When some gets a item for free from CS yet I lost a ton of items yet get 0.

DarthSealth

Ever had this happen to you?

One of my family members was ill.

Well my dad came off his motorbike and broke his leg.

So I had to spend time away from the game because duty called going back and forth to/from Saint George's hospital since he has diabetes and was a high risk to develop a infection causing the possibility to lose his leg (amputation).

So I hadn't been on for awhile and forgot I posted some items on the GTN (The game/items) was last thing on my mind I generally forgot.

So when life got back on track I logged in and was searching all over for these items so I fired a in-game ticket for help just identify where they went and the reply said they was "In game mail that expired."

So I told them the situation probably not going into this much detail as it was a sore subject at the time with the hope of some humility but instead I got the reply "It's your own fault". (When I login ill edit the replies word for word.)

Which I thought was a little harsh given the circumstance then you see a YouTube streamer get given a in game item for free from a dev via in game agent chat.

(They had a full list, even stated what I had lost)

Edited by DarthSealth

As much as it sounds like a bad situation for you with all you have had to deal with -- it really only takes a minute to login and check emails / pick up items from emails then log out again.

It sounds as if at the time you made the decision that what was happening IRL was more important to you then logging in to check these emails -- which is fair but was still your choice and not any kind of error within the game that caused the loss of items.

Aye, I have. Once. I totally forgot about my items as I got distracted by RL issues and didn't log in. I was grouchy about it but it was my doing. If I'd given it thought, I would've logged in occasionally but I didn't so I'd only myself to blame.

Haven't made that mistake again.

Listen, we can't check whether your story is true or not. It's the internet. People make up stuff. It's just impossible to tell who's telling the truth and who isn't.

So how can anyone here know? How can BW know?

In the end they have certain policies that you agree to with playing this game. You stay away for too long, it has consequences. Assuming that your story is true, it sucks for you in this case. But those are consequences of letting mail expire.

I wonder if you had a gift certificate with an expiry date on it and you try to use it a month after it expired if you expect it to be honored? Sure, you may have had reasons that were beyond your control, but would you really expect them to honour it?

If you're a guild leader and stay away for a month, the guild leadership passes also. We've seen stories of this as well here. People upset cause they were gone for a month that someone else took over and kicked them out of the guild. But then they were probably upset that their guild leader abandoned them and left them hanging.

Unfortunate as the situation may be, I don't feel BW has done anything wrong here. Look at it this way, if they believe your story and you tell someone else, then more people will get the idea that if they just make up a story they can get stuff back. That's not a good situation either.

It sucks perhaps, but this is the reality and you just need to move on and let this be. Either by accepting it or leaving this game behind if it's that big a deal for you.

It's seems many think I'd make up something like this is absurd that is something a ill minded individual would do who believes words don't have action/consequences.

Yes I understood it was my fault unintentionally and I had never had this problem prior or after this one occasion which I felt was a tad harsh and it wasn't the fact because I ultimately understood but to state "It was my fault." Really griped me the wrong way suggesting it was my fault a family member had an accident that cause him to fall ill.

I totally forgot I had in game mail because it slipped my mind and at the time I was in a blur all I was thinking of "Is he ok, what was he doing on his bike, I gotta see him, what's going to happen, will he be ok."

But heyho I guess you learn from your mistakes.

The game comes first.

Edited by DarthSealth

Wait WHAT?

Isnt all technical mails eternal?

I mean, how can expired technical mail from gtn?

I wasnt in game years - and when i return some of my traded items from GTN still await me in mailbox. And stuff from companions. And pack of droid pets...

Hmm that's strange well I'm absolutely glad for you!

Well I had items for sale on GTN which expired by the sale time which reverts to the seller via in-game mail and that in-game mail expired because it was past the number of days I had to retrieve them although game mail like rewards was fine and from what I'm led to believe via my conversation with the CS team they don't expire because to be fair at the same time I noticed they didn't and that pretty much gave me a false sense of belief that in-mail doesn't expire but obviously I was wrong.

Really it's just a thing I've never experienced or had happen so I wasn't aware of it to be honest.

Edited by DarthSealth

Aye, I have. Once. I totally forgot about my items as I got distracted by RL issues and didn't log in. I was grouchy about it but it was my doing. If I'd given it thought, I would've logged in occasionally but I didn't so I'd only myself to blame.

Haven't made that mistake again.

Yeah I felt the same lol atleast I'm not the only one it wasn't too much about the items it was just the wording of the response given at the time and circumstances.

Well I'm the same won't happen twice or shame on me but it has stopped me purchasing packs and items from Cartel Market to sell on GTN I've pretty much have stopped selling as a whole I just buy now haha

Edited by DarthSealth

It's seems many think I'd make up something like this is absurd that is something a ill minded individual would do who believes words don't have action/consequences.

And since we don't know you, how could we possibly know that you are not "ill minded" as you put it?

