SWTOR class roles and your personality type

Lhancelot

I believe that in many cases what class role in a game can represent the type of personality-type a player has. Here are some of my observations over many years of playing MMOs.

Healers - These players are empathetic, caring, always putting others ahead of themselves. These people prefer to think before they act. These players tend to be open-minded, often getting along with all types of people though most of the time they don't go seeking out others, instead others tend to seek them out for their insight or just for a shoulder to lean on.

Tanks - These players usually have a strong sense of what is right and wrong. They stick to their personal moral codes, and those who share their way of thoughts can become best friends of these strong willed, often times not-so-flexible personality types. Tank players tend to like a sense of order, things ought to go a certain way and straying off sensible, known beaten paths can sometimes prove very difficult for tank players. Sometimes loyalty can get in the way of logical thinking with these players, but any time you happen to befriend a tank you can guarantee you have a friend for life.

Damage (DPS) - These players are a bit more varied than their other two counterparts! Either the DPS player tends to be flighty and finds it difficult to finish set goals, or they can be quite driven and rigid often seemingly borderline neurotic in their obsessions! For the flighty type of DPS, this player usually is a bit more flexible and friendly in person often sought for their fun and engaging personality. For the rigid, more inflexible DPS player we see a more deliberate, serious-minded player who tends to set goals and finish them. The inflexible DPS player might not be the most enjoyable personality type to group with, but their seriousness in the game can take these players to a whole different level performance-wise.

What about you guys? Have you noticed these trends, too?

And what of the many who play dual or all three roles?

There's no black and white here, and there are even exceptions as with all situations! Most people have a favored role, and this guide is based off that notion.

For instance, one of my pals he plays both tanks and DPS (no healers though.) I'd put him in the tank group because he favors his tanks over his DPS.

I played a combination of healers and dps and my personality lies in between the two (the serious minded dps) though I am a shy person with people I don't know but my friends and boyfriend would say my personality is more caring and thoughtful about others first.

Tanks tend to be leaders (positive) or controlling (negative). The role is problematic because they're the ones nominally in charge during group play.

Healers tend to be friendly (positive) or arrogant (negative). The role is problematic mainly because their role used to be indispensable during group play, so if they quit [or threatened to quit if x action wasn't taken] the FP was over, and then comps got buffed and healers weren't needed, and now that comps have been nerfed they kind of are again.

DPS tend to be laidback (positive) or antisocial (negative). The role is problematic because dps are a dime a dozen, which can create feelings of inferiority, plus we all know the horror stories of bad dpsers in FPs.

Even for players who play all three, there's certain types that you can make out. I like healing and tanking in pvp, but I'm very wary of it in fps and especially ops, because if I screw it up, the whole run gets screwed up. Whereas if I screw up as a dps, in most situations (exceptions: ToS, GftM) I can still get carried. I have vastly more dps than I do the other two because I don't like switching specs while leveling, and tanking and healing is very boring on solo.

Now how about personality types as they exist for specific classes. Maras, anyone?

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be a Meyers-Briggs sort of thing, in which I'm an INFJ. I can't really argue with the OP, I think those generalizations are pretty close.

In the game where I actually played group content I was a tank first and a healer second. I've never really been a terribly successful dps. I've always looked at DPS as being slightly crazy in that they seem to take risks. I'm not much of a risk-taker lol.

This looks like something strait out of a buzzfeed personality test "content" (which I despise), but I'll humor you.

I play all 3, and I've always been a Jack of All Trades which I trace back to my ADHD: I get bored easily, and want to do everything, all the time, at the same time. So naturally, I roll anything and everything.

DPS: My first two characters in this game were pure dps (slinger and sent) so I like to say I'm a dps main, but that's not really accurate if you delve into my hours-played-per-class. Though, I do take pride in being the offank on almost anything with my maras lol. Am I neurotic? Did I mention I have ADHD? I literally cannot just not do anything, makes me stressed. Multitasking keeps my head from blowing up believe it or not.

Healer: I like healing and tend to rotate what I mainheal on every expac, this is usually always the second role I level in MMOs. The profession I first trained to was social worker, I have first-aid training and army training. Indeed teaching, mending and defending your country would fit the definition of putting others ahead of yourself.

Tank: This is a weird description, since "right and wrong" are subjective, and every individual as well as every dogma has their own view on what is which. Hence I don't subscribe to this theory as is, though I certainly do hold personal values- my libertarian nature is forever open to learning from opposing veiws. I tank a lot, but I only really like Juggs as tank so my options are limited. But; I also have about triple the amount of juggs than I do sins or PTs, so make your own conclusions from whatever that might mean. Beaten path is not for me- I adapt. Party requests to go fast? Gotcha, I pull a lot at the same time and dont regen in between, i believe you can handle what you requested. Marauder pulls? No problem I jump after it and grab aggro best I can. Entire party afk at start? Fck it I'll blow all CDs to clear the entrance solo. My least favourite type of tank is the one who insist they must control everything at all times and have a hissyfit if someone cornerpulled for them before them.

