When Will Commandos/Mercs Get Better Survivability For PvP?

Korithras

We get targeted at the outset of any fight, especially in arenas, because people know commandos don't have the survivability to take more than 3 or 4 hits before we go down. Even with defensive cooldowns and a pvp adrenal, our health drops like a stone, even in one-on-one fights. WE NEED MORE DAMAGE REDUCTION!!!

like that you have from abilities? idk..i think it's an hard class to master, but the most immortal arena healers were commandos..like 2 in my server (TRE) but definetly a lot above average sage or scoundrel, and i find myself better on my mando healer than anyone else.

dps wise.. gunnery is a bit interupt/stun dependant, but the enhanced knockback, the threat drop shielding an attack and the usual EN and shield, plus DR from grav round and the possibly 2 insta medical probes, plus the AMP time reduced seems a good arsenal of defences.. what do you suggest? i don't see anything else you could add to all this stuff..shield is a all rounder DR, differently from shroud or saber ward, which are counterable applying the right kind of dmg..you want a bubble or stealth? roll or force speed? it's these things i can think..maybe another stun..

like that you have from abilities? idk..i think it's an hard class to master, but the most immortal arena healers were commandos..like 2 in my server (TRE) but definetly a lot above average sage or scoundrel, and i find myself better on my mando healer than anyone else.

dps wise.. gunnery is a bit interupt/stun dependant, but the enhanced knockback, the threat drop shielding an attack and the usual EN and shield, plus DR from grav round and the possibly 2 insta medical probes, plus the AMP time reduced seems a good arsenal of defences.. what do you suggest? i don't see anything else you could add to all this stuff..shield is a all rounder DR, differently from shroud or saber ward, which are counterable applying the right kind of dmg..you want a bubble or stealth? roll or force speed? it's these things i can think..maybe another stun..

All true if you play middle-tree --and to a degree, the healer, although their baked-in defenses are a bit different-- but the right-hand tree definitely needs some attention in this regard.

Why can't Assault-Mando get the Vanguard's Adrenaline-Fuelled talent? Clearly, it needs it at least as much as Vang., if not more. What we get instead is the uselessness that is Reflexive Battery.

All true if you play middle-tree --and to a degree, the healer, although their baked-in defenses are a bit different-- but the right-hand tree definitely needs some attention in this regard.

Why can't Assault-Mando get the Vanguard's Adrenaline-Fuelled talent? Clearly, it needs it at least as much as Vang., if not more. What we get instead is the uselessness that is Reflexive Battery.

The reason why you don't get that is because they're different classes, one is ment to be a tank/dps and the other is a healer/dps so their defensive abilities should be different. There ate skills that every class wants to have from their counter part. If commandos got the 30%dmg reduct on AR add reactive shield with interrupt immunity they could effectively heal them selves back up to full so you would effectively get the same flak as jugs with ED

The reason why you don't get that is because they're different classes, one is ment to be a tank/dps and the other is a healer/dps so their defensive abilities should be different. There ate skills that every class wants to have from their counter part. If commandos got the 30%dmg reduct on AR add reactive shield with interrupt immunity they could effectively heal them selves back up to full so you would effectively get the same flak as jugs with ED

And yet, Merc doesn't get anywhere near the baked-in defenses that PTech already gets: Therefore (arguably) Merc needs it more, especially given the prevailing meta of "NUKE TEH CAST0R NAOW!!!!!1111oneoeneeleven!!" that has always prevailed in this game, and many like it.

Accessing the interruption-immunity from the shield requires six points in the healer-tree.

That is broadly viable if you play Gunnery/Arsenal, although you will have to make sacrifices in your tree that I, for one, would not want to make --in any case, soon won't be necessary, as Power-Surge will refund a charge of interrupt-immunity once it's consumed (2 for Arsen/Gunny if talented) for all Commandos/Mercs after 2.8, unless they've changed that?

The healer also gets their full interrupt immunity from the shield, and good for them, because they need it, especially in PvP.

