Bioware please make weekly polls

Ayelinna

Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that and gives us some background on BW's stance. Makes sense :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Thats what a poll is for, to see what the players want. I would assume that people who play the game and also use the forums are more active than people who dont care about anything and just play the game and never use the forums...

So basically we have no say in what goes in the game?

Edited by Ayelinna

Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

-eric

So I understand the first reason. A poll can't guarantee something happening.

However, For the forum reason. What about some sort of in game polling system. (Aion does something like this) with a reward for doing it. Keeping the polls simple (this would also not disclose the results to anyone except you)

No, he's saying that if they poll you, don't expect it to be a guaranteed feature by the next patch.

So it why would they make a poll if they have no 100% intention to make what the best choice was?

Thats the reason I made this thread, I wanted Bioware to make polls and whatever got the best votes was a guaranteed feature at some point.

Edited by Ayelinna

Thats what a poll is for, to see what the players want. I would assume that people who play the game and also use the forums are more active than people who dont care about anything and just play the game and never use the forums...

He didn't say that. He said polls on the forum would likely represent less than 5% of everyone playing the game and is more of a gauge than a guarantee. This is why there are Suggestion forums. Polls are just not conclusive enough, and everyone would assume the winning vote would actually get into the game. Like I said in my first post... slippery slope.

Oh just give it up. If they don't want that form of feedback they don't want that form of feedback. It's obvious they read these forums on a pretty regular basis, even your posts.

Edited by Inflicktion

So I understand the first reason. A poll can't guarantee something happening.

However, For the forum reason. What about some sort of in game polling system. (Aion does something like this) with a reward for doing it. Keeping the polls simple (this would also not disclose the results to anyone except you)

Nah, ingame polls don't work. People will click all A's just to get to the game. They usually keep their polls on Facebook or Tumblr. Places where people eventually go when they are bored, therefore they have time to read and answer polls more thoroughly.

Polls are just not conclusive enough, and everyone would assume the winning vote would actually get into the game.

If I was Bioware, I would make a poll...and whatever the best vote was...I would put in the game for my players.

Suppose an overwhelming majority, say 80%, of people on forums vote for Togruta. That's still only 4% of the player base. Now suppose that Bioware has some additional means to gather statistics and determines that 40% of the total playerbase would rather like to see Nautolan. Then they implement Nautolan and 80% of the people on the forums are angry because "they weren't listened to".

You want to find out what subscribers want?

Instead of question of the day, make polls about what your paying customers want.

For example:

What playable species would you like to see next?

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Seriously Bioware make a weekly poll with a few questions, or even one, find out what your subscribers want. Such a simple thing like polls can make so much difference, it gives the chance for you to see numbers, for the community to vote, and will improve your relationship with your subscribers, knowing that they are given the option to choose the future of this game...

This is a bad idea.

Why?

1) Because polls provide them no information they do not already have. Therefore, they are a waste of resources.

2) Accurate polling requires an actual process, and clear design for the target. Open polling in a gaming forum does not provide accurate polling data that a game company can use to steer their game design.

That said.. I personally like the polling feature in forums as it separates the hyperbole from the genuine broad opinion. Hence, while I would like polling.. you would not like what it tells you Ayelinna. Why? Because forum polls work on one member = one vote. So you don't get to keep voting.. and that goes against your personal style, IMO. :)

Edited by Andryah

Suppose an overwhelming majority, say 80%, of people on forums vote for Togruta. That's still only 4% of the player base. Now suppose that Bioware has some additional means to gather statistics and determines that 40% of the total playerbase would rather like to see Nautolan. Then they implement Nautolan and 80% of the people on the forums are angry because "they weren't listened to".

Hmm good point.

So it why would they make a poll if they have no 100% intention to make what the best choice was?

Thats the reason I made this thread, I wanted Bioware to make polls and whatever got the best votes was a guaranteed feature at some point.

Because only a small percentage of the players come here. An ingame vote would be rushed through and honestly, Design by democracy usually results in a dead game because the playerbase has zero clue what they want, only that they want it now.

Too many variables to ensure a steady game.

