A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

Also, yeah, people deal with me, infact, we even steal guild members from other guilds.

Why? Because we have common sense and we know how to do things.

We teach others how to play and what they need to pay attention to.

We show them how to max their dps while still having fun and screwing around.

We also have a guild bank with tons of credits and items and crafting mats to help people craft new things.

We supply our own mods too from what we get to new members.

You don't need to believe me, or what anyone says because you live in your own world where everything must be spoon fed to you.

We work to achieve what we have now, we learn things the hard ways and we pay the price. We've ran dailies, heroics, hard modes, story modes, and even nightmare. Why? For the challenge? HA NO. For the loot.

Key word, we worked. MMO is about grinding, not fun. You want fun? Go somewhere else

We don't whine, we laugh it off and yell at ramino for fun (his reactions are the best)

And btw, I am the Guild Leader, and my guildmates love me.

If my guild leader would say something like that , he would not be my guild leader any longer.

I mean, this is ENTERTAINMENT. I pay for this to enjoy it, not to WORK on it. Full stop.

I have other work that I HAVE to do in order to pay my family bills, so I do not see ANY reason to be forced to do the same stuff all over again for months just to have +7 willpower or God Knows What other statistic.

To certain extent people who do those daillies/weeklies constantly must be somehow masochists.

I cannot see any other reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content forever.

Once you did finished something (i.e. beaten the full op, or FP), got your rewards, you're done.

Over.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with your "solution" is that everyone will be stuck wearing the same fugly end game gear that plenty of people hate so much to begin with :(

Sure it avoids the repair costs, but at the cost of being stuck in fugly gear. I know i worked really hard & spent lots of credits to find gear that i really liked wearing.

Yep. My 'Dread Scout' wearing slinger pays about 18k per wipe. But, my BH, in all low level orange shells pays about 6k per wipe.

So, the shell still seems to be a large factor.

Gunslinger in full Prototype Dread Scout

It's costly to look this good......

the problem with your "solution" is that everyone will be stuck wearing the same fugly end game gear that plenty of people hate so much to begin with :(

Sure it avoids the repair costs, but at the cost of being stuck in fugly gear. I know i worked really hard & spent lots of credits to find gear that i really liked wearing.

Yes, it is definitely not the solution I would prefer.

If Bioware would have just included the enhancements, as they claimed in the patch notes 1.7, repairs would have gone up by only 7-17%. That's the percentage range an enhancement contributes currently to the repair cost.

I think most people would have accepted that.

My solution is a band-aid at best, but at least it allows people to raid and do FPs without the sticker shock.

And you are right, it does come at the sacrifice of how your toon looks.

Alternatively of course, you could keep using your current gear and pay the significant higher repair costs.

Or you could stop PVE, save your credits and hope that BW will fix the problem - which they may or may not do.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath that they ever will.

I'll be honest, i have not read from the very beginning of this thread but from what i have been reading, it just seems like a lot of back and forth arguing between people who have different play styles and beliefs on how a company should be treating their customers. Now i know i am not the most educated person in this thread but i feel like should voice my concern/opinion to this new repair cost problem.

I was raiding imperial bases out of pure boredom today to take a break from all the daily grinding that this new event/patch has given to the SWTOR community. Ill admit its nice to see new content to work and strive for to increase game activity. It has brought me back to Voss, section X, illum, all these places i don't like visiting and grinding for creds just to make a decent living. I lived off just my PVP and hm dailies thru out the week since that is all i have time for.

But anyways, after silly, fun senseless deaths to put my mind at ease, my repair bill came out to 76k. that's a 50k increase to my usual max of 26k. i don't know if its a bug or not but prices like this has caused a major concern to me. i am a casual player and there are times i like to play by myself. To pay a repair bill like that by myself, that would take a solid 30-45 min of daily grinding just to pay off that price and have a cushion for safety. I only got 2hrs of game play a night, why would i want to spend half of it to just stay ahead of the repair curve?

A solution i will most likely hear from more active players is play another character, stop playing, or deal with it and survive. That is easier to say when you carry 10mil in your pocket, I like the way i was playing the game before the patch and people shouldn't have to constantly shift their gaming tactics just to keep up with the economic curve in this game. everything was working fine before, so why mess that up? I will never be as good or have time to be as good as the hardcore MMO players i play with but changes like this, it makes it almost damn near impossible for the new guys starting out to achieve that kind of economic standing

its really late and I am exhausted and just realizing i am just rambling senselessly. i hope i made some point across that this problem is a bad one and it needs to be fixed.

