Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Last of the updates for now.

I'll be happy to do so! You have no idea how much this means to the SGR community. You guys using your journalism skills will at least give this community an answer, which is all we're asking for.

As the writer of the SGR FAQ, I decided to see if I had missed something with the Cantina Tour statements. I try to keep that FAQ as up to date and as accurate as possible. My own searching revealed nothing about Same Gender Romances, unfortunately.

I've been leading an email campaign to get the word out. This is incredible. If it sounds like I'm gushing, I am. That deleted Tweet was literally the last word we've had on this. I hope you can understand why that drove me to this action. Once the word is fully out by the press, I'd like this knowledge to be spread. I really feel that this needs to be known and to clear the misconceptions once and for all

As an American on the night shift, may I say cheers to you too!

Thanks for making my night!

do you have any screenshots from the Hall Hood tweet? If we can't get them to answer any questions, we might be able to smoke them out...

Can I give your email to Lisa ? She will then contact you.

Cheers

Soeren

Sadly, I do not. I didn't even think about that, just copied and pasted it. Grr, that would have helped too. I can ask more members of the thread if they have an actual screenshot when more of them wake up in a few hours.

Now I wish I had screen shotted that Tweet directly. Here it is, for the record:

Hall Hood @hallhood (1 of 2) To all the folks who have been expressing interest in SGRs, here is the official word from Gabe Amatangelo:

This was taken down the same night as it went up.

Oh, this gets a little stranger. The community has a bad feeling that Mr. Hood not allowed to talk about this. Here's a couple of recent Tweets:

https://twitter.com/hallhood/status/275778065337053185

https://twitter.com/hallhood/status/276537526452355072

I've concluded that it's someone in management that isn't allowing anyone to speak up about this. It looks like a serious communication breakdown is taking/has taken place.

I'll be frank. Most of the posters/players in support of this content could live if the answer was no. Or just about any answer really, as long as it was concrete and official. If this is delayed and/or scrapped due to the sweeping changes in BW-Austin, then we could handle that. I wouldn't be very happy, but I would be satisfied with the honesty. They need to come out publicly and say something one way or another.

Lisa certainly can have my email address! I can try to give you guys any background information you might need. If you saw the size of that FAQ, I've got a lot of information right at my finger tips.

Finally, I sent this after a ton of googling.

I only wish I was making any of this stuff up about the delete Tweet and all of that.

I'm heading to bed shortly, since I have a tooth extraction in the morning.

All I could find related to Mr. Hood's tweet was on a google search using the phrase: TORwars (1 of 2) To all the folks who have been expressing interest in SGRs, here is the official word from Gabe Amatangelo

That was the only site that talked about it at all other than the SGR related thread. It was gone within hours. No one expected it to be deleted, which is why it was only copied and pasted.

That's all I can find anywhere. We're not crazy and I have no grudge against the company, so I wouldn't make this up.

That video of Gabe's is the one I sent to you guys. Forgive me, but I don't think an off-handed comment from a non-story developer counts.

Thanks again for looking into this!

Cheers to you and Lisa,

And nope, the Cantina thing never said a word either. I love Google.

Now I'm off to bed. If anyone has a direct screenshot of the deleted Tweet, please please PM it to me so I can get it off to the press.

Night. :)

Edited by natashina

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that I'm often prone to wombat-levels of stubbornness (that was an odd comparision.. I must be tired), I went back to where that wily and elusive Tweet was first mentioned - turned out to be Page 166. Doesn't look like anyone got a screengrab. Edited by Palar

Excellent work Natashina.

Thank you! :D

We can't rest on our laurels. It's not over yet.

Please, write to that site to make sure they know that several people want this content. We've got to keep the pressure up!

I also sent a follow up letter to GLAAD telling them about some of the changes that has happened here. So they have been contacted again as well.

As far as Imps talking to Pubs, well...I've seen this happen before. It did turn into a huge crap talking fest that caused the language rules to be changed. So I don't think that this is happen anytime soon. For friends on Pub side (since I don't play Pub atm,) I keep a document that has the list on my computer.

I wouldn't take that as any sort of sign that BioWare isn't listening. Neglecting the rest of the story is part of the issue. Same gender romance is a big part of the story for some.

This is all the more reason to keep on going. Our efforts are not in vain. If we can even get one news site to write an article, we can then spread this information across the net. Link it anywhere and everywhere that has game related news.

The separations of faction, while certainly important, are not on topic with this thread. I don't want to see your post get wiped. I would recommend saving your posts about that.

