Any advice on Open World PvP?

Zephury

So.. My objective with all of my characters starting with my Sentinel is to do my best in out numbered situations with open world PvP. I know it will be quite difficult, but I would love to get to the point where I can take on 3 and 4 people at once, and still take them all down every time. To be honest, I know that would most likely be against people who aren't fully geared, but I'd like to get as close to it as possible. So.. I guess you can say that I wanna be a lone wolf of some sort. I know that you aren't meant to fight alone, and the game works best when working with your team. But I like challenges. So my main question for this is..

As a Sentinel; what companion could most likely suit me best in an outnumbered situation? I'm guessing it's between Doc and Kira. The extra HP from Doc would of course give me a bit more survivability, yet Kira would help me take them down faster..

So my goal is not only to improve myself as a player and with the best possible gear, but to also improve my companion as well as my companion control. (I do know that some PvP areas don't allow companions, that's not a problem, I just want to have the best help possible from my companion when it's applicable)

I do plan on gearing my companion very well, of course. I've heard that Presence of course affects your companions stats; but does that presence come in to effect when geared ON the companion or on yourself? Would it be worth it to focus on presence or just get him or her the equivalent of Elite War-Hero once 2.0 comes out? Thanks!

Open world pvp - healer companions are the only ones worth having. if you're outnumbered, you're outnumbered. that'll come down to your skill as a player. a companion, unless fully geared in aug'd war hero, will provide almost no real benefit beyond distracting the other people you're outnumbered against. at least make them a healer companion, so they can heal you.

you will very rarely see open world pvp with an equal gear gap - it will always be like 4 or 5 lowbies, or one guy who has way more gear than you owning your arse.

so, go healer companion, get a friend and group up, and both have healer companions. player dps > companion dps.

Presence only works if it's on YOU - but is not as helpful as having more mainstat or power. only take advantage of the presence you get naturally, or the bonus presence form having multiple toons with max affection companions.

my source? I do this ALL THE TIME. Prophecy of the Five - My name's Macdermott and my buddy is Controx. We usually own :) We're both min maxed aug'd WH with aug'd WH companions. That's the way to do it.

Edited by Uber_the_Goober

Open world pvp - healer companions are the only ones worth having. if you're outnumbered, you're outnumbered. that'll come down to your skill as a player. a companion, unless fully geared in aug'd war hero, will provide almost no real benefit beyond distracting the other people you're outnumbered against. at least make them a healer companion, so they can heal you.

you will very rarely see open world pvp with an equal gear gap - it will always be like 4 or 5 lowbies, or one guy who has way more gear than you owning your arse.

so, go healer companion, get a friend and group up, and both have healer companions. player dps > companion dps.

Presence only works if it's on YOU - but is not as helpful as having more mainstat or power. only take advantage of the presence you get naturally, or the bonus presence form having multiple toons with max affection companions.

my source? I do this ALL THE TIME. Prophecy of the Five - My name's Macdermott and my buddy is Controx. We usually own :) We're both min maxed aug'd WH with aug'd WH companions. That's the way to do it.

Thanks! I'll definately go Doc then. Any advice on which War Hero to get Doc? To optimize his healing/survival.. I guess it couldn't hurt to give him a bit of endurance and armor rating to help him survive a bit longer.

Thanks! I'll definately go Doc then. Any advice on which War Hero to get Doc? To optimize his healing/survival.. I guess it couldn't hurt to give him a bit of endurance and armor rating to help him survive a bit longer.

Get him whatever gear has the stats that he uses. For my comp, guss tuno, he uses cunning. so i satck him in cunning gear. you may have to get orange offhands and put in your own mods that you yank from other pvp gear pieces to make it optimized. depends on what your companion uses.

just stack mainstat, endurance, and power. just like for you. crit/surge is secondary on a companion. they're only there for distraction/occasional heals. plus their heal skills don't happen as often as a player healer, so a high crit rating won't be as effective. toggle off ALL attack abilities, so they focus on healing you. they will default to using a blaster shot when their heals are on cooldown. but you definitely don't want them wasting their time channelling a stun for 6 or 8 seconds when you need a heal. they will default to attacking the other player's companion too, for some reason. so the two end up cancelling each other out usually. that's why a healer companion gives you the edge, because he's helping keep you alive, where the other guy's HK-51 or whatever is wasting his time attacking your companion. by the time your companion's health is low in a 1v1, you should have won the fight.

Edited by Uber_the_Goober