Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech vs Mercenary Comparison

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Powertech vs Mercenary Comparison

TFace
12.28.2011 , 03:45 PM | #11
Thanks for all the great replies. The tough part for me is that while I love the idea of the PT PVP powerhouse, I'm not a big fan of being a short range/melee BH. Decisions decisions...

PapaKhann
12.28.2011 , 04:56 PM | #12
Just to give you one more thing to think about...

I have a 31 Merc. I tried a Bodyguard (Healing) build first, and liked it pretty well. I also tried an Arsenal build (the "plant your feet and launch rockets" build most folks are referring to when they talk about Merc dps). I found it to also be enjoyable.

I read through the descriptions of the abilities in the Pyro tree, and really wasn't too impressed with them.

Then I decided to try Pyrotech.

I may have a hard time ever leaving Pyrotech.

The damage is a lot better than I thought it would be (I'm routinely in the top 3 or 4 in Warzones for dps and kills, often 1st, and it's not for spamming AoE's. The vast majority of the time I'm using single target attacks), offers good burst, and most importantly to me, is a lot more mobile at range in PvP.

Powertech is also intriguing, and I may try one at some point. But it may be difficult to swap out my 30m range attacks for 4-10m attacks. Just depends on what playstyle you like I guess.

jimkan
02.15.2012 , 01:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by gundamemo View Post
I've got 46 PT and 21 Merc.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Like everyone said, PT = short to mid range while merc = mid to long range.

For combat effectiveness, I say merc >> than PT.

PT can be annoyingly hard to kill in tank spec but does very little dmg or high crit/dot dmg that takes a while to kill but are useless against healing.

Merc with a mix of heal and dmg spec can both dmg and heal... and that's a lot considering you can assist kill from long range and heal from long range as well.

Trust me, healers at 50 are extremely hard to kill where as you NEED to be in tank spec to be durable. DPS spec PT are just as squishy as jedi sentinel or sith marauder.
uhmm?.....thats wrong jedi sentiel and marauder is the best class but you have to be very good, and eventually you arent. (i can see that easly ;S ) well still you just said almost everything i was gonna say right there but there is one thing u forgot : if your a big *** who likes to be a long ranged with great burst (3 missiles and 2 dots.. xD) and run away and push pepole and be kinda hard to kill = mercenary If you want to be an god go powertech tank untill you get jet charge and then if u wanna add some other good talent points there, do it. And then rest to pyrotech = God(/powertech) ....sorry if i got a bit bad english

glenbruton
02.15.2012 , 04:38 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TFace View Post
I'm having a very tough time deciding between PT and Merc. I would really appreciate if our experienced BHs out there would post a breakdown if what abilities your AC has that really shine in PVP and why. I'm not interested in healing as a Merc, but the rest of the PVP specs for both ACs are welcome.
I've played both (wife has healy merc) and its really down to your playstyle. I HAAAATE castbars and like close combat so PT for me. My wife hates being in the melee so Merc for her. Theres a world of difference between the two thats for sure.

Oh and powertech can get jet charge+grapple. So good. Grapple has saved so many huttball games its not funny.

Vagessel
02.15.2012 , 08:14 PM | #15
After getting a Gunnery Commando to the 40's I started leveling a BH PT and Merc. It's painful because I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND.

As Pyrotech PT I love the mobility and instant casts. You are able to put out good burst at close or mid range while keeping a steady pressure of DoTs. I do not run as tank at present. At present if feels like things die faster with my PT, but it might be an "illusion" effect from it's mobility, not sure.

As Merc I am finding the damage similar, except I dont get the bursty like options till pretty late, and nothing like PT. The cast times suddenly make everything feel soooo muchhhh sloowwwer. But it definitely has more AoE options. As Pyro PT (Level 25 - might and probably will change later) AoE seems pretty limited - which really, I think is the only thing keeping me from fully committing to the PT Pyro.

So yea, got one to 24 the other to 27 and it's driving me nuts.

ccpl_fisher
02.15.2012 , 10:16 PM | #16
Merc dps is much more reliable, and you have a huge burst once you hit 41. tracer tracer tracer unload (if it is proccd) then tracer tracer heatseakers railshot.

people get used to tracer fire and then the l;ast 3 of your rotation hits them like a ton of bricks.

you won't take down a very good BH healer though in a warzone, it takes to long and a mercenary has no interupts, just 2 stuns that have long cooldowns and rocket punch wich just stops the cast, if the resolve isn't maxed.

Power tech pyrotechs have an interupt, and you can completely shut down a healer if you apply steady dot pressure and interupt them every chance you get.

XChockey
02.16.2012 , 02:15 AM | #17
i dont understand how you can say powertechs come close to merc DPS as an end game raider i see my merc putting up solid mubers beating out sorcs and coming in right behind snipers.

AetherMcLoud
02.16.2012 , 02:20 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by churdturd View Post
Can someone comment on the PvP? it SOUNDS like there might be more utility for the PT, but I like killing **** (was a pally on WoW so I never really got to kill ****)

How is the burst damage for either class?
Powertechs are BEASTS in pvp. You have a whole lot of utility, grapple, interrupt, 2 stuns, jet charge if tank specced, slows and very good burst.

Mercs are awesome healers in pvp and their damage spec is pretty much "spam tracer missiles harder".
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.