Could we, the players get an option to acquire our own FLAGSHIPs?

Augustus

Not sure how many have noticed it, but Rishi SH includes a ship to decorate. Finding that has given me a whole new outlook on that SH.

Not quite the same as a personal starship as it seems to be more of high atmosphere orbital station, but I absolutely love it.. and yes, you can put up to 4 of your personal class ships on it :)

The unlock for it is right where you zone in.

Apologies if someone else mentioned it already.

Not disagreeing with the thread as I would also love a personal starship based more on our factions.

Oh no it's okay, we do know Rishi does have the Sky Carrier. And I personally have no issue with that other then maybe some additional hooks for the interior, what some of us are pointing out is there is plenty of potential to have a personal flagship and/or even a smaller guild flag ship with what had been laid out thus far and what swtor has in-game content wise. Just kinda wondering if EA/Bioware has considered it, and or even have contemplated the idea of having personal flag ships. And to what degree would their versatility would be if they were to implement them. I've laid out my thoughts and even a semi-descriptive layout of what they would be interior wise. Which brings me to this DragonArt, and I don't mean to put you on the spot but kinda going to, you mentioned you don't disagree with the thread. But would you like to see them implement this? And if so, to what level of versatility? By this would you want them to act similar to the current guild flagships with being able to travel and drop ops teams into a location on a world below? Or more like the Sky Carrier with it being basically a slow moving stronghold that happens to be in space and around the fleet station?

Edited by dumbreject

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no it's okay, we do know Rishi does have the Sky Carrier. And I personally have no issue with that other then maybe some additional hooks for the interior, what some of us are pointing out is there is plenty of potential to have a personal flagship and/or even a smaller guild flag ship with what had been laid out thus far and what swtor has in-game content wise. Just kinda wondering if EA/Bioware has considered it, and or even have contemplated the idea of having personal flag ships. And to what degree would their versatility would be if they were to implement them. I've laid out my thoughts and even a semi-descriptive layout of what they would be interior wise. Which brings me to this DragonArt, and I don't mean to put you on the spot but kinda going to, you mentioned you don't disagree with the thread. But would you like to see them implement this? And if so, to what level of versatility? By this would you want them to act similar to the current guild flagships with being able to travel and drop ops teams into a location on a world below? Or more like the Sky Carrier with it being basically a slow moving stronghold that happens to be in space and around the fleet station?

I have not had much experience with guild ships, so probably not the best to ask. I did always want to customize my personal ship, but think it would be cool to have a much larger one.. nor as big as the guild ships though. I would love if it could at least be used for travel. A smaller guild ship for tiny guilds would be nice too. The current one is not doable at all for small casual guilds. Less complicated would be nice too. I don't even understand conquests anymore, let alone how to expand the flagships.

I have not had much experience with guild ships, so probably not the best to ask. I did always want to customize my personal ship, but think it would be cool to have a much larger one.. nor as big as the guild ships though. I would love if it could at least be used for travel. A smaller guild ship for tiny guilds would be nice too. The current one is not doable at all for small casual guilds. Less complicated would be nice too. I don't even understand conquests anymore, let alone how to expand the flagships.

Well I can explain some of that, and why I had made the suggestions I did before. For the current flags you have to defeat faction commanders on particular planets, each planet has a different commander that gives a component used to help in unlocking a section and/or even a room from what I understand. You need a number of these components for this as well, so an example would you need 10 control components to unlock the Control Deck. And possibly a number of those same components as well as a certain amount of credits to unlock a room on that same deck. Problem is the commander takes time to re-spawn much like the world boss. And much like the world boss you need a literal raiding party since you are attacking a faction base, so you're flagged pvp automatically. So have to contend with players of the faction you're attacking showing up to defend the base as a real possibility. The time to build up the party and the decision of what component you want and where the commander who has that is located makes the process far more tedious for smaller guilds then for larger ones as they can spare the manpower to plan this more accordingly and have groups setup for attacking and defending the attackers.

