Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

Camelpockets's Avatar


Camelpockets
07.09.2015 , 12:31 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by kvandertulip View Post
No, proper APM in Sharpshooter is 40-42. Anything higher than that is because people bounce in and out of cover during parses for the instant Charged Burst. That does nothing for dps, but infates your APM.
While true, it doesn't do NOTHING to your dps. If you time the instant casts correctly, (During Burst Volley Uptime and after use of Cool Head), you won't lose energy by being topped off for too long, therefore granting more energy later on in the rotation. That's why people are at 44. But other wise, yes, that is the typical APM otherwise.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Aldozer's Avatar


Aldozer
07.09.2015 , 04:38 PM | #182
Thx for the advice. I've done a couple of parses and I've started using keybinds which got my apm up a little. Last parse I did in same gear was 3925 dps.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/45778/27

Considdering my gear is lower than 186 which used to be the old dread master nim gear in which if I'm remebering correctly people used to do (at least the best ones) about 4k dps. But still we've gotten some damage and stuff from levels so don't know. At least my dps is better now thanks to apm and a little poslishing. Will be doing much much more rotation wise and will start working on the 1 million dummy. Thx

Camelpockets's Avatar


Camelpockets
07.09.2015 , 05:22 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Aldozer View Post
Thx for the advice. I've done a couple of parses and I've started using keybinds which got my apm up a little. Last parse I did in same gear was 3925 dps.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/45778/27

Considdering my gear is lower than 186 which used to be the old dread master nim gear in which if I'm remebering correctly people used to do (at least the best ones) about 4k dps. But still we've gotten some damage and stuff from levels so don't know. At least my dps is better now thanks to apm and a little poslishing. Will be doing much much more rotation wise and will start working on the 1 million dummy. Thx
This is perfectly fine for the gearing you are in. Just keep on practicing and get some gear.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Shwarzchild's Avatar


Shwarzchild
08.04.2015 , 04:18 PM | #184
So I'm having an awful time keeping my energy up with this guide. So Im obviously doing something terribly wrong. Im not really in any special gear, no set pieces, but a mix of 198/192 comm stuff. I can get up to about 300k damage dealt on a 500k dummy (figured I'd start small the move up to the 1 mil when I actually feel comfortable), and then my energy management goes totally down hill. I just don't understand how to keep energy up here so all help would be greatly appreciated.

shyroman's Avatar


shyroman
08.04.2015 , 05:47 PM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by Shwarzchild View Post
So I'm having an awful time keeping my energy up with this guide. So Im obviously doing something terribly wrong. Im not really in any special gear, no set pieces, but a mix of 198/192 comm stuff. I can get up to about 300k damage dealt on a 500k dummy (figured I'd start small the move up to the 1 mil when I actually feel comfortable), and then my energy management goes totally down hill. I just don't understand how to keep energy up here so all help would be greatly appreciated.
If you could post one of your parses up on parsley and then post it here, that would help a lot since then we can analyze it closely and see exactly what we can help you change.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Camelpockets's Avatar


Camelpockets
08.04.2015 , 10:06 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Shwarzchild View Post
So I'm having an awful time keeping my energy up with this guide. So Im obviously doing something terribly wrong. Im not really in any special gear, no set pieces, but a mix of 198/192 comm stuff. I can get up to about 300k damage dealt on a 500k dummy (figured I'd start small the move up to the 1 mil when I actually feel comfortable), and then my energy management goes totally down hill. I just don't understand how to keep energy up here so all help would be greatly appreciated.
The timing op the instant cast Snipes does help in the long run. When you do your opener, after that second Penetrating Blasts w/ Followthrough, you want to follow that up with an instant Snipe because here you will hit the cap on your energy, thus preventing all the energy you could potentially use over the course of the parse. More specifically, when you are about to go into a Sniper Volley phase, you should do the following: (Typically you'll use a Followthrough right before you do this)

Followthrough / Proc Insta-snipe - PB - FT - PB - FT - Instant Snipe / Proc Insta Snipe - Insta Snipe - Rotation...