However, if you start a thread regarding that topic, I'll come and take a peek. I do think there is some valid points there.

No tooth extraction today. The dentist said I was fine for now but to come in after the New Year. :D

I'm going to go take a nap. Please get those letters out!

Remember: We've gotten the attention of the press. Keep the pressure going.

**hugs**

I hate to say it, but you probably won't hear back from them about SGRs. I sent them a PM last night on a different matter.

Before I lay down, here's a recap:.

I've written to many sites. It's got to be over 20 by now. If anyone wants the full and complete list, PM me and I can let you know. I'm losing count at this point, but I can always check my Sent folder on my email address. :p

gamesindustry.biz has replied to us with a very vague non-committal answer that BW-Austin gave them.

GLAAD has replied to us. I wrote to them when I found out that they cared about this content before. They have said that they were looking into this matter. With some of the changes, I wrote them a follow up letter last night. I would highly recommend everyone do the same or just write to them if they have not yet.

Now swtorstrategies.com has stated an interest in doing a story about this. Deleted Tweet aside, it looks like we've got ourselves a case. I spent quite some time Googling last night to just to make sure that BW has not said if SGRs are scrapped. Nope, nowhere on the net does it say at all that it has been scrapped. The PvP dev video is the closest we've had to any info since March.

So try to write to those sites. We're going to have much better luck with outside sources at this point. Goodness knows that BW is too chicken to publicly address any of the playerbase about this. :rolleyes:

I keep encouraging everyone to write in, because I can only do so much. The more we make the net aware of our presence, the greater chance of getting this resolved.

Also, if I get any more updates, you guys will know just about as soon as I do.

Edit: Speaking of updates...

I have already heard back from GLAAD. I sent that message at about 1am my time and it's now 11:30am

Here's what they said.

GLAAD

Hi Real Name,

Just to let you know that we have reached out to Bioware about this, and can confirm that these concerns have been heard. We will plan to follow back up with them again early next year, but also have reason to hope that an answer will be coming soon. Thanks for reaching out.

Edited by natashina

Hey, everyone! I'm back after a few months off, but now it's time to make some noise. There was something in General discussion about comparing TOR to other BioWare games, and that's a double standard when they say we shouldn't compare SGRs here with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, or even KotOR or KotOR II. WTH is wrong with that picture???

Is it so wrong to want to see two women kiss in a videogame? Am I wrong because I would like that here? If so, I don't wanna be right. :D

Edit: Speaking of updates...

I have already heard back from GLAAD. I sent that message at about 1am my time and it's now 11:30am

Here's what they said.

Good to know that GLAAD plan to get back to us, thank you for making a nuisance of yourself, Natashina :)

I got put on the naughty step for a little while, and even though I'm now back, I'm going to be calmer this time around, or at least try.

On a related note, no one loves me and I have no updates :(

On a related note, no one loves me and I have no updates :(

I'll offer some support here, been feeling the same way lately. ;)

On a different note, I'd like an answer soon. I'm running out of patience and am back to another BW game that I'm not allowed to mention here. :rolleyes:

Last post for a bit....

I can't today, I just can't.

I still believe in SGRs, but I can't do it today.

Somethings are more important. I won't say anything else here.

Excuse me, I have a candle to light and some phone calls to make.

Talk to you guys tomorrow. Take care of yourselves and each other.

**hugs**

PS: If anyone wants to chat, hit me with a PM.

Edited by natashina

This could just be idle speculation and a coincidence besides... but if there is a 9-week gap between 1.6 and 1.7, that would have the next patch coming out on the 12th of February (or the 14th if they go for a Thursday release). Edited by Nightjade

This could just be idle speculation and a coincidence besides... but if there is a 9-week gap between 1.6 and 1.7, that would have the next patch coming out on the 12th of February (or the 14th if they go for a Thursday release). Back to lurking...

They did say they're taking it slow during the holidays and that's why there will be a delay in the next patch. Sorry.

That wasn't a complaint sorry... and again this could just be a coincidence and completely unrelated to sgR but having a patch released around the 14th of February could also be seen as a positive sign... maybe I still have a bit too much optimism though...

Well... I am new to this game. And I didn't even try to read through this whole topic, but this is what I think.

