Fix Darth Malgus knockback mechanic

Currently for the TFE flashpoint, he has a ton of cool gimmicks that are fun to play, except when you have him low on health.

He then goes invulnerable and does not stop spraying lightning at random party members. The only way to kill him is to physically drag him like with the commando's grapple ability or interrupt with a knockback ability over to a ledge, then two party members need to stagger their knockbacks within 5-10 seconds or so in order for him to be actually knocked back. He is otherwise completely immune to damage.

This is fine if you have two jedi in your group, but we had me (a sage), two smugglers and a trooper. I can knock back every 20 seconds, but everyone else either has a pull on a very long cooldown or has a kick knockback on a 2 minute cooldown.

You're assuming (perhaps in some instances rightly so) that the group is going to have two jedis or more in the instance that can do fast knockbacks.

Please change this mechanic to only needing one knockback. Keep the mechanic like it is with needing him to go to the ledge, but just one knockback should be required to knock him physically off the cliff.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your trooper had a knockback on a 30-second cooldown. Additionally, if he is a commando and specced right, the trooper can win the fight for you by himself since he would have two knockbacks.

There is nothing wrong with the fight. Make sure you bring two knockbacks. It's pretty simple to position the boss where you can knock him off the ledge in one try before he gets low and goes invulnerable. From that point, you just need to time your two knockbacks together. Not a difficult mechanic at all.

i agree with this, did this tonight (was only on normal mode but still) and we sat there for 10 minutes with him at 30k health because he wouldnt respond to 2 knockbacks in a row (we had me as operative, another op, sorcerer, and jugg) and he wouldnt budge. we finally got him to go over the ledge but the whole time i was thinking that there is no way a group is gonna do this if they dont have 2 classes with knockbacks.

We knock him down with 2 sorcerers (sages) about 3-5 seconds after he starts channeling every time we kill him. It's all about actually moving him to a proper spot before you start, and it will be no problem no matter what classes you bring. Edited by Jigglypants

How many advanced classes do not get a knockback? Do any of you posting this garbage even know? I can tell you right now that commando/mercenary has one on a 30-second cooldown and all inquisitors/sages have one on a 20-second cooldown.

At least 50% of ACs have one. True story.

The mechanic is clever and interesting. You are complaining because you did not bring the proper group composition and did not coordinate correctly to knock him off quickly. It is not a difficult mechanic at all to master. Think about and stop expecting every fight to be tank and spank faceroll.

Edited by Auilt

We knock him down with 2 sorcerers (sages) about 3-5 seconds after he starts channeling every time we kill him. It's all about actually moving him to a proper spot before you start, and it will be no problem no matter what classes you bring.

Yes, you both have a force stomp that would make it easy. My comp did not.

Composition for a flashpoint should not matters as long as you have H/T/D/D

Also, I meant the person tanking was a vanguard, not commando.

There is a simple solution to this mechanic. When Malgus has about 10% health left have the tank walk down the steps the middle of the catwalk walkways near the ledges. Then, you kill Malgus with all your dps and healers situated behind Malgus. And then when Malgus starts his phase, you have 1 person with a knockback stand beside Malgus and use it.

It only takes 1 knockback to kill Malgus if he's standing near a ledge to begin with. Its really not a big deal. You just have to adapt your tactics to match the resources you have available to you, and not the resources you wish you had available to you.

I have done the instance twice. I find this a problem too.

The problem for me is that the rest of the instance is easy, both groups did fine and we did not wipe up until Malgus. And Malgus is piss easy up until the knockback phase, with the first group we eventually made it, but everyone agreed on that it was a **** mechanic, especially considering the phase prior to that is just tank and spank, you do not even have to kite him during the "face him alone" phase.

With the second group we only had one knockback that seemed to work, an assassin tank, we knocked him over many times to the ground but no other knockback seemed to have an effect. Tried about 10 times, with about 2 successful knockbacks each try. We eventually gave up, having spent about as long on malgus as the rest of the instance combined and agreed on that it was a **** fight.

