Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking like its pvp

Rafkin
03.03.2013 , 04:58 PM | #1
I've been playing my lowbie recently and I keep coming across tanks that constantly circle straf throughout the flashpoints. I've played a tank at 50 practically since release and never felt the need to do this. Am I correct that this is pointless in PvE or is there some benefit I'm not seeing?

As a melee dps I can tell you it's very annoying.

Altheran
03.03.2013 , 05:02 PM | #2
They are just dumb people. Every new player at their 10s should have noticed that NPCs automatically face you, whatever you do. And since there are no "movement-inducted mechanics" in this game, there is no point doing so.

For sure, it doesn't apply if the NPC puts a hard-hitting GTAoE were the tank stands... he will have to move unless he want to commit suicide.

Taleek
03.03.2013 , 05:17 PM | #3
I do move around a lot during fights, it's probably instinctual from moving around in raids where I have to dodge AoEs and such. Generally I try not to move them around so much that it hampers melee dps though, and I rarely do it during boss fights since bosses often tend to be static. I know it's not really necessary, idk why I do it, I just do .
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

wadecounty
03.03.2013 , 07:00 PM | #4
I find shadow tanks are the worst about this generally, and yeah, its very, very annoying as a melee DPS.

That said, the type of tanks who do dumb stuff like this will also likely never read the tanking section of this forum, so all I can offer is my sympathy, and acknowledgement that we all hate it when our tank does this.

Philelectric
03.03.2013 , 10:32 PM | #5
Tanking in pve like its pvp> dpsing in pvp like its pve lol
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

SpoeMeister
03.06.2013 , 02:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
I find shadow tanks are the worst about this generally, and yeah, its very, very annoying as a melee DPS.

That said, the type of tanks who do dumb stuff like this will also likely never read the tanking section of this forum, so all I can offer is my sympathy, and acknowledgement that we all hate it when our tank does this.
Don't shadows have some sort of backstab like attack? Honest question, I still need to level one.

This means that they are probably trying to get behind the enemy, explaining the movement behaviour
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

wadecounty
03.06.2013 , 05:27 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SpoeMeister View Post
Don't shadows have some sort of backstab like attack? Honest question, I still need to level one.

This means that they are probably trying to get behind the enemy, explaining the movement behaviour
I'm almost positive that attack is not a part of any shadow tank rotation, which makes sense considering you can't tank something and hit it from behind at the same time. Just a case of bad tanks being bad.

Taleek
03.10.2013 , 07:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
I'm almost positive that attack is not a part of any shadow tank rotation, which makes sense considering you can't tank something and hit it from behind at the same time. Just a case of bad tanks being bad.
Well in 2.0 Shadows/Sins get a talent to let you use it from the front and get a cost reduc on it from a proc, so this won't be so true anymore, although there's still no reason to run around behind :P
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."