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Wynn. Let's end this war." He tabbed a key on the projector, cutting the transmission. He then keyed in the frequency for the captain onboard his flagship.

The projector emitted an image of an elderly gentleman. "Yes, lord Emperor?"

"Prepare my personal fleet... and the Imperial Knights."

The Master slowly got up from the large chair. He studied the two Jedi. He was familiar with Kyp Durron, the humiliation suffered at the hands of this Jedi made The Master furious. He was, however, unfamiliar with the Barabel Jedi Saba Sebatyne.

The Master studied the Barabel. She was large and muscular, dressed in the standard robes of the Jedi Order. Her scales were very dark colored.

The two Jedi activated their lightsabers, taking up fighting stances.

The Master disregarded Kyp Durron. "Master Sebatyne. I see the tales of the formidable appearance of the Barabels was not exaggerated." The Master turned his gaze to Kyp Durron. "I will enjoy our little rematch, Durron."

Kyp brandished his lightsaber, pointing it at The Master. "I defeated you once, and I will do it again."

The Master was not surprised that Kyp Durron was so overconfident. "You fool!" The darkness that hung above them intensified. "Do you not understand? This is the center of my power!" The Master reached a hand up. The red lightning that sporadically pulsed in the darkness jumped to his hand. He held the lightning in his hand, the energy forming into a deep red sphere.

"Can't you see? This is my domain!" His metal talons carressed the sphere of crackling, red energy. "I need only close my hand..." He said as he crushed the sphere of energy, causing it to shower sparks around him. "To crush the life out of you!"

"Show uz then!" Saba demanded, believing that he was bluffing.

The Master's head snapped to the Barabel. "Silence!" He yelled, his voice echoing. He casually waved his hand at her, sending her flying into one of the unmanned computer consoles, destroying the computer and incapacitating her.

He returned his attention to Kyp Durron. "Perhaps now we can have our rematch uninterrupted by rabble." The Master called his lightsaber from his throne. It activated with a snap-hiss. "I will grant you a warrior's death, Jedi."

Edited by Aurbere

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 7

They stood apart from each other, lightsabers raised to strike. The green light of Master Durron's blade mixed in with the blood stained red of The Master's blade. The Master stepped forward, the tip of his blade meeting Durron's blade.

Kyp Durron snapped into action. He made a quick spin, bringing his green blade in from the right. The Master raised his right arm, holding his lightsaber back-handed to block the attack. He let his block falter, letting Durron's blade scrape across his chest armor, the blade leaving a long scar.

The Master took a step back. Kyp Durron pushed a relentless attack, incorporating graceful spins and leaps, attacking The Master's sides. The Master blocked each strike with precision. As Kyp made another flanking jump to The Master's left flank, The Master spun away. He batted down Durron's blade and grabbed the back of Kyp's neck with his left hand. The Master's sharp talons dug into Kyp Durron's soft flesh, drawing blood.

Kyp grunted in pain. He tried to swing his lightsaber back to retaliate, but the attack was easily deflected by The Master. The Master brought Durron in close to him.

"You are so weak, Jedi." The Master's voice was cold. It made the hairs on Durron's neck and arms stand up. "I could so easily kill you now. But you haven't given me your best. Show me the power of the Jedi!" The Master threw Durron forward.

The Master charged the weakened Jedi as he got up to his knees. The Master raised his knee up, the metal kneepad smashing into Durron's face. Bones crunched and blood spewed from Kyp Durron's face as the force of the blow sent Durron careening back.

"The real battle begins now, Jedi!" The Master said as he charged again, this time reaching a hand out, assaulting Durron with a powerful Force Push, sending him into the bridge doors.

Kyp fell on his feet. He refocused just in time to duck away from The Master's attack. The Master's blade stabbed into the bridge door. Kyp popped up and raised his lightsaber up. He brought his blade down in a two-handed strike. The Master reached his left hand out, grabbing Durron's hands as the Jedi's blade dug into The Master's helm.

The Master pulled Kyp's hands down, bringing the Jedi in close. The Master head butted Kyp, the hard metal of his helm further injuring his head. As Kyp Durron backpedaled, The Master reached out his left hand. He grabbed the Jedi’s head and slammed it into the bridge doors.

