Let Pets help us loot

eabevella

Now pets serve no function and very few people are actually using it.

It would be nice if we can set the pet to "auto loot" and help us collect things dropped by the enemy.

You know, like a good pet.

Pets serve a function that way, it makes a player's life easier (less click=good), more people would use a pet, means more people would buy cool pets from CM.

Win-win situation, don't you think?

So long as it doesn't happen in operations, I'd be fine with it.

Yeah, the loot option should be turned off in OP and FP.

The first step for minipets should be to make the game remember which one you have out when you log off, and recalls it when you log in.

And adding the suggested feature smells somewhat of minor P2W, since the majority source for minipets is the CM.

The pet running off after we log off is another reason I don't bother summon one.

It is somewhat a P2W feature but it's nothing game breaking, just a small thing to save time for the subscribers.

Anything that is in any way considered P2W, even in a tiny capacity is probably not good.

I do like the idea of pets being able to loot. To combat the appearance of P2W, they could always give out a pet to every player, not as a reward, but as a 'tool', like the starting armour they get. That way, everyone has a pet, everyone can use it to loot.

As for op's & fp's, why would it matter if the pet looted. Wouldn't it be the same as a person looting, everyone gets credits, and the item drop gets randomly giving away, by need or greed.

Pets looting in the ops, might even speed it up, if no one is stopping to loot, and is instead just going through.

The pet running off after we log off is another reason I don't bother summon one.

It is somewhat a P2W feature but it's nothing game breaking, just a small thing to save time for the subscribers.

that can be annoying too...lol, or when you teleport.

Edited by DarkTergon

As for op's & fp's, why would it matter if the pet looted. Wouldn't it be the same as a person looting, everyone gets credits, and the item drop gets randomly giving away, by need or greed.

Pets looting in the ops, might even speed it up, if no one is stopping to loot, and is instead just going through.

Could end up creating issues when a player has to come back after a boss fight, either because he disconnected or because he died and respawned all the way on the start of the operation. Sometimes, despite being within the instance those people don't get the credit for it which is why my guild operation leaders usually wait until everyone is up and about before looting it. So that has no chance of happening and everyone can get their loot.

Edited by FlameYOL

Anything that is in any way considered P2W, even in a tiny capacity is probably not good.

I do like the idea of pets being able to loot. To combat the appearance of P2W, they could always give out a pet to every player, not as a reward, but as a 'tool', like the starting armour they get. That way, everyone has a pet, everyone can use it to loot.

that can be annoying too...lol, or when you teleport.

They can always give everyone a basic pet to introduce the feature. Anyone wants fancy pets can buy from the CM.

I saw some people losing their **** because another group member, likely not knowing the differences, picked need instead of greed for the KDY reputation items you get after beating the elite mini "boss"... better avoid that lol

I see this as a good idea that will never be introduced into the game since BW probably don't like good ideas.

But I support it 100%. A pet for everyone is a good way to avoid p2w, but even so.. I don't really see this as a p2w but rather as just an accomodation. Considering that everyone already needs to pay to properly play the game and equip artifact and legendary gear, this does makes the game already a p2w for some ppl. Just think of everything that f2p has to endure if he doesn't have a subscription, in my opition this makes this game a p2w.

And most subscribers if not all of them, already has at least 1 pet, even on the alts that they are not even playing. A pet can also be bought from the gtn for just a few credits that I belive everyone can afford to buy one. At the moment, the cheapest pet I can find on the gtn is just 20k

Edited by Tibi-Fit

Now pets serve no function and very few people are actually using it.

It would be nice if we can set the pet to "auto loot" and help us collect things dropped by the enemy.

You know, like a good pet.

Pets serve a function that way, it makes a player's life easier (less click=good), more people would use a pet, means more people would buy cool pets from CM.

Win-win situation, don't you think?

I likey! Great idea :jawa_biggrin:

i have ask the same question 6 years also about the pet system to give it more use.

and it was 6 years ago all that most people not like the idea all but it seems the time has chance and that people are finely agree with it that the pet system needs a small chance and become usefull for once.

i like to see that pets also most pick up drops from enemy's also on flashpoints and operations since it can make the run what faster then you get now.

and i compleet disagree with it that you think its a pay to win thing.

there are lot off pets in the game you can buy for cheap credits on the GTN and vendors sure there not looking good more but its still a pet.

there are also pets you can buy from reputation vendor's so there are a lot off options to get pets in the game for both preferant and free to play so its not the problem for then to get a pet.

for pets that are looking better like Vulptilla or model fighter then you need to spend cartal coins for it.

its the same with the mounts.

all players can buy mounts but if you wane have a cool looking mount you need to spent a lot off credits for it or cartal coins for it and thats the same with the idea the OP.

