Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you feel about time to kill in GSF?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How do you feel about time to kill in GSF?

Danalon
06.21.2014 , 03:00 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
3 shots make a 1s TTK. The first one is at t=0s, then 0.5s between each shot if no frequency improvements.
According to dulfy fire rate is 92 rpm including frequency capacitor. So it's 1.3 seconds then.

Altheran
06.21.2014 , 03:07 PM | #22
My bad, you're completely right. For a reason in my head RPM was 120 instead of 80.

My memory is not at its fullest these days.

Danalon
06.21.2014 , 03:20 PM | #23
I miscalculated too. Got numbers twisted and used 92/60=1.5... for whatever reason.

Verain
06.21.2014 , 04:43 PM | #24
I don't think the TTK calculated here has *much* importance. In an MMO there's the expectation of some degree of uptime that just isn't present in GSF.

I think it's fair to talk about whether there's response times and warnings and interactivities. Like when I complain about the TTK on scouts, it is largely because the scout can hard swap to a new target, pop a cooldown, and get a generally hard to counter kill, even while people are on him. Partly, this is an issue with latency as well- the scout's client is registering shots that you have no chance to really respond to, even if YOUR connection is flawless.

Gunships pop up here too, but the necessity of holding still to charge a shot means that there are meaningful counters, especially including cooldowns, line of sight, and heals.

Meanwhile, I think strikes are not threatening enough. The reliance on lock on missiles choreographs their interest and intents, and allows for meaningful counters pretty much every time.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

tunewalker
06.21.2014 , 05:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I don't think the TTK calculated here has *much* importance. In an MMO there's the expectation of some degree of uptime that just isn't present in GSF.

I think it's fair to talk about whether there's response times and warnings and interactivities. Like when I complain about the TTK on scouts, it is largely because the scout can hard swap to a new target, pop a cooldown, and get a generally hard to counter kill, even while people are on him. Partly, this is an issue with latency as well- the scout's client is registering shots that you have no chance to really respond to, even if YOUR connection is flawless.

Gunships pop up here too, but the necessity of holding still to charge a shot means that there are meaningful counters, especially including cooldowns, line of sight, and heals.

Meanwhile, I think strikes are not threatening enough. The reliance on lock on missiles choreographs their interest and intents, and allows for meaningful counters pretty much every time.
Hey verain I had a Thought, probably not a good thought but its a thought. What if missiles only gave the launch tone instead of giving the warning tone the entire time they were being locked, that would make them a little less choreographed.

GooberNoob
06.21.2014 , 05:33 PM | #26
I would be happy to see missiles have 0 lockon time and higher cooldowns. The way lockons break with lag makes them rather annoying to use, I have had a target in the middle of my sights and well with range break lock 3-4 times because of lag (type 1 and type 2 bombers, they don't have any missile breaks) if it was a rare fluke i would be ok with it, but it happens way too often.

Verain
06.21.2014 , 05:35 PM | #27
The game probably SHOULD have been designed that way tbh, with lesser missile travel times.

Right now, it makes NO sense in-game as to what is going on:

First, your ship computer starts like, "concentrating" on getting a lock. Somehow, this is detectable (charging railguns and firing rockets, of course, makes no such impression).

Once it has concentrated enough, then a missile can be fired.

Note that you can't even start this "concentration" until you have a missile loaded- it doesn't even work if you don't have a missile loaded (reload time, no missile equipped, out of missiles).

So you're left assuming that the missile lock is something that the missile is doing? Before it is launched? In which case, why can't you like lock multiples at once, or whatever?

Anyway, it doesn't make sense. Your change makes it like actual missiles in the real world and then increase the flight time though- I think that would be a pretty swell change if done properly.

Danalon
06.21.2014 , 06:31 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post

Can't see the difference between "gunships need to hold still in 15km distance to get a hard to counter kill" and "scouts need to get into less than 3km range (or closer or pop cooldowns) to get a hard to coutner kill". It's not like that a scout is invisible. If you see one or more big triangles on the border of your firing arch (or whatever that circle is called), you should expect getting shot at and start evading. Also if a scout is able to kill someone even if he already is busy evading another person (or more than one?) and still can score a kill on someone else, he has earned it because either he trades his life against his target's or he is good enough to not get killed (or the person targeting the scout is just bad at aiming and that has nothing to do with scouts).

Verain
06.21.2014 , 06:36 PM | #29
I said it in the post- the gunship is at least shut down by pressure, the scout may or may not be.

Danalon
06.21.2014 , 06:47 PM | #30
Not every gunship pilot is shutdown by pressure. Nor is it difficult to apply pressure to a scout.