This way, you'll never go OVER the energy cap, which will preserve more energy to use later on. You should only need to use this when you need burst volley active since it has an increased Energy Regen Rate. Otherwise, save the instant proc if you ever need to move during a raid.
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Shwarzchild's Avatar


Shwarzchild
08.04.2015 , 11:18 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by shyroman View Post
If you could post one of your parses up on parsley and then post it here, that would help a lot since then we can analyze it closely and see exactly what we can help you change.
http://parsely.io/parser/view/52714

I think I just need a horribly simple explanation of things cause I doubt Im doing this correctly at all. Whoever said dps was the easiest role to play in this game was so terribly off base.

So one thing Im not doing is staying in cover, my reasoning was: mechanics say i need to be able to be on the move so cover is somewhat meaningless when my abilities all come out of cover just as in. I guess that's wrong.

Edit: Here is my best parse to date.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52718

OMGITSJAD's Avatar


OMGITSJAD
08.05.2015 , 12:18 AM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by Shwarzchild View Post
http://parsely.io/parser/view/52714

I think I just need a horribly simple explanation of things cause I doubt Im doing this correctly at all. Whoever said dps was the easiest role to play in this game was so terribly off base.

So one thing Im not doing is staying in cover, my reasoning was: mechanics say i need to be able to be on the move so cover is somewhat meaningless when my abilities all come out of cover just as in. I guess that's wrong.

Edit: Here is my best parse to date.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52718
you're skipping way too many trickshots. namely after aimed shot and penetrating blasts....trickshots basically give you back 1 energy so long as you are at the peak of your energy regen because they cost 5 but your regen at that point is 6/s. start using trickshot more(a good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS use it when it's off cooldown, unless the target you're fighting is sub-30% and quickdraw isn't on cooldown) and you won't run into as many energy problems.

also you need to stay in cover and have no reason not to, especially as sharpshooter. to do 90% of your abilities you have to cast/channel them. while you cast/channel you have to sit still. while you sit still you may as well be in cover simultaneously. this will eliminate any pushback you will get which will lower your DPS during a boss, as well as improve your energy regeneration rate by 1 a second as per the "Foxhole" talent in the tree. so make sure you're in cover whenever you're DPSing. a slinger/sniper shouldn't be hindered by cover and instead revel in the benefits it provides. that and using trickshot more and I imagine your energy problems will almost entirely disappear.
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Shwarzchild's Avatar


Shwarzchild
08.05.2015 , 12:49 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by OMGITSJAD View Post
you're skipping way too many trickshots. namely after aimed shot and penetrating blasts....trickshots basically give you back 1 energy so long as you are at the peak of your energy regen because they cost 5 but your regen at that point is 6/s. start using trickshot more(a good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS use it when it's off cooldown, unless the target you're fighting is sub-30% and quickdraw isn't on cooldown) and you won't run into as many energy problems.

also you need to stay in cover and have no reason not to, especially as sharpshooter. to do 90% of your abilities you have to cast/channel them. while you cast/channel you have to sit still. while you sit still you may as well be in cover simultaneously. this will eliminate any pushback you will get which will lower your DPS during a boss, as well as improve your energy regeneration rate by 1 a second as per the "Foxhole" talent in the tree. so make sure you're in cover whenever you're DPSing. a slinger/sniper shouldn't be hindered by cover and instead revel in the benefits it provides. that and using trickshot more and I imagine your energy problems will almost entirely disappear.
wow. big difference just using trick shot off cool down and staying in cover as you suggested. had zero issues with energy management. Still only hitting 2.8. But, at least I'm sitting at a comfortable 2.8 without any problems. Not fantastic by any means, and I'm sure it'll drop by like a thousand when I hit a boss fight, but at least it's something.

OMGITSJAD's Avatar


OMGITSJAD
08.05.2015 , 03:47 PM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by Shwarzchild View Post
wow. big difference just using trick shot off cool down and staying in cover as you suggested. had zero issues with energy management. Still only hitting 2.8. But, at least I'm sitting at a comfortable 2.8 without any problems. Not fantastic by any means, and I'm sure it'll drop by like a thousand when I hit a boss fight, but at least it's something.
Raise your APM, get the 6-piece set bonus, and min/max your gear, and you'll see your numbers improve quite a bit.
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)