No more than anyone else playing is what he's saying. Which makes sense.

Possibly in part because 50% of the 5% lack any semblance of emotional maturity, and would just use it as another source for moronic slap in the face threads.

Nah, ingame polls don't work. People will click all A's just to get to the game. They usually keep their polls on Facebook or Tumblr. Places where people eventually go when they are bored, therefore they have time to read and answer polls more thoroughly.

Yeah for that reason a pop-up when you log into the launcher would be best, and the announcement message could be changed to tell everyone that opens the launcher about the poll. That way lazy people couldn't skew results or cry because nobody valued their input. There are plenty of ways to accurately poll more than 5% of the population, Eric was just opening himself to ridicule with that line. Still, that is irrelevant if BW doesn't want to deal with the other nonsense that comes with polling.

Ok...now replace Party Jawa with "Example Species 1" ....and you have my point.

Let subscribers choose which one they get free, and put the others on the market or whatever. Just something to reward subscribers.

Edited by Ayelinna

If I was Bioware, I would make a poll...and whatever the best vote was...I would put in the game for my players.

Any then your MMO would crash and burn in a veritable nova of flying mounts, bikinis, rainbow coloured lightsabers and playable Jawas.

You can't let on line polls dictate what you put into a game. Companies look into what the playerbase wants based on behaviour and statistics, not "lel let's vote Hordor in as nezt platerble race lololol".

Yeah for that reason a pop-up when you log into the launcher would be best, and the announcement message could be changed to tell everyone that opens the launcher about the poll. That way lazy people couldn't skew results or cry because nobody valued their input. There are plenty of ways to accurately poll more than 5% of the population, Eric was just opening himself to ridicule with that line. Still, that is irrelevant if BW doesn't want to deal with the other nonsense that comes with polling.

I don't think anyone actually reads the launcher unless it's a patch day. Most time I just tap enter as soon as the PLAY button lights up.

Plus, knowing this community, do you really think adding a pop up is going to stop the inevitable cries of recounts and misvote?

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly.

The good old vocal minority. People think just because 10-15 people post something in a couple of threads that there is some sort of consensus on an issue.

Ok...now replace Party Jawa with "Example Species 1" ....and you have my point.

Let subscribers choose which one they get free, and put the others on the market or whatever. Just something to reward subscribers.

That infers that Free players and Preferreds are not allowed to vote, or that whatever they do vote for will be closed off to them once it goes live, which will result in major QQ.

That infers that Free players and Preferreds are not allowed to vote, or that whatever they do vote for will be closed off to them once it goes live, which will result in major QQ.

They have an in-game polling option - they utilized it VERY heavily during beta.

Hey folks,

-eric

I agree polls can be somewhat misleading due to the smaller amount of users posting compared to those in the game.

However, James Ohlen was pretty good about feedback, as he always sent Stephen Reid to the forums asking for feedback from players on a variety of topics.

Just look up Stephen Reid's "Threads started by" and you will see tons of feedback requests. THIS is what got players involved and talking to others in-game, which in turn got a few of those peeps to come to the forums. Sadly, we don't see that anymore, cause the care-meter needle is sitting at 0.

They have an in-game polling option - they utilized it VERY heavily during beta.

I remember. I answer all the questions "Very Satisfied" just so I could log out and swap characters. And I know I was not the only one.

Ingame polls are bad. Social media polling MIGHT work better, since nearly everyone is either on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Google+ or whatever new social media site the internet chooses to launch. It reaches all the players eventually, and it might reach the players who quit. But, again, results can still be iffy. Troll answers and that sort. Gotta be very careful how to keep the results serious otherwise we end up with a whooping 69% of the vote for the next playable species being "Your Mom".

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

Players taking polls as an indication of something definitely happening is better than your team consistently making bad choices that result is even greater backlash. This would be a much better game if you guys actually took our opinions- the people who are paying you to add new content- into consideration before deciding what you're going to add next.

That aside, use in-game polls. That way, people are very likely to vote. Sure, it may take some time to implement, but if it means you start listening to our feedback I personally wouldn't mind the delay.