Kyp dropped his lightsaber and fell to his knees. The Master pulled his lightsaber out of the bridge doors, the blade leaving a long scar on the doors.

The Master stood on Kyp's left side. He ceremoniously held his blade up, prepared to make the coup de grace.

Fell Defender- Bridge

Emperor Jagged Fel's personal fleet emerged from hyperspace at the coordinates Wynn Dorvan gave him. The Emperor did not see what he was expecting. A massive battleship, flanked by two Executor-class Super Star Destroyers and several Chiss Warships, awaited them, lurking within a massive ringed shipyard. The battleship was black as the void of space itself lit only by the vessel's interior lighting and the large strobe lights of the shipyards.

Jagged Fel saw three Galactic Alliance Defense Fleets wait just within their minimum firing range. He did not know why they waited, but he assumed that they were not ready to engage The Master's fleet.

Jagged Fel noted the reflection of Kaedan Slyn, the leader of the Imperial Knights. He was a tall man, heavily armored from head-to-toe in crimson armor woven with phrik materials, the Imperial insignia on his left shoulder pad. His head was hidden under a black hood.

"Lord Emperor?" Kaedan's voice was rough, uncaring.

The Emperor didn't turn to face him. "Take your Knights, board the lead enemy vessel, find my wife, and kill The Master."

Kaedan bowed his head. "Yes, lord Emperor."

Kyp Durron slowly sat up. He felt like he had been hit by speeder. His head pounded. He felt the left side of his head. His head was wet with blood. He should have been dead. The Master was about to kill him. Did Saba save him? She must have.

He looked up, his vision was blurred. He saw Saba fighting The Master. She moved with grace and speed, despite her large form. The Barabel's attacks were fluid and quick, seeming to strike The Master from several angles. She seemed to dance circles around him. An observer would think that she was winning, but the trained eyes of a Jedi would see that her attacks were being easily deflected. She was wasting energy, but The Master's energy was limitless, the darkness that permeated the vessel fueling him. It was only a matter of time before Saba fell.

The Herald of Death- Command Center

Admiral Thrawn studied the holographic diagrams that were laid out in front of him like a dejarik board. Even now the first pieces were being moved. Galactic Alliance anti-fighter platforms were moving in front of the Mon Calamari capital ship vessels that comprised the bulk of the Alliance forces. Ships from the Fel Empire moved into firing range.

Thrawn kept his forces in position. The Master assured him that victory was assured. Having heard news of additional Chiss warships and two stealth-capable Super Star Destroyers en route, Thrawn believed him.

Thrawn turned his attention to the real-time security footage of The Master's current battle with the two Jedi that he had allowed onboard. One Jedi was on his knees struggling to stand. The other Jedi, a Barabel, danced around The Master. Thrawn studied the battle with great interest. These battles were often revealing of an opponent's weaknesses, so The Master told him. Perhaps the Admiral could learn The Master's weaknesses...

The Soldier's proposal certainly was interesting. Could he betray The Master? He took the last Thrawn clone in as his most trusted servant. He knew what his place was. He was a tool for The Master. He would be a tool for The Soldier as well. Thrawn's time in the CEDF taught him how to navigate political minefields, and this was no different. He would watch and wait.

The Master blocked another of the Barabel Jedi's attacks. This one was aimed for his left thigh. Saba Sebatyne made a spinning attack, her lightsaber aimed at The Master's head, her tail aimed to sweep his legs. The Master ducked under her lightsaber, but his legs were caught by the Barabel's thick tail. The Master's legs were taken out from under him, forcing him onto his back.

The Master rolled away from downward strike from the Jedi Master. He was quickly back on his feet. Saba attempted the same maneuver again. This time The Master spun away. He grabbed the Barabel's thick tail with his left hand. The muscular appendage ripped away from the Barabel with little effort on his part. He stumbled back in surprise, remembering that Barabel tails could be detatched with ease.

As Saba turned back around The Master tossed the tail at her. He reached out with the Force, forcing the appendage to explode in midair. The blast showered the Barabel with her own flesh and blood, the force of the blast caused her to stumble backwards.

The Master sauntered forward. He was upon her before she could recover, knocking her blade out of her hands. He punched her in the gut and quickly followed up with a powerful kick to her left knee. She fell flat on her face. As she tried to get back up The Master firmly placed his boot on her back.