As for conquests, your guild has to do a certain amount on a planet to have control over it. To what those are they specifically is essentially a number of missions, killing the world boss, killing the faction commander, and a number of other things not directly associated controlling the planet. So PvP, GSF, and ops to accumulate a certain amount points to contend with other guilds. At least that's the impression I've been lead to believe, how this all really works is still above my complete understanding. So if this not entirely accurate I'd like to know what it is so that the record can be set straight.

The Rishi SH does have a ship to decorate, but it's very dark, noisy, windowless, and has poor hook layout.

There's only one interior window and the view is blocked by a floor-to-ceiling computer screen, so you have to be within 5' of the window (by character scale) to see out of it. There's an okay view (mostly of clouds) from the "sky deck" on top of the ship.

The interior rooms and halls are very dark. There are no ceiling hooks in the rooms, so you'll have to buy floor lamps to fix it.

The room walls have only Small Wall hooks, except for the Reactor Room (and the bridge?) which have very few Mediums, further limiting your lighting and decorating options.

There aren't any hooks in the room corners, so if you like the "conversation area" centralized style of furniture layout, you're in good shape, otherwise not so much.

The interior ceilings are all very low, so no tall decorations will fit.

As for the Sky Deck, don't expect to put a rug under a furniture arrangement. Also, get used to riding a pre-placed speeder, as there is no other way to travel fore to aft (or vice versa) without passing through the PVP zone and getting dismounted, having your companion return, etc.

I highly recommend visiting someone's unlocked Rishi SH to see for yourself before spending the credits.

The Guild Flagship hooks are much better. (If there was a higher hook limit, it would be perfect!) If you want the thrill of decorating a ship, I suggest you start your own dummy guild and work on unlocking a flagship.

I think if I could have any ship as a stronghold, I would like to see the Class ships totally gutted, with no pre-placed items at all -- no computers, no beds, nothing except the holocom terminal and the bridge controls. Then they would make good strongholds. Otherwise, they'd be too frustrating for RP, as some of them have no crew quarters (even Doc jokes about sleeping in the med bay, another companion jokes about sleeping in the escape pod) or other logical amenities.

Edited by Xina_LA

Not going to quote all the posts I'm responding to, because I'm short on time here, but in order of appearance:

@Dumnbreject: No, hadn't read the entire thread, just the highlights, so I missed your post. I think your idea has merit (and obviously I posted a suggestion similar to yours, so clearly we're on the same page), but flagships are not in a good place for a variety of reasons, and I'd prefer to see that addressed before they give us more of the same.

@DragonArt: Each faction commander generally drops one Encryption per raid member, and it takes 50 Encryptions to make 1 Framework. Each room on a flagship requires anywhere from 3-5 Frameworks to unlock (and 5 million credits). There are three types of Encryptions/Frameworks - Engineering, Command, and Logistics. If you're doing the math, that's a metric TON of guild time and resources to fully unlock your flagship. Once done, you are only allotted an 800 hook capacity (there are more than 800 hooks, obviously, but you're only allowed to use 800 of them). Given the sheer size of the (Imperial) flagship, it makes it very difficult to decorate a flagship well.

@Xina_LA: I recently finished my guild's Rishi SH, including the patrol hover carrier. Despite the limitations, it looks damn amazing, if I do say so myself. So to your suggestion, if anyone is on Satele Shan, you're more than welcome to check it out so that you can see for yourself what it's capable of looking like with a bit of resourcefulness, attention to detail, and credits. Lots and lots of credits. Simply go to the Rishi public directory, select the filter at the top right and choose guild instead of personal, then travel to the Grim Determination Rishi SH.

@Mournblood, I'm unfortunately not familiar as to what is going on with them right now. Mainly cause I don't run a guild and don't have a guild ship, and would like to know what it is. However glad that we are on the same page with the idea of the ships. And I even got basic interior layouts drawn up for both.

https://image.ibb.co/i9v1xp/Terminus_Interior_Layout.png

https://image.ibb.co/j1LRxp/Hammerhead_Interior_Layout.png

@Mournblood, I'm unfortunately not familiar as to what is going on with them right now. Mainly cause I don't run a guild and don't have a guild ship, and would like to know what it is.

