BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Hold the Line/Hydraulic Overrides should be pretty helpful in getting away.

no details given in the patch notes that I read on this but let me google it,,,,:confused:

found it http://www.torhead.com/ability/bpLQwdz/hydraulic-overrides

well this might be quite versatile looks like they have tried to put a skill behind what the commando does in the hope intro video now all we need as the one to hold a thermal detonator in a targets face and blow us both up with it XD

i did have a similar idea to the net which was a wrist harpoon that launches a player back 15 meters and causes them to bleed out but really they just need to make jet boost root effected players a give the merc said immunities obliviously from the surrounding heat radiation or something like that.

even sillier idea was to let mercs carry a vibro sword as an offhand and give commandos a vibro knife bayonet to purge the farseer er i mean sorc ;)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely, but it's typical that merc/mandos have to blow 3 or 4 cooldowns just to pull off a single trick on one attacker. It's like using up your cryo + kb because you don't have a root on the kb, or using up tech override + concussion round because your single target mez won't go off in time to save you or will be interrupted or LoS'd while you try to cast it. Again, merc/mandos are obliged to play their keybinds like a piano yet they're up against 3-button instant high-burst specs/ACs that have very low skill caps and can cancel out our supposed "range advantage" with a single cooldown. There's just too much asymmetry there for a couple of tweaks to even the playing field.

Edited by klham

Intercede/Guardian leap would most likely be considered an escape that would be locked out, Rescue I'm not so sure of. Need to test this on the PTS, hopefully bolster gets fixed tomorrow.

target of net locked out of all leaps? I would think yes.

Guardian/jugg doing friendly leap to the target of electro net? I would think that would be allowed, just as I would expect a sage/sorc to be able to bubble and heal the target of the electro net.

merc/mandos are obliged to play their keybinds like a piano yet they're up against 3-button instant high-burst specs/ACs that have very low skill caps and can cancel out our supposed "range advantage" with a single cooldown. There's just too much asymmetry there for a couple of tweaks to even the playing field.

This is the trade-off for having super easy target acquisition and target maintenance (keeping target in range and in your firing arc). Let's face it, even a noob playing a Merc can keep an enemy target in range and in his firing arc 90% of the time. But a noob on a melee struggles to do that 50% of the time. So the devs counter that by making Mercs have the lowest utility in the game, the lowest damage output amongst dps subclasses, and the lowest survivability in the game. The problem is that amongst skilled melee players, their uptime increases dramatically while for skilled Merc, you are still stuck with the same STRUCTURAL handicaps. The devs have not fixed this, nor are ever likely to fix this because from their perspective, the meta average productivity of the classes is balanced. But from the player perspective the situation is fubar. Mercs are OP amongst low skill players and are worthless amongst high skill players.

Now that we're can finally test it's obvious that Hold the Line is the buff they gave us.

With it's long cooldown electro - net isn't nearly as useful as I thought it'd be. It's more of a gimmick that you can play with a few times a match. It's so rare people don't even know it's there and it doesn't do nearly enough damage to make it a game changer for the class.

Now that we're can finally test it's obvious that Hold the Line is the buff they gave us.

With it's long cooldown electro - net isn't nearly as useful as I thought it'd be. It's more of a gimmick that you can play with a few times a match. It's so rare people don't even know it's there and it doesn't do nearly enough damage to make it a game changer for the class.

Finding pretty much the same thing in pugged warzones myself, though electro net is really aimed at organised groups. Without a called target it's way less useful.

The problem with Hold the Line is all the Pyro PTs/Assault Vanguards running around with it. Yegads.

2.0 is starting to look like a bit of a bust as far as rebalancing for pvp goes. I have more tools, but so does everyone else, and my time-till-death is way down. Conversely, it seems much much harder to kill healers now.

Finding pretty much the same thing in pugged warzones myself, though electro net is really aimed at organised groups. Without a called target it's way less useful.

The problem with Hold the Line is all the Pyro PTs/Assault Vanguards running around with it. Yegads.

2.0 is starting to look like a bit of a bust as far as rebalancing for pvp goes. I have more tools, but so does everyone else, and my time-till-death is way down. Conversely, it seems much much harder to kill healers now.

