Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

Nightblazer's Avatar


Nightblazer
06.12.2018 , 04:47 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SmartAbyss View Post
Do you feel the previous merger was a step in the right direction?

If yes, how would a second one be a bad step?
If they did have one server in NA, it should be on the west coast Imo. It's the halfway point between East coast and Apac as it could be.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.12.2018 , 05:02 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
If they did have one server in NA, it should be on the west coast Imo. It's the halfway point between East coast and Apac as it could be.
/Agree.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

SmartAbyss's Avatar


SmartAbyss
06.12.2018 , 05:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightblazer View Post
If they did have one server in NA, it should be on the west coast Imo. It's the halfway point between East coast and Apac as it could be.
That requires a massive financial investment they can't make.

Also, there's virtually no apac players left, and it's abundantly clear west coast players are a minority even on Satele now. It sucks to have high ms, but that's not going to change.
Glor
GM of <Sniper Science>
Glor'findel | Melisándré
Waken's Backup Singer May 2016-present

Goreshaga's Avatar


Goreshaga
06.12.2018 , 06:09 PM | #14
Erf, 1 EU server would be a mess with people talking in at least 3 different languages...

I'm already kicked oout of the server too often (and more often since the 1st merger), so unless they find a way to implement an offline solo mode to the game where i can play even when i'm kicked out every 5 min, i don't want another merger. The game would become a living hell for me.
I already can't play any multiplayer content because of that, and sometimes barely my solo story quests, if i can't even play that anymore, i don't have any reason to keep playing

jimmorrisson's Avatar


jimmorrisson
06.12.2018 , 09:06 PM | #15
Move Satele Shan to the West Coast.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 09:49 PM | #17
Yes, populations are still sliding and will continue to do so, especially if Bioware keep making mistakes. It’s something that will never stop and yes, at some point mergers will happen again, but not yet.

Would it help the pvp community if we only had one US server? Probably yes, but you have other factors to take into account that are non pvp related and would cause enough harm to make it an iffy proposition at this point.
There was a lot of heart ache over the last mergers and a lot of people left the game. Another merge would see more people leave and the game’s population really can’t afford another big exodus of players.

Bioware must have realised that at some point this year, populations on the servers would continue to drop and mergers maybe needed. Even without all of Bioware’s mistakes this year that have made people leave, the games natural attrition leads to less people in the game.

What they should have done with the last merge is pulled the proverbial band off and made it one server per region. People would still have been upset and raged and left the game. But it could have been done in one hit, instead of peeling back a bandaid and reapplying another that needs to be pulled off later.
It would have been better to get it over and done with in one go. It never made sense to me why they didn’t just do that. The only reason I could see for not doing it was if we still had servers split by location to keep the west and east coast happy. But putting them in the one data centre on the east coast negates that reason for two servers.

What we need now is pvp cross server per region. ie, US based servers Satele Shan and Starforge cross server. EU servers cross server.

With both regions having all their servers in their own location and in the same data centres, probably racked next to each other, there really shouldn’t be a technical reason they can’t add cross server pvp per region.
Lag would be the same, unlike it would have been if they’d tried to do cross server when we had east and west coast against each other. There were also more than 2 servers, which presented other technical difficulties.

Usually cross server is done by adding another server to host match instances between the main servers. They are much smaller than the main servers for obvious reasons. Obviously that would take some work to do and cost money, but it’s long over due and technology has advanced enough in cloud computing etc and the tools are there if Bioware just have the will to do it.

In short, I believe server mergers at this stage are premature. Cross server should be looked at. Bioware missed the boat by not making one server per region. Mergers will happen, but not this year.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.12.2018 , 10:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well.. you are fully entitled to your opinion.... but that does not make you right, nor that others need to agree with you.

I cannot comment on EU servers... but as a player on both NA servers..... sorry.. I disagree.. they are fine at this point in time. Join a guild, make friends, etc etc.. and stop relying on everyone else being there at your beck and call.
While I don’t think the mergers are needed yet, everything isn’t fine with the pvp situation... and guilds, making friends etc won’t fix the declining population problem. Which starts to affect pvpers before other parts of the game.

Pvp is like the canary in the mine when it comes to population decline. Most pvpers don’t belong to a guild to play pvp as there aren’t many pvp only or pvp centric guilds around anymore. Other pvpers who’ve been around forever, like myself, aren’t even in guilds or if they are, it’s a small personal guild that doesn’t have enough people to form a team. The reason for me and some others is the toxicity or unfriendly nature in some of those remaining pvp centric guilds

I do think the roadmap and crossfaction will alleviate some of the stress, which is geared towards improving pvp and participation. So fingers crossed, that will be enough until the expansion next year.
People need to be patient and wait and see how this road map pans out before jumping the gun for server mergers.

Mergers will happen eventually It’s inevitable because EA are accountants first and will see it as a money saving proposition more than player enjoyment or needs. They probably won’t even do them at the right time, it will be when the only way to keep the lights on is to merge “all” servers into one game server.

I believe Cross server per region should be the next step before mergers to alleviate pvp population problems.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
06.12.2018 , 10:18 PM | #19
It's not server merge problem, but the overall content being outdated and LFG system needs a huge improvement.
http://www.swtor.com/r/5trH8B

My Referral Code.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
06.12.2018 , 10:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Yes, populations are still sliding and will continue to do so, especially if Bioware keep making mistakes. It’s something that will never stop and yes, at some point mergers will happen again, but not yet.

Would it help the pvp community if we only had one US server? Probably yes, but you have other factors to take into account that are non pvp related and would cause enough harm to make it an iffy proposition at this point.
There was a lot of heart ache over the last mergers and a lot of people left the game. Another merge would see more people leave and the game’s population really can’t afford another big exodus of players.

Bioware must have realised that at some point this year, populations on the servers would continue to drop and mergers maybe needed. Even without all of Bioware’s mistakes this year that have made people leave, the games natural attrition leads to less people in the game.

What they should have done with the last merge is pulled the proverbial band off and made it one server per region. People would still have been upset and raged and left the game. But it could have been done in one hit, instead of peeling back a bandaid and reapplying another that needs to be pulled off later.
It would have been better to get it over and done with in one go. It never made sense to me why they didn’t just do that. The only reason I could see for not doing it was if we still had servers split by location to keep the west and east coast happy. But putting them in the one data centre on the east coast negates that reason for two servers.

What we need now is pvp cross server per region. ie, US based servers Satele Shan and Starforge cross server. EU servers cross server.

With both regions having all their servers in their own location and in the same data centres, probably racked next to each other, there really shouldn’t be a technical reason they can’t add cross server pvp per region.
Lag would be the same, unlike it would have been if they’d tried to do cross server when we had east and west coast against each other. There were also more than 2 servers, which presented other technical difficulties.

Usually cross server is done by adding another server to host match instances between the main servers. They are much smaller than the main servers for obvious reasons. Obviously that would take some work to do and cost money, but it’s long over due and technology has advanced enough in cloud computing etc and the tools are there if Bioware just have the will to do it.

In short, I believe server mergers at this stage are premature. Cross server should be looked at. Bioware missed the boat by not making one server per region. Mergers will happen, but not this year.
A big problem has to do with their intention. Right now the strict "raid guild" is outdated and SWTOR is obviously, not attracting raid ppl. A lot of the content require group but ppl are not interested to do them anymore, nor is there a good LFG system.

So it's better to make a huge overhaul to the current content and the LFG system. I always think the forced level sync and making all the ops top level is a HUGE mistake.
http://www.swtor.com/r/5trH8B

My Referral Code.