Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard DPS vs Commando DPS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Vanguard DPS vs Commando DPS

BronzeD
01.14.2012 , 06:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NightshadeBlue View Post
I heard the primary difference between Vanguard and Commando DPSers is Vanguard is great for area DPS and commando is great for single target DPS.

Is this true?
i don't know where u hear that but with my 47 vanguard which i cannot stomach anymore and refuse to use i can say that is full of BS.

both class have access to a slew of AoE attack, commando have most of theirs on ranged attacks while vanguard have to go close for one of their bread and butter AoE.

even fully spec to maximize the vanguard pulse cannon, you are NOT any better for area dps...

in fact most of vanguards talent spec have their dps mechanism based around single target attack skills, usually either ion pulse or stockstrike.

ghostsquadren
01.15.2012 , 01:19 AM | #22
well so far I have been having a blast with my level 31 vanguard dps, Sure we don't pit out as much dmg but other than that there is no downside to a vanguard who wand's to dps, oh and if u don't want to be super up-close use the assault tree its more of a medium long range type thing, I tried tactics but I did not like how u had to be 2-5 meters to do any real dmg
- - - - - - ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##▼(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀!!▀▀!

|####/ ( /==|####/

Dr_Rocky
01.15.2012 , 12:16 PM | #23
From my experience as a 50 vanguard I can say that I have yet to do a hardmode flashpoint where I don't pull threat on every boss fight. I'm not in any way trying to brag since I also end up dying quite frequently as a result and really, really wish I had a way to monitor my threat so I know when to back off. Just wanted to give an idea for the kind of damage I can do.

With all purple gear as full tactics (with only 4 or so pieces being pvp, the rest pve, with my 4 piece champion bonus) my ion pulse crits for around 2.2k, my ion surge with 5 buffs stacked ticks for around 1.2k and crits for around 2.2k. I've seen stockstrike and fire pulse crits for around 3.2k.

I don't crit very hard in comparison to a gunslinger, for example, but the moves listed are all instant cast and are based on me stacking power over crit/surge. I can only imagine how much I'll be putting out once I fully gear out pve, but I can say from experience that vanguards put out nasty damage.

Eppywon
01.17.2012 , 03:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Dr_Rocky View Post
From my experience as a 50 vanguard I can say that I have yet to do a hardmode flashpoint where I don't pull threat on every boss fight. I'm not in any way trying to brag since I also end up dying quite frequently as a result and really, really wish I had a way to monitor my threat so I know when to back off. Just wanted to give an idea for the kind of damage I can do.

With all purple gear as full tactics (with only 4 or so pieces being pvp, the rest pve, with my 4 piece champion bonus) my ion pulse crits for around 2.2k, my ion surge with 5 buffs stacked ticks for around 1.2k and crits for around 2.2k. I've seen stockstrike and fire pulse crits for around 3.2k.

I don't crit very hard in comparison to a gunslinger, for example, but the moves listed are all instant cast and are based on me stacking power over crit/surge. I can only imagine how much I'll be putting out once I fully gear out pve, but I can say from experience that vanguards put out nasty damage.
What Cell are you using? Ion, High Energy or Plasma?

RoamerBT
01.17.2012 , 04:38 PM | #25
I'm thinking of taking up a Trooper on the Republic Server I play on because ive been enjoying the hell out of my BH Mercenary on the Empire server.

Now what I love about the Mercenary is that he is a highly mobile DPS platform IMHO. A lot of instant cast missles and such with good AOE damage spells as well.

Since the Trooper/Commando is the mirror can I expect the same from its skill set? Someone said they were a "Turret" and I dont know if I would like that.

Ghoase
01.17.2012 , 10:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by RoamerBT View Post
I'm thinking of taking up a Trooper on the Republic Server I play on because ive been enjoying the hell out of my BH Mercenary on the Empire server.

Now what I love about the Mercenary is that he is a highly mobile DPS platform IMHO. A lot of instant cast missles and such with good AOE damage spells as well.

Since the Trooper/Commando is the mirror can I expect the same from its skill set? Someone said they were a "Turret" and I dont know if I would like that.
mercs are not "highly mobile"....stop trolling please

MicktheQuick
01.18.2012 , 08:34 AM | #27
tracer spam, so mobile

Gwal
01.18.2012 , 09:39 AM | #28
Think of Commando as a support class. It is ideally suited to hanging back and delivering terrific heals or dps (depending on spec) but is not very mobile. If allowed to sit at the back of a group doing what it wants it's great, it can be quite easily "locked down" in pvp if not protected.

A Vanguard is a charger/leader when one of them gets in someone's face they're going to have a bad day. Great defence or damage but they need to be close to the target for optimum effect and they have some good tools to close the distance. Classes like this do best when they are being backed up and protecting a support class (see commando)

Kommando
01.18.2012 , 02:02 PM | #29
In theory every class can DPS, in the real world some are better than others. For PVE, Gunnery Commando will out DPS a vanguard. In pvp its a little different especially if healers are involved.
http://imgur.com/wJG6J Link is safe and very important to everyday life.

Booshoo
01.18.2012 , 02:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darpo- View Post
Commando is the best for Dps, Vanguard is just for tanking.
Only dmg meters atm are the PvP ones and believe me - I am lvl 25 Vanguard and I hardly get outdamaged by any Commando of any lvl.