Again, the right-hand tree gets shafted:

Merc/Mando has, UIVMM, the highest skill tax of any AC in the game:

Almost mandatory 8 points in the middle-tree for healers, at least those eight, plus the two for pushback resistance for damagers. Where are those other six points for the shield-talent to come from if you're playing Pyro/Assault without massive sacrifices elsewhere?

Yes, the two Advanced Classes are very different indeed --which compels the question, why do they all share a skill-tree to begin with?

Is there an actual rationale for this, or is it just more of the thoughtlessly lazy, intellectually-imprisoned design-ethic that informs every EA-published product ever made?

E:

Here's a Gunny/Arsen-build. 6 -- 37 -- 3 that grants the shield talent whilst minimising losses elsewhere, but only for middle tree. I tried futzing around with Assault to get it, and when I could do so at all, the sacrifices just didn't seem at all worth the gains, especially given what's coming in 2.8.

Edited by midianlord

And yet, Merc doesn't get anywhere near the baked-in defenses that PTech already gets: Therefore (arguably) Merc needs it more, especially given the prevailing meta of "NUKE TEH CAST0R NAOW!!!!!1111oneoeneeleven!!" that has always prevailed in this game, and many like it.

Accessing the interruption-immunity from the shield requires six points in the healer-tree.

That is broadly viable if you play Gunnery/Arsenal, although you will have to make sacrifices in your tree that I, for one, would not want to make --in any case, soon won't be necessary, as Power-Surge will refund a charge of interrupt-immunity once it's consumed (2 for Arsen/Gunny if talented) for all Commandos/Mercs after 2.8, unless they've changed that?

The healer also gets their full interrupt immunity from the shield, and good for them, because they need it, especially in PvP.

Again, the right-hand tree gets shafted:

Merc/Mando has, UIVMM, the highest skill tax of any AC in the game:

Almost mandatory 8 points in the middle-tree for healers, at least those eight, plus the two for pushback resistance for damagers. Where are those other six points for the shield-talent to come from if you're playing Pyro/Assault without massive sacrifices elsewhere?

Yes, the two Advanced Classes are very different indeed --which compels the question, why do they all share a skill-tree to begin with?

Is there an actual rationale for this, or is it just more of the thoughtlessly lazy, intellectually-imprisoned design-ethic that informs every EA-published product ever made?

When 2.8 comes out TO gives you 6 seconds of Int immunity after the charges are used, for all specs so Mando will be getting more baseline int immunity.

Again the reason why mandos don't have the same kind of defense is because they're supposed to be dps/healers, more specifically Rdps healers in like a VG that is a Mdps tank, because of them being a melee class and melee classes being vulnerable to kiting and aoe abilities so more defense is needed for them. While this may seem unfair because they have better defensive skills yet you share a same base class but it is because you are supposed to be at a range trying to keep away and fight like that. While this strat doesn't work very well in arenas because arenas are small you have to look at PVP in a larger scale than arenas because the warzones still exist. Because of this fact alone you can't make a ranged class that can survive FF have good KBs snares good general DCDs that has excellent damage can heal and cleans, sounds pretty powerful and then you'll have people bitxh that AS mandos are gods in PVP nerf nerf nerf.

Lastly the reason for having advance classes share specs is for balancing reasons. Tryin to balance 4 dps specs so that they're decently viable in all areas is easier than trying to balance 8 specs then adding something for all the middle trees for making them more PVP or PVE favorable. Then you have the healers and tanks to balance out which for the most part they are, each one has their strengths and weaknesses and are all viable but some are more favorable

[...] While this may seem unfair because they have better defensive skills yet you share a same base class but it is because you are supposed to be at a range trying to keep away and fight like that.

[...]

Lastly the reason for having advance classes share specs is for balancing reasons. Tryin to balance 4 dps specs so that they're decently viable in all areas is easier than trying to balance 8 specs then adding something for all the middle trees for making them more PVP or PVE favorable. Then you have the healers and tanks to balance out which for the most part they are, each one has their strengths and weaknesses and are all viable but some are more favorable

If we had a proper ranged root --Like the Snipinger's Leg Shot, that one is/does exactly what it should, exactly the way it should-- and an emergency gap-opener --again, look to the Snipinger*-- then little or none of this would be necessary, given that, unlike Snipingers, we have (considerably) higher armour-rating, and the arguably best off-heals of any of the hybrid healer/damager classes.

