The cartel market is sucking the fun out of this game

Soul_of_Flames

Incoming wall of text. Turn back now if you don't want to read it.

I can't be the only person who thinks this. And I realize I'm probably gonna get flamed for this.. but the way they do the cartel market sucks.

I'm all for having the cartel market. Don't get me wrong. But they handle it so poorly that it sucks the fun from the game.

Anything that's worth having in this game comes from the cartel market. Special armor, color crystals, mounts, pets, stafighters, weapons...

Now I know that everything "worth having" is also stuff that's cosmetic... but cosmetics are a major driving force behind why a lot of people play. Where is my proof? Look how successful the market is. That's my proof. People want this stuff. They want it enough to spend stupid amounts of money for them. Not a day goes by when I don't hear about some guy spending hundreds of dollars on hypercrates because they wanted some varactyle or something.

If people had to do missions, form groups, earn credits, or otherwise just play the damn game just to get that super awesome mount that's on the cartel market.. they'd do it! But why should they now when they can just spend $5 and get it instantly? Where the hell is the fun in that?

"Yay! I finally got that speeder I've been wanting!.... now what do I do?"

And that's not even the worst part. The cartel market is effectively double-charging subscribers for stuff they should already have paid for. They use that "Monthly cartel coin allowance" as a scapegoat into making subs think they are getting special deals. You can't do crap with 600ccs. Yeah, sure maybe a pack or two but even that is a major rip-off. It's $15 a month which gives you 500-600ccs (whether or not you have a security key). You can spend $10 specifically in the cartel market and get almost double that (1050ccs). $20 will give you quadruple the sub allowance (2400cc).

We pay to play a game where we pay more money to get the stuff we want. W.T.F.?

And yes, before you say anything, I know... the cartel market is mostly cosmetics and they aren't essential for doing well in the game. That's a cop-out. But I digress. While I think it's insanely stupid to pay a sub for only a portion of the game's content, I'll let it slide because it's cosmetics (even though I still highly disagree with that.) What I really hate is they are slowly starting to charge you for content now. And I'm not talking about expansions. Expansions I don't mind...

edit: (after thought, I realize that GSF is an expansion in itself, so I sort of contradict myself here. This part was poorly thought out. However I'm not gonna delete it because I still think it makes a point.)

GSF ships, to name an example. And this ties back into my first point. What the hell is the point of playing GSF and earning fleet requisition if you can only buy a fraction of the various ships they have available? There's like 2 or 3 per faction that you can actually buy with requisition... but like 10 you can get with cartel coins. So yeah, you spend time playing to upgrade your ship... fine. But what if you want to spend time earning requisition to buy a new ship? Where is the fun in just getting one instantly because you use real money?

It's like paying to go to a movie about a car chase that skips the whole car chase sequence. What's the point?

I've been playing this game from the beginning. I love this game. I play it a lot. But man it's just starting to get on my nerves. It just feels like as of late that I'm being charged two times for something that I was under the impression I paid for the first time.

If they pull this same crap with player housing... I will not be a happy camper. I'd like something to spend time in. Upgrading and pouring credits into. But if the stuff "worth having" ... no if anything comes from the cartel market, then I'm going to be severely disappointed. Why should I spend time and effort making something personalized when some rich schmuck can just come and get the super exclusive cartel items that are 10x better than the average stuff just because they put more real money into it than me? Why am I paying a subscription in the first place if people can just go and do that?

And please.. no body spout off that "blah blah entitlement!" crap. I'm not demanding more stuff because I pay a sub. I'm just questioning why I'm paying twice for the stuff I was under the impression I had already paid for the first time around. If they were to come out with an expansion or new content, then I'd gladly pay more money for that because it's new and I obviously didn't pay for it the first time. I just feel like I'm being swindled by all this cartel market BS.

/rant

(TL;DR: Go away, and don't reply)

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Atleast a few of those sought after items, mounts, vanity stuff need to be obtainable in the game. But thats debatable. What i would say is, the CM totally defeats the point of anything like Starfighter, Player Housing and so forth.

I'm not thinking " Ohh if i get into this, I'm might earn those cool things", rather "I need to invent cash, if i ever want to get into this and enjoy it" If defeats the purpose of the activity. No progression - no point. You can get to max level, by just buying the coolest stuff.

I tried to reply to your post and got crit for 99999 and died of boredom.

No, seriously, it seems very much like you want cosmetic stuff without paying for it and that's just silly.

Edited by Infernixx

I have bought a few items on the CM. most of the stuff I have purchased with credits weeks after the packs come out.

