Why are tanks not appreciated?

Jayshames

Ever warzone I go in, I like to do my best at Gaurding healers, taunting and plain and simply just being a nuisance to the enemy team, I'm not wanting a big ego but It'd be nice to get a MVP every now and then instead of only healers getting them, most cases I top the board with objectives and medals yet rarely ever get a MVP vote. I know they don't really do much but it would be nice to be appreciated once in a while :(

1. healers always get chased around/ganked/ganged upon.

a tank can always dps but a healer can never dps.

2. usually mvp is given to those who go out of their way to secure match objective, instead of lawlawlawlfacerollkeyboardohlookiseered!

for instance someone who has scored several times in huttball

or a healer who has really been on the ball, almost never letting people die.

I kinda feel your pain man. I feel like I'm doing sooo much compared to other toons I play. Running around mad taunting, stunning, interrupting, swapping guards occasionally, plus throwing in the standard melee rotation while I'm at it.

This is puggin too though on my warrior, so that has a fair amount to do with it I spose. I've got a healbot scound too, but man that chit is boooooring, and I think op/scounds look silly running around non stop injecting themselves.

I leveled up healing in battlegrounds on my healy Commando (who I'm now gearing up for PVE), and I adore tanks. Having one or two good tanks on a team can totally kick *** and lead an otherwise awful team to a win. I mean, there are certain warzones where healers can be a big difference between success and failure (Alderaan Civil War and Void Star), but tanks can contribute to a win about that well in every warzone.

I love you in a platonic way and we need you. Don't give up! <3

I have the same experience. My healing scoundrel and DPS sentinel tend to get more MVP than my tanking guardian. In terms of securing objectives, I haven't really done anything different. I think people usually look at most damage done (i.e. the first number on the chart) or healing done (i.e. very obvious green numbers popping over your head). Meanwhile mitigated damage is not something people tend to notice.

Interestingly, I've noticed then whenever I go pure DPS PvP spec on my guardian (I still taunt though), my MVP votes go up.

Just my experience anyway.

The problem is unless you impress me as a tank then you will not get my vote as a healer. 150k-200k protection is not bad. I have seen so many tanks gaurd me get there 50k medal and quit. Or this one is great they put gaurd on then jump to the first enemy and never jump back. Dont expect your healer to run into the middle of the fight. We want to stand in the back and heal not be the center of ALL the attention. If you stay near me the entire match guess what you earned a vote.

You guys must be level 50 PVP super gear hero's, because I cannot kill a fly with my level 46 Guardian in WZ's lol... I mean I do the other things (taunt, try to protect healers with my b.a. wiffle bat) but yea. I don't kill much, and if I do it's because they already got a beat down from someone else and are at like 1/4 health lawl... and even then it's a krapshoot.

Been a while since I tanked in 50 pvp, but I get like 100k protection per match in pre50 pvp which is a lot, but goes unnoticed a lot aswell :(

In WZ I get more MVPs on my Tank then on my BH.....go figure.

I've read this several times now and still don't understand what you're trying to say..

Edited by Jayshames

I'm fine with votes going to healers. As someone said, it gives them incentive to keep queuing. I also feel like they have the hardest time earning medals, whereas we have the easiest time.

Also:

2. usually mvp is given to those who go out of their way to secure match objective, for instance someone who has scored several times in huttball

Oh please, no one ever knows who does the scoring. They are too busy clamoring around in the pit. I've had 4-goal matches with 0 votes because my numbers sucked.

The problem is unless you impress me as a tank then you will not get my vote as a healer. 150k-200k protection is not bad. I have seen so many tanks gaurd me get there 50k medal and quit. Or this one is great they put gaurd on then jump to the first enemy and never jump back. Dont expect your healer to run into the middle of the fight. We want to stand in the back and heal not be the center of ALL the attention. If you stay near me the entire match guess what you earned a vote.

The problem with that mentality is that it sounds pretty inflexible. Yes, a tank--in fact, everyone in range--should rush back to their healer if they are getting focused. Good tanks pay attention to their surroundings and their healers, and these tanks will jump back to help.

However, to expect a tank to just stand around you the whole match when the healer isn't being focus means the team is essentially carrying around a paperweight who isn't helping with applying pressure on the enemy or mitigating damage with AoE taunts for the rest of the team.

In WZ I get more MVPs on my Tank then on my BH.....go figure.

Same here, I get more votes on my baby tank than I ever did on my healer. Not too hard either, I usually place a guard on a healer if I find one (otherwise it goes on the squishiest dps I can find) then just annoy the hell out of their healers. I cant kill them usually, but ill be damned if I dont interupt every other heal they got.

Obviously, if my healers are being attacked I jump back and taunt, chilling scream, etc for as long as possible but im not a dps, it takes a while to kill anything and I most likely cant do it alone. Theyll die eventually if I dont get any help.

For the same reason you will never hear someone say "We would have won that match if we just had more tanks on our team." But look at the bright side, your not going to get blamed for the loss. Edited by Pcolapat

The problem with that mentality is that it sounds pretty inflexible. Yes, a tank--in fact, everyone in range--should rush back to their healer if they are getting focused. Good tanks pay attention to their surroundings and their healers, and these tanks will jump back to help.

However, to expect a tank to just stand around you the whole match when the healer isn't being focus means the team is essentially carrying around a paperweight who isn't helping with applying pressure on the enemy or mitigating damage with AoE taunts for the rest of the team.

If no one is attacking me I am the first person to tell the tank to go get someone else. Done this many times. The main tank I run with stays close to me I dont have to worry if he is out of range or not. He averages 300k Protection per match. I also pay attention to who the tanks guard. If you guard another healer I will keep you up over that healer aslong as they are above 50% health you will get priority. You dont when you throw gaurd on another tank class like Shadow or another vanguard even if they are dps I can keep them up alot longer then you could.

