How to: Stealth-rez in operations

Hello all!

many times in the last months I heard of experienced Scoundrel/Op-Healers and Assassines/Shadows, that were trying to do a stealth rez and got mysteriously pulled back into combat, so that their attempt to revive a dead member of their raid team failed. To help those, who want to help their group by doing such a revive, I'll try to formulate a guide for stealth-rezzing.

So, the first question is: What is a stealth rez? Every player has an ability, called "Revive" at their Skill-window under the category "general". This ability has no cooldown on healing-classes. On other classes, it has a roughly 16 minutes CD. I would suggest to put it onto one of your bars, somewhere near your Holostatue of Revan, your pyro-grenades or your priority transports. Usually, you don't need a keybind. Never use it with right-clicking at the dead bodie of your team member. With this ability, you can revive an allied player, as long, as you are out of combat. Yes, you can use it, while a boss-fight is going on. You just have to be out of combat.

But how do we get out of combat? There are two ways: 1. You can use your cloak-ability. Both, shadow and scoundrel have an ability, that puts them out of any threat-list and, more important, takes them out of combat. 2. You are dead and got rezzed by someone else. I know, usually the tomatoe-sentinels are jumping right back into the bad AoE's, after they got rezzed. However, after a rez, you are not in combat. You can easily start a normal revive on one of the other dead players.

Cloak has a very long CD, so you shouldn't just stealth out and hope for the best. Before you leave combat, you have to make yourself an overview about the situation and consider some things. I could write a huge novel about everything, but I think, an easy list can also do it's job.

• Be aware of what happens next. Will the boss do some sort of unavoidable AoE? Will Adds spawn? Will someone receive a big amount of damage?
  • Inform the raid, about what you are doing. It doesn't help, when your raidleader is asking for a stealth-rez some seconds later and you have to answere "I just tried. It failed."
  • Consider, wether you need your cloaking ability within the next 75/105 seconds (before the cooldown would fall of, if you use it now). E.g. don't stealth rez, when you have to pick up the pyramid @Calphi/DP immediately after.
  • If you are a healer: Make sure, that the group is up, when you start rezzing. It doesn't help, when you rez one player, and, while doing that, two of the others are dying. Also, make sure, that your just-revived friend doesn't die due to some damage. Tell him, to accept the revive on your command. Otherwise, you will eventually see the tomatoe-sentinal mentioned before.
  • If you are a tank: Make sure, that someone else does your job, when you stealth out. The new "tank" should know everything, that is necessary, to tank the boss for the next ~15 seconds. Suggest him/her, to use cooldowns. DPS are very squishy, healers are even more. It doesn't help, when you and the one, you revived are the last ones alive, because the boss was raging around.
  • Think about what you do, when you reenter combat yourself. As a tank, you have to regain control over the fight. You have to know, what the boss is doing, even if you didn't tanked it for the last 15 seconds.
  • Be aware of your own situation. There are some mechanics, that would pull you back into the fight immediately, e.g. when you've picked up a crystal at Dread Council second/third phase.
  • When you are rezzing more then one person, inform them, to not enter combat, unless you are finished with reviving. Everytime, someone enters combat, everyone in your team, who is out of combat will be pulled back into it. So, your tomatoe-sentinel should wait, before he/she is leaping into his death again.
  • You should also consider, if the current moment is the best for stealth rezzing. Maybe there is a better situation later in the fight, when there is no need for a second healer, a second tank or a fourth DPS? However, don't wait too long, because sometimes, quick help is needed. DPS aren't good at tanking bosses, a single healer would sometimes run into problems, when he has to keep the group up for a longer period of time. Don't wait too long, but also don't act over-hastily.

Oh, and to top it up, you have to consider those things very fast. The window for a stealth rez is very small. A stealth rez is worth everytime, when the raid cannot beat the boss without the dead person. Better give it a try, instead of making an appointment with the enrage-timer. It is also worth trying, when it has no negative effect, when it doesn't work, but when you can possibly save the combat rez for later use (e.g. Draxus between phases, when just a subteroth is left).

So, now you are ready to cloak. Are you? No, there are some more things to consider, that would pull you back in combat: You have to avoid several interactions between you and something (a member of your team or an enemy) that is in combat.