Could end up creating issues when a player has to come back after a boss fight, either because he disconnected or because he died and respawned all the way on the start of the operation. Sometimes, despite being within the instance those people don't get the credit for it which is why my guild operation leaders usually wait until everyone is up and about before looting it. So that has no chance of happening and everyone can get their loot.

very good point, didn't think of that. D'oh

and i compleet disagree with it that you think its a pay to win thing.

No, I (as in me, personally) don't think it would be P2W, as I get tons of pets free, BUT a new person starting, who doesn't get all the free things I do, and has to go and buy a pet, 'Might' then consider it a P2W feature.

Which is why I said anything that 'could' be considered a P2W, might not be good for the game.

Which was why I and another poster suggested a free pet for every char,. bound to that char., etc.

That would stop anyone claiming it was P2W.

Which was why I and another poster suggested a free pet for every char,. bound to that char., etc.

Even if you had to buy it for a tiny amount of credits (a couple of hundred, say) rather than it being actually free, that would self-evidently spike the nonsense about P2W. Doubly so if the buy-for-credits one was slightly better in some way. (Dunno what, though. Loot range? Can also gather resource nodes?)

No, I (as in me, personally) don't think it would be P2W, as I get tons of pets free, BUT a new person starting, who doesn't get all the free things I do, and has to go and buy a pet, 'Might' then consider it a P2W feature.

Which is why I said anything that 'could' be considered a P2W, might not be good for the game.

i know other mmorpg game's that have that pay to win pet system more and there are doing fine with it and the pets are doing there what usefull also.

from one game i know where there are 2 options to get a pet and thats from the item shop using real money.

or buy it from the action house from a other player but you will pay a lot for it.

and the pets in that game give the player boost from that stats it has like more crit DMG it will game or more crit rate chance's and a lot off other stuff same go's for the HP boost it can give or hp restore boost or hp steal from enemy's stuff like that you get from the pets there.

so thats more pay to win more.

here are pets 30k credits on the GTN on the server i play and then i talk more about the Cartal Market pets that are 30k on the GTN.

what i wane tell more is in all the MMORPG game's that use a Mount/speeder system and a pet system is it always for a new player that plays the game for the first tiime it will feel its a pay to win for the first time.

but when there play the game longer and more and learn things there see its almost not a pay to win game for a lot off things.

in the old day's off this game if feels it was more a pay to win game more since there was a big diffrends for what you get as a free to play player for the first time we all know it was much worse in the old day's but now things has chance big.

so the system that pets need to become usefull by picking up drops from the enemy's is something that needs to come to make pets in the game more usefull then there are now.

and DarkTergon whats the point now to getting as sub reward a stupid pet when its doing notting usefull and has become more a worthless thing in the game.

back in the old day's it was maybe fun but now its crap and something stupid since its worthless and you cant do anything with it since its doing notting so whats the point to have then as sub reward still.

let then become usefull all is it for something small like picking up the drops in the game then there are usefull to use more now are a lot off people not using then since its worthless.

Even if you had to buy it for a tiny amount of credits (a couple of hundred, say) rather than it being actually free, that would self-evidently spike the nonsense about P2W. Doubly so if the buy-for-credits one was slightly better in some way. (Dunno what, though. Loot range? Can also gather resource nodes?)

Personally I would love to have looting pets and see them as a QOL improvement rather then P2W but considering there was recently a discussion on the forums wether Locked Supply Crates from Heroics are P2W you are probably right.

Personally I would love to have looting pets and see them as a QOL improvement rather then P2W but considering there was recently a discussion on the forums wether Locked Supply Crates from Heroics are P2W you are probably right.