The biggest issue is the hook limitation. A fully unlocked Imperial Harrower-class dreadnought is HUGE. 800 hooks is only 50 more than what's allotted for Yavin 4, which while expansive, isn't as big as a guild flagship. Then for some unfathomable reasons, they increased the capacity for Manaan, which is one of THE most difficult strongholds to decorate to 100% due to the terrible hook allocation. Then there's the new Rishi SH, with a monstrous 1600 hook capacity. It is indeed on par with a guild flagship, and definitely larger when you factor in the hover carrier, but it's not twice as big, which seems to be the logic for 800 vs 1600. Players have been asking for BW to increase the hook capacity for guild flagships for a long time, but instead they increased Manaan. Huh?

In addition to the hook capacity issue for flagships, you're not able to visit one without an invite from someone with a key. Unlike other strongholds, when you list one in the public directory, anyone without a key can come visit that SH when you're online. For a guild flagship, the public directory only serves to show prestige rankings, nothing more. They need to make the public directory for guild flagships work the same way as it does for regular strongholds.

They also did an extremely poor job with the engine room (Engineering Deck). It's incredibly small, and although you can see through the windows to look at the massive fusion drive, you're not able to place any decorations out there. It's a bit silly when you think about it, and it's a lost opportunity to use decorations like the Sun Reactor (which requires a starship hook) or the Fusion Generator (which requires a centerpiece hook).

Finally, there's smaller issues like the support beams on the bridge (toward the front) are not symmetrical, which makes it difficult to place decos there since they end up incongruous. And the far opposite room on the Command Deck glitches sometimes causing all the decorations to flash out of existence. Lastly, some of the floor hooks (notably on the Crew Deck) don't work with newer decorations. You can place the deco there, but it doesn't show and still counts against your capacity limit.

So yeah, quite a few long-standing issues there, and I (among others) would much rather see them address those before giving us something else that has similar problems.

Not going to quote all the posts I'm responding to, because I'm short on time here, but in order of appearance:

@DragonArt: Each faction commander generally drops one Encryption per raid member, and it takes 50 Encryptions to make 1 Framework. Each room on a flagship requires anywhere from 3-5 Frameworks to unlock (and 5 million credits). There are three types of Encryptions/Frameworks - Engineering, Command, and Logistics. If you're doing the math, that's a metric TON of guild time and resources to fully unlock your flagship. Once done, you are only allotted an 800 hook capacity (there are more than 800 hooks, obviously, but you're only allowed to use 800 of them). Given the sheer size of the (Imperial) flagship, it makes it very difficult to decorate a flagship well.

That is crazy.. ah well, guess I won't ever have one to play with.. I don't care for large guilds or raiding, (hell, I even hate Flashpoints and that also goes for my guildmates). I really wish Bioware would take small guilds and solo players into consideration. A ship for us would be much appreciated.

That is crazy.. ah well, guess I won't ever have one to play with.. I don't care for large guilds or raiding, (hell, I even hate Flashpoints and that also goes for my guildmates). I really wish Bioware would take small guilds and solo players into consideration. A ship for us would be much appreciated.

Buy one already unlocked. People buy & sell ships frequently.

Well, that misses the point altogether :p

Besides, I don't trust people.. most likely stolen guilds.

It's not unheard of, but there has been a few guilds built up by those who sell fully unlocked guild flagships. And the price is extremely high, and the time it takes to build up a guild up to that point is long. Considering first funds, then manpower, time, and available resources dependent on time as well. Would estimate that it would take roughly 4 months to have build a guild up to be able to run the necessary ops to get the components and the funds to unlock every section and room of a flagship, this is also considering RL stuff like jobs and schools. I remember one guy selling a guild with a fully unlocked ship about 5 months ago. I don't recall what the price was exactly, but suffice to say I wasn't going to afford it. And for something that big to own for myself seemed a bit excessive. Bordering ridiculous really for one person to have a ship that size and not have the people to say crew it or even fill it up with some form of life really. Kinda reinforces the notion of implementing small personal flagships and smaller guild flagships if you think about it.

