Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if Staggering happened at Dec 20?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What if Staggering happened at Dec 20?

Rytineo
12.13.2011 , 05:28 PM | #1
I hear some yelling at people here to stop whining because they don't have to give Early Access to us. However, think about it for a minute. If we had no Early Access then these Staggering players in waves will happen during Dec 20 at the offical launch?! Can you imagine the bad PR BW/EA would get. Don't you think these Early Access is not a gift to us, but a tool to ease in the customers before Dec 20.

Come on just think about it. Without Early Access which some think we don't need, would letting in 2+ million players on Dec 20 be in their best interest? Because we keep hear that stagger is to avoid server problems.

If you think people are complaining now about not getting to play. Imagine if the actual starting date to play for all was Dec 20 and we had to be staggered in like cattle.

Rytineo
12.13.2011 , 05:36 PM | #2
Also, if we have to wait getting staggered in while our Free month is ticking away. You think people would be happy campers just waiting thier turn to play. I doubt it highly.

Cordarn
12.13.2011 , 05:38 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rytineo View Post
I hear some yelling at people here to stop whining because they don't have to give Early Access to us. However, think about it for a minute. If we had no Early Access then these Staggering players in waves will happen during Dec 20 at the offical launch?! Can you imagine the bad PR BW/EA would get. Don't you think these Early Access is not a gift to us, but a tool to ease in the customers before Dec 20.

Come on just think about it. Without Early Access which some think we don't need, would letting in 2+ million players on Dec 20 be in their best interest? Because we keep hear that stagger is to avoid server problems.

If you think people are complaining now about not getting to play. Imagine if the actual starting date to play for all was Dec 20 and we had to be staggered in like cattle.
That makes sense.
What do you mean they shot a torpedo into the core?!?

Rohvan
12.13.2011 , 05:39 PM | #4
I'm thinking the forums would look exactly the same with the following change...

Remove RED and add GREEN.

Failed launch!
I can't download this!
I'm unable to log in!
Way to fail Bioware!
My friend is playing but I'm not!
The game hasn't launched yet!
People are exploiting!
Look at all the elitists!
SWTOR can't beat wow!
Why launch didn't fail!
Bioware launched too soon!
Nooooooooooooo!
5 things I would have done different!
Dear Bioware!
"But how am I to know the good side from the bad?"
"You will know when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

myrmexaw
12.13.2011 , 05:40 PM | #5
the 20th will probably be fine , the QQ will start coming the 24th when everyone will be playing their first swtor weekend.

Pyrolight
12.13.2011 , 05:42 PM | #6
Lol the game would die a fast death.

People need to understand what Early Access is all about and just take a breath.

The one issue atm is the number of servers potential up vs players invited. I am thinking of people reserving names across multiple servers. This could be another issue that might turn out to be larger then they expect.

Theonething
12.13.2011 , 05:43 PM | #7
or well still have huge server queues on the 20th and people will still be pissed
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀[]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓) Glow Sticks

Daraina
12.13.2011 , 05:44 PM | #8
We all signed up knowing that would would get up to five days of free play. The key words being "up to." I don't really understand what people are complaining about. It's exactly as you say. If I bought this game on the release date but was told I'd have to wait up to five days before I could play what I'd paid for then I'd be pretty annoyed.

I think the whole idea of early access is not just so we can play early but rather to limit the amount of people right at the start and then add more over time so it doesn't get too congested. I would not enjoy playing very much if I was fighting 200 other people over kills in the same area while doing the same quest.

RylanStorm
12.13.2011 , 05:49 PM | #9
What we'd get is what pretty much every MMO launch has had so far.

11:00am - Game is released.
11:01am - login servers are unavailable. All servers are pretty much empty.
11:05am - login servers crash.
11:15am - next wave of people get through the login server newly restarted. They say hi to people on the servers who were oblivious to an issue.
11:20am - login servers crash again.
11:45am - the login servers have crashed repeatedly but people are getting online slowly but surely. Sheer weight of numbers causes a server crash.
17:00pm - most people have given up and will come back the next day. This releives pressure on the login server and the game servers. Players manage to login, albeit with a queue.
20:00pm - the starting zones are so overcrowded that "kill 10 bats" is a 3 hour long ordeal resulting in name calling for killing bats.

The following day;

After repeated crashes and much frustration people are managing to play. Gaming websites report the horrible launch. Thousands of customers are put off buying the game.

I've been there for each and every one and the story is almost always the same. Bioware said simply....enough. Lets try it another way. By the time you get in on the 20th, some users will be higher level and you'll be glad of it.
Begun the early access wars have.

DervimNorth
12.13.2011 , 05:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rytineo View Post

I'm afraid you've lost the majority of readers when you asked them to think.