Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca
09.01.2014 , 12:48 PM | #781
Quote: Originally Posted by dr_mike View Post
Didn't know you were a forum moderator.

Not that we actually have any here....
So true.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

Tech_Greek
09.09.2014 , 11:41 AM | #782
I have an issue on 1080p with the save and close button not being able to be shown (it's because I'm on my 60" big screen for HTPC so DPI Scaling is at 120%~).

I tried disabling DPI scaling with the flag in program shortcut but that didn't work, eventually I figured out if you moved the task bar from the bottom of the screen to the left and back you could see the buttons.

This allowed me to save and enter the game which produced horrible FPS in comparison to the normal 100 FPS I was getting in areas. I unchecked the DPI Scaling flag and all back to normal plus a little bit faster of load times.

I've got RAID 0 SSD so I didn't expect too much of a gain but it has helped in some areas with the random drops (100 FPS then down to 60-70 FPS then back up).

I would recommend making the program sizable or movable even with the settings dropped down by grabbing anywhere in the program.

My only other recommendation would be more preset buttons for the areas. Some things are probably not obvious to computer savvy people.

Overall thank you! I've recommended this to everyone and it's helped everyone so far!

exca
09.09.2014 , 06:23 PM | #783
Quote: Originally Posted by Tech_Greek View Post
I would recommend making the program sizable or movable even with the settings dropped down by grabbing anywhere in the program.

My only other recommendation would be more preset buttons for the areas. Some things are probably not obvious to computer savvy people.

Overall thank you! I've recommended this to everyone and it's helped everyone so far!
1- You can actually move the settings window by left clicking in its background, holding the left button and moving. Is that enough for your need? PS : You can also drag and drop the main window the same way when no subwindow is opened.

2- The thing is, unless some people take the time to actually measure the benefits of individual assets, it can't be said. Looking at people tryouts, I would say that surprisingly maybe, it's faster to put only DiskArena+LocalApp+FX+Dynamics+100Mb than puting more assets in the ramdrive. By the way I pay about 5min a month actually, so I'm not that much into heavy changes to the code.

3- Thanks, happy it helped you even with a RAID 0 SSD
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis

Heat-Wave
09.09.2014 , 07:09 PM | #784
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
You lack knowledge. A SSD is a lot slower than RAM. So your statement is wrong. So you are wrong.
When it comes to real time exchanges needed to display frames, every bottleneck removal matters.
Facts.
Yes, a SSD is many times slower than RAM... but this doesn't mean it impacts performance of the game all that much.

Since I've loaded the game into RAM and since I have one of the best SSDs on the market, I can say the difference between the two is very minor indeed...

Heat-Wave
09.09.2014 , 07:17 PM | #785
1- Since you didn't use Unleashed, please don't talk like if you diid since it can mislead people. Even if you know how to do it manually... Though I doubt you did it all without unleashed since no script was released that added nearly all the assets... You had a lot of courage if you made it all by hand. Hats.
I would imagine you must know what a symbolic link in Windows is.

I simply did manually what you are doing for the user, I created a 24GB RAM drive and moved 23GB of the game's files there and crated symbolic links to the files.

The game had no idea it was loading from RAM, that is the beauty of it.

4- That's irrelevant since it's not made at all to speed up loading times as stated in the original post which.... you didn't read... of course.
Then the program serves no purpose for me, since the rest of the game is very fast. The only thing I am waiting for is loading screens.

As for the rest of the game, I suspect that most users would be well served by simply replacing their boot drive with a SSD and making sure that SWTOR is running from that.

A SSD is not as fast as RAM, but it is good enough. It sure beats the pants off a HDD.

It isn't transfer rate that makes the difference, it is seek time and IOPS that makes the difference, and the improvement there is 3 or more orders of magnitude over a HDD.

I said it dozen of times.... I'll say it again : SWTOR Unleashed reduces FPS drops! (and sometimes raise your max fps and/or allow you to use at the same speed higher resolution textures depending on your computer)
That sounds nice... but you are missing a few key points in saying that you need a better disclaimer, since your program can't make the rest of the computer faster. What it can do is reduce the need to draw from mass storage, but it can't make your graphics card faster.

If you're running on Intel Graphics, then your experience is going to be pretty lousy, no matter what you do.

So to the average user reading this, do a Google Search for "windows symbolic link" and read up on that, or just use the program provided here if you wish, they are doing the same basic thing.

Better yet, get a SSD and a better video card.