"And now, Jedi, you will die." He said as he raised his lightsaber up. As the final strike fell, The Master was sent flying by a powerful Force Push. The attack sent him flying into one of the unmanned computer consoles at the head of the bridge, just passed his demolished throne.

The Master batted away the broken console as he stood back up, suffering only minor cosmetic damage to his shell. He saw Kyp Durron standing upright, blood staining his hair and robes.

"Injured and still you fight?" The Master queried, confused at the Jedi's resistance. "You only prolong your suffering."

Kyp Durron reactivated his lightsaber. "Maybe so, but I'll fight you to the end."

The Master laughed. "Foolish. Your end has come, the Force awaits you."

Saba Sebatyne stood up, recalling her lightsaber. The Master studied them, realizing that he can no longer engage them separately.

He lifted his lightsaber in the air with the Force. Darkness wrapped around it; in an instant the weapon was gone, replaced by a lightsaber with a much longer hilt. It settled gently in The Master's hand.

His claws wrapped around the weapon. "This is the weapon I used during the final days of the last war against the Sith. I took inspiration from ancient steel swords for its design." He paused for a moment, his gaze focused on the weapon. "It-"

The Master was interrupted by the sight of seeing a silver lightsaber blade pierce through the bridge doors. The sound of blaster fire could be heard on the other side. The silver blade began to cut a hole in the door as the sound of blaster fire faded away.

The Master paused, curious to see who had infiltrated his vessel without him knowing. Once the blade had made a full circle, the cut section caved forward. A group of five armored men entered the bridge. Their armor was stained crimson, their helms sloped in similar fashion to the Imperial Guards in service of the old Galactic Empire. Their leader was the largest among them, and his armor was adorned with large, jutting shoulder pads. On his chest was a symbol of a trio of lightsabers interposed together. He then noticed the symbol of the Fel Empire on the leader's left shoulder pad.

Anger and fury bubbled up within him. "Servants of the Emperor!" The Master exclaimed, pointing his unactivated weapon at his new foes.

Their leader stepped forward. "We are Imperial Knights- servants to his majesty Emperor Jagged Fel." His voice was heavy, muffled by his helm. "The Emperor has command us to kill you. We will oblige." He said as he activated his lightsaber once again, the other Knights quick to follow. Their blades were all silver to show a sense of unity.

The Jedi, with renewed strength at the sight of their new allies, took up fighting stances.

The Master reached out a hand. The darkness responded to his call. It descended around him, forming a swirling twister that crackled dark side energy around him. The twister began to increase in speed, four columns forming in front of The Master. The dark energy began to draw into these columns. The residual darkness began to lift away as the columns took shape, forming into exact replicas of The Master.

The Master activated his lightsaber, the red blade nearly one meter longer than the standard lightsaber. The replicas activated their own lightsabers, and charged into battle. The Master followed after them, holding his blade upright. The replicas engaged the Imperial Knights in single combat, the two Jedi and the leader of the Knights moved past them to engage The Master.

The Master fell upon them, spreading them out. Kyp Durron fell to his left, Saba Sebatyne to his right, leaving the lone Knight to take the full brunt of The Master's assault. The Master's first strike was quick, the blade was a blur as he twirled it to protect himself from all sides. His opponents were fast, but they could not penetrate his defense. He introduced brilliant flourishes and spins into his assault as he pushed forward on the Knight, passing one of The Master's replicas as it cut down one of the Knights with a smooth decapitation. Saba retaliated in kind, decapitating the replica, and quickly returning her blade to block one of The Master's flourishes that would have amputated her leg.

The Master continued to push forward, his attacks coming with such blinding speed that the Jedi could barely keep up. The Master made a large spin, his lightsaber making contact with each of his opponent's weapons. His spin flowed into a graceful leap. He landed on the ground, sending waves of Force energy outward around him. The blast sent each of his foes flying back.

The Master charged forward to resume his attack against the Imperial Knight leader. The Knight's lightsaber came up a moment too late. The Master's lightsaber broke through his defense and dug into his chest armor, the thick material proving to be the Knight's only defense, but the attack was sufficient to incapacitate him.