The re-skinning of armor and weapons is comical but other than that I must say I like the CM. based on what I see on the GTN, lots of players like it too. So if having a CM peaks the interest of more players, which increases population.. I am absolutely fine with it.

I don't care about getting cosmetic stuff for free. I'm bringing into question the divide between gameplay and the rewards it gives.

There isn't a point to playing the game when everything anyone ever wants is just a few $$$ away.

People will play longer if they had some of the cartel market exclusive items as quest rewards or just rewards for completing some hard to beat achievements. Give the players something to do besides throw money at the screen.

I have bought a few items on the CM. most of the stuff I have purchased with credits weeks after the packs come out.

The re-skinning of armor and weapons is comical but other than that I must say I like the CM. based on what I see on the GTN, lots of players like it too. So if having a CM peaks the interest of more players, which increases population.. I am absolutely fine with it.

I actually do the same thing. But you don't think that it feels shallow? These items are pretty cool and they are just passed around like candy.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

CM=FUN...... Confusion:Please elaborate further!

Before I left in July of 2012, I had just got done grinding warzones to get the War Hero's Eliminator's chestguard for my Merc, which back then was a mighty endeavor for anyone pvping as a merc. (We were huge walking targets and easy kills)

I had did this because I was trying to make my merc look like Boba Fett and when I finally got the chest it didn't provide the desired result I had hoped for and after having scoured all over for Green and Red moddable gear, I pretty much quit in frustration.

When I returned after youring Pandaria and growing tired of WoW after 5 years of playing it, I had a craving for the fun I had in SW:TOR and I gave it a try again discovering the Cartel Market and the wonderous thing known as Adaptive gear. New Packs meant new armor sets and new armor sets lead to new rp ideas and new rp ideas lead to me doing the republic side which I had only experienced the Knight story before I quit.

If the CM didn't come out and we were still stuck to class specific armor, I wouldn't be here right now.

So that's how the CM made the game fun again for me.

I don't care about getting cosmetic stuff for free. I'm bringing into question the divide between gameplay and the rewards it gives.

There isn't a point to playing the game when everything anyone ever wants is just a few $$$ away.

People will play longer if they had some of the cartel market exclusive items as quest rewards or just rewards for completing some hard to beat achievements. Give the players something to do besides throw money at the screen.

I actually do the same thing. But you don't think that it feels shallow? These items are pretty cool and they are just passed around like candy.

I don't understand what the problem is. Cool cosmetic gear, it's good that it's not super hard to get.

No, seriously, it seems very much like you want cosmetic stuff without paying for it and that's just silly.

Must not have been playing games since before the era of microtransanctions. Our sub money should be paying for all this CM stuff. And by that I mean it should be attainable via actually playing the game, if you're picking up what I'm laying down.

Must not have been playing games since before the era of microtransanctions. Our sub money should be paying for all this CM stuff. And by that I mean it should be attainable via actually playing the game, if you're picking up what I'm laying down.

I remember 'this' game before the CM came along. If you were a Sorc, you had 'one' type of look and screw you if you wanted to look different. Same thing with BH and every other basic class.

And it's cool and all that you think you should be able to get all kinds of extra stuff for $15 a month. It's a laughable opinion, but hey, it's yours, right? Go on with your bad self.

See, I'm laughing because I get 'everything' I want from the CM via the GTN for credits. So when people rage about it, I just laugh.

Before I left in July of 2012, I had just got done grinding warzones to get the War Hero's Eliminator's chestguard for my Merc, which back then was a mighty endeavor for anyone pvping as a merc. (We were huge walking targets and easy kills)

I had did this because I was trying to make my merc look like Boba Fett and when I finally got the chest it didn't provide the desired result I had hoped for and after having scoured all over for Green and Red moddable gear, I pretty much quit in frustration.

When I returned after youring Pandaria and growing tired of WoW after 5 years of playing it, I had a craving for the fun I had in SW:TOR and I gave it a try again discovering the Cartel Market and the wonderous thing known as Adaptive gear. New Packs meant new armor sets and new armor sets lead to new rp ideas and new rp ideas lead to me doing the republic side which I had only experienced the Knight story before I quit.

If the CM didn't come out and we were still stuck to class specific armor, I wouldn't be here right now.

So that's how the CM made the game fun again for me.

So it wasnt the Market, itself. So much as the gear, that could have been obtainable anywhere else, if it wasn't restricted to gamble packs. Not seeing an argument for CM, here. Those items could have just as easily been added as space combat rewards or smt.