Dont get me wrong I see many horrible healers too healers fullspecd trying to do damage. I have run many warzones seen people with 50-100k protection and ive taken 400k damage in the match. Thats why I am critical of tanks and healers both. To many of both classes do not do what they are designed to do.

^^ People like you are the reason I do not place guard on healers or anyone else for that matter in WZ's anymore. Any protection at end of match is something that I did not have to do in the first place. I am a tank in a WZ because I like to live longer, and I still deal decent damage.

As a pvp tank, I like to guard objectives, not players. Yes I will taunt, but thats it. I like to stand at doors in voidstar and take on 3 imps at the same time, thats my thing until backup arrives and I die.

There are to many idiots with lightsabers running around and healers that dont heal the person guarding them while they are getting beat on, I just stop guarding and let the healers die. Besides, I dont really care if I win or lose wz's as long as I get a few com's at end of match I am happy.

^^ People like you are the reason I do not place guard on healers or anyone else for that matter in WZ's anymore. Any protection at end of match is something that I did not have to do in the first place. I am a tank in a WZ because I like to live longer, and I still deal decent damage.

As a pvp tank, I like to guard objectives, not players. Yes I will taunt, but thats it. I like to stand at doors in voidstar and take on 3 imps at the same time, thats my thing until backup arrives and I die.

There are to many idiots with lightsabers running around and healers that dont heal the person guarding them while they are getting beat on, I just stop guarding and let the healers die. Besides, I dont really care if I win or lose wz's as long as I get a few com's at end of match I am happy.

WelI..I always guard, if there are no healers I guard who I feel needs the protection plus I love the 5% extra bonus damage. But really, I could care less about the MVP votes. If I get them fine, if I don't that's fine also.

Thats so cute you the exact kind of tank that isI was talking about. I want to be a tank so I stay alive long I dont care about helping my team. Good job your the perfect example of Fail.

Besides, I dont really care if I win or lose wz's as long as I get a few com's at end of match I am happy.

Gah! I hate having people like you in WZs with me. That's about the stupidest statement anyone can make when it comes to participating in any kind of competition. Is winning everything? No, but having a good competative match is, whether you win or lose. You can have fun even if you don't win, but getting your butt kicked up and down the WZ over and over again is not fun. It's usually people with the "I don't care about winning" attitude that I come across most often in groups that are getting repeatedly roflstomped. They don't care about winning so they never learn what it takes to actually win and be effective, just so long as they can get a few comms. Basically the "gold star" for showing up.

Edited by Evangelist

I have the same experience. My healing scoundrel and DPS sentinel tend to get more MVP than my tanking guardian. In terms of securing objectives, I haven't really done anything different. I think people usually look at most damage done (i.e. the first number on the chart) or healing done (i.e. very obvious green numbers popping over your head). Meanwhile mitigated damage is not something people tend to notice.

Interestingly, I've noticed then whenever I go pure DPS PvP spec on my guardian (I still taunt though), my MVP votes go up.

Just my experience anyway.

if your objective play doesn't change when you roll as a guardian you aren't doing it right, you have some of the highest mobility for things like huttball and are an excellent interceptor for the capture maps.

1. healers always get chased around/ganked/ganged upon.

a tank can always dps but a healer can never dps.

2. usually mvp is given to those who go out of their way to secure match objective, instead of lawlawlawlfacerollkeyboardohlookiseered!

for instance someone who has scored several times in huttball

or a healer who has really been on the ball, almost never letting people die.

Very well said! I almost NEVER give my vote to the top damage dealer, since too often it's some moron who just goes off and fights without helping with objectives (the infamous 'road warriors' who are allergic to flags, nodes, etc.). I like being able to give that vote to who I feel actually helped with the wz.

I'll never forget one AB I did in WoW. My hunter ended up staying at farm because noone else did. They spent their time getting their 'leet' damage numbers up. Alliance attacked farm constantly. To their credit, my teammates did usually respond quickly when I called out the incoming and I was a good enough hunter to prevent the flag from being taken long enough for the others to arrive. We somehow managed a victory and then at the end, I looked at the scoreboard and saw that I only had 1/3 of the honor that the road fighters had. I quit WoW pvp that day.

So no, top damage dealers don't get my mvp vote unless they get those numbers while helping with team objectives.

For the same reason you will never hear someone say "We would have won that match if we just had more tanks on our team." But look at the bright side, your not going to get blamed for the loss.

LOL, give it time. Sooner or later someone will start saying: "You're a tank!!!! No wonder we lost! We could have had someone with a real PvP spec in your spot! You fail! And because of that we failed!" Trust me, sooner or later it's going to happen (if it hasn't already somewhere). ;)

I rarely walk away from a WZ without an MVP vote on my Guardian. Like the OP I usually just try to wreak as much havoc for the other team as possible, and usually between the node capturing/defending and guarding a healer/DPS (Sents are my favorite because they get wailed on constantly, and I can usually get my 10k protection medal in about 4 seconds) my actions are noticed and appreciated by at least the person I was guarding. But I do think that an awesome healer always trumps me as an MVP, even if I was guarding him. A good healer can keep me alive far longer than my guard keeps him alive. I also think that communicating during the match helps, I think MVP votes are largely name recognition (like someone else mentioned about the green name constantly above your head healing), so having your name constantly in chat (if you aren't a jerk) is a good way for people to see your name. But to be fair I have a funny name so maybe that's why people vote for me...

And P.S. How do people get 300k protection, I have never even seen someone take that much damage let alone get passed off to a guard, you must have some big hitters on your server...