For somer reason, I imagine any response to the current disparity between repair costs of items based on the shell is going to involve just bumping everything up to the 20k-a-death that people in Dread Guard gear are currently suffering.

That, or just unrelenting silence. Hard to tell which I'd consider more likely.

Edited by Bleeters

Looking fugly or saving creds....I wanna save creds.

Or you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about. which is much more likely.

I've done numerous tests on my low level characters and yes I can state catagorically that levelling through the game is not impacted by this change, believe it or be a sheep, I don't care.

Having had 8 Months away from the game , I'm sure my repair bill is actually lower now than when I stopped playing. I raided regularly, numerous wipes yeah and we paid more for the repairs.

Back then there were fewer dalies to do, but we used to group up as a guild and do a few of the Heroic. Anyone who has gone out and done their dailies as a group will know it can take about 20 minutes to do the whole of Section X!

Guild leaders if you are having problems with Guild funds set up Daily Events in your guild, have groups complete the dailies and have them donate 10% of the Creds earned to the Guild Bank, this will be enough for your repair bills and will create closer ties within your guild.

Instead of moaning People could adapt and work together to over come.

For the People who are going to say I don't get time! you get time to raid so raid with a group a different Daily section every other day, it will be something different ,to the same old raid!

Wow. I mean just .. Wow.

I cannot believe those that defend this price increase. Pointing out that something was worse 10 months ago does not mean it's ok for them to "fix" the repair costs now. The game had finally caught momentum again, then this...

Most recent personal example: helped two relatively new guild players do LI caused 4 wipes and cost me 90k. We are casual players. I do BH and Section-X once or twice a week. I can't afford this if it keeps going.

To all those who think that people with 63 pieces should have a higher repair cost : sorry but you're WRONG !

Why ? As simple as that :

Daylies in section X, Black Hole or Ilum don't give you more money if you're in 61 or 63's compare to tionese or rakata.

So why on earth do you think that it's fair to have bigger repair bills just because you have 63's ?

it'll lead to the same problem that we're against... you 'll have to grind more than others just to cover your repair cost.

Just make the thing simple : put a fix repair cost based on your level and that's it.

More seriously... the only way to have it fair is if Bioware make all 61 and 63 pieces durability higher than any lower level pieces : so the higher your armor pieces the higher your durability.. and repair bill.

But right now they don't make any difference, or if they do it's broken, on whatever armor pieces you have and all repair bills are way too high.

Should 63's have the same repair cost as 2's? Should campaign gear have the same repair costs the gear you start in? After all, those dailies you mentioned don't give more credits if you're in campaign gear than they would if you were in starting gear.

Repair gear should be based on the level of the gear, not the player. With moddable gear that means it should be based on the level and value of the item modifications, but not the level or value of the shell. Purple 15's should cost more to repair than blue 15's and purple 63's should cost more to repair than purple 61's. It should not cost more to repair a purple campaign shell with all 63's than to repair a level 15 orange shell with those same 63's.

If my guild leader would say something like that , he would not be my guild leader any longer.

I mean, this is ENTERTAINMENT. I pay for this to enjoy it, not to WORK on it. Full stop.

I have other work that I HAVE to do in order to pay my family bills, so I do not see ANY reason to be forced to do the same stuff all over again for months just to have +7 willpower or God Knows What other statistic.

To certain extent people who do those daillies/weeklies constantly must be somehow masochists.

I cannot see any other reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content forever.

Once you did finished something (i.e. beaten the full op, or FP), got your rewards, you're done.

Over.

So, you run an OP or HM FP once? I cannot see any reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content.

It's for the rewards you get, you say? That gear that drops in those OP's and HM FP's is your reward for mindlessly beating the same content you've already beaten? Guess what. Those credits you get for doing those dailies are you reward for mindlessly beating that same content which you've already beaten.

The thing about those credits is that while dailies may be the most efficient to earn credits, they are by no means the ONLY way to earn them. There are plenty of ways to earn credits. Some of them can be even done, or at least mostly accomplished, while doing the "fun" stuff.

Defenders of the increased repair cost keep forgetting one crucial thing.

People want to play Star Wars. Star Wars.

Not Grind Wars; not Trade Wars. If they wanted to play Grind Wars, they'd be playing D3. If they wanted to play Trade Wars, they'd be playing GW2. But they don't. They want to play Star Wars, and want to do it without having to worry about in-game money. Especially when some of them have to worry about RL money too.