Soo, the least accurate observation at-least in my case is the tank one.

Edited by Kiesu

I thought this was going to be a Meyers-Briggs sort of thing, in which I'm an INFJ. I can't really argue with the OP, I think those generalizations are pretty close.

In the game where I actually played group content I was a tank first and a healer second. I've never really been a terribly successful dps. I've always looked at DPS as being slightly crazy in that they seem to take risks. I'm not much of a risk-taker lol.

Fellow INFJ-T and I only DPS! Why? Combat is not the reason I play these games, I need it over as quick as possible so I can get to the good bits of story, choices, and shaping my PC's as people. LOL

Edited by JakRoanin

I am INFP-T according to the 16 personality types website which is based off of MBTI personality assessment. When i bought a book on Meyers-Briggs years ago, I don't remember this "A," and "T" on the ends of the 16 types. "A" is said to be for "Assertive" while "T" stands for "Turbulent."

I might have to read over what they have now seeing they have updated and added information. What's amazing is the actual real life story of the mother/daughter team that created the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator test.

I went through a really detailed book on the MBTI system and when I got done answering all the questions I got to my 4 letter personality type (1 out of 16) and read it's description and it blew me away! It was like reading a horoscope, only it wasn't inaccurate and total hogwash.

I found that MBTI book one of the most enlightening ones of my lifetime tbh, because it helped me understand myself better. This in turn actually helped me understand others better, too.

I strongly recommend anyone looking for some self-reflection and honest introspection check out the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator system online, there's tons of FREE tests such as this one here:

https://www.16personalities.com/

The test above takes about 10 minutes and is free, it also will ask to send you the results in an email but you can choose not to have that and it will still show you the results on the site where you did the test.

As an example:

I use the DPS Jugg (Vengeance Spec) , because it lets me freely switch from protecting to inflicting damage both in PvP and PVE. My top priority is splitting between Protecting and Damage, so I will very often Guard swap if there's no tank, use Scream (with the aoe protection utility), and Intervene while also doing as much damage as I can. Gear Wise I'm about 80 to 90% dps built, so that I can switch to Tank Spec as needed and I only use a Shield, as opposed to a focus.

Same goes for my dps shadows/assassins.

I've never had any interest in healing or full tank specs.

My personality type: Very Rational, Blunt at times, Humorous at times, Energetic at times, Caring at times, Cold at times, Withdrawn at times, Always respectful, Relaxed - Laid back, Honest and straightforward, Basically Grey; so I most often play Grey affinity characters.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

Fellow INFJ-T and I only DPS! Why? Combat is not the reason I play these games, I need it over as quick as possible so I can get to the good bits of story, choices, and shaping my PC's as people. LOL

Interesting! I'm a 'T' type as well. I guess there are other things that shape people as well. I like to hurry through the bits I don't like too, but just have a different way of doing that. :D

I am INFP-T according to the 16 personality types website which is based off of MBTI personality assessment. When i bought a book on Meyers-Briggs years ago, I don't remember this "A," and "T" on the ends of the 16 types. "A" is said to be for "Assertive" while "T" stands for "Turbulent."

I might have to read over what they have now seeing they have updated and added information. What's amazing is the actual real life story of the mother/daughter team that created the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator test.

I went through a really detailed book on the MBTI system and when I got done answering all the questions I got to my 4 letter personality type (1 out of 16) and read it's description and it blew me away! It was like reading a horoscope, only it wasn't inaccurate and total hogwash.

I found that MBTI book one of the most enlightening ones of my lifetime tbh, because it helped me understand myself better. This in turn actually helped me understand others better, too.

I strongly recommend anyone looking for some self-reflection and honest introspection check out the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator system online, there's tons of FREE tests such as this one here:

The test above takes about 10 minutes and is free, it also will ask to send you the results in an email but you can choose not to have that and it will still show you the results on the site where you did the test.

I didn't remember anything about the T and A types either, so I went through and did the quiz and it seems I'm an INFJ-T type.

I think the system is fascinating and pretty accurate. When I read my description it was pretty dead on. :)

As an example:

I use the DPS Jugg (Vengeance Spec) , because it lets me freely switch from protecting to inflicting damage both in PvP and PVE. My top priority is splitting between Protecting and Damage, so I will very often Guard swap if there's no tank, use Scream (with the aoe protection utility), and Intervene while also doing as much damage as I can. Gear Wise I'm about 80 to 90% dps built, so that I can switch to Tank Spec as needed and I only use a Shield, as opposed to a focus.

Same goes for my dps shadows/assassins.

I've never had any interest in healing or full tank specs.