It's not unheard of, but there has been a few guilds built up by those who sell fully unlocked guild flagships. And the price is extremely high, and the time it takes to build up a guild up to that point is long. Considering first funds, then manpower, time, and available resources dependent on time as well. Would estimate that it would take roughly 4 months to have build a guild up to be able to run the necessary ops to get the components and the funds to unlock every section and room of a flagship, this is also considering RL stuff like jobs and schools. I remember one guy selling a guild with a fully unlocked ship about 5 months ago. I don't recall what the price was exactly, but suffice to say I wasn't going to afford it. And for something that big to own for myself seemed a bit excessive. Bordering ridiculous really for one person to have a ship that size and not have the people to say crew it or even fill it up with some form of life really. Kinda reinforces the notion of implementing small personal flagships and smaller guild flagships if you think about it.

There are certainly failed guilds that constitute some of the flagship sales you see, but as was noted, it can also either be a guild that was hijacked/stolen, or someone who's flipping the guild flagship in the same way you'd flip a house. In the latter case, they look for someone who's selling one cheap, then fix it up to sell it for a profit. You can actually purchase the encryptions and frameworks on the GTN, though that gets expensive fast. But don't forget that you get encryptions from completing the weekly guild Conquest.

A fully unlocked and decorated flagship can sell for as much as 1B credits, bearing in mind that it costs somewhere between 500-750 million to fully unlock and decorate (the range depends on the quality of the decorations used), which doesn't include the time invested to do all of that. So yeah, a whole truckload of credits to buy one that's unlocked and pre-furnished, or a whole lot of time and effort from a guild.

Incidentally, my guild has been around since the beginning of the game, and we only fully unlocked our flagship last year. I made it a priority when I took over as guild leader (we were at 10 out of 15 rooms unlocked, and it was really bothering me how we hadn't unlocked the entire thing after 5 years in the game), as it wasn't really a focus for our former GL.

Well, that misses the point altogether :p

Besides, I don't trust people.. most likely stolen guilds.

The point I thought was to get a Flagship. Since BW has not made it available to players, only guilds, that is a way to get what you want.

And as Mourn stated you can get the encryptions off the GTN, or for doing conquest yourself.

As for trusting people, I'm not quite sure what that has to do with getting a ship. Anyone who has a guild ship has acquired it by how the game deems it. As you can't steal a guild ship unless you hack the GM's account.

I currently am GM of a guild I used to be a member of that has since died off. Pub side barely active. Imp dead. (Isn't first time as hubby actually logged in around first of the year & got GM position. Gave it back & now I got it.)

A lot of people log in to find themselves GM of a dead guild. Especially if they took a hiatus from game & came back. It's not illegal nor wrong to sell it.

Why does everyone think that just buying an existing guild ship is a solution?

First, that means you have to acquire the guild, then you have to somehow switch all of your characters to it, thus abandoning all the effort you have put into your existing guild.

It forces you to have all of your characters in the same guild.

Also, buying a guild with a ship is stupidly expensive, which is expected as so are the parts and effort that went into it.

Also, how do you trade funds to get said guild without the risk of just getting scammed? Part of where the distrust is. it's not like you can just put it into a trade window. there is also nothing stopping them from claiming you stole it either.

I also do not condone people selling off guilds just because the leader was away for a few weeks. It may not be against the rules, but it is totally despicable.

Many of us want something that is attainable by casual/solo players.

Lastly, I don't want premade anything anyway.. much of the fun is building something up... but as a casual player, guild ships are way out of reach. yes, I could buy one for my guild, but expanding it would just never happen. Last I looked, soloing Ops is not an option. hell, even doing ops at all is never going to be feasible for some of us.

I really don't think that personal, decorate-able ships is an unreasonable request. It doesn't have to be related to conquests, in fact, it shouldn't be. I think BW is really missing out of a good opportunity :p

I would love a hammerhead stronghold.

So badly. I would be the admiral and my crew would wear old republic gear :D

Please make it happen ! I would rather have a small one than none. ;).

Well here is a basic interior layout of the Hammerhead, tell me what you think? I also have a Terminus layout in case you want to take a look at it.

https://image.ibb.co/j1LRxp/Hammerhead_Interior_Layout.png

think it's a good idea, but I wonder what the odds are, so how likely is it that a developer will see that?

Personally I hope that an Imperial frigate the size of a Yavin fortress would be built like a guild ship, maybe with the function of a guild ship to travel in space. So a Terminus or C class destroyer would be appropriate, considering that a Harrower class destroyer (Dreadnaught) serves as a guild ship.

