Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if Staggering happened at Dec 20?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What if Staggering happened at Dec 20?

bayachay
12.13.2011 , 05:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Rytineo View Post
Imagine if the actual starting date to play for all was Dec 20 and we had to be staggered in like cattle.
This is more practical if the Dec 20th part is replaced with 13th. What happened here is instead of making everyone angry waiting in line, they just made people who pre-ordered angry for waiting in line.

One is excusable for doing the right thing at the right time but unable to avoid hardware limitations. The other is intention "trickle" to alleviate a known phenomenon, while causing unintentional frustration.

When it comes down to it its just a matter of principle vs bussiness sense.

bobudo
12.13.2011 , 06:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by RylanStorm View Post
. Bioware said simply....enough. Lets try another way.
Except that "other way" is clearly not working as intended.

Bioware is doing this in wave such as to avoid fans pissed about server stability and queuing.

This likely would not have affected a majority of players, given the games proven ability to handle massive loads of players (remember the Thanksgiving tests - they went VERY well).

Instead Bioware has pissed off the vast majority of their fans - they've not only caused the very thing they to avoid, they've caused it on a grander scale.

And before you go off accusing those of us who are pissed of acting like petulant and impatient children, the solution to this is SIMPLE.

Tell us when we'll be getting in.

People can't stand the uncertainty. That's all. We've waited and waited and hate being left dangling in the wind. I get that they want to have the ability to be flexible - but by giving us a fixed time, they'd only risk pissing-off the few who didn't get their target date.

You can defend Bioware all you want, but they have and continue to mishandle this. It's not cause to cancel the game or call it a failure, but it does leave questions about their ability to manage the expectations of the community going forward.

Kento-Solo
12.13.2011 , 06:03 PM | #13
If i staggering launch happened on the 20th, then ppl would have a more valid reason to complain about not playing, due it then ticking down there prepaid time.
I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe

Loxius
12.13.2011 , 06:06 PM | #14
Respect your points and understand your frustrations.

That said, I think to say that a majority of player base is angry would be incorrect. I see a vocal number on the forums, but forums never represent the whole community.

This is a better launch than many MMO's I have seen.

That said, it would be nice to have a fixed, assigned date, but before we all freak out, let us see what tomorrow brings. There is every possibility they will do a lot more waves tomorrow, and this will be a good thing if most of us get in.

I think Bioware is acting in good faith, and using twitter, facebook, etc to communicate. They have tried to mitigate messy launches, and are working their plan. I am ok with that.

For now. But realize they started 2 days before they promised you anyway, so as of right now, you are ahead of the curve. Don't you see that? If you still are not in by Friday, you will hear quite a different tone from me.

But hang in there. I see Bioware trying to do the right thing. It's not a failure yet. Let's see how this goes over the next day or 2.

Potsworth
12.13.2011 , 06:08 PM | #15
I'll admit, I'm frustrated at not being able to get in yet, but I understand that.

I pre-ordered and was told it was an 'up to' 5 days early access (That I didn't realise at the time, I just had to make sure my copy was ordered (Which I did on the 23rd of July from play.com))

On the 7th of Dec a friend told me I could DL the client and had to enter my pre-order code. But I hadn't recieved a code? (And nothing saying I had to have one) - So I called play.com, and got a code within 10 mins. (And entered it)

Then when I had the client on my box, I was buzzing, and couldn't wait to play it! And when I heard that e-mails were going to be sent out today I got excited and made sure I got out of work as early as possible. (I'd already booked off the 19/20/21 of Dec just to get on this for when I was sure to have it) - I'll admit, I hadn't been on the forums or anything, I was trying to keep away so I wasn't getting myself over excited.

Now for me, I live in the UK, so Early Access was going to be open at 12 o'clock, lunchtime. I was like a 7 year old kid at Christmas (I've been a huge SW fan as long as I can remember, love MMO's, and have always wanted a proper SW one), but no e-mail at 12. So I started to read up on what was being said. And it made sense. I work in the internet industry, and I know about capacity issues, load, and so on, so the wave thing made sense too. It's the smoothest way of getting us all in whilst keeping things stable - The issue I feel is that the communication to us users on when we're going to be in hasn't been the best, and I know there are some people asking (If there are X users, and you're doing Y users per wave, then when is my wave?) - You ask a valid question, but the people controlling access have a lot of variables that are probably changing all of the time.

I'm sure people will want to pick holes n this or troll it, but that's just my thoughts, I'm as eager to get into the game as you all, but patience my young Padawans.

May the Force be with you.

xBuzz
12.13.2011 , 06:09 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Rytineo View Post
I hear some yelling at people here to stop whining because they don't have to give Early Access to us. However, think about it for a minute. If we had no Early Access then these Staggering players in waves will happen during Dec 20 at the offical launch?! Can you imagine the bad PR BW/EA would get. Don't you think these Early Access is not a gift to us, but a tool to ease in the customers before Dec 20.

Come on just think about it. Without Early Access which some think we don't need, would letting in 2+ million players on Dec 20 be in their best interest? Because we keep hear that stagger is to avoid server problems.

If you think people are complaining now about not getting to play. Imagine if the actual starting date to play for all was Dec 20 and we had to be staggered in like cattle.
What makes you think they won't have to stagger the game when the servers come back online on the 20th (theyre taking down servers in the 19th).

Will the servers miraculously be good enough to hold the influx of players logging back in?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

RylanStorm
12.13.2011 , 06:09 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by bobudo View Post
Instead Bioware has pissed off the vast majority of their fans -.
Go have a look at all the people complaining. Put their names in a spreadsheet. If you get past 1,000 Id be amazed. Its the same vocal minority posting over and over and over again.

I'm not in the game yet. I'm one of the last pre-orders because I was starting a new job in July and I pre-ordered but never read the e-mail with the code. I registered finally about a week ago so will perhaps be one of the last in.

And yet still I benefit because the starting area will be less crowded, the major feck ups days past. And I'll still be in days before I expected to be.
Begun the early access wars have.

Bluestone
12.13.2011 , 06:14 PM | #18
They are staggering after the 20th. That's why there's no grace period. Everyone (except the greenzone digital downloaders) gets locked out of the forums and the game until they get their game in the mail and can put in their code.

This post release stagger will not be only 7 days, it will go on for 2 months.
Harbinger [Sanctuary] Co-Leader Ode'n of the Bluestone Legacy
Harbinger [Adversity] Co-Leader K'hor of the Bluestone Legacy

bobudo
12.13.2011 , 06:23 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RylanStorm View Post
Go have a look at all the people complaining. Put their names in a spreadsheet. If you get past 1,000 Id be amazed. Its the same vocal minority posting over and over and over again.

I'm not in the game yet. I'm one of the last pre-orders because I was starting a new job in July and I pre-ordered but never read the e-mail with the code. I registered finally about a week ago so will perhaps be one of the last in.

And yet still I benefit because the starting area will be less crowded, the major feck ups days past. And I'll still be in days before I expected to be.
I should report you for avoiding the word filter!!!

I jest, I jest.

You're right, vast majority might well be a grand exaggeration. It also might not be - their absence on the forums is not indicative of their approval, merely their lack of interest.

Apathy is hardly the attitude I'd like for the launch of my AAA MMO.

TaishoD
12.13.2011 , 06:35 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post
They are staggering after the 20th. That's why there's no grace period. Everyone (except the greenzone digital downloaders) gets locked out of the forums and the game until they get their game in the mail and can put in their code.

This post release stagger will not be only 7 days, it will go on for 2 months.
Ok ... and you are getting this information from where, exactly?