Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardest class to play.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Hardest class to play.

Despotus
07.05.2012 , 01:37 AM | #61
After reading this and trying out classes to level 20 I'll be saving the sith warrior and jedi knight classes for last. I can't handle the truth!!
Spoiler

fptackle
07.05.2012 , 01:41 AM | #62
Personally, I found the Smuggler the Hardest. Not only is it on the more complicated side of skillsets, but you also get only Tank Companions until after Chapter 1. A lot of people seem to fizzle out because lugging along the deadweight of Corso or Bowdaar for the first 30+ levels is just a bit more of a headache than it's worth.

Canis_Anubis
07.05.2012 , 06:54 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Making a new thread based off similiar to Best class for beginners. This is a question asked for your honest opinion or experience so please answer truthfully of what you think is the hardest class to play.

My opinion is Sentinel and Marauders. They're hard to catch up when the skills keep showing up. You had to focus.
Marauders are incredibly simple to play. They're highly mobile, do great damage, and have a really straightforward resource mechanic.

My vote for hardest to play is the DPS Operative, by a mile. First of all, all Operatives have the Tactical Advantage mechanic, which amounts to a secondary resource system which requires constant maintenance, in addition to the already hard to manage energy mechanic. You have to keep your TA stack up. You have to keep stim boost up. You have to make sure you don't go below 60 energy, unless you're going to use Adrenaline Probe. You've got to keep your best abilities on cooldown. You've got to keep maximum time on target, and you still have to pay attention to the fight mechanics. I'm a 10 year MMO veteran back from EQ, a main-tanking warrior from a WoW raiding guild. I can handle complex gameplay. But the melee operative is such a mess, I had to give it up for a bad job.

cool-dude
07.05.2012 , 09:27 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Korvad View Post
Marauders / Sentinels, no contest.

I personally feel marauders are one of the easiest classes to play. I would say with 1.3, shadow tanks are one of the most difficult to play. I say this because Shadows/Assassins don't have much going for them that helps them tank. They wear light armor, their self heals are useless, their armor boost from their tank ability was nerfed. Really, the only advantage they have over any other tank, is that they hit harder.

Not saying they are no longer good tanks, just saying they are class that requires more skill.
I'm a cool dude

mahnmut
07.05.2012 , 11:29 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Soonerjohn View Post
I have a 50 jugg and 27 scoundrel. The jugg is by far harder to play. They have way too many situational abilities. A macro system like in Rift would really improve the class.

I spend more time staring at the cooldowns on my hotbar than the actual fight.
I think abilities like Retaliation are not thought out well since they force you to constantly look at your ability bars waiting for it to activate. I switched to a vengeance spec and dropped the ability completely and it made the class much more fun to play as it allowed me to spend more time focusing on the fight rather than ability procs. Waiting for ability cool downs is not such an issue since you get a good feel for them after a while.

Rhaphael
07.06.2012 , 02:14 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Making a new thread based off similiar to Best class for beginners. This is a question asked for your honest opinion or experience so please answer truthfully of what you think is the hardest class to play.

My opinion is Sentinel and Marauders. They're hard to catch up when the skills keep showing up. You had to focus.
This has been asked several times in the past.

The general consensus was Marauders and Snipers (and their Republic counterparts) were the most "difficult" mainly due to their high number of different and situational abilities.

PanikSpreder
07.06.2012 , 05:46 AM | #67
From my experience playing both a Marauder and Gunslinger - the Marauder is easier for new players, but gets a bit more complex as you level. Not by alot though - its still pretty faceroll at 50. Gunslinger on the other hand, starts off pretty random in terms of rotation, but slowly gets more complicated - particular when it comes to resource management. The key, it seems to me, is not going all out, but carefully decide when to go a full circle rotation and then wait again (otherwise you just spam Flurry).

Technohic
07.06.2012 , 06:31 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by PanikSpreder View Post
From my experience playing both a Marauder and Gunslinger - the Marauder is easier for new players, but gets a bit more complex as you level. Not by alot though - its still pretty faceroll at 50. Gunslinger on the other hand, starts off pretty random in terms of rotation, but slowly gets more complicated - particular when it comes to resource management. The key, it seems to me, is not going all out, but carefully decide when to go a full circle rotation and then wait again (otherwise you just spam Flurry).
I think resource management on sniper isn't all that hard to where you can do your rotations. Actually, if they are up; you probably better as you never know when you are going to die anyway. I guess from a PvP perspective anyway.

The thing is with sniper, is even a bolstered noob can do well if left a lone. The real skill is when you get experienced enough to find the next most tactical position when you have to move in order to keep other players off you.

Other than that, so far after trying all advanced classes to an extent; none of them are really THAT hard when it comes to pushing buttons. It's figuring out when to use them and on how you position/move.