Class counter in PvP

Cowboyup

I've only had trouble with Commandos because I'm the kind of spellcaster who likes to go toe-to-toe with my enemies, lol. The melee classes aren't a problem for me (Guardians and Sentinels especially stand no chance and Shadows possess no challenge - Powertechs go down quickly as well) except for the Scoundrels and only when I am specced as a healer.

Concealment operative. It's near impossible to beat a well played op straight up as madness. Lightning fares a bit better due to increased burst and anti-mobility effects, but it's still a rough fight.

Fury marauders can be annoying also. Multiple roots and slows, combined with CC immunity and high burst damage. Pretty much designed to chase down and destroy ranged classes.

Given they are player to their maximal potential sins have been always. Prior to to 3.0 powertechs were easy to duel and operatives too if there was not even the slightest mistake on sorc side. Post 3.0 concealment operatives I consider them the best duelers and as a sorc no chance (in either of the dps specs as their roll/cleanses completely shuts down sorc damage, an operative should never be hit by a TB/leach). The turbo speed mode together with increased burst makes powertechs really difficult to deal against at the moment.

Things have changed as pre-3.0 I would consider madness sorc one of the best duelling classes, possibly even number 2 right behind sins, post 3.0 somewhere in the mid/lower-mid of the pack.

AP powertech, deception assassin, and concealment operative are sorc DPS's counter specs.

AP PT wins the burst fight against sorc easily, while being unkiteable, deception assassin has trollslash, and concealment operatives beat every single spec in SWTOR 1v1 by a mile.

Edited by TheCourier-

I've only had trouble with Commandos because I'm the kind of spellcaster who likes to go toe-to-toe with my enemies, lol. The melee classes aren't a problem for me (Guardians and Sentinels especially stand no chance and Shadows possess no challenge - Powertechs go down quickly as well) except for the Scoundrels and only when I am specced as a healer.

I find the above hard to believe given my own experience as a Sage DPS or Healer. You say PTs go down quickly and Shadows possess no challenge? Dare I say that you probably faced off against the worst players in the game? I once defeated a Shadow only because the person did not know how to play the toon. Instead of dancing around me and getting that high damage back stab and stun, he just stood there while attacking me. Most melee classes will be trouble for ranged Sages since kiting can be mitigated.

I've only had trouble with Commandos because I'm the kind of spellcaster who likes to go toe-to-toe with my enemies, lol.

Really?

Commandos will smash your face in an all-in fight to the death because they can simply facetank better than you.

No logic at all in engaging like that as a sage.

Mercenaries/Commandos are it for me.

Electronet is the bane of sorc healers. If I get Electroneted while I am under heavy fire and near death, I have to waste my CC breaker cooldown and my god bubble at the same time to survive. That heavily reduces my survival chances against a team that knows how to CC effectively. The worst is when there are two Mercs, one of them Electronets me right off the bat and then the other waits until the split second after I use my CC breaker to hit me with it again.

Powertechs, Sins, Ops and Maras murder me. 1 on 1, they will always beat me into a pulp. (I play a Healer so I spend most of time getting away from them.)

I never have problems with being 1v1ed on my healer. It always takes 2 or more people focusing me hard to bring me down.

Edited by Gardimuer

What class do you feel counters a Sorc / Sage? If there is no counter what class gives you the most difficult time if played well?

As a sorc healer you want to keep away from operative-sniper-arsenal merc, PT but only if player really well same as dps sorc to be honest but most aren't good enough...in the main as expected youre looking at avoiding teams who are playing together

Deception sin got more annoying since that 30m lolslash, but any class can be handled except concealment OP.

I agree. Good sins and pts can be a huge pain though for my sorc, but ops should win any 1v1 (vs any class really). But when you have some support even an op will have to try to bring you down and they may end up rolling away and waiting till your helpers are further away. That's why I avoid running around by myself....I don't want to be caught in the open just to have some op open up on me.

• 2 weeks later...

perfect example of class imbalance you have mobility so barrier is no longer needed. At very least removing barrier for healers would go a long way to solve imbalance.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

I agree. Good sins and pts can be a huge pain though for my sorc, but ops should win any 1v1 (vs any class really). But when you have some support even an op will have to try to bring you down and they may end up rolling away and waiting till your helpers are further away. That's why I avoid running around by myself....I don't want to be caught in the open just to have some op open up on me.

Yeah but Decp sins DPS burst is rather low compared to other classes. Its ridiculous how many stuns, snares, slows bubble princess's have, then throw in barrier it's no wonder good Sorc's can go toe to toe with Jugs. Bubble princess's seem to forget they are a high DPS classes as such high DPS should equal moderate squishyness not the role of pseudo tank.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

Yeah but Decp sins DPS burst is rather low compared to other classes. Its ridiculous how many stuns, snares, slows bubble princess's have, then throw in barrier it's no wonder good Sorc's can go toe to toe with Jugs. Bubble princess's seem to forget they are a high DPS classes as such high DPS should equal moderate squishyness not the role of pseudo tank.

