Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow Tank Alt (looking for PVE advice and having a hard time finding some)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Shadow
Shadow Tank Alt (looking for PVE advice and having a hard time finding some)

Kitru
11.29.2012 , 02:38 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by WooduckAUS View Post
Spamming 2 slow times in the 1 rotation, looks like lower single target threat to me.
If you wanna get purely technical, Slow Time generates about as much as threat as Project (roughly 90% as much factoring in Upheaval, barring PA procs), thanks to the high threat modifier, for 55-60% of the net cost (depending on DBSD procs). As such, it generates roughly the same amount of threat without affecting your resource maintenance as much. Net Threat per Force is, over the course of an entire fight, more important than the specific Threat per Second of a specific ability because a lot of Shadow Tank threat (and survivability thanks to HS stack generation) is limited by your ability to regenerate your Force.

If you end up using Project on CD, you end up having to use Saber Strikes for otherwise empty CDs while your Force regenerates, which, functionally, increases the CD on Project.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

WooduckAUS
11.29.2012 , 02:45 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
If you end up using Project on CD, you end up having to use Saber Strikes for otherwise empty CDs while your Force regenerates, which, functionally, increases the CD on Project.
Interesting. Though i never used saber strike while tanking, took it off my bar completely, never needed it.

Does the extra single target damage count into this?

Kitru
11.29.2012 , 02:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by WooduckAUS View Post
Interesting. Though i never used saber strike while tanking, took it off my bar completely, never needed it.
You should have Saber Strike on your bar. Otherwise, no matter what you do, you're gonna have empty GCDs where you're doing nothing and waiting for your Force to come back (since there aren't any attacks with a Force/sec cost of less than the 10.2-12.2 Force/sec that you regenerate as a Shadow tank other than TkT, which should only be used once every 12-15 seconds thanks to HS stack generation). It's DS that is often elected to be removed from your bar completely. Saber Strike should be on there simply because it's better than nothing when you don't have the Force to use anything else.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

WooduckAUS
11.29.2012 , 03:16 PM | #14
Kk, nps.

I don't tank on my shadow anymore (so maybe i shouldn't post in shadow/tank forums....just bored at work), i don't recall having to wait for anything or needing saber strike BUT i am not doubting your math Kitru. I learnt not to a long time ago.....

So what you're saying is after 1 full rotation ending in TKT, with 1 double strike if i recall correctly before the 2nd rock, this ends in force starvation. I must have swapped a few rocks for ST and vice versa, to manage force. Maybe there was a split second or 2 that i was waiting for a little force but i don't remember any problems.

Either way, splitting hairs here. I still think we are talking on the same page about the nuts and bolts of the rotation. Never said i was perfect, just a simplified version for fairly solid tanking rotation for the OP. I just remember favoring 2 rocks in my rotation if possible and it worked pretty well for me. I never tanked TFB HM, he was retired by then but never had any problems tanking, at the time, all the current HM ops etc.

KeyboardNinja
11.29.2012 , 04:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
interesting proposition, would like to hear more opinions on this

But then again I do know some Shadow Tanks who enjoy staying at the lower end of their force. Maybe this won't apply?
Here's the math: http://imgur.com/5IivI "x" is the average delay between Project usage, "y" is the average delay between Slow Time usage, and "z" is the average delay between Double Strike usage. As you can see, ST and Proj are both used almost exactly every 7.5 seconds, which is a 1.5 second delay following the Project cooldown. Double Strike is used…never. :-(

Note that this rotation is *exactly* Force Neutral. So, it's not a matter of "liking to stay in the low FP region". If you go with a different rotation, you will either achieve your TkT less frequently (and thus see a dramatically lower self-heal HPS) or you will run out of force entirely.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)