Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Juggernaut basic attack is a 2 hit combo?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Sith Juggernaut basic attack is a 2 hit combo?

Rowan_Reynor
01.11.2019 , 08:14 PM | #1
I'm currently rolling a sith juggernaught as my warrior character but I noticed that the basic attacks seem to be doing ony two strikes in the combo with a short delay in between the combos. Is this normal for the juggernaut? Seems like the attacks are very slow.

EvanSnowWolf
01.11.2019 , 08:17 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Rowan_Reynor View Post
I'm currently rolling a sith juggernaught as my warrior character but I noticed that the basic attacks seem to be doing ony two strikes in the combo with a short delay in between the combos. Is this normal for the juggernaut? Seems like the attacks are very slow.
I wouldn't worry about the speed of your basic attacks. I main a Sith Immortal and tank for my guild in Operations and I can tell you that we don't actually use that button all that often. Eventually, regardless of what spec you are, you will settle into a core Rage spending rotation that will have "Filler" buttons between uses. Your basic will seldomly be used. I wouldn't concern yourself about it too much.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

Rowan_Reynor
01.11.2019 , 08:34 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
I wouldn't worry about the speed of your basic attacks. I main a Sith Immortal and tank for my guild in Operations and I can tell you that we don't actually use that button all that often. Eventually, regardless of what spec you are, you will settle into a core Rage spending rotation that will have "Filler" buttons between uses. Your basic will seldomly be used. I wouldn't concern yourself about it too much.
So what abilities you recommend i use instead to substitute for my main attacks? Should note that im just going throught the sith warrior story ATM. Not ready to take my sith guy out to pvp and group stuff yet?

SteveTheCynic
01.12.2019 , 06:57 AM | #4
So what abilities you recommend i use instead to substitute for my main attacks? Should note that im just going throught the sith warrior story ATM. Not ready to take my sith guy out to pvp and group stuff yet?
You have it backwards. For all classes and all specs, your basic attack is an emergency substitute for the real attacks. As for what you use instead of the basic attack, well, basically anything.

You don't say which Sith Warrior discipline you're using, so I'll assume you're using the "default" discipline, Vengeance.

Sundering Assault, Saber Throw, Enrage, and Force Charge all are useful (more than the basic attack) for building rage.

Ravage is a powerful attack that only works "up close" and doesn't use rage, but as a result has a slightly painful cooldown time between uses.

Vengeful Slam is a nice point-blank area of effect attack that will lightly stun low-power enemies.

Force Belch(1). Er. Force Scream is a ranged attack that consumes rage and can lightly stun weaker enemies.

Shatter consumes rage, but instantly ends the cooldown of Ravage, allowing you to use it again immediately.

You then have Impale, Force Choke (stuns enemy, allowing you to hit him with other attacks), Retaliation, Hew, and so on, all of which are more useful than the basic attack. Use the basic attack only when you have *everythjng else* on cooldown and your character's rage bar (directly under your red health bar by your character portrait) is empty.

(1) Listen to your character when you use this ability and you'll see why I call it Force Belch.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

PorsaLindahl
01.14.2019 , 05:17 AM | #5
That would depend on your level. Steve's advice would be solid if you were 65+, but if you're still going through your vanilla story arc, then I would assume you were much lower and lacking some of those abilities.

If that's the case, then you still want to keep your default attack "within reach" to help maintain your rage. As already stated, you will rarely need it once you get to end game. There are guides out there. Just make sure you get one that's up to date (many are very outdated).

To answer your question, since no one else has: Yes. Assault is a double attack. Keep in mind though, that one or both swings could miss or be blocked.

SteveTheCynic
01.14.2019 , 06:16 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
Steve's advice would be solid if you were 65+, but if you're still going through your vanilla story arc, then I would assume you were much lower and lacking some of those abilities.
Yes, that's a good point, and I'll admit that I didn't think about that when I wrote what I wrote. Sorry, OP.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Adric_the_Red
01.15.2019 , 01:00 PM | #7
If you watch closely, you will notice that there are actually two or three different animations for that "default" attack. (Most of the variations come when that attack is the "killing blow", but you will see some variations if you spam it enough). Regardless of that, or how "slow" those "combos" seem, they take less time than the GCD*. So don't worry about how long they take. You're locked out of doing anything else** anyway.

*GCD = Global Cool Down, a wait timer that limits how quickly you can do your next combat action. Basically, you can't do another attack until the GCD runs out.

**There are a few "special" attacks that will "ignore" the GCD. They will also "ignore" the animation of whatever else you're doing, and "hit" right away.
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.