I mean, from my point of view, if I assume that what you explain about your personal life is true, I find it rather distasteful to use your personal situation to leverage sympathy here.

Honestly, I really don't need to hear about your father with a broken leg and diabetes. It's about BW's item return policy. Do you really think they should cut me some slack in the game as well because I had a bad childhood?

Should they give out free subs for people who lost their jobs?

I personally think that BW could be more leniant on the mail policy, but that has nothing to do with whether or not someone's dad had an accident.

Wait WHAT?

Isnt all technical mails eternal?

I mean, how can expired technical mail from gtn?

I wasnt in game years - and when i return some of my traded items from GTN still await me in mailbox. And stuff from companions. And pack of droid pets...

They changed the policies on accumulated mail at some point. There's a 30 day expiry on everything except the droid pet (and other bonus) mails. It's a bit lame that system-generated mail with your own RL-cash bought items vanishes now (i.e. you get an item on the CM or in a CM pack, and try to sell it, and it disappears because you forget to log in).

And since we don't know you, how could we possibly know that you are not "ill minded" as you put it?

I mean, from my point of view, if I assume that what you explain about your personal life is true, I find it rather distasteful to use your personal situation to leverage sympathy here.

Honestly, I really don't need to hear about your father with a broken leg and diabetes. It's about BW's item return policy. Do you really think they should cut me some slack in the game as well because I had a bad childhood?

Should they give out free subs for people who lost their jobs?

I personally think that BW could be more leniant on the mail policy, but that has nothing to do with whether or not someone's dad had an accident.

Now ain't you pleasant.

They changed the policies on accumulated mail at some point. There's a 30 day expiry on everything except the droid pet (and other bonus) mails. It's a bit lame that system-generated mail with your own RL-cash bought items vanishes now (i.e. you get an item on the CM or in a CM pack, and try to sell it, and it disappears because you forget to log in).

Thanks that completely clears up the whole mail system.

Now ain't you pleasant.

You should have seen the thread where someone complained about missing some of the KotFE warm-up subscriber rewards (especially Nico Okarr), and tried the "Job. Death in the family." card...

My post was *merely* cold and unsympathetic(1), and survived the moderation ----storm. There were many, many, many others that did not. What you see in this thread is the very model of politeness and sympathy by comparison.

Ah, yes, found it.

(1) I had had to work, and I had had a death in the family, but I was able to sort out my subscription. It left me rather less than sympathetic towards his plight.

You should have seen the thread where someone complained about missing some of the KotFE warm-up subscriber rewards (especially Nico Okarr), and tried the "Job. Death in the family." card...

My post was *merely* cold and unsympathetic(1), and survived the moderation ----storm. There were many, many, many others that did not. What you see in this thread is the very model of politeness and sympathy by comparison.

Ah, yes, found it.

(1) I had had to work, and I had had a death in the family, but I was able to sort out my subscription. It left me rather less than sympathetic towards his plight.

Yeah I mean all you have and even you Steve which I was quite surprised lol I saw your name and I thought "brace yourself men!" Aha

Yeah like with something like that is a tad different I think I got annoyed which the fact I paid for these items which I've stopped doing to sell them and instead only buy stuff if I want it also I didn't understand the system which is my fault firstly which I admit to and after that I didn't expect them to put me on a pedestal etc.

But I somewhat felt the wording the CS used maybe it was unintentional and then seeing a Dev send items via in-game agent chat to a YouTube streamer although supposedly my situation is against the ToS and this isn't?

But thank you Steve for clearing up the mail system and being very reasonable!

All the best god bless.

Edited by DarthSealth

The "it's your fault", "should have read the ToS", "should have logged in", etc. replies are predictable and easy. Not sure why so many people instinctively go there. No one is denying that this is "your fault". The problem here, and what many don't get, is one of poor "customer service" (emphasis on "service").

If I walk into McDonald's (an exceedingly rare event I might add ;)) and let them know that they forgot to include my fries in the bag, the good customer service answer is "sorry sir, let me get them for you." The mediocre service answer is, "sir, please let me see your receipt and bag for proof". And the poor, horrible service response is "sir, once you leave the store, it's your fault if you didn't check the bag first." Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey Ds has ToS that say something like "all sales are final", and "no warranties, etc." Most companies do. That has nothing to do with service.

This GTN email situation is a bad system. It's poor design, and for paying subscribers, the window oF 30 DAYS is short (yes, some of us go >30 days without play). And using email as the transaction log is poor design. And, as in any tech system, there should be a log somewhere at BW as well that a CS agent can access. But worst of all, if you as a continuous sub are going to lose in game items, you should get system-generated warnings to that effect at set intervals before they're lost ("Your email will clear in 7 days...3 days...24 hours.."). That's what happened to me with an old Dropbox. I got MONTHS of multiple warnings that my unused box would be clearing (a "free" box, btw.).