For those in the audience who missed it, *this* is the discussion that hof_th is referring to:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=989475

i not see why some people think that if pets pick up the loot you get from killing the enemy's is a P2W more?

sure most off the pets are sold on the cartal market but there are also selling for cheap on the GTN so its no problem for the new players to get a pet it will take some time thats for sure but thats sadly how this game works since its more P2W then free to play.

there are a lot off things you can see as P2W and put it on the same list like the credit limit is also a P2W system since you most buy sub to remove the credit limit.

the crafting limit is also then P2W.

sending more companions on missions is also P2W.

running more flashpoints on a day is also P2W.

to get the next expension is also P2W.

you need to have sub to use the forum to post something is also P2W.

in the end all the things you need sub for to get it more is P2W.

if people are against the P2W system then it also means a lot off things need to be chance also.

in the end more is that its always hard for new players in this game with or without that pets pick up loot is it always for then hard.

that means that most off the benefits for subs need to be chance to free to play if you wane make the game less P2W.

i still think that the OP suggestion needs to be add in the game since it make's more usefull to have a pet then its now.

also for the one's that think this system that pets picking up loot what is drop from the enemy's by killing then is more a Pay system i wane make clear its not.

since this suggestion has notting to do with it that only players that use real money can use it then there are wrong and need to look really good in the game what other things are where you need really to pay with real money to get it.

and then i talk about the credits limit, expension's,limit off flachpoints you can do in a day and go on with it so long that type restrictions are in this game that are more worse for a player that not wane spent real money in the game so long thats not been chance you cant tell that this suggestion from the OP is more a pay system since there are a lot off other worse pay systems in the game what is more worse then the suggestion from the OP

• 3 weeks later...

i know that DarkTergon has post on this thread that the pets is something new players not easy will get.

but i was thinking about chance 1 system we have now but also add 1 small chance since its true what the OP tells that pets need to have good function in this game.

the system off picking all the loot automatic at the same time between some area from the player is something we have now.

that is something that can be chance like for players that not use a pet is the same way as now but only thing chance is that the loot after you are not fighting any more will automatic pick up and put in your invertory in the same area we have.

but for the players that us a pet is it so that the pet after 1 emeny is all death and drop some loot that the pet will pick up the enemy loot all.

the only diffrend between players that use a pet and players that not use a pet is that the players that use a pet get there loot little faster then the players that not using a pet but thats a small diffrend i think we all can accept it then.

• 2 years later...

since broadsword is now developing the SWTOR game and not bioware anymore i was thinking to bump up this thread since its maybe a good chance that broadsword is going to do something with this idea to make pets in this game what more usefull and give then a pick up loot function since its time that the pets become usefull in this game.

1 hour ago, Tantala said:

Nice idea.  Running around collecting loot after a fight adds nothing to the game.

Buried in the Preferences panel somewhere, there's a setting to enable "area loot", where one pick-up action picks up loot from all foes in a specific range, which would go some way to mitigating that problem.  (No, I don't remember exactly where it is in the panel.  I turned the option on about eight years ago...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Buried in the Preferences panel somewhere, there's a setting to enable "area loot", where one pick-up action picks up loot from all foes in a specific range, which would go some way to mitigating that problem.  (No, I don't remember exactly where it is in the panel.  I turned the option on about eight years ago...

that option has 1 bad effect what a pet with the pick up loot not has.

and that is that you most first kill all the enemy's that are targeting you before you have a chance to pick up the loot there have drop.

when a pet is doing the pick up the loot job for you that means you can keep killing the enemy's that targeting you without have to worry about the loot there drop since that job can a pet then do for you.

most heroic's missions and i think some story line missions also have that big pack spawn that a lot of enemy's are spawn close to each other.

then you have a companion that heals you and helps you in the fight and your pet is doing the clean up job then and picking up loot there drop.

2 hours ago, Spikanor said:

that option has 1 bad effect what a pet with the pick up loot not has.

and that is that you most first kill all the enemy's that are targeting you before you have a chance to pick up the loot there have drop.

when a pet is doing the pick up the loot job for you that means you can keep killing the enemy's that targeting you without have to worry about the loot there drop since that job can a pet then do for you.

most heroic's missions and i think some story line missions also have that big pack spawn that a lot of enemy's are spawn close to each other.

then you have a companion that heals you and helps you in the fight and your pet is doing the clean up job then and picking up loot there drop.

My post was to address the "it's tedious to pick up individual enemies' drops" part of @Tantala's post, as a way to make it less tedious.  Nothing more.

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I checked preferences and it was there where you  said it would be ... already checked.  Unfortunately I could not find a way to make the range bigger.   I'll look again tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Thanks for the pointer.