I just leveled my Twi'lek Sentinel to 27, which is a lot of work for me, just to discover I don't have a free choice in romances. I played through ME and DA series and there I was able to create the character as I wanted to, more or less. Here I am forced to some choices. I am not a drolling teenager who wants to see female/female romance scene. I just want the posibility to choose. That's all on the matter. I won't decide which option is better 2a or 2b because it really doesn't matter to me right now. I am not so far in the story yet :)

PS. English is not my native language, so if there are any mistakes or missspelings just skip them and pretend you have never seen them :)

Welcome to the thread! Your English and spelling are just fine from what I can see. Trust me, native speakers do much worse. :p

I've gotten some rest and some perspective after some things happened yesterday, so I'd be happy to address your post.

There is a large FAQ in my signature, but I'll try to sum up parts of it for ya. :)

That OP is long since outdated and no longer relevant to the thread. It was decided back in March that it would be treated the same way as the current romances in the game. In short, there would be no extra filters or such just for same gender romance.

It'll be the same way it was for me with Quinn. I started the romance with him at first. After a certain part in the game I grew to really dislike him, so I ended it. The flirts did pop up twice after that, so I used the choice BioWare had already given me.

I just didn't pick that conversation option. So that's more or less how BioWare is going to continue to approach the game as far as we are aware.

This is going by what BioWare has told us in the past.

As far as any details (whether or not this would be for toons for above or below 50, who will the SGR options be, is it coming with new or current companions, can everyone have access to them, ect ect,) has not been addressed clearly at any point.

You're currently reading either incarnation #8 or #9 for this thread. Since the OP in January, it's been over 2,000 pages with over 30,000 posts.

As of the Guild Summit in March, they had stated it was coming. I can dig up the quotes and video links for you if you'd like. Those comments were made by Daniel Erickson, who is no longer with the company. He had also stated that they are not going to do pronoun swapping.

There has not been a single official word about SGRs since then. We've tried literally every single way you can think of to contact any current employee to come and speak about this matter.

Rather curiously, on October 15th, there was an article published by gamesindustry.biz that had EA talking at length about how proud they were to include LGBT content for that community.

However, they allowed the assumption that SGRs were already in ToR to be published. The posters here, including myself, had to write to the editor to get it fixed. There is a correction notice at the bottom of the article as a result.

As of November 30, I became aware that the American organization known as GLAAD had approached BioWare regarding this content before. GLAAD stands for Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

They had talked about helping the ToR playerbase get the first answer about SGRs back in September of last year.

Between the weird silence, the article and then the Livestream, many of us felt we were being used by the company for good public relations. So we began to write to GLAAD as well as several gaming sites. It's starting to pay off.

As of December 5, we got our first reply back from GLAAD via Facebook. A couple of days later, we got one from the same site as the article, saying that they had contacted BioWare about this.

If you go back about 20 or so pages, it'll catch you up to speed on a lot of these comments.

Late last night (in the US) I wrote to another site called swtorstrategies.com They got back to me right away, expressing an interest in doing an article about this. If all goes well, then I'll be making sure that every gaming site that might care has a link to the article.

I also sent a follow up letter to GLAAD as well last night. Within 10 1/2 hours, they had gotten back to me, stating that BioWare was aware of this issue and that GLAAD will continue to pursue the matter early next year. However, they did also state that they felt we'll get an answer soon.

Right now, after all of that, I know it'll be a little while before we'll hear an official and pubic statement from BioWare regarding this. Simply put, they're giving the employees lighter holidays this year, especially after last year's breakneck pace as the game launched.

If you'd like to see all that we have to date (except for the very recent responses from the press and from GLAAD,) I would recommend you check out the FAQ linked on my signature. It'll have quotes and links for just about every common question about the history of the thread as well as the history of SGRs in the game up to this point.

I appreciate the support. We'll try to get an answer soon.

Most of us don't want to hurt or crush the game. We don't want to have this come before any serious bug fixes, such as the infamous 32-bit memory leak and game crash. We're just after an answer now.

I don't want to hurt the company either. I do want BW-Austin to be adhered to the same standards as BW-Edmonton, which created all those great games.

Edited by natashina

Been replaying the first cutscene for smuggler...

Ok, Corso needs to become a SGR option for sure. :rolleyes:

"Got a name, kid?" Went through that scene back in March, so maybe my memory is off, but I had the impression even M.Smug thought so... perhaps the constant cinematic freezing (I think it took 9 goes of 'mashing my spacebar before giving up and playing a different character' to end the awkward pauses) was the coding dumping a bucket of water on him. "Bad character, that's a (distant) post-launch feature!"

*Or was it my Beta weekend that had the freezing? Eh, close enough.

Edited by Palar