Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it wrong that, revisiting SoR, made me think what the hell went wrong w KotFE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it wrong that, revisiting SoR, made me think what the hell went wrong w KotFE?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bncsmom
07.01.2017 , 03:24 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey Charles,

Although a portion of this is a gold post, please read it from my perspective as a player. Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I can tell how much you wanted to explain and how diligent you were to provide the details about KotFE and KotET. Everyone has been asking for more communication from the Dev Team, and you have done just that and I know we can count on more insight from you going forward.

I find it strange when anyone, who's never been on a Dev Team, been a writer, had to deliver a story, work with the voice actors, adjust the dialog, make changes to the Cinematics, and keep our attention through a great story, simply brush it aside or make snide remarks. It may nor may not be what we all wanted and we all have our opinions, but personally, if I was sitting across the table from you, and you told me this story, I would be more in awe and feel very humbled to just have that opportunity.

Now from Keith the Lead Producer and the guy who happens to sit next to you each day, I loved reading this tonight and am extremely thankful you are on the SWTOR team. Every day I get the chance to interact with you, discuss ideas, kick around new functions and features, talk about where you want to take the story, what areas of the game we want to see enhanced, what threads we should be responding to, what we want to do at our next Live Stream or the upcoming Cantina, and more. I seriously cannot wait to give everyone more details about what we're planning and when we plan to release it.

I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm for the game and your leadership. Have a fun and safe 4th of July weekend.

All the best,

Keith
You can find it strange all you want. A large portion of the playerbase has already stated they do not like Fallen Pants and beyond. This includes myself. I hate it. It's the biggest mistake in the game. I dread doing it again so much that I've just decided I won't take any more characters through it. I play the vanilla story through and I do some wzs, fps, ops, and GSF and that's about it, until I can find a new game to play. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. At that point, I'll take the money I spend here elsewhere, unless, of course you toss all of the stuff from the past two years in the can and start over with stuff that's more like the original stories were. Then, I might give this game another chance.

Yezzan
07.01.2017 , 03:34 AM | #122
Charles,

It is very clear that Bioware messed up with the KOTFE/KOTET expansions by totally diverting away from the classes in the game. While I understand that you had no choice but to abandon class-specific stories, there was no reason to have a generic story that you insert all classes in to.

I am a ninja with no medical training or experience but I am in the Operating theater performing brain surgery on a patient.

Does that make sense? I hope it doesn't because that's EXACTLY the kind of nonsense these last two expansions served us.

You could have maintained one story but tell it from 8 point of views. That way, even though you have 8 different people experiencing the same event, they all see it differently. The dialogue should remain true to the class so that players can feel a realistic attachment to the story that is unfolding for their character.

I think there was a grave Error in vision and execution that occurred. Financial constraints may have precluded BW from making class specific stories but it shouldn't have prevented the writers from preserving the personality and identity of all eight classes. I mean, if you are not a Sith Warrior or Inquisitor, the story doesn't make much sense.

The dialogue could have been specific to each class ( without changing the cutscenes) since they all had their own Voice actors anyways. Even just that would have made these expansions worth playing on all eight classes.

Ylliarus
07.01.2017 , 03:36 AM | #123
Charles and Keith, I want to apologise in name of the community for how nasty and rude the players can be. There are always people who will agree and disagree with what you do and what you implement into the game, but that doesn't mean they have a right to badmouth you or make snide remarks. Of course, everyone has a right to express their opinions and I am not saying they can't, but what people completely forget is to remain decent and polite, even if they disagree with the Devs or the direction they take the game. They think that because they pay for the game they are a shareholder and you have to do what they want, but that is not how it works. You develop a product and those that want can pay for its use. A sad pity, but I am afraid no one will be able to change that mentality.
For that all I apologise to Bioware and the team, I wish parts of the community and playerbase could be better and express more decency when writing down their opinions. Just watch how this will be dragged down through the mud because it stepped on the toes of some players, so once more, I apologise in name of the community.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Storm-Cutter
07.01.2017 , 04:04 AM | #124
Shame Charles and his team couldn't have hinted at a lot of this then let the players decide whether this was a story they wanted to explore or a load of old bobbins.

-------

Something along the lines of " would you be interested in the origins of the emperor, a new faction an end to the cold war ( albeit temporarily) being frozen in time for a while and losing your companions, then having to look them all up again and unravel the mysteries of the emperor and the force? ( all on a shoestring budget ) with new characters you can't get rid of and about a family you've never heard about before?"