• As mentioned before, you have to be aware of what happens next. Any raid-wide-AoE would pull you back in combat. Also, any AoE's that can appear withing the area, where the dead person is, would stop your attempt to revive someone.
  • Any guard, that you give someone or that you receive will pull you back into combat.
  • Any of your Dots on the boss will pull you back into combat.
  • Any of your Hots on someone in your raid team will pull you back into combat.
  • Wandering Ment and Progressive Scan from your healers will put you back into combat.
  • Anyone else, that reenters combat, while you are out of combat, will pull you back into it.
  • Any other healing, that is put on you, won't pull you back into combat! So, don't shout "No healing!!!111oneeleven".

Everything, that you do good or bad to someone or something, that is in combat would pull you back into it. Also, everything bad, that is affecting your health bar, would pull you back into combat.

When you consider all these points, a stealth rez would go through. However, there is also some magic effect, that sometimes pulls you back into combat without any noticeable reason. This happens sometimes, but is often used due to missing knowledge of the things mentioned above. I would be glad about any information about other reasons, why stealth rezzes can fail.

All in all, I hope, this wall of text will help some raids to not slash-stuck, when hope is still alive. Nothing is lost, until every option is used. A stealth rez is possible in every boss fight, that is currently ingame.

So, have a succesful raid and happy stealth-rezzing!

Edited by Exocor

Thank you for the effort, I'm sure this will be very helpful.

When you consider all these points, a stealth rez would go through. However, there is also some magic effect, that sometimes pulls you back into combat without any noticeable reason. This happens sometimes, but is often used due to missing knowledge of the things mentioned above. I would be glad about any information about other reasons, why stealth rezzes can fail.

Maybe a month ago, Olok: one dead healer near the elevator door below, shields up and no combat happening. I'm (assassin) already out of combat as it happens often there in between adds when stealthing out rotationally. I go for the rez (I'm miles away from everybody and nobody was doing anything anyway all waiting for the next adds to become killable) and I'm immediately pulled back into combat. I figure I messed up something. Next shield I make sure to check everything (no guard, which I sometimes forget about, no hots and most certainly no dots as I was playing deception) and try again. Again failure. I wish I had been recording because I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Thank you for the effort, I'm sure this will be very helpful.

Maybe a month ago, Olok: one dead healer near the elevator door below, shields up and no combat happening. I'm (assassin) already out of combat as it happens often there in between adds when stealthing out rotationally. I go for the rez (I'm miles away from everybody and nobody was doing anything anyway all waiting for the next adds to become killable) and I'm immediately pulled back into combat. I figure I messed up something. Next shield I make sure to check everything (no guard, which I sometimes forget about, no hots and most certainly no dots as I was playing deception) and try again. Again failure. I wish I had been recording because I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Did anyone buffs the group with its class-buffs? I didn't mentioned it in the thread, because I already had situations, where this did not pulled me back into combat, but sometimes it looks like it does so.

Did anyone buffs the group with its class-buffs? I didn't mentioned it in the thread, because I already had situations, where this did not pulled me back into combat, but sometimes it looks like it does so.

I think I would have noticed it at least the second time as I was paying extra attention but it's a better explanation than a quirk of the game as I hate blaming those :)

What you forget in your list of what brings you back in: Adds spawning. You said it above but forgot it below. Maybe take it in?

And for mentioning purpose. On more or less every boss encounter is at least a six second window for e stealth rez. you just need to find it!

Hello all!

So, the first question is: What is a stealth rez? Every player has an ability, called "Revive" at their Skill-window under the category "general". This ability has no cooldown on healing-classes. On other classes, it has a roughly 16 minutes CD. I would suggest to put it onto one of your bars, somewhere near your Holostatue of Revan, your pyro-grenades or your priority transports. Usually, you don't need a keybind. Never use it with right-clicking at the dead bodie of your team member. With this ability, you can revive an allied player, as long, as you are out of combat. Yes, you can use it, while a boss-fight is going on. You just have to be out of combat.

so ur basicly telling people that the way it was done since the start of the game - right click on a dead body- doesnt work anymore?

because i have also asked in the past about this "feature" they recently (2 or 3 months ago i think) introduced - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926931

in any case if the way u stated works, i will work on this new way - i used to stelth rez many times - but after the "right click feature" it was impossible. (after exactly 2 secs i got into combat again)

many thx for the tip!

