Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seriously: Who was the genius who put gunships in this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Seriously: Who was the genius who put gunships in this game?

arkanone
06.28.2014 , 09:15 PM | #1
I have some fond memories of the X-wing and Tie Fighter games. You had a few objectives to complete and a whole lot of dogfigting.

But this...game(putting it nicely) is nothing but getting hit by railshots and ion shots while you're trying to dogfight.

Why?

The Star Wars movies were heavily influenced by the dogfight action of World War II. There were no sniper gunships that zip away faster than a scout ship as soon as anybody had the audacity to engage them. Outside of the DEATH STAR there was no one-shotting of any craft in Star Wars. There was no auto-aim ability for anybody.

I'm just asking: why take something so good that alot of fans are fond of and screw it up so completely?

Zoom_VI
06.28.2014 , 09:25 PM | #2
Yes, space sniper in dogfighting game, makes little sense.

On the other hand the fact that bombers counter the interceptors and the interceptors counter the fighters, doesn't make sense either. (IRL and in pretty much every other game, it works opposite.)

GSF doesn't make sense

Deal with it.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Ryuku-sama
06.28.2014 , 09:39 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Yes, space sniper in dogfighting game, makes little sense.

On the other hand the fact that bombers counter the interceptors and the interceptors counter the fighters, doesn't make sense either. (IRL and in pretty much every other game, it works opposite.)

GSF doesn't make sense

Deal with it.
Wait... Fighters are countered by interceptors?? Talk to my StarGuard. Interceptors are countered by bombers?? Talk to any quad'n'pod or my sportscar.

On the matter. Gunships make no sense? Maybe. Are they harming the game? No. Are they hard to deal with? No. Are they easy to kill? Yes. There is two gunships I fear to fight in 1vs1. Alex and Aimbot. There is a lot of cattlescout I fear tho. Stasie, Ceru, Nemmy and it goes on.

If you can't deal with gunships, it's either a L2P issue or a n00b issue. Both are resolved by actually learning to play (n00bs need to buy themselves a brain before tho).
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Nemarus
06.28.2014 , 10:17 PM | #4
I think Gunships add depth in battles between experienced premades on voice.

I think Gunships are absolutely terrible to throw individual or non-expert pilots against. I do believe they are one of the major reasons GSF never took off.

Having ships that fire from long range? Sure... if they didn't do enough damage (that comes without warning from across the map) to cripple or heavily damage most ships in one shot.

And when they fly in formation and cover each other? It removes the possibility of dogfighting and pursuit entirely.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

dancezwithnubz
06.28.2014 , 10:23 PM | #5
I've come to like the addition of Gunships in this sort of game.
They add an extra dimension to combat.

Nemarus
06.28.2014 , 10:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by dancezwithnubz View Post
I've come to like the addition of Gunships in this sort of game.
They add an extra dimension to combat.
That would be great if they didn't also contribute to killing the experience of potential new GSF players.

I'd rather have extra players, that would justify more game type and map development, than extra depth for a small minority who still play.

But Gunships and Bombers are just way too hard for new pilots to deal with, especially when they are stuck in very poor loadouts of T1 Scout and Strike.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Verain
06.28.2014 , 10:48 PM | #7
Quote:
But this...game(putting it nicely) is nothing but getting hit by railshots and ion shots while you're trying to dogfight.

Why?
Because I have good aim.

Quote:
I'm just asking: why take something so good that alot of fans are fond of and screw it up so completely?
IMO gunships are a rousing success.

Quote:
That would be great if they didn't also contribute to killing the experience of potential new GSF players.
New players will lose and whine about anything at all. Railguns are just a perennial favorite. Certainly, the graphical representation of the railgun- specifically, a trail would be fantastic to leave in the air, and don't start talking about a spartan laser terrible whatever- could use some work.

Quote:
But Gunships and Bombers are just way too hard for new pilots to deal with, especially when they are stuck in very poor loadouts of T1 Scout and Strike.
I think every player should start with a gunship and a bomber. I think it would really help a lot with the game's approachability.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Devrius
06.28.2014 , 11:49 PM | #8
I think GSs are one of the reason GSF will never take off and new players quit in a hurry.

Nothing says: "FU newb!" more then getting killed by something you never saw, at least with T2 scouts you know who and how he got you but GS? When you start the game, you try to learn to fly, aim lasers, lock-n missiles and evade fire, oh and keep and eye out for the snipers wayyyy out of your range that will one-shoot you while you try to dogfight.

GS are the snipers of GSF, as in that one class everyone falls back on in Counter Strike like online games when the enemy is a better player then you are.

This a classic scenario on PoT5 and Harbringer as of late: "Oh noes, they have a 10 point lead in TDM, okay half the team grab a GS and just park yourself next to the bombers and slowly advance, once we get the lead we park ourselves near a wall and kill them as they try to close in to fight back! Since we are already in position even if they grab GSs of their own we'll still win!" And nine out of 10 times, the team that does that wins...

GSF has nothing to do with WWII dog-fighting unlike what the devs will tell you, it has much more to do with Team Fortress and Counter Strike then a real WWII plane game like War Thunder.

GS are a dumb idea, it like someone looked at GSF as said to himself: "You know how Strikes/Scouts/Bombers basically fight in melee range with knives/swords/lances and traps? Lets add a class that uses a scoped sniper rifle that is easier to aim then the melee weapons and can score kills from several times the other effective rnage!"

AceFirstCav
06.29.2014 , 03:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
On the matter. Gunships make no sense? Maybe. Are they harming the game?
YES, they are. Very few players is interested in to the be shot down during dogfight by someone staying out of fight. Lots of matches is turning last time from fun of the Strike/Scout dogfight to boring static war of GS and bombers because of their stacking.
Are they hard to deal with? Are they easy to kill?
In match of two equal teams is GS hard to deal and hard to kill. Protected by other ship with lots of time to run back. GSF is not 1vs1 game.
If you can't deal with gunships, it's either a L2P issue or a n00b issue. Both are resolved by actually learning to play (n00bs need to buy themselves a brain before tho).
Yep, if you would bring plane with AMRAAM (guided missile) to WWII fighter game and other complains, it would be because they are noobs and without brain on top of that

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
New players will lose and whine about anything at all. Railguns are just a perennial favorite. Certainly, the graphical representation of the railgun- specifically, a trail would be fantastic to leave in the air, and don't start talking about a spartan laser terrible whatever- could use some work.
New players probably expect same space fights as they are in SW movies/serials. Dogfights on close range, not playing targets for GS standing completly out of range of any weapon in game (except another GS). Dogfighting and shooting ducks are two different things and people whine about that of course.
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I think every player should start with a gunship and a bomber. I think it would really help a lot with the game's approachability.
Yes, that would nicely help to kill GSF. You can choose between very exciting farting mines on satelites and shooting pigeons, exactly as you saw in the SW movies. That is so much fun, that you donīt need to play it anymore.

Slivovidze
06.29.2014 , 03:57 AM | #10
Even though I have learned to deal with gunships, I still consider them friggin fun-killers that require half the skill to use.

Hell, I equipped my Comet Breaker to my loadout just for lulz and whenever I take it out it just kills everything without me even trying. And I am usually bad at sniping. Now it is hard for me to imagine what difficulties do those "awesome" shipers with their Quarrels and Manglers have? Playing that must be killing fun not only for everyone around, but also for them!
Sunrage of The Progenitor