The Master quickly spun back around to defend himself against a leaping attack from Saba Sebatyne. The Master pushed her away and made a counterattack before she could gain any momentum. His lightsaber was a blur as it moved, striking from multiple angles in quick succession, as if he were using multiple weapons.

Saba's defense held strong against the assault. She was fast, almost invisible to the average Jedi. But The Master was just as fast, more so even. His assault was furious, the long blade was moved effortlessly between attacks. His attacks were precise, and his movements minimalistic. Their blades finally made a sustained clash. Saba Sebatyne growled, her struggle against The Master made obvious. The Master pushed down on her, the strength that he was afforded by his transformation proved to be superior to the Barabel's inhuman strength. He slowly pushed her down. She began to bend back under the pressure.

The Master averted his gaze from the weakening Jedi. He saw Kyp Durron cut down one of the replicas. He began to run towards them. The Master broke away from the saber lock only to quickly knee Saba in the chest. She doubled over in pain. The Master raised his lightsaber and plunged it into Master Sebatyne's spine, the blade piercing her heart.

Kyp Durron's pace didn't slow. He fell upon The Master in a blind rage, attacking with furious downward strikes. The Master deflected his attacks with ease. In a show of final superiority, The Master guided Kyp's lightsaber to his right and punched Durron hard in the cheek, displacing his jaw. Kyp Durron staggered back. The Master reached out his left hand, grasping Kyp with the Force. He lifted him up in the air.

"Did you really think you could defeat me?" The Master asked in a mocking tone. "This is the center of my power. I gave you fair warning. You are responsible for this." He closed the distance between them until they were face to face. "I promised you a warrior's death, but I have other uses for you." He concentrated his focus on Kyp's throat, depriving him of oxygen. He gasped for air, grabbing at the invisible hands at his throat until he fell unconcious.

The Master dropped the unconcious Jedi to the ground. He tapped the body with his boot to ensure that he was unconcious. He surveyed the battlefield that the bridge of his flagship had become. His replicas had cut down the Imperial Knights.

The Master believed that he had made great strides in the opening movements of his new war.

Edited by Aurbere

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay, but here is Chapter 8. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 8

The Master surveyed the bridge. The corpses of Imperial Knights lay strewn across the bridge. Destroyed computer consoles sparked sporadically, damaged from the outbursts of Force powered assaults. The Master heard a soft coughing, faint, nearly unnoticeable. The Master eyed the source of the disturbance: the leader of the Imperial Knights. He had propped himself up next to the door, clutching his inactive lightsaber tightly.

The Master quickly approached the Knight. He knelt down beside him. "You are a resilient one, Imperial." The Master reached out a hand to grab the Imperial's lightsaber. The soldier struggled at first, but The Master's superior strength won out, prying the lightsaber out of his hand. "Perhaps I can find some uses for you?"

As he stood back up, The Master's seven elite guardsmen entere the bridge, lightstaves in hand. The Captain of the guard, The Master's Voice, approched. He bowed his head. "My lord, perhaps next time you allow your guard to defend you?" His low voice was grating, it made The Master pity his condition.

The Master handed him the Knight's lightsaber. "Perhaps." He deflected. "Take the unconcious Jedi to the medical center, and the Imperial to Brain's ship. Present him as a gift. I want to know what secrets lie in his mind."

The Voice waved the other guardsmen to action. "As you command, my lord."

The Herald of Death- Command Center

Thrawn studied the holographic ships that exchanged fire above his robust holoprojector. As The Master predicted, the Empire and Alliance vessels worked in tandem to dismantle the fleet The Master named Death's Embrace. A total of one hundred vessels fired upon The Master's fleet, but their numerical superiority did not translate to an easy victory.

The battle progressed smoothly. The Watchers and their ships protected The Herald's flanks, and the Chiss ships took the majority of turbolaser fire from the enemy ships. Per The Master's instruction, Thrawn kept the centerpiece to the fleet- The Herald- on standby. Thrawn questioned the orders, for twelve of the twenty Chiss ships had already been destroyed, and two more were severely crippled.

As the fifteenth Chiss Warship was destroyed, Thrawn opened a channel to the remaining ships in the fleet. "Coordinate your attack on the central flagship. All Chiss Warships, drain shields to power engines and weapons, and engage those ships at point-blank range."