It is really frustrating to not beeing able to finish because of a mechanic like this, that seems to rely more on luck or the right class combination rather anything else.

not even a problem worth mentioning and no, it shouldnt be a simple case of H/T/D/D. You know the mechanic, so take a group which will allow you to beat it. if you didn't and its your first run through, i feel for you but unlucky, if you knew and went anyway, well failure rewards stupidity.

I like it, its a fitting end considering Malgus is epic and i have no doubt we'll see him again. especially if revan keeps making an appearance, oh and HK47 which i am severely bored of now.

not even a problem worth mentioning and no, it shouldnt be a simple case of H/T/D/D. You know the mechanic, so take a group which will allow you to beat it. if you didn't and its your first run through, i feel for you but unlucky, if you knew and went anyway, well failure rewards stupidity.

I like it, its a fitting end considering Malgus is epic and i have no doubt we'll see him again. especially if revan keeps making an appearance, oh and HK47 which i am severely bored of now.

Since the rest of the instance, and the malgus fight prior to the knockback is a simple case of H/T/D/D, I do think that actually finishing him of should be doable with any group combination. He can still be thrown down, but it should be doable by all classes. If you are after harder fights or something I would not mind the rest of the fight beeing alot harder, because it is a joke as it is now.

Around 15%, you need to drag him to the ledge and position him carefully so in case if Malgus does a knockback, you don't get knock off the ledge.

Around 10%, Malgus channels chain lighting, you can only do the knockback when he is channeling as he is only susceptible to knockback when he is channeling.

Here is a video of our fight on Malgus in hardmode.

Around 10%, Malgus channels chain lighting, you can only do the knockback when he is channeling as he is only susceptible to knockback when he is channeling.

It's not about how you do it, but about that you can't do it with "some" setups.

Vanguards/Powertech, Sentinels/Marauder, Operative/Scoundrel, Gunslinger/Sniper do not have knockbacks. That are half of all classes.

That's stupid.

You only need one knockback, even in hardmode.

At around 12% your tank needs to drag him near the edge. He begins channeling his lightning at 10% on the dot. Simply knock him off at this point, not before, not after, and you win.

He's the easiest boss in that instance on hardmode by far. Easier even than the trash.

As for some class comps not having a knockback: about half of the players in this game are consulars/inquisitors. My server is literally infested with them, and they ALL have a base ability knockback. Just grab one of the 800 or so spamming LFG and deal with it.

Edited by Farabee

There is a simple solution to this mechanic. When Malgus has about 10% health left have the tank walk down the steps the middle of the catwalk walkways near the ledges. Then, you kill Malgus with all your dps and healers situated behind Malgus. And then when Malgus starts his phase, you have 1 person with a knockback stand beside Malgus and use it.

It only takes 1 knockback to kill Malgus if he's standing near a ledge to begin with. Its really not a big deal. You just have to adapt your tactics to match the resources you have available to you, and not the resources you wish you had available to you.

Couldn't be more wrong.

FYI, closing abilities like Force Pull and Grapple/Harpoon count as a knockback. And guess what, all tanks have an ability like that. So have one knockback DPS run down to the ledge with the tank, have the tank grapple Malgus to the edge, then punt him off. It's not a difficult mechanic, and it's doable with any given composition of flashpoint, it just requires some coordination rather than "immah spam knockbacks and see what happens."

not even a problem worth mentioning and no, it shouldnt be a simple case of H/T/D/D. You know the mechanic, so take a group which will allow you to beat it. if you didn't and its your first run through, i feel for you but unlucky

No.

Bring the player not the class, to use a WoW phrase. As long as you aren't running all dps, everyone should be able to tackle a boss in a non-infuriating way.

No, the only thing you can do while he's casting is interrupt via a knockback. THEN a short time after one person does a knockback (you only have one per person) another person has to do a knockback and THAT knockback actually works.

Also you will have to kite him over to the walkway beforehand, as he will literally stand in one place even if you're across the fusk!ng room, so if you didn't do that, or have a person with a pull or stagger knockbacks, he is immovable and invulnerable.

You only need one knockback, even in hardmode.

