Opposite sex romance

Darth_Bond

Is it weird if your a guy and wanna roll a female toon?

I did it in wow because females had better casting animations, but in this game with the addition of romance, it seems weird.

And while we're on the subject, how many of you have rolled female characters even though your straight males?

I play a female Shadow and I'm a straight male. I'm not going to shy away from the relationship part. I think it all comes down to a combination of your own security in your sexuality and in how closely you relate to your character.

Bottom line: If you're not comfortable with the romance aspect while playing a female toon, just don't make those choices.

I too have always played female characters in MMOs and am 100% heterosexual. I was actually talking about this with a buddy of mine last night and how I was regretting rolling my Sage as a female. I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of romancing a male companion, but at the same time I feel like I'm missing out on a really big part of the game. And Nadia is so just so damn cute, but she's off limits to me because my Sage is female.:(

My buddy suggested I try the romance options with Lt Iresso, and just pretend I'm him and the female Jedi is romancing me.....I may try this, but I'm not convinced my imagination is strong enough to pull it off. My Sage is 49 and will most likely hit 50 tonight. The thought of re-rolling as a male character so I can romance Nadia has crossed my mind many times already, but ouch.....going through the exact same story all over again makes me feel sick inside.

I did it in wow because females had better casting animations, but in this game with the addition of romance, it seems weird.

And while we're on the subject, how many of you have rolled female characters even though your straight males?

No, it's not weird. My Shepard is female in Mass Effect, I play female characters in other games often. As a straight male I have no problems roleplaying a female character, nor participating in a romance with a male character. I don't project myself onto my characters, my characters are different people entirely, some are men, some women, none of them are me.

The only reason anyone would feel weird, if you ask me, is insecurity. I am comfortable with my own sexuality and I separate myself from my characters, I can just as easily roleplay a woman as a man, I've roleplayed straight and gay characters of both genders several times and I see no problem with that.

I'm a straight guy playing a female consular now after having finished my male agent character. The only thing weird about playing a female character in an MMO is other players thinking you're a female player. I had a guy tell me that he'd pay me some credits if I would "entertain" him for a while. That was creepy.

But as for the story and role-playing, no... it's a character. It doesn't make me female for playing a female character just as it doesn't make me evil for playing an evil character.

Why do you think it would be weird? I mean its not like anyone you're playing with has to know the female avatar on screen is being controlled by a dude. Most people don't even care. If it doesn't appeal to you then don't do it.

I'm a guy, I have a couple of female toons because I like sampling all the things this game has to offer. One of them is trying out the different skins and story lines. Frankly I think its weirder when people make these posts about how they feel funny about rolling a lady character. The fact that your posting about about suggest you want to do it, so just try it. Its not a big deal. Its not a little deal. Its no deal at all and taking the time to post the question says more than actually just rolling the toon and finding out if its for you or not. There are no external consequences for making a female character.

I'm a heterosexual male and I usually play female toons in MMOs. I suppose I do that for the same reason I prefer dumb action movies with female leads than male leads- I'd just rather look at Milla Jovovich than Sylvester Stallone.

It is annoying when it comes to romances, though. On my Sith Warrior, I chose ONE flirt option with Quinn because it was funny, and now he is convinced he's my character's BF. Ugh. Yeah, he can keep thinking that while my character continues to secretly long for Jaesa :D

On the flipside, we have a handful of gay men in our guild, and they exclusively play huge, buff, male toons.

Edited by el_pinko_grande

+1

I hope not, my Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor are all female, and I'm male. For a start I FAR prefer the female VOs.

My level 2 Jedi Knight is male, though.

Secondly I just want the story to happen as I would like to see it happen, I don't imagine these characters are me, and Im certianly nothing like ANY of my characters.

I also have a thing for female villains, Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter being my favourite villain of all time, and the role model for my Inquisitor. But then I even rooted for Darth Mekhis in the final SWTOR comic.

In my mind Darth Revan is female, as that is how I always played KotOR.

Edited by Darth_Romana

I rolled a straight male.

And I'm a straight female.

Yes.

I actually think it's weird to think that playing an opposite gender may be considered weird. I hear a lot that people feel wrong when romancing companions of the same gender as they (with an opposite gender toon, that is)

You connect real life and games too much. It's like reading/writing a book, where the main character is of the opposite gender, and feeling uncomfortable about it.

You connect real life and games too much. It's like reading/writing a book, where the main character is of the opposite gender, and feeling uncomfortable about it.

That's too true. Plus if you think of most of the older games, where you could ONLY play a male character.

Edited by Darth_Romana