The whole damned community has been begging for this for forever, and has repeatedly shown that it is needed, but as usual, this borderline-incompetent dev-team is too far up its own *** to even notice this, let alone acknowledge it, or, Satan forbid, do anything about it.

As for the other:

yeah: Lazy design, because ::effort::

*It's not just because I play Snipingers along with Mercs since final Beta that I keep mentioning them. It's because they're the only caster-turret class in this game that is designed correctly that actually works in PvP. It compels the question -- is the Mando/Merc to be a kiter? It really doesn't seem that way except for when certain cooldowns being available (HtL is....mediocre, IMO. HtL + ElectroNet + knockback is what makes it possible, and those are some longish cooldowns), so why not make us a full, proper turret?

I don't mind being a walking missile-battery, myself, as long as I can work properly as one in a "hostile operating environment."

That, plus cover for Mercs would be bloody hilarious --the forum-tears alone from all the bads who think that they're PvP'ers would be so immensely worth the inevitable massive nerf, it's not even funny.

If we had a proper ranged root --Like the Snipinger's Leg Shot, that one is/does exactly what it should, exactly the way it should-- and an emergency gap-opener --again, look to the Snipinger*-- then little or none of this would be necessary, given that, unlike Snipingers, we have (considerably) higher armour-rating, and the arguably best off-heals of any of the hybrid healer/damager classes.

The whole damned community has been begging for this for forever, and has repeatedly shown that it is needed, but as usual, this borderline-incompetent dev-team is too far up its own *** to even notice this, let alone acknowledge it, or, Satan forbid, do anything about it.

As for the other:

yeah: Lazy design, because ::effort::

*It's not just because I play Snipingers along with Mercs since final Beta that I keep mentioning them. It's because they're the only caster-turret class in this game that is designed correctly that actually works in PvP. It compels the question -- is the Mando/Merc to be a kiter? It really doesn't seem that way except for when certain cooldowns being available (HtL is....mediocre, IMO. HtL + ElectroNet + knockback is what makes it possible, and those are some longish cooldowns), so why not make us a full, proper turret?

I don't mind being a walking missile-battery, myself, as long as I can work properly as one in a "hostile operating environment."

That, plus cover for Mercs would be bloody hilarious --the forum-tears alone from all the bads who think that they're PvP'ers would be so immensely worth the inevitable massive nerf, it's not even funny.

Also don't you think it's kinda retarded that Every class will have an oh **** button soon? I mean FF is FF you should be dying there's so getting around it, some classes should be able to survive it and those should be the tank off spec classes but other than that other classes should have either escapes or preventative skills.

I use gunnery/arsenal and dont have all that much of an issue with it. My tree is 6/36/4.Specifically this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McoZrcfRrdokfbsZcz.3 Also I use tech overrides specifically to pop medical probe on myself twice. I also use my reactive shield and hold the line so I cannot be interrupted or knockback interrupted. It still messes us up for stuns,but thats going to happen. As far as assault goes,I havent used it since 1.2 killed it. Edited by Ravenschild

• 1 month later...

Ok, i am Commando Healer and I Just ask myself how you can say that. Or what am i doing wrong, because i dont have any chance in Arenas.

I only face against Groups with Scoundrel Heals, what means, they will be invisble at the start, so that in 80% of the games my opponent Team gets the opening Burst.

Here are 3 Scenarios

1. I get a Hardstun and i am dead

2. I get a Hardstun und use CC_Breaker, the disadvantage through this start ist huge

3. I get a Hardstun and my team helps me

In case 1 and 2 the disadvantage is obvious, and in case 3 i think.. it would be so much easier for my mates, when they dont need too protect me with a Mass-CC right at the beginning.

------------

But lets say, i got Into the fight, what means, i survived the opener, and i have all my defensive CD´s.