At around 12% your tank needs to drag him near the edge. He begins channeling his lightning at 10% on the dot. Simply knock him off at this point, not before, not after, and you win.

He's the easiest boss in that instance on hardmode by far. Easier even than the trash.

As for some class comps not having a knockback: about half of the players in this game are consulars/inquisitors. My server is literally infested with them, and they ALL have a base ability knockback. Just grab one of the 800 or so spamming LFG and deal with it.

"Half the classes in the game are one class, deal with it"

Nice misdirection to the issue at hand.

"Half the classes in the game are one class, deal with it"

Nice misdirection to the issue at hand.

It's still a non issue. As others have pointed out even non-knockback abilities like Grappling Hook and Force Pull will remove the knockback-immunity, at which point you just use a legit knockback and you're done.

It's really the easiest HM fight there is, no enrage timer means you can beat him in greens. Just use your brain when putting the group together. If you want to argue class comp, how about bringing a Juggernaut tank to Revan with no stackable force-reduction cooldowns to eat the instagib Force Lightning.

This couldn't be more true.

Actually it couldn't be more false. You expect to be able to do any content with any composition you feel like doing it as long as you have H/T/D/D? That is horrible and severely limiting to encounter design. The encounter is fine. Plan accordingly.

Yes, you both have a force stomp that would make it easy. My comp did not.

Composition for a flashpoint should not matters as long as you have H/T/D/D

Also, I meant the person tanking was a vanguard, not commando.

Who's fault is it that you did not have the right composition. You knew beforehand what it took to kill him, yet you brought a composition that couldn't accomplish it. Then you come to the forums and complain that you brought a group composition that you knew could not accxomplish the fight. Whose fault is that, the devs.....or more likely yours for not having a proper group composition. Part of making a successful group is understanding the mechanics of the flashpoint you want to do and bringing the right composition based on that. This fight does not need to be changed. I love the way it is designed.

No.

Bring the player not the class, to use a WoW phrase. As long as you aren't running all dps, everyone should be able to tackle a boss in a non-infuriating way.

No, the only thing you can do while he's casting is interrupt via a knockback. THEN a short time after one person does a knockback (you only have one per person) another person has to do a knockback and THAT knockback actually works.

Also you will have to kite him over to the walkway beforehand, as he will literally stand in one place even if you're across the fusk!ng room, so if you didn't do that, or have a person with a pull or stagger knockbacks, he is immovable and invulnerable.

Or imagine this monumental concept, you actually line of sight his lightning to get him to move. Stop whining that you brought the wrong composition to do a fight. That is nobody's fault except your own.

I have personally enjoyed the interesting encounters in this game. Please don't dumb them down the way WoW has dumbed down instances. This game has flashpoints with boss encounters you don't normally see outside of operations. Take the mentor encounter in Directive 7. Now people come upon a fight that isn't just omgroflrollover and complain that they can't do it with every single group composition imaginable.

I love that some people assume everybody just PUGs these things and can simply grab an Inquisitor. I have three friends that I run with all the time (Powertech, Marauder, Assassin, and myself - Operative) and we're not interested in splitting up. We got him down last night, but it was a headache. Just because Sages and Sorcerers are flavor of the month doesn't mean BioWare should be designing encounters around them.

ok, here is a little info for all you people complaining about this already, and saying ANY H/T/D/D combo should be able to do this.....GET IT OUT of your mind now that this game should be so cookie cutter, if you want all things to be fair and square and combo works, go back to wow. We do not want your cookie cutter and addons and all that other trash here.

USE your heads and figure it out, if you are the group leader and you put a group together thats determined to fail, it's your fault, not BW's. There is a long walkway with a nice visable line on it before the steps, you know, the one you want to knock him off of...well here's you hint, tank him on the line, have all standing on the line, IN LINE, so that when one gets knocked back, you go to the stairs or back the oposite direction, not off the edge. If you do this, omg wait, HE IS ALREADY WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE when you need to knock him off. you just have to execute two boots and you win. If that is too difficult for you to execute, go back to pokemon or wherever you came from.