Need = BoP || Greed = BoL

Deewe

Short version: make items how it binds be determined on how it was rolled on.

Long version:

• Need = BoP that you can only use on your character
    • Can't use it on companions
    • Can't use it on alts
    • Can't remove mods or eventually can only move them to the same character.
    • Can't sell it

[*]Greed = BoL

An option is to make BoL, once used, stuck to the character and its alts it has been used on.

Long term, there could be in game systems to unbind gear to allow one transfer between alts.

Finally the system could also be made that you can't need if your equipped gear has a higher rating than the looted one

--- ---

Then but for gear it should be made that if anybody needs and you already cast a greed vote you are prompted a need/greed again.

What you think?

Edited by Deewe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting part is it's as hard to dismiss their post as the effort they put not to bring a constructive opinion.

What is there to bring up?

I could be wrong but last week or so, we had three threads pertaining Legacy gear running simultaneously(!!!) and how people wanted to look dandy with the least amount of effort evolved, preferably in a manner that didn't involve credit sinks.

You're looking for a reprise it would seem.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• Need = BoP that you can only use on your character, not on companions, even less on alts.
  • Greed = BoL

An option is to make BoL, once used, stuck to the character and its alts it has been used.

Long term, there could be in game systems to unbind gear to allow one transfer between alts.

What you think?

Why would we determine need/greed based on how the item binds?

Just because something binds to legacy doesn't make it any less valuable or needed...

Plus... you can put any Character Bound items on your companions

Would it really help though? I like the idea, but it would be exploited and change nothing in most situations, as PuG groups tend to all go NEED.

Seeing people using Dread Forged and Dread Master needing on Arkanian and Underworld tokens will NEVER cease to amaze me. I don't even ask anymore.

At this stage, as far as PUGs are concerned, Bioware should just remove the "Greed" button altogether and "Pass"? Yeahhh, right.

Seeing people using Dread Forged and Dread Master needing on Arkanian and Underworld tokens will NEVER cease to amaze me. I don't even ask anymore.

At this stage, as far as PUGs are concerned, Bioware should just remove the "Greed" button altogether and "Pass"? Yeahhh, right.

EXACTLY! A button that says "LOOT!" and sparkles, that you need to click, would be better.

Why would we determine need/greed based on how the item binds?

Because the need would only be used because the character you are playing can actually benefits the use of the item. I mean stats wise obviously.

Just because something binds to legacy doesn't make it any less valuable or needed...

Right still the one rule with MMO is loot priority, especially in PUGS, goes to the character you are actually playing.

Plus... you can put any Character Bound items on your companions

True, the system would have to be tweaked server side.

Would it really help though? I like the idea, but it would be exploited and change nothing in most situations, as PuG groups tend to all go NEED.

Might be lucky, as on the RP PVE server I play 99% of the PuG players only need on up or if not they ask in chat if they can need for either the look or the stats for a companion, after everybody selected greed.

The way it could only be exploited is a player need for the item while it's not an up.

A system check can be done but then it could be more problematic than else. Although if it's not an up the player would be stuck with the item on his character, not even being able to pull off the mods but overwrite them.

Then there's the issue stats vs look.

So far the generally accepted rule it player roll is first based on stats then on look.

Unless they add a loot for look button, not much can be done for that.

Edited by Deewe

Whining when a fully geared person rolls for their alt doesn't actually make sense. Would you rather them bring their ungeared toon just to appease your MMO-whiner sensibilities, or have them bring their best toon to help make the raid go much smoother? It's a win-win situation if they just bring the better toon and roll for the other one. In fact it's even a sacrifice on their part, because they have to spend the credits to legacy the stuff over and lose out on comms which they might also need on the alt. But nooooooo, keep whining.

If the person has a dread master token head (186) and rolls need on an underworld head to give it to one of their other characters then there is nothing wrong with that. I used to get so annoyed when people complained about someone who hasn't won a token yet needing on something that isn't as good as what they are using. They can easily mail it to another character. If the item can't be mailed then I don't think they should need on it.

Right now I have a level 54 assassin. Would you rather me go on my level 55 sniper who is just a couple pieces away from being best in slot 186 or take my level 54 assassin who needs the gear? Groups that choose the latter usually finish the raid 4/5 with people dropping on the last boss in frustration while people who choose the better geared character finish the raid.

Many groups wouldn't even consider taking the level 54 because they don't want to carry. Yet they have no problem taking someone who has much better gear than them. Don't discriminate against the person just because the character they are on has good gear.

Whining when a fully geared person rolls for their alt doesn't actually make sense. Would you rather them bring their ungeared toon just to appease your MMO-whiner sensibilities, or have them bring their best toon to help make the raid go much smoother? It's a win-win situation if they just bring the better toon and roll for the other one. In fact it's even a sacrifice on their part, because they have to spend the credits to legacy the stuff over and lose out on comms which they might also need on the alt. But nooooooo, keep whining.

So you're saying everyone should roll need then?

It could work but most people won't like it for sure because you can't use companions in full groups

It's not a bad idea as an idea.

However I'll give you the answer you'll actually get: technically difficult

And this time I'd probably believe it. I doubt the system has the ability to change the binding of something based on a need/greed roll. I think it has to do with how the item was created in the first place. Though I'd be curious if there exists such a thing (changing the binding type after the item is created) in game already.

It's not a bad idea as an idea.

However I'll give you the answer you'll actually get: technically difficult

And this time I'd probably believe it. I doubt the system has the ability to change the binding of something based on a need/greed roll. I think it has to do with how the item was created in the first place. Though I'd be curious if there exists such a thing (changing the binding type after the item is created) in game already.

You are right, don't know how they coded it still they'd need to do something along changing the loot function so when it spawns a BoP item it will be "translated" automatically.

Now for the already looted items they can just keep them as bound to the character, it's the least effort and certainly the one that will please the players the most.

There some coding and DB changes for sure, but it could be done.

Or just keep things as they are and follow general MMO etiquette.

This is something pugs never follow, there is always someone that needs something they do not need.

They should make it like they said they would back in 2012 but that never happened.

Edited by Icestar

This is something pugs never follow, there is always someone that needs something they do not need.

They should make it like they said they would back in 2012 but that never happened.

Don't remember they said anything special about not having BoP or changing it.

The only thing I see is the lengthy discussions about how loot worked in other MMO where guild leaders would have to maintain participation lists for RAIDS and so.

Don't remember they said anything special about not having BoP or changing it.

Ask, and you shall recive

Frung: Have you considered adding a "companion" loot roll option?

Damion Schubert: We've discussed it and have a design for it - when we do this, we will make it so you can only roll 'need' on items that your advanced class is meant to use in one of its specs. I do not currently have an ETA on this feature.

It is one of the discussions regarding loot rolls, there are thousands of posts discussing how they should handle it.

The information and feedback regarding how loot is handled has been silent for years from their side now.

Edited by Icestar

So you're saying everyone should roll need then?

It could work but most people won't like it for sure because you can't use companions in full groups

I'm saying let people decide for themselves what to roll. And when you go into a group with a bunch of people you don't know, don't expect to win anything. If the gear matters that much to you, find a guild.

The only loot change I would accept for pugs is only allowing people to roll need until they win 1 item, then all of their rolls become greed automatically (or pass).