So as to the OP, yes it's your fault for letting this happen. But this kind of thing is a customer service fail more than anything...

The "it's your fault", "should have read the ToS", "should have logged in", etc. replies are predictable and easy. Not sure why so many people instinctively go there. No one is denying that this is "your fault". The problem here, and what many don't get, is one of poor "customer service" (emphasis on "service").

If I walk into McDonald's (an exceedingly rare event I might add ;)) and let them know that they forgot to include my fries in the bag, the good customer service answer is "sorry sir, let me get them for you." The mediocre service answer is, "sir, please let me see your receipt and bag for proof". And the poor, horrible service response is "sir, once you leave the store, it's your fault if you didn't check the bag first." Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Mickey Ds has ToS that say something like "all sales are final", and "no warranties, etc." Most companies do. That has nothing to do with service.

This GTN email situation is a bad system. It's poor design, and for paying subscribers, the window oF 30 DAYS is short (yes, some of us go >30 days without play). And using email as the transaction log is poor design. And, as in any tech system, there should be a log somewhere at BW as well that a CS agent can access. But worst of all, if you as a continuous sub are going to lose in game items, you should get system-generated warnings to that effect at set intervals before they're lost ("Your email will clear in 7 days...3 days...24 hours.."). That's what happened to me with an old Dropbox. I got MONTHS of multiple warnings that my unused box would be clearing (a "free" box, btw.).

So as to the OP, yes it's your fault for letting this happen. But this kind of thing is a customer service fail more than anything...

Yeah you get what I mean like I understand if they said something along the lines as "Sorry to hear this but in the ToS we're restricted to help in this matter." then explain the system I would have been fine because you know it's not their fault they would probably help if their hands wasn't tied just the response caught me off guard.

Easy solution, take your money elsewhere. Otherwise supporting a game with such horrid CS just encourages them to keep doing it.

Yeah I am I've just cancelled my renewal in the midst of all this paying for nerfs and no content.

Not because of this because I won't tarnish everyone with the same brush!

I agree on this. The player is responsible for their items- but customer service is responsible for assisting the customer in the event of a mishap, misunderstanding or problem with the product. And the product is responsible for providing a worthwhile service that justfies its cost.

A good product will give a customer very little reason to complain about how it operates, and customer service will make the customer feel valued and do what it can to rectify a problem. This makes customers happy, and often leads to more of them.. But that doesn't seem to be a concept EA has been able to grasp yet.

I agree on this. The player is responsible for their items- but customer service is responsible for assisting the customer in the event of a mishap, misunderstanding or problem with the product. And the product is responsible for providing a worthwhile service that justfies its cost.

A good product will give a customer very little reason to complain about how it operates, and customer service will make the customer feel valued and do what it can to rectify a problem. This makes customers happy, and often leads to more of them.. But that doesn't seem to be a concept EA has been able to grasp yet.

Yeah exactly this! Both of you get what I was trying to say.

To be fair they're only generated items which costs them nothing if a person has lost them via the system plus they stated they had a log of it (different to someone trying it on) saying they lost something which they haven't.

But honestly it was nothing apart from unlocks and a few pack items.

Edited by DarthSealth

I often forgot I had listed items when I first started playing. I made so many characters across all servers, had more than one account. So yea often forgot about logging in to characters. In your case personal stuff going on at home, I feel for you on losing stuff. Shame BW were not more understanding and helpful but not much any of us can do other than be sympathetic.

I hope your dads OK. I have type 1 diabetes myself and lost half my foot though infection after stepping on a nail. So when I say I hope your dads OK I assure you I mean it. I hope he is taking care of himself and keeping he's blood glucose levels under control.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

In-game email FAQ is at this link

Unfortunately they have the following as a Note

NOTE: Our Customer Service team cannot restore expired or deleted mails, or any of their attachments.

The real question is, can't or won't? :rak_03:

I've never came across a game that wasn't able to restore lost or even destroyed items.

Edited by Eshvara

I often forgot I had listed items when I first started playing. I made so many characters across all servers, had more than one account. So yea often forgot about logging in to characters. In your case personal stuff going on at home, I feel for you on losing stuff. Shame BW were not more understanding and helpful but not much any of us can do other than be sympathetic.

I hope your dads OK. I have type 1 diabetes myself and lost half my foot though infection after stepping on a nail. So when I say I hope your dads OK I assure you I mean it. I hope he is taking care of himself and keeping he's blood glucose levels under control.

Cheers dude yeah I'm worried because he has been abit out of it since the surgery he had keyhole surgery. I mean i have been trying my hardest with making sure his diet is clean well it's something he's not been very good at.

I've been making sure to keep up with his medication. But it's a difficult task sometimes especially when you have to do it around work so I've been looking into personal care (temporary) until he gets better.

Thank you for understanding.