Edited by slafko

Not Grind Wars; not Trade Wars. If they wanted to play Grind Wars, they'd be playing D3. If they wanted to play Trade Wars, they'd be playing GW2. But they don't. They want to play Star Wars, and want to do it without having to worry about in-game money. Especially when some of them have to worry about RL money too.

Should we give everyone everything for free? That way no one has to worry about in-game money. Everybody can just run around waving their glow sticks and playing Star Wars. That would be kind of ridiculous, wouldn't it? So why is it ridiculous for players to actually do something to earn credits?

Should we give everyone everything for free? That way no one has to worry about in-game money. Everybody can just run around waving their glow sticks and playing Star Wars. That would be kind of ridiculous, wouldn't it? So why is it ridiculous for players to actually do something to earn credits?

I'm sorry, did you quote my post by accident?

Wow. I mean just .. Wow.

I cannot believe those that defend this price increase. Pointing out that something was worse 10 months ago does not mean it's ok for them to "fix" the repair costs now. The game had finally caught momentum again, then this...

Most recent personal example: helped two relatively new guild players do LI caused 4 wipes and cost me 90k. We are casual players. I do BH and Section-X once or twice a week. I can't afford this if it keeps going.

They defend anything EA does. I don't know why.

Between 1.2 (repair cost decrease) and 1.7, none of them ever submitted a bug report or made a forum post saying, "OMG the repair costs are too LOW! Fix it NOW!"

And of all the bugs that exist that make the game suck for people and people complain about, EA "fixed" a "bug" that makes things worse for everybody who plays the PvE game and that nobody in 10+ months ever complained about?

Who at EA is thinking about what they're doing and why they do it and how it affects players and the game? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

It's like they're telling us to GolfTangoFoxtrotOscar. *shrug* Maybe we should.

Edited by DarthTHC

In the big picture: this is a game. In my opinion, it's a great game. We shouldn't limit ANYONE who wants to play the game. If people can't play as often as they'd like because of a simple change like this, I don't see how you can condone that. The game should never work against itself in letting people enjoy it.

Right now you're limiting my ability to play a game that I like, and I'm paying for.

"Hey, Bioware, remember when you fought against your subscribers before and half of them unsubbed and this great game became the biggest flop in Video Game history overnight and it still hasn't recovered? Maybe stop doing that?" - Just now in my guild's voip.

Edited by Atownarmy

It's better than no solution / not playing the game for fear of repair costs. This is a good temporary solution until a patched solution comes out.

This is more less what's happening, in medical terms.

Really sick person comes in and asks for a cure. Doctor cures the person for free with a special cure and person returns to tip-top condition. Happy :)

Some time later doctor decides that people are well enough and starts spreading a virus around, not as bad as the one that there used to be, but bad enough so that people would start buying the cure for it in order to not have their wellness and lifestyle disrupted by the virus.

Cartel Coin Weapon/Armor Repair Kits - To cure your sickness from expensive repairs!

It's better than no solution / not playing the game for fear of repair costs. This is a good temporary solution until a patched solution comes out.

You assume they're going to change it, that it's temporary.

All they've said about it is:

• It's a "fix" for a "bug".
  • They're looking into it.

If you haven't been conditioned to being disappointed in EA, then you haven't been playing their games long enough.

"Hey, Bioware, remember when you fought against your subscribers before and half of them unsubbed and this great game became the biggest flop in Video Game history overnight and it still hasn't recovered? Maybe stop doing that?" - Just now in my guild's voip.

That's awesome.

Edited by DarthTHC

You assume they're going to change it, that it's temporary.

All they've said about it is:

• It's a "fix" for a "bug".
  • They're looking into it.

If you haven't been conditioned to being disappointed in EA, then you haven't been playing their games long enough.

That's awesome.

You have made me sad with this negative and yet completely true statement. :(

The game is so good and the team working on it is brilliant and yet so many awful decisions are being made you wonder if Produce Jon Peters is in charge. All we need now is a giant spider in the third act.

Edited by Elfa

You have made me sad with this negative and yet completely true statement. :(

I'm sorry. I'm trying to love this game. Really I am. It's just so much fun to play and has so many features no other MMO does. It's a great point from which to build.

But if EA keeps kicking me in the junk whenever I play it, it's going to be hard for me to keep going. Asheron's Call 2 was similar for me. I tried hard to like that game. Lots of sack-kicking later, I unsubbed and a few months later the game was gone.

I don't want this game to be AC2. Why does EA?

(The guy in charge is the guy who ran WAR into the ground, if that helps explain things...)

Edited by DarthTHC

I'd love to play Trade Wars (2002). Anyone have a telnet link anywhere?

But, in reality, agreed.