The contribution itself is now no longer the youngest actually knows who the status is like?

Thank you Ysuet, I am thinking of some slight modifications to the layout. What I had drawn up originally was a rough outline, with room for improvement. So any input you want to give would be appreciated.

And LordMetroplex, I have the outline for the Terminus if you want to take a look at it and give some input on.

https://image.ibb.co/i9v1xp/Terminus_Interior_Layout.png

I may not be a developer, but hey hopefully they can take what is here and use it. Might cut some of the workload if they have a reference that everyone say they like.

You can acquire your own personal flagship by buying one which is often a better deal than making one if you like the guild and ship names. There are also a few hoops to make a flagship.

I already started to make it easier by slowing selling part of my personal fleets on the East and West coast servers. So acquiring your own flagship is just a question of credits and luck.

Happy hunting.

I'd be content with simply being able to modify my class ship a bit more than just adding mailbox etc. But yeah, I'd love to have a proper ship that all my legacy characters could use which I could also decorate, invite other players to etc.

Soloing a guild flagship isn't really a suitable option. As the OP pointed out, Guild flagships tend to be pretty bare as it is since even many regular sized guilds struggle to fit them out.

• 2 weeks later...
Why does everyone think that just buying an existing guild ship is a solution?

It's the solution because BW has given you no other option. It may not be one you like but it's still a solution.

Also, buying a guild with a ship is stupidly expensive, which is expected as so are the parts and effort that went into it.

Ehh depends. lol I paid 30mil for a Ship, Fully unlocked SH, etc...Not bad at all. On a busy server too. My Imp guild I inherited on that server. And before you cast judgement, no one had logged in on that side in forever. I even posted a message on the dead pub side that still has a few active players on how to get in contact with me (out of game too) to get Imp side, no one bothered.

Also, how do you trade funds to get said guild without the risk of just getting scammed? Part of where the distrust is. it's not like you can just put it into a trade window. there is also nothing stopping them from claiming you stole it either.

You do like I have always done. Give them half of what they want, have it transfered over to you, takes like a min, then trade the other half.

If you keep logs of what's happened, they can't do anything to you. It will show it's not been stolen.

I also do not condone people selling off guilds just because the leader was away for a few weeks. It may not be against the rules, but it is totally despicable.

A few weeks away the guild can't even be touched. It has to be 29 days of inactivity. If a GM does not state they're going away at that time for that period, it doesn't matter then anyway as the GM obviously does NOT care about the guild anymore.

Lastly, I don't want premade anything anyway.. much of the fun is building something up... but as a casual player, guild ships are way out of reach. yes, I could buy one for my guild, but expanding it would just never happen. Last I looked, soloing Ops is not an option. hell, even doing ops at all is never going to be feasible for some of us.

It's called pick up decorations. One button, boom. The benefits to buying a guild ship pre-decorated/owned is the fact you can get a LOT of rare/expensive decorations for cheap.

I really don't think that personal, decorate-able ships is an unreasonable request. It doesn't have to be related to conquests, in fact, it shouldn't be. I think BW is really missing out of a good opportunity :p

But that's part of the carrot on a string for conquest. A ship, invasions, guild events, etc... It's not meant for solo players.

I'm not against your idea, but some of your reasoning is a bit off mate. :)

Also this isn't the best area for this. Post this in the Suggestion's Area of the forums. Might get seen then.

I agree, after recent changes, it's no longer possible for a solo player to unlock a guild ship's expansions. (Sadly, smaller guilds have also lost that ability.)

This increases the need for a ship-based stronghold.

It's a shame we lost the Gravestone, because once all its rooms were opened, it could have been a great SH.

Our class ships would have to be completely gutted of all pre-existing furniture to make a good SH.

My husband is a huge fan of Hammerheads. I almost hope that they don't come out with this, because even if it was $50, we'd end up buying it. :rolleyes:LOL

If it was technically possible for a personal SH ship to fly around like a guild ship, changing what you see out the windows and allowing easy transport to a particular destination, yeah, I'd blow a lot of CC on it.

Edited by Xina_LA