- most Non-force users: "Nah, I think I'll pass. - This force thing is a load of old hokum. let me shoot things and root out traitors and smuggle stuff and fight wars and track down bounties."
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

LtGeneralGezlin
07.01.2017 , 04:15 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Charles and Keith, I want to apologise in name of the community for how nasty and rude the players can be. There are always people who will agree and disagree with what you do and what you implement into the game, but that doesn't mean they have a right to badmouth you or make snide remarks. Of course, everyone has a right to express their opinions and I am not saying they can't, but what people completely forget is to remain decent and polite, even if they disagree with the Devs or the direction they take the game. They think that because they pay for the game they are a shareholder and you have to do what they want, but that is not how it works. You develop a product and those that want can pay for its use. A sad pity, but I am afraid no one will be able to change that mentality.
For that all I apologise to Bioware and the team, I wish parts of the community and playerbase could be better and express more decency when writing down their opinions. Just watch how this will be dragged down through the mud because it stepped on the toes of some players, so once more, I apologise in name of the community.
Agreed! Reading some of the comments in this thread, and over on the SWTOR Subreddit (Which is no surprise, since a majority of the mods there seem to hate the game), makes me think of this scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (NSFW. But it is Kevin Smith, so... ), and it reminds me of why I very rarely get involved in conversations with fellow players on the forums or the Subreddit. Twitter is pretty good!
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
65 Gunslinger, 65 Commando, 60 Sentinel, 65 Shadow.
53 Operative, 54 Mercenary, 65 Marauder, 63 Juggernaut, 54 Sorcerer.

MeNaCe-NZ
07.01.2017 , 04:41 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey Charles,

Although a portion of this is a gold post, please read it from my perspective as a player. Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I can tell how much you wanted to explain and how diligent you were to provide the details about KotFE and KotET. Everyone has been asking for more communication from the Dev Team, and you have done just that and I know we can count on more insight from you going forward.

I find it strange when anyone, who's never been on a Dev Team, been a writer, had to deliver a story, work with the voice actors, adjust the dialog, make changes to the Cinematics, and keep our attention through a great story, simply brush it aside or make snide remarks. It may nor may not be what we all wanted and we all have our opinions, but personally, if I was sitting across the table from you, and you told me this story, I would be more in awe and feel very humbled to just have that opportunity.

Now from Keith the Lead Producer and the guy who happens to sit next to you each day, I loved reading this tonight and am extremely thankful you are on the SWTOR team. Every day I get the chance to interact with you, discuss ideas, kick around new functions and features, talk about where you want to take the story, what areas of the game we want to see enhanced, what threads we should be responding to, what we want to do at our next Live Stream or the upcoming Cantina, and more. I seriously cannot wait to give everyone more details about what we're planning and when we plan to release it.

I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm for the game and your leadership. Have a fun and safe 4th of July weekend.

All the best,

Keith
Yet another awesome post. Wow guys, this is whole new level of communication we've never seen before in this game or to be honest ... any game.

Great to see the comradery between you and that you're not afraid to actually put these post out into the community for us to see.

Eshvara
07.01.2017 , 04:50 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Yet another awesome post. Wow guys, this is whole new level of communication we've never seen before in this game or to be honest ... any game.

Great to see the comradery between you and that you're not afraid to actually put these post out into the community for us to see.
Exactly!!
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

Ylliarus
07.01.2017 , 05:41 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post

I second this fully
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

menofhorror
07.01.2017 , 05:43 AM | #129
One thing is naturally true. Because of the anonymity people will often give their brutal, honest thoughts. That's the curse of the Internet I would say.

I think though it's cool that Charles is open in his thoughts and Keith is sticking up to him. Good teamwork makes work more enjoyable.

Mewsy
07.01.2017 , 05:53 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by LtGeneralGezlin View Post
Agreed! Reading some of the comments in this thread, and over on the SWTOR Subreddit (Which is no surprise, since a majority of the mods there seem to hate the game), makes me think of this scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (NSFW. But it is Kevin Smith, so... ), and it reminds me of why I very rarely get involved in conversations with fellow players on the forums or the Subreddit. Twitter is pretty good!
Ugh, that clip is pretty much spot on with some of these comments. They're much more interesting in getting a mean spirited rant out than providing actual constructive criticism.