How do I choose a main? :(

Violium

I' managed to focus entirely on story content for the last 4-5 years, so I never really did any PvE content besides Kuat, and the only PvP was for the introduction mission.. So now that I am wanting to get into primarily PvE content, I have no idea what I am supposed to look for in a main class.

Mainly torn between Sorc or Sniper, I love the DPS and play style of both, but leaning toward Sorc because the resource management seems easier(and I like the animations). I am just worried that it won't perform well enough to actually do endgame PvE stuff(even though idk what that is lol).

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask :)

Sorc dps is underperforming right now, but for most endgame content you'll be fine.

Everyone has different reasons for choosing their classes, I ended up maining all stealth because I can't jump and in flashpoints it's all about avoiding the mobs by jumping around. Stealth can just walk by the mobs, no jumping required. Plus using combat stealth to avoid repair bills when a raid wipes is awesome.

I'd say just pick the class you have the most fun with when choosing a main(s).

Although you might want to keep the ability to respec to a different role in mind. Snipers are dps only, but sorcs can be heals or dps. It's handy to be able to dual-role as needed, and keeps things from becoming too routine if you switch up roles once in a while.

To me it's partly story, and partly capabilities. By capabilities i don't mean effiency, but more like the stuff it can do. Sadly my perfect case is not possible so i don't truly have a main yet.

Sneaking: I love sneaking around. It feels real to sneak around an army instead of fighting it. A damn ghost who pops up where needed, and kill only as many as required for the job.

Healing: Since i started to play MMOs back in WoW i always preferred healing. I go healer, or support in pretty much all MP games.

The force: In SW story the force seems to be something truly powerful. Also non-force users use infinite supply of "consumables". I mean throwing a thermal detonator is just a class skill in the game, but in a movie for example it's more like a consumable. But the force is infinite. Also the non-force user vs force user head on fight is kinda bad looking. Especially against a sith. I mean he could just break the main character's neck, and be done with it.

The first 2 makes me want to play as smuggler, but the last makes it prefer consular/sorcerer.

Make a list of what you want to do, and try to put them into priority, then decide class by that way. Certain classes are up/op right now, but a few months, and patches change that.

I have never been able to choose a main in any game, I always end up with at least one of every class. For SWTOR I tend to jump between my Sniper and Sorc, I love the stories of both as well as the DPS capabilities. I lean toward Sorc for the option of heeling and actually being helpful in my group :)

I lean toward Sorc for the option of heeling and actually being helpful in my group :)

I mean.. Sniper's Ballistic Shield is very helpful for your group aswell. The question is: why do you have to choose a main? Are you looking for a spot in a raid group? Well, they might only have a spot for a healer so in that case it had to be sorc. You want to do Group Finder stuff? Healers get pops easier than DPS so it's sorc there aswell. Or is it about farming titles/mounts on one main character, or do you only have time to gear up one character? In those cases it's just an issue of time. If you have the time, why not continue the way you always did/enjoy?

• 2 weeks later...

The only "right" answer depends on what criteria you want to guide you. If you have a certain role you want to play in PVE, there are definitely better options than others, though they change with each expansion, though I suspect class balance will be less a focus for some time. Sorcs have suffered in PVE for a number of years now, but if you understand the class (I think priority system + ranged + force barrier) helps immensely, I consider it an easy class to master.

For me, I chose my main for role play reasons. In other RPG games I usually prefer a brute, melee approach to dispatch my enemies. But with Star Wars...I just think force lightning is freaking awesome! Always have. So...I chose a lightning sorcerer as my main and just stuck with it. :)

Edited by LordDelectus