Decpt burst is not low its silly how ppl keep saying certain burst classes have low burst, only thing that's different between burst specs is how its done and how often it can be done.

Also Sorcs are actually very squishy the main issue is they have a ton of mobility, cc, team utility with the strongest and most sustainable offheals, they can't have all of that if anything they should be the worse offhealers of the 3 that can provide them in direct healing.

Sorcs are hardly above the other classes. They do a lot of damage, sure, but then again everyone does a lot of damage. PT's can take over 1/3 of your health in a GCD, Sins and Ops can either stunlock you to death or make you burn through all of your CD's. Snipers will destroy you unless you can LoS or get up close. Juggs and Maras are actually the ones I find easiest to escape from, but If you can't LoS or get 30m out they are constant annoyances with the repeated leap roots, pushes, chokes and so on. Anytime barrier is on CD, you're pretty much relying on alternating between KB, stun and force speed. If one of those are on CD too, you're usually just dead.

I don't play a Sorc/Sage, but I can still give my 2 cents on what I feel is easy to counter a sorc.

NOTHING... I play Carnage/Anni Mara, Tactics/Plasma VG, and Leth/Conceal Op. The only way I kill a Sorc is if his stupidly OP and un-nessisary God Bubble is on it's much needed 3m CD. And, for your information, in 4.0 you are getting God Bubble ON THE MOVE AND PHASE WALK!!! /endrant

On a serious note, Tactics is my easier way of killing Sorcs/Sages, but Lethality Operative is a close second because of the DoT's and brokenly awesome self-healing. If my merc was geared, and it was 4.0, i'd be kicking some serious *** as Arsenal in PvP against Sorcs.

I play healer sorc/sage and the only class i really have trouble with is AP PT/Tactics VG. Its so annoying. They sit there and run circles around you like you're gonna attack them or something. (They look like ******* imo, i always laugh at them). Usually i can just out heal most PT damage because their burst is SOOOO predictable. Even without LOS, i can still just kite them around once their HO is off cooldown. But some PTs can burst me down super fast. I guess its just because they get RNGesus on their side and just kill me super fast. I've face tanked 1 Balance sage, 1 Assault Commando, and 2 Gunnery Commandos while healing. Granted, i had LOS points, but they tried so hard to kill me and it was just sad. Melee is certainly no issue. Most of them are too worried about getting their strikes off that they don't interupt me. Or if they do, i just kite them around and laugh as i get pelted by 4 people. Best thing is knocking them all back with Electric Bindings and rooting them in place while they watch me heal 2 full. Flash bubble is also my best friend. I love when i get jumped by like 3 maras and i all flash bubble them, pop bubble again and flash em again. The one class that can certainly kill you if you're not paying attention is merc. Nets are such a big issue if you're playing healer. If they're good, they will stun you, wait to you pop breaker and then net you when you're at low health so that you cant bubble and die.

One tip i can give to sorc/sage healers struggling out there, is USE RECKLESSNESS/FORCE POTENCY AND YOUR ALACRITY BOOST WHEN YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!!! This saves me SOO much. Pop your force armor/static barrier and pop recklessness and alacrity boost. Try to use Resurgence and Rejuvenate beforehand because 60% boost from reck/pot + 25% from force bending = 85% which is basically gonna crit 100%. With this make sure you use a innervate/healing trance. If you have full dark reaver with augs, you'll probably hit for 4.5k with relic procs on yourself. 4.5k x 4 ticks is huge. Thats almost 20k healing. Then if you can, pop wandering mend with the resurgence buff. Thats another 10k or so heal. This is how i survive high burst.

Also make sure you're using LOS and positioning correctly. Sorc healers are pretty easy to kill if you know their weaknesses. DON'T STAND IN THE ENEMY GROUP AND THINK YOU CAN FACE TANK. I see so many people doing this and they end up dying so much. Don't! Just stay in the back and if you get targeted, LOS and kite.

• 2 years later...

Disagree, that is problem with this dam game there should be NO class that should win 1 vs 1 verses another simply because of the class. It is the whole reason why we have imbalanced classes to begin with. Jug, Merc, Sniper all have the fire power of a pure DPS class but none of the vulnerability each getting 3-4 lives maybe 1.5 for jug because of there defenses. This breaks trinity and makes playing glass cannon spec moot. Operative on the other end of the spectrum is op in it's ridiculous ability to stay mobile while taking no damage or very little and then being able to heal said damage whilst on the move and also dealing out dmg all with very little tech management