Then he transmitted orders for The Herald of Death to begin firing at maximum firepower. "All fighter squadrons! Regroup in formation and distract the enemy gun batteries and fighters."

After closing the channel, the lights in the Command Center began to flicker. Holographic images phased in and out before flickering back on. Thrawn knew what it meant, and his assumption was proved correct when the door to the Command Center opened, and The Master entered.

"My lord?" Thrawn attempted to keep his attention on the battle, his Chiss discipline and training kicking in.

The Master paused to study the Mon Calamarian statue next to the door. "I see you have taken up one of your father's battle strategies."

"Yes, my lord." He responded, his voice shaky at first. "My father was very successful using this tactic."

The Master turned away from the statue, and walked into the light that was cast off by the holoprojector. The pale light illuminated and reflected off his steel mask. "Your father's success came from his brilliant mind. Artwork was but one tactic. Do not forget that."

Thrawn resolved himself, steeling himself against the mental weight The Master's mere presence created. "Yes, my lord."

"Good." The Master paused, studying the battle. "You have made yourself familiar with my plans?"

Thrawn hesitated at first. His plans were complex, a dozen plans for each possible contingency, each one seemingly foolproof. "Yes, my lord."

"Excellent." The Master backed out of the light and towards the door. "When our reinforcments arrive, ensure that no one survives." He turned on his feel and exited the chamber.

"Yes... my lord." After the door closed behind him, Thrawn felt the pressure on his mind begin to lift, the knot in his stomach unravel. He shook his head clear of the event and returned to the battle.

Kyp Durron groggily woke up. His vision faded in and out before finally clearing. A bright, white light shined in his eyes. His eyes adjusted to the light. He studied his surroundings. He was in a small white room with several small medical compartments along the walls. His eyes drifted around the room until he saw The Master and a 2-1b Medical Droid standing next to a table, what looked like a torture rack. Kyp Durron focused on who was on the table. He recognized her as Jaina Solo.

"The subject's body is healing, sir." The droid said in the model's usual heavy tone. "She remains willful."

The Master grabbed one of Jaina's arms, studying the bacta pads that had been wrapped around it. "We'll have to try something else. Perhaps Master Durron can serve as a test subject until she awakens." He carefully placed Jaina's arm back at her side. "Shut down for now, your services are no longer required."

"Yes, sir." The droid replied before its photoreceptors went dark.

Kyp Durron thrashed against his bindings. He tried to summon the Force to his aid, but something stopped him. The Master, having noticed that he was awake, approached the leaning table that he was strapped to.

"Master Durron. It is good to see that you are still among the living." The Master said, attempting to speak in a light-hearted tone, but his cold voice could not produce one.

"What have you done to her?" Kyp growled.

The Master used the Force to move a small table of pristene silver items over from across the room. "She's fine, to my dismay." His hand drifted over the items. Some of them were serrated cutting tools, others were items that could be found in medical wards. "I am attempting to break her will through pain, but she resisted the first... session." The Master's hand stopped over a slim, serrated, cutting tool.

"You are a monster!"

The Master stopped at those words. They weren't new to him, but they seemed to strike him harder than any of Kyp's attacks during their duel. The Master raised the tool to Kyp's face. "I would think freezing Naboo would have made this obvious to you. Know that I was forced to choose this."

"You've chosen to be a murderer?!"

"My path is one of salvation, for the galaxy." The ire in The Master's voice began to rise. "The Jedi made this choice for me, and now you shall serve as a test subject in my attempts to mold Jaina Solo into my new heir."

Kyp Durron's eyes widened at the revelation. "So that's your plan? Torture her until she pledges her loyalty to you?"

The Master scraped the serrated edge of his tool against one of his claws. "If my experiments on you are unsuccessful, I shall resort to mental torture. I kept you alive as a test subject. If you do not break under physical pain, I will use mental torture against her." He paused. He prodded Kyp's arm with the blade. "You are apart of something grand. Jaina Solo is strong, but under my guidance, she will achieve her potential."

The Master touched the serrated edge to Kyp's skin. He paused for a moment. "Prepare yourself in any way you can."

The 2-1b droid was reprogrammed to include torture protocols, and to basically ignore any regards for life unless ordered to keep someone alive.

Edited by Aurbere