Yeah its a bust for Mercs. I had such high hopes as well. If anything it looks like the DPS is even worst now on the Mercs. We do get some very high hits, but so does all the other classes. I actually think they could be funner to play in 2.0, they just need DPS. DPS is lower than it was on live IMO.

idk, ive been having a jolly old time on PTS with my commando.

i did some transfer magic and ive got a full set of reflex 22 augmented Partisan PvP gear, minus only the +exp crystal and offhand/mainhand armoring/barrel.

electronet 90s cooldown is okay, definitely cant really tell how useful it is in PUGs tho.

i FRAKING LOVE hold the line. so much :D was able to 1v1 one of the best powertechs (i think anyways) from pot5 just a bit ago as gunnery, that was cool. ive been breaking 9k with demo round, 5k+ ticks on full auto, and the occasional 5k grav round (think that could be cuz everyone is running around in PvE gear tho). kolto bomb is sweet.

but i can tell you pretty much for sure that i am working way harder to kill folks than they have to work to kill me.

oh, and gunnery commando is a clutch ball carrier now. hold the line + reactive shield + tech override for Med Probes on the move, and you can run halfway across the map without being stopped

more fun facts: i just hit a marauder for 10k

Edited by cashogy_reborn

This is the trade-off for having super easy target acquisition and target maintenance (keeping target in range and in your firing arc). Let's face it, even a noob playing a Merc can keep an enemy target in range and in his firing arc 90% of the time. But a noob on a melee struggles to do that 50% of the time. So the devs counter that by making Mercs have the lowest utility in the game, the lowest damage output amongst dps subclasses, and the lowest survivability in the game. The problem is that amongst skilled melee players, their uptime increases dramatically while for skilled Merc, you are still stuck with the same STRUCTURAL handicaps. The devs have not fixed this, nor are ever likely to fix this because from their perspective, the meta average productivity of the classes is balanced. But from the player perspective the situation is fubar. Mercs are OP amongst low skill players and are worthless amongst high skill players.
While I don't disagree, Merc/mando doesn't benefit from any advantages re targeting that the other ranged ACs don't also possess. Quite the opposite, GS/Sniper and some builds of Sorc/Sage have greater range, as well as far more ample toolkits (immunities, dmg mitation, escapes/movement, etc.). But I get what you're saying re meta averages, and I think you're right that if the fix didn't come with 2.0, then it probably never will. Merc/mandos will just have to learn to love Suicide Mode PvP gameplay, learn to heal (and be 3rd best), or re-roll. Edited by klham

Like I wrote in the Feedback-thread on the PTS-forum and several other players have tried to bring forth:

Commandos doesn't have any clear purpose team-wise in competitive forms of PvP.

Sure, we can hide in a corner or hump pillars trying to get our interruptible, proc-depending casts off. The fact still remains that Gunslingers can do pretty much everything Commandos can do, and do i way better.

Commandos need a unique skill that supports the team and makes us wanted for Ranked PvP.

The survivability is there as 2.0 stands. With Hold the Line and Electro Net (too long cooldown) we've been given our so long desired escapes, no more taking a smash to the face every time a melee-class leaps us.

Like I wrote in the Feedback-thread on the PTS-forum and several other players have tried to bring forth:

Commandos doesn't have any clear purpose team-wise in competitive forms of PvP.

Sure, we can hide in a corner or hump pillars trying to get our interruptible, proc-depending casts off. The fact still remains that Gunslingers can do pretty much everything Commandos can do, and do i way better.

Commandos need a unique skill that supports the team and makes us wanted for Ranked PvP.

The survivability is there as 2.0 stands. With Hold the Line and Electro Net (too long cooldown) we've been given our so long desired escapes, no more taking a smash to the face every time a melee-class leaps us.

I'm not sure where you are coming from but Commando definitely has a clear purpose in PvP and thats doing damage. That Commandos right now suck at dealing damage in pvp compared to every other class doesen't get fixed by some unique skill that magically makes everyone want you unless that skill is so unbalanced that the team just has to ignore the lost dmg. What Commandos need is a fix to their skills so they aren't completely shut down if someone pretty much just looks their way with an interrupt.

I think you will be surprised at how rapidly the melee player base adapts to the new Merc abilities and becomes able to negate them. As I said in another thread, on my melee toon, if I get a Force Leap off first on a Merc, he is dead. Doesn't matter if he has TWO Electro Nets. He is dead.

Hello everybody,

a friend of mine and I are playing o nthe german server T3-M4 and its the same problem with the Commandos and the Mers there aswell. My friend was testing his Mercs on the test-server this week - but today he told me it will still be the same problem. He likes his Mercs verry well, but he is allways saying that his Mercs is missing some ability like the sniper has for beeing not interuptable and not beeing first jumpign-target.

He tested his Mercs 1vs1 in pvp at the test-server. No chance against a marauder! ... Getting interupted, stuned, can't get away - down. The electro-net (new ability - don't know if it's called in english this way) only deals up to 200-300 damage...that's nothing that will stop a melee.

