So, how would YOU handle Carrie Fisher's/Princess Leia's death in future movies?

Lunafox

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that they should handle it off camera or with a brief CGI scene myself, but the recast worked for Dumbledore when Richard Harris died after Chamber of Secrets and had to be replaced by Michael Gambon because there were another five films left. I don't think Dumbledore is any less central to the Harry Potter Wizarding World than Leia is to the Star Wars galaxy*. Personally, I think Last Jedi was the best performance (excepting voice acting) for both Fisher and Hammil, so at least they are going out on a high note. There's enough of Leia (and Holdo) grooming Poe Dameron to be the next leader of the Resistance to facilitate his transition from reckless hotshot pilot to leader in the final film. I think there's going to be a lot of time that passes between Ep 8 and 9, time needed to build up the Resistance again. So, its pretty understandable, if unsatisfying, that General Leia would die in that time. No one will be happy no matter what they do.

*EDIT: to the SW galaxy AT THIS POINT, as in the time of Episodes 7-9... obviously she was more central to 4-6.

Edited by phalczen

I think they could say, she was more heart broken over Hans death than she let on. Add that her Own Son was the one to kill his father, Her Life time Friend & at least one time Lover. Was too much for her heart and add the death of her brother, Luke in on that death toll. Leia Passed in her sleep of a complete and utter broken heart.

Just like Carries real life mother went after her daughters passing.

After all Leia has been through. I think a peaceful death is what she deserves after hours of suffering lost.

Rest In Peace Carrie/Leia, You will always be a Princess in any Galaxy where your spirit rests....

Wishing you all Good Health & Peace.....

Oh lord, please don't recast her. It would totally take me out of the movie. The Darth Vader recasting has irked me to no end and I wasn't even born yet when the original trilogy came out.

I wouldn't mind yellow text and the movie starting with a funeral. The explosion Episode 8 was a missed chance to bring her character arc to an end, since Kylo Ren would have felt responsible for her death in some way, but oh well, they couldn't have known. :(

Oh lord, please don't recast her. It would totally take me out of the movie. The Darth Vader recasting has irked me to no end and I wasn't even born yet when the original trilogy came out.

I wouldn't mind yellow text and the movie starting with a funeral. The explosion Episode 8 was a missed chance to bring her character arc to an end, since Kylo Ren would have felt responsible for her death in some way, but oh well, they couldn't have known. :(

Personally, I'd be satisfied with text and her funeral as well. If they need more I'd rather the cgi route than recast. I can't stomach a recast either, no matter who it is.

• 3 weeks later...
I suspect they're going to kill her off screen. I just don't see how they can do anything else and not risk massive fan outrage.

Oh, honey.

This is Star Wars; whatever they do, there'll be massive fan outrage. Tweets will be tweeted, flounces will be flounced, childhoods will be ruined. Massive screeds will be written and disgruntled fans will post them to ever corner of the net, no matter what decisions are made by the people actually telling the story.

All they can really do is tell the story they want to tell, make it the best one they can, and brace for the inevitable wailing from people whose headcanon it doesn't mesh with. It's been this way since TESB.

• 2 weeks later...
They can break the 4th wall and go on about how Force Awakens was so horrible it caused Carrie Fisher to get cancer two times over and pass through time and space with enough force to affect Princess Leia with it too to the point where even her Power of Grayskull trick would not work.