Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Nova Dive even worth investing in

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Is Nova Dive even worth investing in

Nazarovis
06.25.2014 , 06:34 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
No ship is worthless, okay there is a case to be made about the T2 Gunships but even those can be deadly with the right build and pilot.

Have you checked Stasie's guide?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

It's pretty much required reading for new pilots, the T1 Scouts are great burst damage.

It does come with the Rapide Fire Laser trap, those are the worse lasers in the game, chnage them for Light Lasers and you'll see a huge improvement.
It's not really the damage that's holding me back. It's the maneuverability and engine power that I can't compete against higher tier fighters

Nazarovis
06.25.2014 , 06:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
In most cases, it is not worth spending time on the NovaDrive. Unless you are making full and impactful use of one of the NovaDrive's unique components (EMP Field, Sensor Beacon, or Shield to Engine Converter), you are flying a weaker version of something you could duplicate with a Flashfire. And the Flashfire, by nature of trading Sensors for a Reactor, is objectively more durable. Not to mention it having access to Burst Laser Cannons, Quad Lasers, Blaster Overcharge, and Cluster Missiles. Remember that both the NovaDrive and the Flashfire have the same base stats--the entirety of their differences comes from their components. So any claim that the NovaDrive can achieve good burst damage is true of an identical Flashfire build.

I am not saying the NovaDrive is worthless. In fact, it is my go-to ship in competitive TDM against other aces--but only because I have crafted a particular build for that specific gametype and situation, which requires unique features of the NovaDrive.

But for the average player, the NovaDrive is a giant trap.

If you have 5000 fleet req to spend, I highly suggest getting a Condor. It has more viable builds and play styles than any other ship. It can be a sniper, a missile spamming dogfighter, a Bomber killer... you don't even have to use a rail gun on it. It is difficult to build a bad one (though some builds are better than others).

Alternatively, if you are more interested in team support, you should look into a Spearpoint (if you like Scout speed) or a Clarion (if you want to be a nigh-unkillable tank/healer). The Clarion also is one of the best looking ships in the game, as it greatly resembles an X-wing or ARC170.

Any of the Bombers are also good, but you will get a LOT of aggro. Same with a Quarrel.

Whatever you do, do not buy a Comet Breaker.
Thanks! I think I will go with the X-Wing look alike heh
I like the tank aspect. Nova feels just vulnerable with not so much maneuverability or sustained speed

Nazarovis
06.25.2014 , 06:43 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Like... the Novadive is a great ship.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

With THAT link out of the way- and the mods absolutely need to sticky that thing...

The type 1 scout is ABSOLUTELY the most mobile ship in the game. Back before the devs nerfed DO, Drakolich had a version that scoop every Damage Overcharge and simply burst people down. It's the best at running, and very good at hit and running.

The type 2 scout is generally better, but that's not an issue with the novadive.

The novadive has several effective builds. You can build lasers and pods and basically be a flashfire with lower dps, and that's a fine build, but the ship really shines when using its many components that only IT has.

Shield to Engine means you can boost forever. This gives the ship two ways to do this- booster recharge being the other one. Giving up distortion sounds bad, but remember, you just are always boosting. No other ship can come close to this.

EMP field is a strong component that only this ship has. Destroying mines and locking out systems + engines means you can be effective at clearing a node while also being able to fly into melee range on a gunship or other evasive target and disable their engine, allowing your lock-on missile to fly (or your allies). Alternatively, talenting it to disable systems + shields means that a bomber struck with it can't press charged plating, and no one can distortion field either.

Targeting Telemetry is generally considered a best in slot component, mostly even with blaster overcharge. This allows you to absolutely score kills, and stacks very well with rocket pods. Certainly a type 2 could do this, however.

EDIT: Originally I had this incorrect gem:
Power Dive, not available to the type 2 scout, gives you an amazing missile break on a very short timer.
But like, powerdive is on the flashfire as well. I guess since forever?
/ed

Sab probe is an interesting combo with EMP field. Mostly this build is not considered effective because of the cooldown reliance, but it is still powerful. A sab probe pretty much ends a target normally.

Thermite, not available to a type 2 scout, is more suited for a running based playstyle where you flee from danger and threaten opponents with a missile tone, boost towards them, release close, and engine component to escape. Thermite is very deadly.

Basically, if you look at all the scout builds, you can find some that the type 2 is better at- but you can also find some that ONLY the NovaDive has.

It's a good ship.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to have shield to engine boost. I was focusing on distortion mainly. I haven't even touched EMP...I guess I'll have to do more research

Nazarovis
06.25.2014 , 08:14 PM | #24
More questions...should i go for regeneration or turn or speed when it comes to thrusters?

Nemarus
06.25.2014 , 09:28 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Nazarovis View Post
More questions...should i go for regeneration or turn or speed when it comes to thrusters?
If you do lots of hit and fade, regen. If you like to stick around and dogfight, Turning.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Ryuku-sama
06.25.2014 , 09:32 PM | #26
If you do lots of hit and fade, regen. If you like to stick around and dogfight, Turning.
If you do 'hit'n'fade' with StE Converter, Speed is better... You won't lack any regen, and Turning won't give you much.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Nemarus
06.25.2014 , 09:46 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
If you do 'hit'n'fade' with StE Converter, Speed is better... You won't lack any regen, and Turning won't give you much.
You will indeed lack regen, even with S2E--assuming you aren't using Booster Recharge.

Trust me. I'm pretty good at this build

Nazarovis
06.25.2014 , 10:16 PM | #28
I'm more of a pursuit or escaping...
But some times i get locked in with dog fight where i'm just turning and turning endlessly. easy bait for gunships..
I have regen right now

Ryuku-sama
06.25.2014 , 11:29 PM | #29
You will indeed lack regen, even with S2E--assuming you aren't using Booster Recharge.

Trust me. I'm pretty good at this build
Nice kills... I assume you did this before 2.8

And don,t forget I am the one who used first StE + Booster Recharge back at launch... Even If I was using BR back then and not Power Dive like I do now. I indeed assumed you had infinite boosting capacity... Thing only achievable with both...

Quote: Originally Posted by Nazarovis View Post
I'm more of a pursuit or escaping...
But some times i get locked in with dog fight where i'm just turning and turning endlessly. easy bait for gunships..
I have regen right now
If you get locked in a turning dogfight... Hit your booster run 3-7km depending of your opponent weaponry and turn back. charge them cannon blazing and rockets flying. Normally most will die, or panic.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Nemarus
06.25.2014 , 11:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
Nice kills... I assume you did this before 2.8

And don,t forget I am the one who used first StE + Booster Recharge back at launch... Even If I was using BR back then and not Power Dive like I do now. I indeed assumed you had infinite boosting capacity... Thing only achievable with both...

If you get locked in a turning dogfight... Hit your booster run 3-7km depending of your opponent weaponry and turn back. charge them cannon blazing and rockets flying. Normally most will die, or panic.
Yes, those are from 2.7. I've been leveling the new ships since 2.8 came out. Once they are masters, I'll go back to using my Blackbolt and and NovaDrive.

With Booster Recharge, speed thrusters would be your best bet. But I find Targeting Telemetry absolutely essential for actually getting lots of kills. I used to her Concentrated Fire with it, but 6 seconds of uptime is too short. I've switched to Wingman. Accuracy is vital when using rocket pods.