My idea for solveing this Mercenary/Commando-problem would be:

They should get an ability when using it the player rams his feet into the ground becoming a "rooted missile platform" (somthing like 1 sec. cast time) and after this the Mercenary/Commando is not interuptable/can't be jumped to for about 45 sec. This ability could be only used every 105 sec.

This would be my idea about Mercenary/Commando getting back into the PvP and you could give it a pretty cool ability effect.

Perhaps my english is not the best, but I think everyone understands my proposal.

Edited by Commade

Hello everybody,

a friend of mine and I are playing o nthe german server T3-M4 and its the same problem with the Commandos and the Mers there aswell. My friend was testing his Mercs on the test-server this week - but today he told me it will still be the same problem. He likes his Mercs verry well, but he is allways saying that his Mercs is missing some ability like the sniper has for beeing not interuptable and not beeing first jumpign-target.

He tested his Mercs 1vs1 in pvp at the test-server. No chance against a marauder! ... Getting interupted, stuned, can't get away - down. The electro-net (new ability - don't know if it's called in english this way) only deals up to 200-300 damage...that's nothing that will stop a melee.

My idea for solveing this Mercenary/Commando-problem would be:

They should get an ability when using it the player rams his feet into the ground becoming a "rooted missile platform" (somthing like 1 sec. cast time) and after this the Mercenary/Commando is not interuptable/can't be jumped to for about 45 sec. This ability could be only used every 105 sec.

This would be my idea about Mercenary/Commando getting back into the PvP and you could give it a pretty cool ability effect.

Perhaps my english is not the best, but I think everyone understands my proposal.

merc/mando is actually much much better at 1v1s with the 2.0 changes. ive only lost 1 actual 1v1, and it was to an operative that was fan-boying me and i had no cooldowns

and in regards to your suggestion, no thank you

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Or throw us a bone and roll up TO and RP into one button and put it on a shorter cooldown, since they're often used in unison. Or, better yet, put it on a proc'd reset (but use something other than grav round ffs...say, Charged Bolts, just to give us a reason to use CB aside from when we get locked out of GR while trying to reset FA). Edited by klham

Or throw us a bone and roll up TO and RP into one button and put it on a shorter cooldown, since they're often used in unison. Or, better yet, put it on a proc'd reset (but use something other than grav round ffs...say, Charged Bolts, just to give us a reason to use CB aside from when we get locked out of GR while trying to reset FA).

I actually don't like them being linked. I use them for different things in different situations.

Also RP is a baseline trooper ability, not a commando ability. Vanguards get it too.

I actually don't like them being linked. I use them for different things in different situations.

Also RP is a baseline trooper ability, not a commando ability. Vanguards get it too.

That doesn't preclude FA (a shared Trooper ability) from being buffed via talents in the Gunnery Tree. And a proc'd reset would make it available for use in all applicable situations. Probably fair to say these two abilities are used variously for Plasma Grenade, Concussion Round, and Medical Probe.

That doesn't preclude FA (a shared Trooper ability) from being buffed via talents in the Gunnery Tree. And a proc'd reset would make it available for use in all applicable situations. Probably fair to say these two abilities are used variously for Plasma Grenade, Concussion Round, and Medical Probe.

Oh I don't mind the proc'd reset. I like that a lot actually. I was just saying that rolling them into one ability was problematic as RP is a trooper baseline ability and TO is a commando level 46 ability. Rolling them into one ability would only be beneficial if they gave us an actual good offensive cooldown at 46. Otherwise, in PVE I use RP specifically in combination with FA when I'm on the edge of top tier regen to basically get almost all my ammo back, and use Tech Override for instant Concussion Rounds and Medical Probes. In PVP I'll also probably start using it for 2x Grav Round on the run.

Would definitely prefer they give a proc granting a cooldown reduction (tie it to ticks of full auto!) and make talents in either tree reduce the cooldown of BOTH.

just flat reduce the cooldowns of both abilities to 60s. RP for vanguards on a shorter cooldown has almost no impact on their heat management, but it would help a lot of commandos.

and obviously TO on a 60s cooldown would be very good for gunnery (who can talent it down to just 30s).

i think this is probably one of the better ideas ive had lol

just flat reduce the cooldowns of both abilities to 60s. RP for vanguards on a shorter cooldown has almost no impact on their heat management, but it would help a lot of commandos.

and obviously TO on a 60s cooldown would be very good for gunnery (who can talent it down to just 30s).

I am all for lowering both to 60s, would be a big help for gunnery.

^

That. Right there. What this guy said. PLEASE MAKE THESE CHANGES BIOWARE.