Sorc or operative

Zombiekittz

So I have just come back to this game and I enjoyed it when I last played, since I don't really have any high lvl characters, Even though I remember finishing the story for agent, and bounty hunter I plan to make a new character re learn the game.

I'm torn between these two classes. and while I know some about them I don't know a lot. I want to be able to play in end game things, I want to not struggle to find groups too much I know on other games certain classes aren't wanted at all..

While I might dip my toe in pvp I really doubt I will ever do it fully/ seriously.

On other games I tend to play the outsider style character one that sneak around a lot but I do enjoy range combat as well. since I believe they have some of the flashier animations.

What's the learning curve for each of these classes?

while I don't want a simple class I also don't want one that is akin to playing the piano to make it work well.

while I remember being told that the agent story was the best around I worry that in the newer stuff it will feel disjointed in force matters

how is the sorc's story arc?

I'm torn between these two classes. and while I know some about them I don't know a lot. I want to be able to play in end game things, I want to not struggle to find groups too much I know on other games certain classes aren't wanted at all..

There isn't much of that in SWTOR as long as you play well and keep up. The primary thing with end-game in SWTOR at the moment is that it is primarly done as speedruns rather than taking time to watch the story elements and smell the roses.

On other games I tend to play the outsider style character one that sneak around a lot but I do enjoy range combat as well. since I believe they have some of the flashier animations.

Sorc is ranged for sure, and Lightning sorc has some of the flashiest animation sets in the game.

What's the learning curve for each of these classes?

while I don't want a simple class I also don't want one that is akin to playing the piano to make it work well.

All the classes/specs have their piano moments if you want the very, very best out of them, but Lightning sorc has some extremely competent and moderately simple rotations. I don't play Operative much (I have one, stuck at level 70, and he probably won't go much further, poor guy) because I discovered along the way that I don't really like something about it.

while I remember being told that the agent story was the best around I worry that in the newer stuff it will feel disjointed in force matters

how is the sorc's story arc?

I was told the same thing about Agent - lots of people here are vociferous on that point - but I disagree. In my opinion (spoilers):

It begins with a very strong (if slightly implausible on one point(1)) starter world story, although I think the Consular's is better. So far, so good. Chapter 1 is fairly straightforward "catch the terrorists" scenario with a brutal twist, but then it goes downhil, and ends up being far too close to the antique cliché of the lone agent battling the hidden forces of the Secret Masters or the Illuminati or something.

(1) Maybe it's just inadequately explained.

The Inquisitor story arc (works for Assassins just the same as for Sorcs) is better, although plagued with visits from Deus Ex Machina Man to pulls the Inquisitor's nuts out of the wringer (and yes, I imagine that's as painful as it sounds) on multiple occasions. But it has entertaining characters and the opportunity to completely derail an NPC's brain.

But hey, those are my opinions, and all I can suggest outside of that is to play both and see for yourself.

while IA story is touted as one of the best (and i tend to agree), i also believe that the Sith Inquisitor storry is by far the worst. You have very bland companions except maybe one, The story paints your character into a complete idiot that deserves at least three facepalms. These are my opinions and i feel very passionately about them because i just finished the SI playthrough and was extremely dissappointed and put out by the terrible writing.

As far as gameplay, i think IA still outshines SI. IA is tankier and generally has a lot more tools for either dps or defense.

Agent story is better than inquisitor.

Both dps disciplined for operative are better than sorc in PvE and PvP.

Healing is debatable. I personally prefer sorc healing (after the recent buff). I think all 3 healers are serviceable in all content.