Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
01.19.2015 , 04:09 PM | #491
I think I get your point. Perhaps I am looking at this with blinders on.

I suppose I just assumed that most would not "game" the device, like most do not "game" the game. And I didn't want to see something changed because some folks may "game" it.

Well, actually that is not entirely true....I did post in the past that I thought the scraps were unnecessary...but that was just for me personally. I also suggested they should raise the price to 2k per instead of 500c.

I think it was clearly a bad idea to put materials on this machine in the first place. It was better than nothing, but it allows them to continue to ignore crafting. It is lazy IMO.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
01.19.2015 , 04:20 PM | #492
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
[font="Open Sans,Sans"][color="#53ea8a"]You either misunderstand the machines are are deliberately misrepresenting them.

massive hyperbole snip

]
gathering missions are free, you can sell all the stuff you get to get back the cost. crafting missions are the ONLY thing you can do while logged off. make them only advance while that character is logged on for "fairness". slots are not as efficient as crafting missions because only 1 of a accounts toons can be logged in doing it, I can have 22 toons gathering per server at a time 24 hours a day, while the slot machine is in use, that account can be doing nothing else.
yes, bait and switch will affect market sales. it is obvious as the hand in front of your face that people will be pissed off if they destroy the actual utility of the slot machine. would people be pissed if their walker mount suddenly was changed to just a deco? yes they would.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
01.19.2015 , 04:24 PM | #493
Quote: Originally Posted by Lyshar View Post
I don't think the drop rates are wrong. The amount of drops makes it fun.
If there has to be tweaking it should be what junk drops instead of when it drops.

People make an issue mostly about [Scrap: Jawa Junk] (the purple one). As I see it, the green one seems to have about 40% chance, the blue and purple both around 30%. So my suggestion is the same amount of scrap, but if tweaking is needed put it in the further chance category.

Scrap: Scavenged scrap (green) - 60% (or try 50% first)
Scrap: Assorted Droid Parts (Blue) - 30%
Scrap: Jawa Junk (purple) - 10% (or try 20% first)

I think that should at least reduce the whining and make the market a little more stable without making the slot machine feel worthless like a nerf would do. The power of tweaking over nerfing.
the market isnt stable because people had a LOT of jawa junk from conquest and cartel packs to use up. they need to give it a month to shake out. the mat barons are crying because their cash cow isnt making as much milk as they wanted it to.

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
01.19.2015 , 04:26 PM | #494
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
...

But most importantly, I think you are reading too much into the devs "intention" and "direction" lately. Almost everything about which I've complained recently is about what I believe to be poor implementation of ideas, not the ideas themselves.

I don't think the devs intended for the slot machine to be used the way it is being used. I think that separate teams designed the machine and added the Grade 11 mats to the Jawa Vendors. I don't think that either thing alone would have caused the effects on [mission skills and mission mats] about which I am complaining. I fully expect them to do something to reduce the [IMO] negative effects. I do not think that the devs intended the slot machine to be a replacement for or even serious contender with mission skills.

SoR was released at the beginning of December. If the devs were intending to change the crafting system, they would have done it then. They wouldn't bother making Grade 11 mats if the only thing people were going to "run missions for" is Jawa Junk -- schematics could just all use Jawa Junk directly. They wouldn't make new missions for crew skill levels 450-500 and then gate the ability to learn those levels to buying access (requiring the purchase of SoR) from the trainer. They wouldn't have done all that work if they were planning on making it obsolete six weeks later.

So it seems a bit far fetched for you to see my dislike of what happened as a refusal to adapt to the devs changing vision of the game.
I totally agree with your sentiment.

Like many things I'm disappointed and annoyed at these days, most seem to stem from a lack of management and quality control on the part of Bioware, most likely due to a small overworked staff trying their best to keep up but failing at times due to resource constraints and poor processes to catch things like the slot before they go live.

I really don't see this as a test on how far to push the CM, nor any sort of nefarious plot to destroy crew skills, nor even an attempt to change crew skills, but rather another item hurriedly pushed out with limited testing and little foresight into how it would impact the game.

Quote: Originally Posted by EnkiduNineEight View Post
...

So it doesn't matter that YOU get bored with it. What matters is the mechanics of the toy serve to make the toy a necessity. It has become a 'pay to win' item. If you do not have one, you are disadvantaged.

This is absolutely the wrong sort of thing to have in a cartel pack and it absolutely requires adjustment in order to change it from being a necessity to being a fun to have item.
I concur, and I don't feel this is their intent, so I imagine it is only a matter of time before it is changed, though seeing as they still haven't fixed quite a few rather large 3.0 launch bugs, I am not hopeful it will be anytime soon.