Heat-Wave
09.09.2014 , 07:21 PM | #786
The thing is SWTOR Unleashed causes no harm. It's just a rumor from Klarick
But as I said, if anyone wants to do better, feel free. Who would spend hundred of hours for the others for free when you end up being spit on by people unhappy in their lifes with nothing better to do than trolling you for free? I did. I'm proud of my work and I seriously think some people should get a life.
Don't get me wrong, I don't care much about Klarick, I received so many thanks from hundreds of people, I perfectly know how well I did.
Why would you spend hundreds of hours on this?

A program to do this should take about 30 minutes to write and another hour or two to test, at least for a few machines that you should have sitting around for testing. The fun part is taking bug reports and trying to figure out why it doesn't work on X or Y computer and it works fine on all of yours.

exca
09.10.2014 , 05:21 PM | #787
Quote: Originally Posted by Heat-Wave View Post
Yes, a SSD is many times slower than RAM... but this doesn't mean it impacts performance of the game all that much.

Since I've loaded the game into RAM and since I have one of the best SSDs on the market, I can say the difference between the two is very minor indeed...
You just don't know it. It depends on each person computer. You make big assumptions. Face it. A lot of people reported nice improvements.

exca
09.10.2014 , 05:48 PM | #788
@Heat-Wave

Well too bad you didn't take the time to think or read before manually doing dozens of links manually for nothing.

I suggest you to try thinking again about our reasonings. I will help you :
- I say : hey dude, you have some ram and want a faster game for free? Try SWTOR Unleashed.
- You say : hey dude, you want a faster game? Go buy yourself another computer, ssd or whatever.

Do you see the problem? You just state an obvious truth : buying a faster computer is speeding up softwares.... How does that help anyone to maximize the use of ANY computer? It just doesn't. Don't think it's smart to know that, since anyone does know that. It's why it's useless to state it and out of subject regarding this entire thread.
If you want to make usefull comments, try to find ways to improve the game speed WITHOUT any hardware change.

I don't need to put any obvious/useless disclaimer for people who don't read the original post since they won't read any disclaimer either and since they are the only disrespectful ones to whine about free food. Most people read what is written, download, use and just play happily.

exca
09.10.2014 , 06:01 PM | #789
Quote: Originally Posted by Heat-Wave View Post
Why would you spend hundreds of hours on this?

A program to do this should take about 30 minutes to write and another hour or two to test, at least for a few machines that you should have sitting around for testing. The fun part is taking bug reports and trying to figure out why it doesn't work on X or Y computer and it works fine on all of yours.
Ah ah ah, you're funny.

Fine, if it's that quick to do, why don't you try to do it, without copying my work?
I give you 5 days which should be more than enough to prove your sayings.
We'll all be happy to see the result of your work.
But there's a problem.... the same Klarick probably faced.... the truth is it takes dozen of hours to do at least (unless you hardcode it all and it doesn't work with new files). I gave Klarick quite some time... and as of today there is just no result....

I'm quite doubtful you will ever produce anything working. Feel free to prove me wrong. Feel free to spend your lifetime for others. Show me how slow I was spending that much time.
I am watching eyes wide open

And don't forget to make it evolving automatically with new versions of the game. And to be able to select what files you want or not. Andif you want to go one step further, to be "game's updates" proof. Also try to use another ramdrive than the one we used (since just in itself it took quite some time to POC and compare to other products).

Tech_Greek
09.10.2014 , 07:16 PM | #790
1- You can actually move the settings window by left clicking in its background, holding the left button and moving. Is that enough for your need? PS : You can also drag and drop the main window the same way when no subwindow is opened.

2- The thing is, unless some people take the time to actually measure the benefits of individual assets, it can't be said. Looking at people tryouts, I would say that surprisingly maybe, it's faster to put only DiskArena+LocalApp+FX+Dynamics+100Mb than puting more assets in the ramdrive. By the way I pay about 5min a month actually, so I'm not that much into heavy changes to the code.

3- Thanks, happy it helped you even with a RAID 0 SSD
When you're in the settings menu the rest of the program becomes immune to being clicked except for the attributes (that was my first instinct and attempt).

I actually took a screenshot of each setting on load into each zone doing before and after of what my settings are now. I understand I wouldn't want to invest more than that in a free utility.

I own an IT Consulting company so I've got a lot of experience in this field, especially in dealing with symbolic links in server environments. The fact of the matter is the program runs fine, every time. I've yet to curse the program (minus the DPI scaling issue but that's niche thing I'm sure).

Well done! As far as anyone else doing it, it's free. Go for it, competition only improves things...except for anti-virus.