Off topic: please don't do group content as a vigi guardian running a shield. If I wanted a tank, I'd ask for one, if I'm asking for dps or a dps with taunt, that's what I'm looking for.

If this setup is for solo content, I apologize and do whatever you want, however little sense it makes.

On topic: I'm an ISTJ-T according to that test, and I main tank guardians (and I do have a bit of a stubborn, sarcastic, and even judgemental side, I admit...)

Off topic: please don't do group content as a vigi guardian running a shield. If I wanted a tank, I'd ask for one, if I'm asking for dps or a dps with taunt, that's what I'm looking for.

If this setup is for solo content, I apologize and do whatever you want, however little sense it makes.

Off topic: No disrespect but:

- I've never grouped with you, and based on what you said, never will.

- I've never had any issues in PvP with my setup.

- I've never had any issues in group content with my setup

- See no reason to do what you say simply because, you said so.

- Yes, this is a solo setup.

• Like 1

Off topic: No disrespect but:

- I've never grouped with you, and based on what you said, never will.

- I've never had any issues in PvP with my setup.

- I've never had any issues in group content with my setup

- See no reason to do what you say simply because, you said so.

- Yes, this is a solo setup.

You've never had any issues with it in group content and yet it's a solo set up? Those very statements are contradictory. Please help the rest of us who don't enjoy enraging annhilator story mode, and put on a focus and pure dps stats to do group content.

I believe that in many cases what class role in a game can represent the type of personality-type a player has. Here are some of my observations over many years of playing MMOs.

Healers - These players are empathetic, caring, always putting others ahead of themselves. These people prefer to think before they act. These players tend to be open-minded, often getting along with all types of people though most of the time they don't go seeking out others, instead others tend to seek them out for their insight or just for a shoulder to lean on.

Tanks - These players usually have a strong sense of what is right and wrong. They stick to their personal moral codes, and those who share their way of thoughts can become best friends of these strong willed, often times not-so-flexible personality types. Tank players tend to like a sense of order, things ought to go a certain way and straying off sensible, known beaten paths can sometimes prove very difficult for tank players. Sometimes loyalty can get in the way of logical thinking with these players, but any time you happen to befriend a tank you can guarantee you have a friend for life.

Damage (DPS) - These players are a bit more varied than their other two counterparts! Either the DPS player tends to be flighty and finds it difficult to finish set goals, or they can be quite driven and rigid often seemingly borderline neurotic in their obsessions! For the flighty type of DPS, this player usually is a bit more flexible and friendly in person often sought for their fun and engaging personality. For the rigid, more inflexible DPS player we see a more deliberate, serious-minded player who tends to set goals and finish them. The inflexible DPS player might not be the most enjoyable personality type to group with, but their seriousness in the game can take these players to a whole different level performance-wise.

What if you play all 3?

I got this... not sure what that means for me.

Protagonist

ENFJ-T

“ Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians, our coaches and our teachers, reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world. With a natural confidence that begets influence, Protagonists take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community”

According to the website :

“Protagonists You May Know

Sean Connery

Jennifer Lawrence

Character Protagonists

Daenery Targaryen (Game of Thrones)

Morpheus (The Matrix)

The Oracle (The Matrix)

Laurel Lance (Arrow)”

I guess I have some new character names to use :D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I play all 3

I'm "Assertive Logician", INTP-A . The very first paragraph in the analysis says only 3% of the population is a logician. Make of that what you will, lol.

Got a chance to read this yesterday and didn't have time to respond. Your assessment is more than fair and from my experience, fairly accurate. Personally, it's an innate trait that I have to help people in real life, which is probably why I'm a very good healer. In regards to tanking, I have to be in the mood or it doesn't interest me. I'm a good tank, but a better healer. DPS, I'll put it simply, I put all my comps on DPS regardless, if I can't kill it quick enough, then I'm doing something wrong. Of course there are those exceptions where you have no choice but to use a healer, but it's not commonplace.

Interesting! I'm a 'T' type as well. I guess there are other things that shape people as well. I like to hurry through the bits I don't like too, but just have a different way of doing that. :D

I didn't remember anything about the T and A types either, so I went through and did the quiz and it seems I'm an INFJ-T type.

I think the system is fascinating and pretty accurate. When I read my description it was pretty dead on. :)

Well that's why even if people are the same type we're still individuals. But I love DPS because it's quick. Even in other games like Star Trek Online my MO is get the combat over with so I can get to the "good stuff" I guess this is why I'm a strictly "story" type player. I want to explore and do character stuff. :D

Well that's why even if people are the same type we're still individuals. But I love DPS because it's quick. Even in other games like Star Trek Online my MO is get the combat over with so I can get to the "good stuff" I guess this is why I'm a strictly "story" type player. I want to explore and do character stuff. :D

Our methods might differ, but our goals are the same :D

Interesting test, I just took it and for an internet one its surprisingly accurate. Result was INFJ-A/INFJ-T.