Edited by Threjyan

so ur basicly telling people that the way it was done since the start of the game - right click on a dead body- doesnt work anymore?

because i have also asked in the past about this "feature" they recently (2 or 3 months ago i think) introduced - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=926931

in any case if the way u stated works, i will work on this new way - i used to stelth rez many times - but after the "right click feature" it was impossible. (after exactly 2 secs i got into combat again)

many thx for the tip!

The fact that you are not able to steath rez......well..... :D

Anyway, I think I will stick to combat rez, there is just too many things to consider here :cool:

ooh, one thing to add, personal pet peeve when pugging: if the assassin/shadow in your group is playing deception/infiltration don't get annoyed if they don't rush to stealth rez as soon as someone dies. Deception uses force cloak rotationally so more often than not it'll be on cooldown and spamming "stealth rez!!!!!" in chat won't make it go any faster ;)

The fact that you are not able to steath rez......well..... :D

Anyway, I think I will stick to combat rez, there is just too many things to consider here :cool:

for real mero? ur you just talking without knowing what we are talking/discussing about?

u are aware stelth rez is broken right?

or please do teach me how u are still able to stelth rez in operations cause i simply cant do it anymore after they made us all enter in combat exactly at 2 seconds when right clicking some dead player. please do share your wisdom.

ooh, one thing to add, personal pet peeve when pugging: if the assassin/shadow in your group is playing deception/infiltration don't get annoyed if they don't rush to stealth rez as soon as someone dies. Deception uses force cloak rotationally so more often than not it'll be on cooldown and spamming "stealth rez!!!!!" in chat won't make it go any faster ;)

or when operatives use the disapearing act as a part to trigger an tactical advantage ;)

but mostly, im concerned that stelth rez is broken.

for real mero? ur you just talking without knowing what we are talking/discussing about?

u are aware stelth rez is broken right?

or please do teach me how u are still able to stelth rez in operations cause i simply cant do it anymore after they made us all enter in combat exactly at 2 seconds when right clicking some dead player. please do share your wisdom.

This. There can be absolutely nothing going on - no HoTs, no DoTs, no Guard, no Buffs, no raid-wide damage, no add spawns - and stealth rez will still fail exactly two seconds into the cast. I've yet to see anyone explain how they get around this : (

many thx for the tip!

I don't say, that it doesn't work via right-click. However, it happens to me more then one time, that my character started using basic attack (it is normally keybinded at right-ckick) instead of started rezzing.

In general, I often heard about the 2-second-problem mentioned in some posts, but it happens very rarely to me. On Tuesday, I rezzed a healer at C-Zero, DF NiM. Yesterday, I was able to rez a DPS at Hateful and another DPS at Raptus HM. I identified the Guard as a problem. As soon as I put it off, I only got interupted very very rarely.

Edited by Exocor

and guess what. i finally managed to do a stelth rez yesterday, using the op sugestion. :)

I was able to stealth rez a few times in Eyeless yesterday, finally (lol 22min fight in HM16). One attempt failed at the two second mark with no damage taken or heals received. One other attempt failed because a healer bubbled me mid-cast. Got 3-4 stealth rezzes off without issue, though.

I'm gonna need to do some more testing, though. Like I said, it did fail once with no apparent reason for the failure. I'd like to take more shots at it in a fight where no adds spawn and there are only two healers in the op - both in voice - so they can keep their bubbles off me when I'm doin' the thing : )

I was able to stealth rez a few times in Eyeless yesterday, finally (lol 22min fight in HM16). One attempt failed at the two second mark with no damage taken or heals received. One other attempt failed because a healer bubbled me mid-cast. Got 3-4 stealth rezzes off without issue, though.

I'm gonna need to do some more testing, though. Like I said, it did fail once with no apparent reason for the failure. I'd like to take more shots at it in a fight where no adds spawn and there are only two healers in the op - both in voice - so they can keep their bubbles off me when I'm doin' the thing : )

Yeah, the 2-second-thing is strange. We had several situations within the last days. Our other stealthers weren't able to finish a single revive. I were able to reproduce it, in a situation, when I did not had the time to remove the guard. And then it ends exactly at the 2-second-mark. Maybe, it's not just a guard between you and someone else, but any guard, that is actively given while the revive is in progress.

