Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I hate all the Consular Companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
I hate all the Consular Companions

meancraig
01.17.2012 , 10:47 AM | #1
Clearly the title was designed to attract attention. However, I value your opinions on our companion characters. I hope that someone can point out endearing characteristics about them that would show me the light, so to speak, so I don't continue to find them all too annoying.

Me: level 50 Pure Healer spec, maxed light side (the entire way through) (female gamer and toon)

Qyzen Fess:

Playability-okay. I never had any real issues with him tanking for me, other than his lag time getting into combat, or going from enemy to enemy, and his overuse of area effects that ruined my cc. However, he was okay.

Personality-wise, he was a bit of a jerk. He never liked my light side choices unless they were about killing things for scores,and he was basically a braggart. I couldn`t stand how he kept judging people for being weak, when he couldn't do much of anything solo without me there to save his skin. I just found this a bit too 2-dimensional for character development when what he went through on Typhon should have taught him some compassion for others.

Theran Cedrax:

Spoiler

Zenith:

Spoiler

Lt. Felix Iresso:

Spoiler

this brings me to...

Nadia Grell:

Spoiler

Anyway, to sum up, I found the consular companions to be 2-dimensional charicatures at best, and completely misogynistic fan-boi fantasies at worst. Thankfully, now that I'm at level 50, I won't need to use any of them very often.

Please let me know your opinions, especially if you disagree. I would like to know if you are seeing something that I am not.

Thank you.
EVELLIN, Guild Leader of Siege Soldiers
A Republic Guild on Jedi Covenant

RGMetal
01.17.2012 , 11:03 AM | #2
I hate Tharan, but as a tank Shadow he's the one to use in combat. I find myself putting him away during quest turn ins, so that I don't have to see all the negative points from making the right choices.

I'll probably use Nadia in all conversations after I get her, but I doubt she'll be useful to me in combat.

Hethroin
01.17.2012 , 11:03 AM | #3
I'm pretty sure you can romance Zenith. I will agree however, the inquisitor companions are much more colorful, and I'm not talking about the rainbow customization for Khem.

As far as Nadia goes, she is supposed to be subservient being your student. She does seem to respond well to having her opinion considered.

Hethroin
01.17.2012 , 11:09 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RGMetal View Post
I hate Tharan, but as a tank Shadow he's the one to use in combat. I find myself putting him away during quest turn ins, so that I don't have to see all the negative points from making the right choices.

I'll probably use Nadia in all conversations after I get her, but I doubt she'll be useful to me in combat.
If you're pretty well geared for the level you two kill at about double speed compared to Theron, but end up need to med up after a harder pull. She will do significantly more AE damage than you and will end up sharing agro for most of the pull, which is a good thing. There will be gold mobs that might cause you to kite more than you want to with her DPSing. And you can forget about soloing champs (something that is doable though painful with Theron).

Spoiler

RGMetal
01.17.2012 , 11:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
If you're pretty well geared for the level you two kill at about double speed compared to Theron, but end up need to med up after a harder pull. She will do significantly more AE damage than you and will end up sharing agro for most of the pull, which is a good thing. There will be gold mobs that might cause you to kite more than you want to with her DPSing. And you can forget about soloing champs (something that is doable though painful with Theron).
I did this with Kira on my JK-G, but prefer the tank-healer set-up. No downtime is worth the longer battles, for me at least.

Leiloni
01.17.2012 , 11:36 AM | #6
I am also a female gamer, going light side all the way as well and have played partway first as Balance and then found a better server, rerolled there and am leveling so far as Healer. Only have Qyzen and Theran so far but Theran I agree with you. I dislike him and so far have no need for him. Qyzen I like his personality and he's definitely my buddy. Although he has some annoying combat bugs - the AoE thing turning on all the time will be fixed in next patch. But he takes a long time to attack mobs once I tell him to which gets annoying. But I use him since my only other choice is Theran so far. I'm hoping I'll like some of the future companions better. One odd thing about Theran, his personality is exactly as you said but his voice and look doesn't match his personality at all if you know what I mean. O.o But Theran seems to enjoy being my crafting ***** along with my droid so I can take some satisfaction from making him go do chores for me.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

Skoll
01.17.2012 , 11:38 AM | #7
I want Forex
Hi! I'm Darth Harrington of Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids Emporium and Moon Base. Due to a garbled subspace transmission, I am currently overstocked on all Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids, and I am passing the savings onto yoooou!

thecoffeecup
01.17.2012 , 12:03 PM | #8
I can certainly understand this. In fact the companions are what's holding me back from playing consular myself. I did play one briefly, but I didn't care for the class missions or Qyzen, and reading about the rest of the companions didn't help.

Sadly it seems like the imps get more interesting companions in general. But I'd rather play republic so I don't have to listen to the 291 billion sith lords of nothing blabbering about power and how to best use lightning to prepare food in the field.

I just can't seem to find a combination a class I want and companions I can stand.

Vexxation
01.17.2012 , 12:22 PM | #9
I've only just got Lt Iresso and so far I find him alright personality wise. He comes over a bit unsure of himself in social situations, kind of shy I suppose, and a little naive.

Theron I always liked - I use him a lot as Shadow Infiltrator because my running partner for quests is a tanky JK and he prefers to bring his Kira pet. Theran is a bit weird but he reminds me strongly of the guy from the movie Serneity called 'Mr Universe'. He's all about the technology, even his heart belongs to something that isn't 'real'. The only annoying thing about him, to me, is his constant 'did I tell you I'm a pacifist' (which I usually reply to 'yes - for the 100th time..) and the fact he soemtimes forgets to heal me because he's shooting things (even with his 'shooting things' talents turned off...)

Q.Fess - he's ok too - a bit too bloodthirsty at times, but nothing I can't deal with story-wise. He was a great tank for me while I went through the very very low levels. Now alas his gear is awfully old because I forget to upgrade his stuff and can't make any for him with synthweaving (thanks BioWare...)

The ship droid - kill me now.

Zenith - I don't like his moody teenage boy attitude much but I haven't used him a whole lot as I don't solo very often.

FYI - I'm a lady player too.

Dominoris
01.17.2012 , 12:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vexxation View Post
The ship droid - kill me now.
On Alderaan (I think) there was a driod that gave you a mission and he had a personality like a Jersey cab driver. I want to hire him and send C2-N2 off to some place that does not have any padded seat cushions.
Clones are people two.