Should SWTOR get the "classic" treatment?

AhsokaTanorules

Okay some of you may have heard how World of Warcraft recently released a classic only version of their game to entertain old school players. I myself don't terribly support this idea and I even went back to try it and immediately realized why i like the newer stuff (like Legion way better) and usually laugh at those fixated on this backpedaling.

However, when it comes to this game, I feel it WAS better back in the good old days...not just the storylines but even the mechanics too. Back in classic SWTOR I actually found that not only did I enjoy the diverse storytelling and characters, I actually even enjoyed Flashpoints, Operations and PvP as well as crafting. Nowadays I have been only playing the new stuff when the new story chapters come out and I actually find the current Flashpoint and Operation system to be broken compared to back then and Crafting to be utterly pointless.

Maybe it would be too expensive for EA but I wonder what anyone else here might feel if they brought back a classic version only of this game.

I think the “Classic” SWTOR era would be between 2.0 and 4.0, when content release was every two months and came with decently-sized group and [factional] story content.

I wouldn’t want to go play SWTOR Classic, mainly because the 2.0 to 4.0 content still exists and is still viable due to level sync, but I would like to see a return to that type of content release. I’m feeling optimistic that post-expansion we’ll go back to that type of Classic content.

I don’t regret Knights of the Eternal Throne and the following flashpoints. I think it was a good story. It’s just time to move back to the SWTOR Classic type of content.

There are definitely some things from when I started playing (2013) that I miss, but the overall experience has been better (Save for a few endgame bumps AKA Galactic Command at launch). I don't have to waste months anymore to level just one character, just an example. I quite frankly don't get the hype behind classic experience other than pure nostalgia, but once that wore off all I'd be left with is a grindy outdated experience (No high polished armors, no outfit designer, no strongholds) that would only leave me frustrate and have me more willingly to go through the grindy endgame on retail.

I really don't think 1.0 swtor is something I'd want to return to, especially since I doubt bioware would fix the launch bugs in a rollback. What would be nice though would be to unretire those older armour sets that are just gone completely, not even present in reskinned cartel market versions. And for the story quests to actually be balanced for a modicum of challenge.

You don't need to redesign the encounters from the ground up, just maybe don't have the final boss of your class story be a generic elite enemy who'll be dramatically weaker than any number of champion mobs you'd run into out in the overworld. The first son is the only one I can imagine killing anyone, and that's just because the game doesn't teach players to interrupt casts until they finish the consular, or do an op/master mode flashpoint and a player chews them out for not knowing.

Changes to gearing and itemization that roll back to an older system would be quite welcome, I remember the days when heroics would drop specific orange weapons etc, nothing unique but it was quite nice to have a clear route to say, get the voss fireslinger by actually playing relevant content. More rewards tied to achievements and quests would be nice rather than generic RNG loot for them, and the current gearing system means a lot of cosmetic gear actually just can't be obtained once you're 70 now because of the loot pools.

Edited by ShinLunaAzure