Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Seriously: Who was the genius who put gunships in this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Seriously: Who was the genius who put gunships in this game?

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
06.29.2014 , 03:39 PM | #31
Gunships are fine for me when it comes to design.

I see them as RL mortar cannons, put in space. Immobile, using ballistics...
They may not have been seen in SW lore, but I don't see why it may not exist.

The only things I'm not fine with, are :
  • Slug Rail damage
    So high that not using any other rail with it, imply very few down sides damage-wise. As a result, Plasma has no point, and the Cometbreaker has none either since the missiles are neither needed, neither Plasma.
    Also makes Gunship walls very effective since them being numerous tends to force not using Plasma or Ion (because they have conditional use, and conditions may not be fulfilled with a sudden shot coming from another GS) and since the use of slug only does not have significant drawback...
  • Ion Rail drain
    Very high, so that it's used as a CC/disruption shot rather than a Shield killing shot.

Ryuku-sama's Avatar


Ryuku-sama
06.29.2014 , 04:07 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Comradebot View Post
Ain't like you can go create your pre-made when you're only bringing inexperience and non-upgraded fighters to the table.
I have to disagree with the non-upgraded fighter. Inexperience is a killer. True.
I'm currently running a Novadive (base scout) with StE Converter mastered (15500), LLC mastered (36000), Power Dive T2 (5500) and Speed Thruster mastered (6000). So about 63000 req invested in my ship. But I was dangerous long before that. Once I got StE Converter T2 and Power Dive T2, I was almost as dangerous as I'm now. So only 11000 req. Every ship can be dangerous with very few upgrades. In good hands.

If you have a missile break engine, upgrade to T2.
If you are running Barrel Roll, master Distorsion ASAP. If you can't field Disto, find a new engine.
If you have a component that transfer energy from a pool to another (except EtW), get it to T2.
Then master your shield, armor and reactor.

*BAM* You suddenly have the tools to survive. and it is far from the most costly upgrade.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Naz_Palehorse's Avatar


Naz_Palehorse
06.29.2014 , 05:14 PM | #33
The trick to dealing with Gunships is being aware of all those red dots on your map. Hit tab often, especially when you see new red dots pop up. If one is a gunship, the top right of your screen has a view of the ship from your perspective, even if you can't see it yourself. If that gunship is facing you, and the number that denotes distance is <15000m, well.. you should assume he's trying to kill you and hit your engine maneuver. Since most gunships like to snipe from close to their max range, you can also just turn and boost out of their firing range - this takes much less time than they have to spend charging a shot. This is assuming that you can't just put an obstacle in the way like an asteroid or rock formation. Alternatively, if you're in something like a scout, hit distortion and boost up to them to get an easy kill (or at the very least put them on the run so they aren't sniping).

I can agree with what some people here have said about gunships being setting-inappropriate, just being a transparent PvP game convention that has no connection to Star Wars, but I haven't found them to be overpowered. I kind of like them, because my half-upgraded Blackbolt (the only ship I've really got) eats them for breakfast. Most importantly, even though they hit pretty hard, they are engaged with the rest of the game and provide opportunities for both offensive and defensive counterplay, which is fun.
Kor'vai - The Harbinger

Ryuku-sama's Avatar


Ryuku-sama
06.29.2014 , 05:21 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Naz_Palehorse View Post
The trick to dealing with Gunships is being aware of all those red dots on your map. Hit tab often, especially when you see new red dots pop up. If one is a gunship, the top right of your screen has a view of the ship from your perspective, even if you can't see it yourself. If that gunship is facing you, and the number that denotes distance is <15000m, well.. you should assume he's trying to kill you and hit your engine maneuver. Since most gunships like to snipe from close to their max range, you can also just turn and boost out of their firing range - this takes much less time than they have to spend charging a shot. This is assuming that you can't just put an obstacle in the way like an asteroid or rock formation. Alternatively, if you're in something like a scout, hit distortion and boost up to them to get an easy kill (or at the very least put them on the run so they aren't sniping).
I normally boost to them in every single ship i am if i can get in range before the next shot. Even on a bomber. Most GS pilots are so surprised they forget to kill me and I score a kill.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Naz_Palehorse's Avatar


Naz_Palehorse
06.29.2014 , 05:29 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
I normally boost to them in every single ship i am if i can get in range before the next shot. Even on a bomber. Most GS pilots are so surprised they forget to kill me and I score a kill.
And if the target view shows them facing a totally different direction while stationary, that's a cue to go destroy them as well. Gunships are only "OP" if people ignore them and allow them to sit still, sniping with impunity.

Boosting 15000m doesn't take a long at all. It seems like a long way, but that's because most of the stuff in this game is moving as well so closing with it can be tricky. A target that's just sitting there in one spot waiting for you to kill it, though.. It might get one shot off at you, which isn't enough
Kor'vai - The Harbinger

Asbetos's Avatar


Asbetos
06.29.2014 , 08:57 PM | #36
QQ delete gunships QQ Stop whining and L2P. As for you Ace, if you have problems dealing with gunships (and I know you do, first hand), go ask Kessler and Zolo for tips.
The Progenitor
Darth Xinthos Skykiller <Retaliation>
Captain Zyka Skykiller <Sons of Anarchy>

Obviousenuendo's Avatar


Obviousenuendo
06.29.2014 , 09:34 PM | #37
TDM, match full of people with 5 ships and two with only one, a striker, trying to be show-offs
in my bomber for lulz and req. points. only get 1 or 2 kills

We start to fall behind, and I finally die. (by the noob with only a striker)

I get mad, take out the standard gunship, annihilate everything without care, mercy or skill, getting 7 - 8 kills.

we win the match 50-48



Working as intended

AceFirstCav's Avatar


AceFirstCav
06.29.2014 , 10:11 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Asbetos View Post
QQ delete gunships QQ Stop whining and L2P. As for you Ace, if you have problems dealing with gunships (and I know you do, first hand), go ask Kessler and Zolo for tips.
Yes, of course, Im not able to shot down GS. If you are trying to turn this in to personal issue, use PM please.

Its so easy to say that anyone who have another opinion is whiner and need L2P.