It truly is I for one would rather pay one monthly fee and get everything.,but when it comes to cm they would rather have a game update based on that rather than content. That is why i am letting my sub lapse. I do not care if this SW branded or not. the sw mmo died when SWG died. EA will not give this game much attention as long as people keep buying into it. So i say let them shut the servers down Edited by kirosagi
bad grammar

I remember 'this' game before the CM came along. If you were a Sorc, you had 'one' type of look and screw you if you wanted to look different. Same thing with BH and every other basic class.

And it's cool and all that you think you should be able to get all kinds of extra stuff for $15 a month. It's a laughable opinion, but hey, it's yours, right? Go on with your bad self.

See, I'm laughing because I get 'everything' I want from the CM via the GTN for credits. So when people rage about it, I just laugh.

Well, keep laughing Chuckles, but most would prefer obtaining items organically. You know by playing, rather than, wasting time in front of the GTN.

And while i have given you, that all manner of side activities, are "playing the game" Playing the Auction House, is something else entirely. Probably the only activity, that has ever really bored me in MMOs, all kinds of grinding included.

I really don't get the hate towards the Cartel Market. You can virtually everything from it for credits on the GTN. And as stated several times, it's just cosmetic. There's also lots of gear that drops in game so you don't even have to buy any of it. It just adds more choice to people's looks so we can look unique, and helps to keep the game profitable.

I do the exact same thing. In fact, I think I've paid a grand total of $20 in the cartel market since it launched. But you're completely missing the point.

I understand the CM is the lifeline of this game. The revenue it makes pushes this game forward. Fine. I get it. But what about the regular game? At least a handful of the stuff that's on the CM should be available through normal in game means to give players incentive to play the game and earn what they want.

I really don't get the hate towards the Cartel Market. You can virtually everything from it for credits on the GTN. And as stated several times, it's just cosmetic. There's also lots of gear that drops in game so you don't even have to buy any of it. It just adds more choice to people's looks so we can look unique, and helps to keep the game profitable.

Paying money for it isn't the point. It's the ease of access that's the problem.

There is no reason to play when you can just pay.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

So it wasnt the Market, itself. So much as the gear, that could have been obtainable anywhere else, if it wasn't restricted to gamble packs. Not seeing an argument for CM, here. Those items could have just as easily been added as space combat rewards or smt.

I'm not going to waste time trying to explain why I have fun with the CM since you clearly only want to twist it into another CM Hate post.

Well, keep laughing Chuckles, but most would prefer obtaining items organically. You know by playing, rather than, wasting time in front of the GTN.

And while i have given you, that all manner of side activities, are "playing the game" Playing the Auction House, is something else entirely. Probably the only activity, that has ever really bored me in MMOs, all kinds of grinding included.

Oh, I play the game. Doing Ops, FPs, working on achievements. These things I do for fun, and yes, playing the GTN, too.

The fact is, there's nothing wrong with letting cool looking gear come from places other than OPs or PVP.

Without the Cartel Market there would be no game for you to have fun in.

The game has plenty of fun things to do that have nothing to do with the cartel market. Missions. Stories. War zones. Flash points. Space missions. GSF. Socializing. Crafting. I probably missed some.

The Cartel Market can enhance players' enjoyment of these activities by giving the players options to look a very specific way while doing those other things.

If you, personally, find that the notion of the Cartel Market detracts from the fun you have while playing this game, the problem is in your mind, not in anything the Cartel Market is, does, or stands for.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on a gaming forum. The reason to play is, that's where the fun is.

Edited by DarthTHC

I do the exact same thing. In fact, I think I've paid a grand total of $20 in the cartel market since it launched. But you're completely missing the point.

I understand the CM is the lifeline of this game. The revenue it makes pushes this game forward. Fine. I get it. But what about the regular game? At least a handful of the stuff that's on the CM should be available through normal in game means to give players incentive to play the game and earn what they want.

Paying money for it isn't the point. It's the ease of access that's the problem.

Except your idea would restrict my access to it. I don't do space combat, and can't dedicate the time to group content and PVP to get it that way. If I have the opportunity to get the odd, cool looking speeder from the market, who is it harming?

Oh, I play the game. Doing Ops, FPs, working on achievements. These things I do for fun, and yes, playing the GTN, too.

The fact is, there's nothing wrong with letting cool looking gear come from places other than OPs or PVP.

Careful where you trough words, like "fact", around . Opinion was the word, you were looking for. And as far as facts go, most want to get cool items as rewards, for participation with specific activities. Its what the recent PvP rancor fiasco was about. Generally when something awesome comes back reskinned on the GTN, that people have grinded for, they rage. Understandable.

When did cool looking gear ever come from OPs or PVP? Weren't you just saying their was only one thing that classes wore before the CM came along?

The fact is, there's nothing wrong with letting cool looking gear come from places other than the CM.