Trooper Captain Title

Korin

Probably already been mentioned, I know there were threads in the old beta forums anyway.

Any chance of a Captain title for us? I'd like to actually display the rank after achieving it, but it seems impossible as every smuggler in the galaxy seems to have sliced it from us.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a military guy can educate me, but isn't Sergeant a rank for non-commissioned officers, and Lieutenant an officer's position? Can Sergeants be promoted to officers in such a situation? Or is it possible the trooper completed officer's school but was denied the rank based on the make-up of Havoc? Or is it just sloppy because hey why not?

Maybe a military guy can educate me, but isn't Sergeant a rank for non-commissioned officers, and Lieutenant an officer's position? Can Sergeants be promoted to officers in such a situation? Or is it possible the trooper completed officer's school but was denied the rank based on the make-up of Havoc? Or is it just sloppy because hey why not?

Field commissions are possible. Happened now and then during previous wars when they had someone with the leadership but not the rank to command a unit. They are usually temporary though.

Of course, this being a scifi/fantasy world, all bets are off.

Just because the rank is there doesn't mean it would belong on us.

Captains are people who sit in the back, in the ships, boats, whatever, directing the course of battle.

If you want to be a captain, fine by me, go play Command and Conquer.

Actually I just completed the final mission on the class quest, Garza promotes you to Captain.

That's probably a spoiler though.

Edited by Aurrelio

Captains are people who sit in the back, in the ships, boats, whatever, directing the course of battle.

Army captains and Navy captains are two different ranks. An army captain is more likely to fight from the front than directing from the rear. An army captain is usually the 2nd or 3rd officer rank opposed to a naval captain who is the 5th or 6th officer rank. A naval officer is more likely to sit in the back or on the ship directing the course of battle. Just an FYI

lol at declaring there's only 1 definition for Captain. In your own link, you can derrive that Captain is broken down to a role and a rank. The Trooper's titles, which is the star of the subject of this thread, are obviously military ranks; though if you want to get into this further, you'll eventually take on the role of a Captain as you get your own ship with crew. So you're actually wrong in all accounts.

My Trooper's name is Obvious. Guess which title I'm gonna use.

The highest rank Troopers achieve in-game is Major. I was hoping for a Commander title at some point but there doesn't seem to be one currently.

I agree. Smugglers get the Captain title and i'm fine with that. I think troopers should have Commander as the title after completing chapter 1. It only makes sense.

I agree. Smugglers get the Captain title and i'm fine with that. I think troopers should have Commander as the title after completing chapter 1. It only makes sense.
Why would we get the highest rank troopers can attain at the end of Chapter 1? Wouldn't it make more sense to get it at the end of Chapter 3? Just saying.

Probably already been mentioned, I know there were threads in the old beta forums anyway.

Any chance of a Captain title for us? I'd like to actually display the rank after achieving it, but it seems impossible as every smuggler in the galaxy seems to have sliced it from us.

We do get the captain title... i'm running around with it now...

You clearly have no concept of military rank, you can quote wikipedia all day that site doesn't mean squat. You clearly haven't served in the military.

the USAF, USMC, USN, USA(rmy) all have captain ranks, and they all serve on the battlefield as combatants or as you seem to have your ignorant mind set, on a ship sitting back drinking java while deciding who dies next.

That is all.

Captain rank would be cool!

When do you actually receive the title? I was promoted but no title yet.

If I remember correctly I had the received the title once I got the quest to go to Balmora and get the next companion. It might have been slightly before that, but I definitely had the title before I landed on Balmora.

Captains belong on a ship, not shooting towards some guys face with a massive assault cannon or rifle.

People need to understand this is a videogame, based on a scifi universe. It's not reality. A captain in this universe is not the same than in our world. If they wanted to, they could have decided the admiral rank was the lower one, and private the highest one.

So, in SW, it seems you don't need a ship to be captain. I'm not a SW fan or whatever, so maybe I'm wrong, but your argument about RL captain is still invalid.

Edited by erei

So, in SW, it seems you don't need a ship to be captain. I'm not a SW fan or whatever, so maybe I'm wrong, but your argument about RL captain is still invalid.

You don't need a ship to be a captain in the military in real life.

For the person who thinks you do need a ship to be a captain..

- Captain, as the title for the person in charge of a ship, is obtainable as a civilian, which is why the smuggler gets it.

- Captain, as a rank within the military, is available through progress and promotion, which is why the trooper gets it.

They're not the same. They mean different things. Welcome to the English language, good luck.