Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

@Devs: Please check Slug Railgun Crit talent (possible bug)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
@Devs: Please check Slug Railgun Crit talent (possible bug)

Fractalsponge
06.20.2014 , 02:43 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
This sort of analysis is utterly fruitless. You are bumbling around trying to articulate a prior over which kind of shot happens more often.

The fact is there is exactly one kind of shot that we know happens with regularity where crit matters: full charge slug shot against a battle scout. Everything else your prior should be pretty much neutral to slug vs crit. Ergo, you should (weakly) favor crit.
There is enough uncertainty in what a battlescout may be running that you can't see a full crit ever reliably one-shotting one. Assuming free rein to fire full charged shots, 10% wins because it's higher averaged dps. The question I was getting at was a more niche one - "what will kill a target more given a limited firing/charging window." You're right, it is really difficult to model. You'd likely have to simulate it, which no one has the time for.

tldr; YMMV, just my way of dealing with the games I typically see.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Verain
06.20.2014 , 03:28 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
It generates the most shots per unit time. Although actually an even better target would be an enemy capship that isn't a current spawn point (least likely to be interrupted, won't ever kill it).
Now THAT is a good idea.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Verain
06.20.2014 , 03:32 PM | #13
I don't follow the "favor crit because it can one shot a specific scout under special circumstances when you roll a certain number" being the only strategy. It's definitely a strategy, however.

I would argue that:

1)- You take MANY shots against opponents with less than 1760 life.
2)- Many of those shots can be released earlier with 10% damage, making weapon power and time more efficient. Time at roost is the gunship's main resource, after all.

But, I often lead with ion. Much less charge time for a solid effect, and my target often has to peel or die.

Again, I think that's a different strat.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do with the cap ship turret thing.

Fractalsponge
06.20.2014 , 03:59 PM | #14
The only reasons not to lead with Ion is if the target is low to begin with, or you don't have ion
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Verain
06.20.2014 , 05:21 PM | #15
I've seen good gunships go both ways, so I dispute that.

IWantOffLineGame
06.20.2014 , 09:36 PM | #16
I'd like to know if only hit targets have a chance to crit or not. So if I miss a shot, I don't have to wonder if that was a crit shot that just missed.

I find when one shot crits, my 2nd shot will crit about 30-50% of the time.

Because it's chance, you could take 100 shots and get 0 crits. But lets say you take 100 shots and 16 of them were to crit.

Crits are an extra 800 damage, so 16 x 800 = 12,800.

vs

160 guaranteed extra damage per shot, so 100 x 160 = 16,000

That's an extra 3,200 per 100 shots. Overall, 1760 Slug will do better DPS than a 2400 crit Slug, but crit shots CAN take down an enemy faster, saving energy. It all depends on the HP of a ship.

I've killed ships with 1k HP, but because it crit, it was wasted and a 2.4k crit shot on bombers between 1761 & 2400 HP will save time & energy.

As I have 17 Gunships, 4 of which are mastered, I use both 1760 & 2400 slugs, both with pros/cons and do not feel any is superior to the other.

Magira
06.21.2014 , 02:01 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I've seen good gunships go both ways, so I dispute that.
Because it almost does not matter. Both have their advantages small on rare occasions. The talent itself is weak and not worth the 15000 Req. But anyway, I've already mastered the Munitions Capacity Extender with my Mangler.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

MaximilianPower
06.21.2014 , 12:04 PM | #18
FWIW, though anecdotal/sample size caveats/etcetera - I have fired a crapton of rails since the update (with the crit talent) and haven't noticed anything screwy with crit rates. No apparent difference to me. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Verain
06.21.2014 , 05:23 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by IWantOffLineGame View Post
I'd like to know if only hit targets have a chance to crit or not. So if I miss a shot, I don't have to wonder if that was a crit shot that just missed.
You are asking whether it is "one roll" or "two roll".

I am convinced it is "two roll" and that your miss could absolutely have been a crit.

First it rolls your miss chance.

If it's a hit, then it rolls your hit/crit chance.

Meaning if you have a 16% hit chance, 16% of your hits will turn into crits, not 16% of your shots.

MystbladeWA
06.21.2014 , 07:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
But anyway, I've already mastered the Munitions Capacity Extender with my Mangler.
Can I ask why you did that?
Hold'My'Beer Chill
I'Got'This Legacy