It maybe also have something to do with debuffs on a certain target, that are falling of, while the rez is casting. It's also possible, that a debuff, that gets triggered (e.g. a tank-debuff, that reduces the mr-damage-output, gets triggered by the target shooting with his blaster), is forcing you back into combat. I'll try to keep an eye on this in our next raids, by placing a debuff on an active target and then trying to stealth out and rez.

mine failed in ravagers after getting rid of Cora and the bird before moving to the next part. waited for all the probes to fall off and no one in group even moved while i was doing it and it still failed for no reason :rak_02:

Because it's broken.

Seriously, while the OP isn't wrong, it's all useless info atm. Sometimes it simply doesn't work since 5.0. Perfectly valid rezes fail for no reason at exactly 2 seconds into the cast.

There's only so much that pulls you into combat in an instanced area: Dealing damage, taking damage, healing others(including roaming mend, since the heal bouncing off of you counts as you healing someone), adds spawning. That's it. Nothing to do with guard or buffs or anything else. Especially since these kind of things could be seen in a log. They aren't. In the instances where this happens, there's not even a "entering combat" logged anywhere.

Edit: To quote KBN on this, who probably has more understanding on the game mechanics than most other players combined:

[...]

Things to keep in mind while stealth rezing:

• Healing someone (e.g. with a latent HoT) will pull you back into combat
  • Dealing damage (e.g. with a latent DoT) will pull you back into combat
  • Someone else healing you will NOT pull you back into combat
  • Someone using a "bouncy" heal (Wandering Mend is the worst here, but Successive Treatment can also qualify sometimes) that hits you will pull you into combat
  • Someone using Force Armor on you will generally pull you into combat
  • If you're a shadow, someone else stepping into your Phase Walk will pull you into combat
  • If your guard target takes damage or deals damage, you will be pulled back into combat
  • AoEs will pull you into combat (duh)
  • Bizarre, invisible, debuff-changing effects (like Walkabout) will often pull you into combat
  • Applying raid buffs will generally pull you into combat, though not always
  • New NPCs entering the fight will pull you into combat (note that many mechanics that don't look like NPCs are actually counted as such invisibly by the game)
  • Dealing damage by reflect (basically, the Vanguard AoE taunt utility) will pull you back into combat
  • Sometimes, the mere application of the reflect by your friendly neighborhood vanguard will pull you back into combat

[...]

The only save way around this bug seems to be to not right click the corpse but targeting it and using the skill manually.

Edited by Torvai

The only save way around this bug seems to be to not right click the corpse but targeting it and using the skill manually.

Note that my 3-4 successful stealth rezzes in Eyeless the other day were all done with the actual 'Revive' skill on my quickbar. I did used to just right click the body, but someone (I think in this thread) said that may be an issue, so now I'm trying to use the actual Revive skill explicitly.

the 2secs thinggie is still broken. i only manage to rez with the skill on the taskbar. and when that enters on cooldown, the right click option brakes at 2 secs cast.

yesterday i did a stelth rez on karaga in middle of fire, aoes, tuneling driling and it seems to me the skill "revive" from general seem to be superior, (didnt put me into combat), then right click, or i got really lucky tbh.

Edited by Threjyan

for what is worth I can confirm this...2 identical situations on Dread Guards, clicking on the body failed, using the revive skill on the quickbar worked. Other Sin also successfully stealth rezzed (yeah too many people dying :D) by using the skill on the quickbar. I've put it front and center now but clearly something is wrong.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've only recently started getting back into group content and I've started to struggle with this. It has happened perhaps two or three separate times in different Flashpoints, but even with twin cloak, I keep getting tagged back into the fight about a second into rezzing the fallen player. The only reason I feel like something is off is that the first time around, I can stealth, approach the fallen player, and start to rez before being tagged again, but if I then re-stealth and start to rez immediately, I still get tagged at about a second into the cast. That it has happened so uniformly at drastically different times has made it feel less like random bad luck and more like they've added something to FP's to prevent stealth rezzing?

Of course, it could be my teammates tagging me without me noticing, maybe I had a stray guard up, maybe there was a mechanic I missed, I've not properly tested it. I've just noticed the past few days whilst playing and when I saw this thread I thought it a good place to get some input. :

Edit: I have, like a smart person, just read the previous comments made on this page of the thread and like a smart person, found my answer. The power of reading, kids! :jawa_redface:

Edited by Lucas_Sorrell
I'm silly.