doing low on Engineering - have a look at my parse?

BanPearson

hello,

I'm doing as poorly on Marksmanship as anyone else I see on parsely; however in Engineering I am about as low as on Marksmanship, which is a surprise.

Parse: http://parsely.io/parser/view/138170/0 My expectation would be something like 5800 - 6000 in that gear, based on experience from other classes, but it's only 5240.

Gear: Average 218; 6-set bonus; a few flaws like crit relic and barely decent stat distribution. https://i.imgur.com/Q59wSuD.jpg The flaws don't explain why it is THAT bad, and they don't explain why it's not better than Marksmanship in the same gear!

Few notes:

• I don't use Covered Escape, because that is not often a good idea in the most serious boss fights
  • APM seem a bit low, not sure why
  • I'm doing well on my Carnage Marauder, which is new to me, while I've been playing Sniper since 2012

Edited by BanPearson

Hello there,

Don't really have the time for an in depth analysis atm but the biggest problem i see is your apm on first glance.

Just under 34 is just way too low considering your alacrity. You should be atleast looking at 38 imo.

Your rotation seems fine, maybe not perfect but fine. I was suprised at the low miss rate considering your gear but since you only missed 2% on corrosive dart that doesn't explain much. Either way, prioritise that accuracy.

I'll take a longer look when i have more time but yeah for me i'd say it's apm that's holding you back now.

Thanks for the feedback. You are right about the APM; that's certainly a big factor in what I'm doing wrong, maybe the biggest. I did a few parses focussing on it, and got it to over 36 with according DPS increase. I haven't figured out how not to waste milliseconds before and after the placed AOEs, without interrupting Series of Shots (can and should that be clipped like Ravage?).

Might be easier to do Plasma Probe before Series of Shots.

Based on quick looks since I'm at school right now (rip)

1) your apms are trash. That will just get better the more comfortable you get with the spec and class really

2) no shattered armor debuff? Idk how much damage that will increase but that will at least be some

3) you can be a lot more aggressive with energy than you are being. The great thing about engi is its ammo regen is amazing and you can be really aggressive with it and stil recover fairly easy.

Just a side tip , do a 1.5mil . 1 mil is just obsolete now. Also use your rolls. Your dummy parsing. I get people say "I want to be better for raid environments" but it's the exact same thing.

I'll look over more when I get home

Thanks to you as well! I wasn't aware that others use the shattered armor; that alone increases my DPS by about 700 (!). Combined with the APM-Tip I'm at 6100 DPS now, but still need better APM.

I'll apply the remaining advice in steps over the next few days, thanks to you both.

Current parse after your advice: http://parsely.io/parser/view/138310

Does the rotation change when the target is expected to die before DOTs (Interrogation-/Plasma Probe) tick out?

Damn yeah didn't notice that you didn't have the armor debuff module on the dummy. That's kinda required for parsing :). Secondly, as Tool said, do 1,5 mil. 1mil is completely meaningless in the current meta.

About interupting series of shot: can be done but risky. I do it a lot more with virulence parsing then engi for some reason. But yeah can be clipped as soon as you hear the last shot of series of shot going on. But honestly, just try double tapping plasma probe a bit earlier and make sure you have ability que sec to 1 sec or something close to that.

As for the energy thing that tool said: push it as hard as you can, just don't drop under 60% without energy cooldowns up or you'll rek it.