Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Bug] GSF is broken again: weapons are deselected on many ships.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Bug Reports
[Bug] GSF is broken again: weapons are deselected on many ships.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DakhathKilrathi
08.26.2015 , 07:13 PM | #21
Can we get some kind of update on this?

MiaowZedong
08.28.2015 , 05:44 PM | #22
Another week. Really bad bug still here.

DakhathKilrathi
08.31.2015 , 10:55 AM | #23
Going on two weeks now. This isn't okay. I subscribe primarily for GSF.

ALaggyGrunt
09.02.2015 , 01:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
Says little good about how this game is coded that it's this fragile, with the same things repeatedly "breaking" over time.
What's really sad is we gave it admin privileges on our computers.

DakhathKilrathi
09.02.2015 , 01:01 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
What's really sad is we gave it admin privileges on our computers.
No, what's sad is that you pay for something where a major, game breaking bug is allowed to exist without a patch for weeks at a time with no updates beyond the initial "yeah we know about this" from the devs.

C'mon, can we get an update here? If it's not going to be patched anytime soon, at least let us know. I understand that GSF is not a major part of the game, and as such it isn't going to see a lot of attention. That's fine.

Just let us know what to expect. Is that asking too much?

ALaggyGrunt
09.02.2015 , 02:48 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
No, what's sad is that you pay for something where a major, game breaking bug is allowed to exist without a patch for weeks at a time with no updates beyond the initial "yeah we know about this" from the devs.

C'mon, can we get an update here? If it's not going to be patched anytime soon, at least let us know. I understand that GSF is not a major part of the game, and as such it isn't going to see a lot of attention. That's fine.

What messy code lets people do to your computer.
Admin privileges mean the only limit to what a hacker can do to your computer with the right SWTOR bug is imagination. Steal all your passwords? Ransom the contents of everyone's My Documents folder? Might want to look through there and ask yourself: Which of these could I replace if I lost them (hint: none of your pictures, and whatever you were working on for work), and which of these could seriously hurt me if they found themselves in the wrong hands (hint: tax returns, credit card numbers, maybe pictures)? This way of thinking is paranoid, but very important if you want to avoid catastrophe. It's extremely unlikely to happen today, but unthinkable if it ever does.
--
Normally you'd mitigate an attack through a program with network access by running it as a standard user account with access to only enough privileges to run the program. That way, anything wanting everything on your computer would have to break the program first (that fragile code), and User Account Control second. If you're paranoid, you run it in a virtual machine, which is a real pain to get of.

SWTOR doesn't let you run it as a low-level user, period: it will have run as admin or refuse to run outright.

It probably wouldn't like you to do the second, either, because virtual machines sometimes mean debuggers, which mean hackers trying to figure out how to hack the game. If they're afraid of that, the game is put together badly enough for EA/Bioware to be afraid of someone with a debugger.

Oh, I forgot, the third option: run the game on a separate physical machine, and have your network treat it like a probable threat at all times. There are ways around that one too, but it's rare enough for people to do that with a game that you're very safe doing that.

DakhathKilrathi
09.02.2015 , 04:01 PM | #27
Spoiler

Can we stop being off topic now?

To the Community Team, quoting my previous post:
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post

Iliac
09.02.2015 , 07:44 PM | #28
This is really getting frustrating. I was missing components on ships for 2 different toons today. Sure would be nice to see a fix for something that can be as game breaking as this is.
"We live in a country that guarantees your free speech,
but it's not a country that guarantees anything you say is correct"
-Neil DeGrass Tyson

gunteroc
09.07.2015 , 06:39 AM | #29
Please tell me when will you repair GS !

GS is bug since 3 weeks now ! and as always no communication from Bioware !

ALaggyGrunt
09.08.2015 , 12:31 AM | #30
I was in a match once where literally none of my ships had primary weapons.