Mariojediwookie's Avatar


Mariojediwookie
01.19.2015 , 04:52 PM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
gathering missions are free, you can sell all the stuff you get to get back the cost. crafting missions are the ONLY thing you can do while logged off. make them only advance while that character is logged on for "fairness". slots are not as efficient as crafting missions because only 1 of a accounts toons can be logged in doing it, I can have 22 toons gathering per server at a time 24 hours a day, while the slot machine is in use, that account can be doing nothing else.
yes, bait and switch will affect market sales. it is obvious as the hand in front of your face that people will be pissed off if they destroy the actual utility of the slot machine. would people be pissed if their walker mount suddenly was changed to just a deco? yes they would.
You have no idea what you are talking about and these conversations are beginning to get ridiculous. The Devs don't NEED to guess at anything which appears to be what you are doing when calculating the advantages of the slot machine. They know exactly what the slot machine can do and is doing. Just the fact you said you can run missions on 24 toons 24 hours a day LOL. All you people realize you don't just press one button and everything is done right? It's not like a slot machine.

To compare what I can do with my three slot machines that surround me in an hour to the crew skills, lets just say I couldn't produce that in a WEEK. Nice try, but I actually have played the slot machine and craft/gather. Again, the devs have real numbers of what the machine is doing so you can stop feigning ignorance.

TheGreatFrosty's Avatar


TheGreatFrosty
01.19.2015 , 04:57 PM | #496
Quote: Originally Posted by Mariojediwookie View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about and these conversations are beginning to get ridiculous. The Devs don't NEED to guess at anything which appears to be what you are doing when calculating the advantages of the slot machine. They know exactly what the slot machine can do and is doing. Just the fact you said you can run missions on 24 toons 24 hours a day LOL. All you people realize you don't just press one button and everything is done right? It's not like a slot machine.

To compare what I can do with my three slot machines that surround me in an hour to the crew skills, lets just say I couldn't produce that in a WEEK. Nice try, but I actually have played the slot machine and craft/gather. Again, the devs have real numbers of what the machine is doing so you can stop feigning ignorance.
This.

I am a prolific crafter/alt gatherer switcher etc.

Through three slot machines, I've made more in the past 2 days than I have since the launch of SoR by at least four fold.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
01.19.2015 , 05:34 PM | #497
Quote: Originally Posted by Natharon View Post
The fix you need to make is simple, take grade 11 mats off of the jawa vendors.
or leave it as is and let the complainers adapt or die out. like so many others have been told to(sometimes by the same people that refuse to adapt this time)

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
01.19.2015 , 05:38 PM | #498
Quote: Originally Posted by Mariojediwookie View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about and these conversations are beginning to get ridiculous. The Devs don't NEED to guess at anything which appears to be what you are doing when calculating the advantages of the slot machine. They know exactly what the slot machine can do and is doing. Just the fact you said you can run missions on 24 toons 24 hours a day LOL. All you people realize you don't just press one button and everything is done right? It's not like a slot machine.

To compare what I can do with my three slot machines that surround me in an hour to the crew skills, lets just say I couldn't produce that in a WEEK. Nice try, but I actually have played the slot machine and craft/gather. Again, the devs have real numbers of what the machine is doing so you can stop feigning ignorance.
you can run 22 crafters 24 hours a day. the gold sellers already are. the devs will decide what they want. they will decide if pissing off the cc buying customers is worth giving you back your cash cow.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
01.19.2015 , 05:43 PM | #499
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
the market isnt stable because people had a LOT of jawa junk from conquest and cartel packs to use up. they need to give it a month to shake out. the mat barons are crying because their cash cow isnt making as much milk as they wanted it to.
I have acquired 10x the Jawa Junk this weekend than I had by placing top 10 in all the conquests my guild has done that for (every one, natch) and all the packs I've opened (1 hypercrate of each new pack for the past 8, except the current one) combined.

I'm making a profit. I haven't bothered to stop and craft anything or post anything to GTN besides CM personnel decorations yet because I'm too busy taking advantage of this broken machine while it's still paying me to gather crafting materials. If enough time passes without the devs saying they'll nerf it, or when the devs nerf it, then I'll start making and posting stuff again.

And believe me, when I do that, my profit margins will be higher than they ever have, because my COGS will be negative. And this will be true even when I'm the one selling all the stuff, meaning I had the lowest priced item of its kind on the GTN at the time someone wanted to buy... tens of thousands of times.

Or are you one of those odd ducks that buys the highest price item? Hmm?

These slot machines help me, as a crafter, more than you could possibly imagine. They make it super simple for me to make a steady profit on "normal" items and they encourage me to get into markets with little competition that I can completely control because I have both the resources and the know-how to do it. And now, because I don't have to manage resource gathering missions, I have a lot more time to do it, too.

The fact that they drop stuff at a rate that makes crafting infinitely more profitable for me is absolutely not the reason I dislike them.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
01.19.2015 , 09:42 PM | #500
I do think that the machine trumps crew missions.

I also think that some of the claims with respect to the machine are overblown for dramatic effect.

I do not think some of the results posted are typical. And I DO think Bioware does have the numbers and will judge accordingly.