What are my disadvantages against Scoundrel-Heal?

1. The Scoundrel has more instants, means, its easier to intterrupt me. (Of course i have reactive Shield but only once in a Arena).

2. The Scoundrel can clean every dot when he vanishes, i cant, thats a real problem against sentinels or sages.

3. The Scoundrel can easier kite, off course hold the line is nice, but the roll is much more effective if used wisely

4. Concussion Charge is just nonsense, it gives my opponent resolve, pushed my opponent out of range of my melees and... yeah, really its only useable in a range setup i think, but even then its not really useable to get away from enemies

-----

But ok, i have to say, i am maybe not the best Commando, although i got the 3k HPS in a random Warzone, and i think i understand how to kite as a Commando Healer.

But i really have no Idea how i should be competitive in Arenas.

So maybe here is a merc or Commando with Some Experience, which can help me. Videos from Arena would be great to, i searched at youtube, but didnt find anything.

At last, excuse bad english, i really cant speak it, i understand it, but speaking or even writing.. oh noes :D

NOTE: I suck.

Now that we have that out of the way, I feel like gunnery mandos could use a little help. There have been countless ranked as well as unranked arenas that I have gone to where I get nuked. The entire opposing team focuses on me, so I pop my Adrenaline Rush, reactive shield, both the warzone adrenals, then my knockback, throw in a stun, and then proceed to get murdered. Oh, did I fail to mention that takes place in about 10 seconds?

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, i am Commando Healer and I Just ask myself how you can say that. Or what am i doing wrong, because i dont have any chance in Arenas.

I only face against Groups with Scoundrel Heals, what means, they will be invisble at the start, so that in 80% of the games my opponent Team gets the opening Burst.

Here are 3 Scenarios

1. I get a Hardstun and i am dead

2. I get a Hardstun und use CC_Breaker, the disadvantage through this start ist huge

3. I get a Hardstun and my team helps me

In case 1 and 2 the disadvantage is obvious, and in case 3 i think.. it would be so much easier for my mates, when they dont need too protect me with a Mass-CC right at the beginning.

------------

But lets say, i got Into the fight, what means, i survived the opener, and i have all my defensive CD´s.

What are my disadvantages against Scoundrel-Heal?

1. The Scoundrel has more instants, means, its easier to intterrupt me. (Of course i have reactive Shield but only once in a Arena).

2. The Scoundrel can clean every dot when he vanishes, i cant, thats a real problem against sentinels or sages.

3. The Scoundrel can easier kite, off course hold the line is nice, but the roll is much more effective if used wisely

4. Concussion Charge is just nonsense, it gives my opponent resolve, pushed my opponent out of range of my melees and... yeah, really its only useable in a range setup i think, but even then its not really useable to get away from enemies

-----

But ok, i have to say, i am maybe not the best Commando, although i got the 3k HPS in a random Warzone, and i think i understand how to kite as a Commando Healer.

But i really have no Idea how i should be competitive in Arenas.

So maybe here is a merc or Commando with Some Experience, which can help me. Videos from Arena would be great to, i searched at youtube, but didnt find anything.

At last, excuse bad english, i really cant speak it, i understand it, but speaking or even writing.. oh noes :D

I agree with this one:) Videos or other arena hints would be very helpfull.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Against Melee classes, you have to use your manoeuvrability and range to beat them. Immobilise them, snare them or slow them. Use your hydraulic over ride to get away from them. Against focused fire from Ranged classes, yeah you are basically screwed. Since their ranged classes should be standing further back from the front line, in a large fight you should be able to just run out of range when you realise you are being focused and more often than not they don't chase you. You have to just keep moving.

the role isnt the issue... look at snipers, far more survivability skills in the same ranged dps role. no, heavy armor and self heals dont make up for all that, i have FAR more survivability on my sniper than my merc.

heck, sorcs have far more survivability and an affective shield AND a bubble, knock back roots and all other kinds of toys.

We need something... even if its just buffing what we have, mercs are free kills to well geared players, they know it, we know it.