Juggernaut vs marauder pve.

Flalia

Hello there friends I recently leveled up my marauder to 50 and have been gearing him. Before that my main was a juggernaut vengance spec. My marauder is carnage. My question is can my juggernaut do more or atleast comparable dps to a marauder? And by comparable I mean in the same gear level will the dps be close?

a dps jug, be it rage or vengeance will NEVER do more damage or equal damage vs a marauder of equal gear AND skill. I got a dps jug and marauder, both equal gear and i know both classes inside and out (probably my jug more) and my jug puts up anywhere from 1650-1720 depending on ravage procs and crits. My marauder puts up 1800-1850 consistantly in both carnage and annihilation specs. both are full campaign/blackhole with a couple 63s.

So yeah marauders will put up more because theyre designed to, but the jug isn't too far behind, and its def within 5 percent of a marauder as promised by bioware. Anyone that says otherwise simply isn't playing the class to its fullest potential

look at it this way : Marauders are the pure damage dealers. Every single one of their abilites is designed to put out as much DPS as they can. BUT,( because there is always a but :D ) Juggs have their avantages too. The price of being just 5% dps behind is greater survival. Juggs have better defense cooldowns and they can tank a boss in extreme cases. So Juggs dps can sometimes save a whole raid because of there '' insta-tank '' mode.

So, in the end, i think the best way is to find your play style : pure damage dealer? or heavy damage dealer with greater chances of survival and utility?:rolleyes:

look at it this way : Marauders are the pure damage dealers. Every single one of their abilites is designed to put out as much DPS as they can. BUT,( because there is always a but :D ) Juggs have their avantages too. The price of being just 5% dps behind is greater survival. Juggs have better defense cooldowns and they can tank a boss in extreme cases. So Juggs dps can sometimes save a whole raid because of there '' insta-tank '' mode.

So, in the end, i think the best way is to find your play style : pure damage dealer? or heavy damage dealer with greater chances of survival anda utility?:rolleyes:

A DPS-spec'd Juggernaut has far worse CDs than a Marauder. A *tank* Juggy has great CDs.

They can taunt to assist with certain mechanics, and they are a solidly "tier 2" DPS (along with Snipers, Mercenaries, and (really good) Assassins). There's no reason not to take a competent one other than having an equally competent Marauder or PT available or a bunch of other melees already, as content with too many melees tends to get overly complicated.

Edited by Omophorus

So, in the end, i think the best way is to find your play style : pure damage dealer? or heavy damage dealer with greater chances of survival and utility?:rolleyes:

a dps jug DOES NOT have greater defensive CDs. A vengeance jug has better built in survivability in the tree, but as far as cooldowns go, marauder probably has the best cooldowns for a dps in the whole game

but yeah, dps jugs can taunt and pop soresu form if a tank goes down and tank for a few seconds before the tank gets revived.

a dps jug DOES NOT have greater defensive CDs. A vengeance jug has better built in survivability in the tree, but as far as cooldowns go, marauder probably has the best cooldowns for a dps in the whole game

but yeah, dps jugs can taunt and pop soresu form if a tank goes down and tank for a few seconds before the tank gets revived.

So when you say 5% less dps do you mean like a marauder will do 15% total damage on moxparser and then a juggernaut would do 10%? Or do you mean if a marauder did 100 dps a juggernaut would do 95 dps?

So when you say 5% less dps do you mean like a marauder will do 15% total damage on moxparser and then a juggernaut would do 10%? Or do you mean if a marauder did 100 dps a juggernaut would do 95 dps?

The latter. If a Marauder does 2000 DPS for example, the Jugg should at least do around 1900 DPS.

on mox your gonna be well within 5 percent of the marauder. I'm usually with 2-3 of the really good ones if we are equal gear. I was like 7 percent behind a REALLY good one in my guild thats in full 63/s and im only in 61's so thats good right there.

in full 63's marauders are parsing around 2000-2100 and the really good jugs are putting up anywhere from 1850-1950 so yeah its a difference but its not a huge one. anywhere from 100-200 dps total

When I was rolling mine I was just is torn as you are my friend. I wound up rolling a juggernaut just due to the attack animations. I really enjoy having force push which greatly increases the juggernauts mobility. Mobility wise the Juggernaut comes out on top of for the Marauder.

That one issue is what sealed my decision. I have never regretted it and I have never looked back. I play venge spec. I have never had a raid group complain about my dps. On the contrary I have actually had a lot of compliments. I also PvP on the side the mobility Factor is huge in PvP.

It is also nice when guarding a node and a healer comes by to be able to switch to tanking stance and slap guard on him. In my opinion I just felt the benefits of the juggernaut far outweighed the disadvantage. The Juggernaut had a lot more versatility in my opinion than the Marauder. I hope this advice helps your decision.

The main question that comes down to is if you want to sacrifice mobility for more of a wam bam ty mam damage style. The Juggernaut does win out on mobility however the Marauder has damage that no other compares

Edited by Zergnaut

Personally, my marauder is parsing around 2150 right now, and my jugg in veng/rage parses right around 1900-1950. I prefer the marauder as there is more to pay attention to and I like the style more, either class works fine in raid though. Certainly the taunt utility is great, but so is Bthirst/Super Pred, and quite often, my mara has tanked a boss for the duration of his CD's during boss fights. (Tanked NiM Kephess, for ~10 seconds while tank got up).

I dps as carnage on my marauder and it definetly feels way faster but I love the way juggernaut looks and the way it can feel sometimes. But its almost impossible to find a pug group, is that just me or a lot of vengance juggernauts?

Personally, my marauder is parsing around 2150 right now, and my jugg in veng/rage parses right around 1900-1950. I prefer the marauder as there is more to pay attention to and I like the style more, either class works fine in raid though. Certainly the taunt utility is great, but so is Bthirst/Super Pred, and quite often, my mara has tanked a boss for the duration of his CD's during boss fights. (Tanked NiM Kephess, for ~10 seconds while tank got up).

That calls for some links to parses

That calls for some links to parses

His name's in his sig, and there are plenty on TORParse.

Keep in mind entire fight number is usually lower due to downtime, but 1900-2200 is NOT an unusual number for a geared Marauder even in the most difficult content in the game right now.

Boy this thread has gotten convoluted......

Yes, DPS Jugg in PVE is fine, and with even gear and even skill, you will parse between 3-5% lower than a Mara. I have cleared everything up to NiM EC Kephess with mine. Helps out a bunch on the tanks in NiM EC to be able to taunt the Incinerate from FB.

OFFTOPIC:

A DPS-spec'd Juggernaut has far worse CDs than a Marauder. A *tank* Juggy has great CDs.

They can taunt to assist with certain mechanics, and they are a solidly "tier 2" DPS (along with Snipers, Mercenaries, and (really good) Assassins). There's no reason not to take a competent one other than having an equally competent Marauder or PT available or a bunch of other melees already, as content with too many melees tends to get overly complicated.

Snipers are not "tier 2" DPS classes.. They're "tier 1". I'm curious to know how you were able to say Snipers are 2nd grade in terms DPS in the current PvE content..

Edited by paowee