"A connection error has occurred"...EVERY TIME!

skarvika

Second time this week I am unable to log in. The game takes me to the server selection screen, I choose my server and boom: A connection error has occurred.

I've tried all the recommended 'tricks' like deleting the Bitraider folder, repairing the launcher, etc and nothing. First time this happened I had to reinstall the game completely but I'm really trying to avoid doing that because that took 18 hours (seemed like the launcher capped my download speed at a measly 512kbps). I've been subbed for about a week and this could potentially have me missing 3-4 days of game time.

Is there any way whatsoever to fix this without having to do a clean reinstall?:rak_02:

Also, occasionally it'll give me a "The server is busy" message which I know is a heaping pile of bantha poodoo as the population is LIGHT, I have login priority as a sub and there's no maint happening.

Edited by skarvika

Ensure both launcher.exe and swtor.exe (both) are in the exception lists for the antivirus and firewall

ESET - disable protocol filtering

Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections

Norton's (firewall) - set exceptions to "allow" not "auto" (auto blocks on occasion)

Edited by OwenBrooks

Ensure both launcher.exe and swtor.exe (both) are in the exception lists for the antivirus and firewall

ESET - disable protocol filtering

Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections

Norton's (firewall) - set exceptions to "allow" not "auto" (auto blocks on occasion)

Tried this, nothing. BUT I HAVE A FIX!

I just got off the phone with customer support, apparently I needed to restart my router. Strange fix since there was no problem with my internet, everything has been loading fine, but I guess there was some kind of unexplainable snag concerning my router and SWTOR, but I'm back in game after the restart.

Phew, didn't want to have to cancel, I like the sub features!

Edited by skarvika

Glad to hear this is sorted , this type of issue is usually one of communication , it can be the router on occasion as you found.

this isn't the best place to post unless just reporting a bug as there is no reply here, if any thing else crops up create a thread here

Yeah, was about to try that, saw a guy was having the same issue as me a couple days ago so maybe I'll go tell him about what fixed it for me.

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem with my laptop at the moment. It was working fine yesterday, but I've since had the connection error message.

So far I've done the following steps: restart the computer, ensure firewall exceptions for laucher.exe and swtor.exe, reset/rebooted the router. Your help would be much appreciated.

Does anyone use Norton 360 btw? not sure how to safely navigate exceptions for that program, and I don't want to deactivate that firewall either.