Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 10:31 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
Hypothetical question. Say they merge and it doesn't make a difference. Then what?
Then wed be stuffed and the game would die off for a big part of the player base. Its pretty easy to see this is the way the game will eventually go if they dont add a big injection of funds into the game.

While ever they continue to strip funding and resources, the game will continue a steady decline. Some other studios, MMOs and games have seen this and have brought games back from the brink by rebooting them, injecting new funds and in some cases, being aquaired by other companies.

The best hope for this game as I see it, is for swtor to be sold off to another company who wants to reboot it and make it into the game it should have always been. I dont even think Bioware rebooting it would be enough because they would still have their EA overlords sabotaging their efforts.

Swtor will continue to decline as it gets older and more people leave because its become stale for them. Only a serious effort to revive it will stop it dying in the near future, wether thats next year or when EAs Star Wars licence runs out. Swtor might last for another 10 years, but it will be a shell of what it is now, the same as its a shell of what it was 3 years ago.

TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 10:32 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I always think the forced level sync and making all the ops top level is a HUGE mistake.
In this, I agree 100%

TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 10:39 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
If they did have one server in NA, it should be on the west coast Imo. It's the halfway point between East coast and Apac as it could be.
Yes, agreed.

Raansu
06.12.2018 , 10:45 PM | #24
I still find it funny NA has two servers when they moved the west coast server to the east coast data center. Seemed silly at that point to have more than 1 server.

TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 10:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
I still find it funny NA has two servers when they moved the west coast server to the east coast data center. Seemed silly at that point to have more than 1 server.
Agreed.

Syal
06.13.2018 , 12:51 AM | #26
add IA in matchmaking to complet missing player... merge server problem solved...
SWTOR since 2012 !
Guild Force Unifie French PVE
The Leviathan

Ahwassa
06.13.2018 , 04:57 AM | #27
I dont want a merge of the EU servers.
Tulak Hord is not perfect but its fine as it is now.

My experience with one EU server is from ESO. Yes there are more pops but the success rate is lower (im looking at you french people) and the frustration level higher.
So please no EU merge. (And if - just the english speaking people please.)

xordevoreaux
06.13.2018 , 06:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Then wed be stuffed and the game would die off for a big part of the player base. Its pretty easy to see this is the way the game will eventually go if they dont add a big injection of funds into the game.

While ever they continue to strip funding and resources, the game will continue a steady decline. Some other studios, MMOs and games have seen this and have brought games back from the brink by rebooting them, injecting new funds and in some cases, being aquaired by other companies.

The best hope for this game as I see it, is for swtor to be sold off to another company who wants to reboot it and make it into the game it should have always been. .
What gaming company in its right mind would take a game that doesn't even link back to any current Star Wars movies? Were I looking to establish a Star Wars MMO, I'd want to co-brand and tie into promotions as closely as I could for any new movies coming out, not lock myself out of that because the content of the game I purchased is 3000 years prior to anything I'm trying to relate to with current movie releases.

1. Said company would need a separate, independent IP licen$e from Disney than what EA has. Good luck footing the bill on that.

2. EA would $ell the game's IP that it owns for having developed it (code, voice acting, content) to said company.

3. EA (rightfully) would still consider all of the people who ever played SWTOR to be its customers (think of all the Origin account information tied into the SWTOR login info) and therefore would not hand over its customer base's payment history, a history which ties very closely with whatever anyone has ever bought on the cartel market, used cartel coins for legacy unlocks, etc. Without that payment history to connect content to player purchases, said company would have no idea who bought what.

4. It would be a logistical nightmare for both players and the new company to claim accounts with a new company. Said company, based on issue #3, would have to establish its own relationship with the player base. Starting out, that player base would be 0. Player transfer to said company would require EA to email all SWTOR players a code which then players would need, after establishing a new subscription / player profile with the new company, to enter into their player profile to connect their new player profile with the new company with the player's SWTOR account. EA would only give the new company that code hooked up to a unique account ID for the purposes of players claiming their accounts once those players establish a presence with a new company.

4a. Meaning players had better damn well have their email information current at the time of the company transfer or someone else (or nobody) would receive the code and subsequently unlock the account.

4b. Because the new company would not have access to EA's customer history, and not know who anyone is other than by an EA-issued one-time code pointing to a UID in the player database, there would be no way to resolve customer issues regarding claiming of codes. Why? They're not the new company's customers yet. The new company wouldn't know any player from Adam. People would be completely dependent on using those codes correctly, the first time.

4c. Heaven help any player who ever shared login information with any other player, even a relative, or has someone in a position to read their email, like a parent or spouse. Like 4a., the new company would have no means to resolve ownership issues. There would be zero the new company's customer service system could do about it, for not having access to EA's customer information about them. That's EA's customer information, not the new company's.

Far easier to scrap SWTOR altogether for new said company to pursue content more germane to current Star Wars content and not hassle with extracting EA's customers from it.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Khaleg
06.13.2018 , 06:58 AM | #29
In short: No

More precise and detailed: No
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

JediQuaker
06.13.2018 , 09:26 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Hellhog View Post
I didn't understand why it wasn't just brought down to one server for each region to allow each aspect of game to have as healthy a population as possible regardless the time of day.
1. There are practical hardware limits to the number of players that can be handled properly by one "server"**. This is the main reason why there were separate servers in the first place. As CPUs, memory, storage, etc, improve, servers can handle more players and thus, the recent mergers can happen.

2. Even if the current servers could be merged, any future increase in the number of users could result in the need to split servers - which would be a whole other bag of snakes.

** A "server" actually consists of many inter-connected computers handling different aspects of the game.

DISCLAIMER - This is all based upon past knowledge of computers and game servers. I don't, of course, know the details of the current state of SWTOR servers. However, I can say that it's a bit naive to say "just merge the servers".