Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

Camelpockets
08.05.2015 , 05:48 PM | #191
Yeah it helps to know where the starting ground is

Do what these guys said, ignore what I said til you get the rotation pat down, then if you still have energy issues, do what I said. But for now... pretend I was never here.......
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Ardarell_Solo
08.19.2015 , 04:52 AM | #192
Thanks again, great guide!!

I've been testing different varations for the flow of the 3 block rotation and seem to be getting best results by giving Corrosive Dart / Vital Shot a high priority for filler spots. Managed to do 5030 that way (gear is 198 except for 2 slots and 204 MH).

If anyone's interested, I will provide the log as soon as parsely lets me upload again
El'ethon - Sentinel <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> T3-M4

shyroman
08.19.2015 , 07:20 AM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post

I've been testing different varations for the flow of the 3 block rotation and seem to be getting best results by giving Corrosive Dart / Vital Shot a high priority for filler spots. Managed to do 5030 that way (gear is 198 except for 2 slots and 204 MH).

If anyone's interested, I will provide the log as soon as parsely lets me upload again
Damn, that must mean that I have to parse again to get back my top spot

But more on topic, that's what I tried to do as well, not quite to the extent that you did (i just put CD at 2 static points in the rotation which keeps it up for most of the fight and takes up quite a few filler spots) but I will try that tonight when I can get online and keep CD up as much as possible and see how I do.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Ardarell_Solo
08.19.2015 , 09:10 AM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by shyroman View Post
Damn, that must mean that I have to parse again to get back my top spot

But more on topic, that's what I tried to do as well, not quite to the extent that you did (i just put CD at 2 static points in the rotation which keeps it up for most of the fight and takes up quite a few filler spots) but I will try that tonight when I can get online and keep CD up as much as possible and see how I do.
Sorry for ruining your plans for tonight ;-)

I actually wasn't aiming for a top parse, I was just trying to figure out the most effective rotation, since I've always felt bad about my Sharpshooter skills. So I didn't even have Starparse running when I was hitting the Dummy and used a blue adrenal instead of the purple one I use when I deliberately parse for top scores in the specs I know well. So I was really surprised when I checked the final numbers, since I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that in Sharpshooter.

Maybe it's just a lucky parse, cause it has very good crit numbers - but then again, top parses always have those and I keep parsing close to 5.000 pretty consistently now. So I'm really curious what's your conclusion on the Vital Shot rotation I tried, cause I'm not experienced enough in this spec to say for sure if it is better than the "classic" filler rotation...

shyroman
08.19.2015 , 09:21 AM | #195

I actually wasn't aiming for a top parse, I was just trying to figure out the most effective rotation, since I've always felt bad about my Sharpshooter skills. So I didn't even have Starparse running when I was hitting the Dummy and used a blue adrenal instead of the purple one I use when I deliberately parse for top scores in the specs I know well. So I was really surprised when I checked the final numbers, since I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that in Sharpshooter.

Maybe it's just a lucky parse, cause it has very good crit numbers - but then again, top parses always have those and I keep parsing close to 5.000 pretty consistently now. So I'm really curious what's your conclusion on the Vital Shot rotation I tried, cause I'm not experienced enough in this spec to say for sure if it is better than the "classic" filler rotation...
Well, a CD does more dps than a snipe, so i would assume that the more CD ticks the better, i think i tried keeping CD up all the time, but i ran into energy issues and messed up the rotation from placing it in spots i shouldn't have. With a bit of practice I should be able to keep it up with almost 100% uptime which should be a dps increase over just using snipe as much as possible.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

OMGITSJAD
08.19.2015 , 03:23 PM | #196

How much crit rating are you running? I feel like I know the rotation on dummy well enough beside sometimes running into energy management issues, but all the parses I see have insane crit and I don't know if those are just lucky or they're stacking crit rating to get there(my highest on dummy has been 4641 for reference, I believe I had 333 crit rating in my gear, I've tried slotting 415 by adding two crit crystals, but didn't see my numbers improve much)
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

shyroman
08.19.2015 , 08:54 PM | #197

I tried both using CD every time it fell off and I had enough energy to reapply it and I also tried using it in 2 static filler spots per 45 sec rotation, neither really seemed to be much of a difference in dps. Granted, I didn't do a ton of parses but I couldn't tell the difference. Theoretically though, using CD as much as possible should be a dps gain.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Ardarell_Solo
08.20.2015 , 12:58 AM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
How much crit rating are you running? I feel like I know the rotation on dummy well enough beside sometimes running into energy management issues, but all the parses I see have insane crit and I don't know if those are just lucky or they're stacking crit rating to get there(my highest on dummy has been 4641 for reference, I believe I had 333 crit rating in my gear, I've tried slotting 415 by adding two crit crystals, but didn't see my numbers improve much)
I'm running 242 crit and I'm seeing a dps loss if I go higher, even if it's just 280, numbers go down for me. (And I run one alacrity enhancement).

I'm not reapplying CD EXACTLY when it runs out, I often delay it by one GCD to get Followthrough / Trickshot in first for energy management.

Generally I was thinking the same: CD is more damage per activation than Snipe / Charged Burst, that's why I started fiddling with the rotation.

It's what I generally do when learning DPS specs: Play a rotation that seems to make sense and then I check damage per activation for each ability in Starparse to derive exact ability priorities. Then I check ability cooldowns and interdependent procs (if there are any, in this case it would be cheaper Snipes / Charged Bursts after Followthrough / Trickshot). Then I try to come up with a rotation that picks up on these priorities. Sometimes I fail miserably trying to improve the rotation commonly used, sometimes I can improve on it.

That's why I'm so curious if I just had lucky crits (which I absolutely had, no doubt!) or if this is indeed an improvement...

OMGITSJAD
08.21.2015 , 12:45 PM | #199
I'm running 242 crit and I'm seeing a dps loss if I go higher, even if it's just 280, numbers go down for me. (And I run one alacrity enhancement).
So I lowered my crit rating to 252 and the next two parses afterwards were 100 and then 200 DPS above my previous highest, no joke. Thanks.
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Drakegriffin
08.25.2015 , 05:22 PM | #200
What should be the ideal stats %'s for a gunslinger in full 192 gear? And also what do you guys think about a high alacrity build for sharpshooter/marksmanship?